back to article I love disruptive computer jargon. It's so very William Burroughs

Would you mind leveraging a time unit while I ideate my ecosystem? Sorry, I meant to say “Give me a minute while I sort my things out” but I’ve been writing a lot about disruptive technology this week. I must have zoned while dogfooding my hume-code for bugs… er, I mean “got carried away while proofreading my articles for …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you for resisting the temptation

WRT "new" jargon, I'm happy you resisted referring to us over here as USAians.

I don't know what that is, or where it came from, or even how you'd pronounce it ten times, fast; AFAICT it's harder than saying Unique New York ten times, fast or slow.

1. BeakUpBottom

Re: Thank you for resisting the temptation

Personally I started using it to annoy Canadians who throw a massive strop about being called American, and then an even bigger one when you point out they are, in fact, just as American as you USAians.

Although I suspect it doesn't really have the desired effect. I could say Yank, but there was some confusing explanation I got as to how that doesn't work either.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Thank you for resisting the temptation

While we're at it: Merkin.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do not go to Canada and call them Americans. You might find your self at the wrong end of hockey stick.

You might even get the chance to compare the NHS to the canuck medical system. beavers and all.

1. BeakUpBottom

But, they live in America, just as much as Mexicans and that bunch in the country inbetween ... I swing a field hockey stick myself, maybe that's why I've yet to get the the deserving beating from the Canadanadians I know.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ahh, another Canadanadians user!!

1. peter_dtm

North North Americans surely

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not metric

> I can spot American writing 1.6km away

They use miles in the US of A. And Fahrenheit and fluid ounces... other other cool old skool shit.

1. cklammer

Re: Not metric

>> I can spot American writing 1.6km away

> They use miles in the US of A. And Fahrenheit and fluid ounces... other other cool old skool shit.

I am not familiar with medieval measuring units ...

1. JPeasmould

Shouldn't it be 79.5 chains anyway?

2. Martin an gof Silver badge

> I can spot American writing 1.6km away

They use miles in the US of A.

WHOOSH!

Instructions:

• click on the above link
      • type "1" in the "Miles" box
      • click on "calculate"
      • learn something

M.

4. Chemical Bob

it all sounds jolly tuneful in my head

You're welcome.

5. Herby

What, me worry?

I always called it FORTRAN.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: What, me worry? When Heaven is Available. Are you Mad? I Kid U Not

And now are y'all Registered as being Privy to the Facility Running Below* ...... with Augmented Virtual Reality Applications for Future Beta-Testing of Superior Prime Quality Product/Earthly Alien Productions ...... AI Based Programs with Quantum Communication Channels Guaranteeing Security Needs and Feeds.

And the newest versions of Fortran, Herby, .... Enabled to Handle Delivery and Drivering of Virtual Reality ProgramMING ........ with Ab Fab Fabless NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive IT AIMentoring and AIMonitoring for Future Leading Developments, Default Provided ..... thus to avoid and/or mitigate any Hellish* Problems.

Should El Reg Engage and lead with the Learning of Secret Sacred Practices in the Future that do Almighty Lead, Every Day?

6. d3vy

Dear compuserv guy... If you think it's promounced JIFF then I think you need to speak to your jrafick designer... You know the one who does your logos and other jraficks.

7. AK565

I live under a rock....

I thought "technobollox" was utterly brilliant!

For the record, very few Americans have any idea what a "Babelfish" is...

8. Joe Beets

Did anyone mention....

that the name Burroughs was the name of a computer company?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like