back to article ATM fees shake-up may push Britain towards cashless society

Thousands of free-to-use cash machines could be axed from Britain's high streets due to plans to cut fees that fund the network, banking industry group LINK warned last week. LINK has a strategy to minimise the impact to consumers due to a proposed reduction in fees over the next four years from around 25p to 20p per cash …

Page:

1. ad47uk

So we have something to hide because we want to keep our life private. i am so glad you trust our government, the police and local authorities, myself, i would not trust any of them as far as i can throw them.

1. Graham Cobb Silver badge

It isn't just the government... I always pay by cash in supermarkets because I don't want the shop, or the card company, profiling me. Particularly if they are thinking of selling the data on ("this guy buys a lot of wine -- probably a good idea to put his health insurance premiums up").

When the shops & banks are willing to pay me for giving them useful data (I would require well over 1% cashback) I will consider using cards.

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Username checks out...

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ATM fees haven't made the US cashless

While many banks offer free use of their own ATMs, if you use others you might pay fees totaling a few dollars depending on the ATM. I rarely use an ATM other than my bank's, but if I'm forced to I withdraw a couple hundred dollars so that I at least feel like I'm taking less of a hit based on percentages :)

1. Kiwi
      Black Helicopters

Re: ATM fees haven't made the US cashless

I rarely use an ATM other than my bank's, but if I'm forced to I withdraw a couple hundred dollars so that I at least feel like I'm taking less of a hit based on percentages :)

I wonder if that's part of their scam scheme conspiracy nutter stuff careful planning to mitigate problems.

Higher fees lead to more people taking larger amounts of cash to avoid fees. This increases the odds of someone leaving an ATM having a large amount of cash on them, making them a better target for a mugging. The more people get mugged carrying cash, the more people decide to move away from cash. The more people move away from cash.....

(Where's our tin-foil-hat icon?)

2. ad47uk

Cash for me

I prefer cash, apart from when I have to use the stupid self scan machines, they give change in 10s and 5 pence pieces. maybe another way to get people to use cards.

I do not have a contactless card, I told my bank to send me a normal card and that is what they have done, not sure how long they will keep doing that. I used Android pay on my phone once, just to see how it works, but I now taken it off my phone deregistered my card.

i can spend cash anywhere, something you can not do with a card or phone payments.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Cash for me

"I do not have a contactless card, I told my bank to send me a normal card and that is what they have done"

Did you check?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I still like cash for small purchases.

Every credit/debit card transaction that you can avoid for trivial transactions reduces your exposure to potentially compromised POS systems and merchants with crap IT security. Getting your credit card data stolen because you bought a $1K camera or suit is one thing, getting it stolen because you wanted a soft drink for $2 and were cashless is just a bad idea.

4. mark l 2 Silver badge

If your a small business, having to accept card payments - especially for smaller transactions - cuts into your profit. If your customers pay in cash then you get the full amount of the transaction, if they want to pay with card you either have to add on a processing fee which could put some customers off purchasing or you have to take the hit and make less money per sale.

I always pay in cash when buying from a small local businesses, unless its an expensive transaction and I want the extra cover that my credit card gives me just in case the business goes under before I get my goods or service.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"If your a small business, having to accept card payments - especially for smaller transactions - cuts into your profit."

OTOH it means the money goes into your account without having to wait to take it to the bank which, these days, is becoming a longer hike. I wonder how the two aspects balance each other out. The fact that some shops offer cashback suggests that cards win.

5. Roopee Bronze badge
    Thumb Down

Cashless, No Thanks!

I work for myself and don't accept card payments (due to the extortionate cost), and don't find it a problem. Most of my clients pay directly into my bank, sometimes while I'm there (with encouragement and help if necessary, often if it's their first time). The rest pay by cash or cheque, approximately 50/50. I don't like the hassle of cheques but I don't want them to disappear do I don't penalise them, and I'm happy to have a continual supply of cash. Shops/petrol stations that don't accept cash lose my custom (eg Asda petrol) - their loss.

6. poopoo

A society where beggars have bank accounts and carry card reading machines? Sure, we are going to fix poverty sometime soon and create a fair and just society. In the meantime there are encampments of homeless people- communities within the community, in every UK city. Or do we just ignore abject poverty?

7. silks

Here's an update from the LINK ATM network, 14th December: https://www.link.co.uk/about/news/link-announces-strengthening-the-financial-inclusion-programme/

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon