back to article Apple: Our stores are your 'town square' and a $1,000 iPhone is your 'future'

Apple has summoned friendly press to its new Cupertino campus to christen the Steve Jobs Theater with the introduction of a new set of products to hit the shelves this Fall. CEO Tim Cook used the occasion to showcase updates to the AppleTV and Watch lines, while a new, eye-wateringly expensive iPhone model stole the show. …

Page:

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Apple Pay

This is already a p-in-the-a with the fingerprint sensor. Now am I going to have to go into contortions* to show my face to the frigging phone cam down where the cashier keeps the payment terminal?

*Here's a clue - No. Flashing a Visa card is soooo much easier.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Low-end

I was waiting to see if the iPhone SE would get tweaked, because my 5s is on the way out. Nope. Ah well. An SE will do me. It's a *phone*, FFS. It fits in my pocket. The screen is big enough to see Waze when I'm driving. My contacts and calendars live on it, and are usable. What else are these things for?

1. ZillaOfManilla

Re: Low-end

I just ordered an Xperia XZ1 compact for similar reasons, the battery charging tech interests me, will be great if it can extend the life on the battery as it's supposed to.

3. Salestard

Surprisingly Quiet Crowd

Previous launches have been stuffed full of professional whoopers - even by American standards of explicit enthusiasm for things, they've been noisy. I recall the one where they changed the Game Center UI from the baize card table themed thing, and the crowd literally went wild... over a frigging skin.

This one was notably subdued though. True, Tim 'John Major' Cook doesn't evoke the rabid cultist like ol' PhoneJesus did, but did I sense disappointment in the assembled hackage?

As for the mobe itself, usual Apple form of trying to combine all the best bits from other manufacturers into an aesthetically pleasing slice, and charging the earth for it; A grand for a telephone is somewhat pricey, even if the stainless bit round the edge does polish to a beautiful shine. (On that note, I was under the impression that stainless steel was, by default, polished to a high shine?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surprisingly Quiet Crowd

On that note, I was under the impression that stainless steel was, by default, polished to a high shine?

In its raw form, stainless is just as dull of surface as non-stainless. The difference is that it doesn't immediately start oxidising so it *stays* shiny once polished, and it's fairly immune to the acids of fingerprints etc. However, if I bought a phone at that price, sticking it in a protective case would be about the first thing I'd do, followed by adding a matt, oleophobic film to the front.

I don't like shiny much, it brings out the OCD in me trying to keep it clean..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surprisingly Quiet Crowd

Previous launches have been stuffed full of professional whoopers

How much do you think a professional whooper gets, over in Merkinland? Do they put in training and warm up routines?

Maybe whooping is a niche like voice over actors, where there's any number of two-bit pretenders, but a clear hierarchy up to the handful of top talent A-listers who command megabucks, like Peter Dickson, or Alan Dedicoat in the UK.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did you expect anything else from Apple?

Fools and their money are soon parted ... how very true, even in this day and age.

I'll be sticking with my old-skool Nokia 3310. It does exactly what I need a mobile phone to do, make and receive calls.

1. Geriant

Re: Did you expect anything else from Apple?

OMG!! That is just soooooooo yesterday! LOL

2. macjules

And not forgetting that Apple, very quietly I might add, just removed App functionality from iTunes. From now on you have to download apps directly onto your phone. I presume that this is to help those poor unfortunate mobile networks ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

And not forgetting that Apple, very quietly I might add, just removed App functionality from iTunes...

Just noticed that - but for some time my Apple devices haven't sync'd apps with iTunes anyway, so they've all needed to download separately. Apple is absolutely crap at explaining the rationale behind this sort of change, or indeed even mentioning changes at all.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And not forgetting that Apple, very quietly I might add, just removed App functionality from iTunes.

I had not seen that, but I just checked and, frankly, it sucks. Now, according to Apple, you have to use iTunes as some sort of loading mechanism for apps that are no longer available from the App Store. It's an ugly fudge and it is the opposite of user friendly. I'm going to have a look at iMazing to see if that offers any help (if it wasn't so useful I would refuse to install it with that name), but that has an update underway as well so I'm not holding up much hope.

I'm actually going to email Apple, asking them if I can have the previous iTunes back. If enough people do that it may help.

5. Z80

Look into the light

I thought this was quite a striking image from Anandtech's coverage:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/11833/ssp_618_575px.jpg

My caption would be:

iPhone X: "You've made a very good decision."

Girl: "I've made a very good decision."

6. Matt Fowler

face-scan in non-voluntary situations?

I wonder how the face-scanning will play out in "police demand you unlock your phone for them" situations.

In legal terms it's likely to fall in the same category as fingerprint-unlock (not eligible for US 5th Amendment protections as it's not something-you-know), but I wonder how it will play out technically.

Also, will it unlock on a sleeping / unconscious face?

1. Mystic Megabyte
      Pirate

Re: face-scan in non-voluntary situations?

Also, will it unlock on a sleeping / unconscious face/ dead?

FTFY

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: face-scan in non-voluntary situations?

> I wonder how the face-scanning will play out in "police demand you unlock your phone for them" situations.

Same as for fingerprint unlocking: if you tap the hone button (or with the X, the power button) five times, the phone will require a passcode instead of a fingerprint.

And no, the phone won't unlock unless you are looking at it, so won't work on sleeping people.

7. nanchatte

Overpriced? Perhaps... But we'll soon see what the market will bear.

So when the govt. steps in to regulate pricing you guys are all like boo hiss govt.intervention etc... "let the free market speak."

And when a company sets an arbitrary price for something you're like "it's overpriced culttards."

How would you know if it overpriced? It's not even on sale yet. If you were a successful billionaire yourself, I'd be inclined to think you had some handle on the situation, but as you're writing an article for an online publication, I'll assume (perhaps wrongly) that you're not and you don't.

If you like the free market so much, let it speak and it will tell you whether the phone was overpriced or not. If it massively undersells and they end up marking it down after 6 months then, yeah, perhaps.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. mc nobby

Apple Town Square

Is it just me , or have Apple found a way to brand open space?

a Town square by the 1950's definition that apple seem to live and die by, would be open space

And no I don't fancy rocking up the the 'genius grove' with my android phone, I thought I was going to be dragged screaming from the Apple store the last time I took my phone out there.

10. Barry Rueger

Animoji

I'll stick with Olde Fashioned Texte Moji.

11. mr_souter_Working

Face ID

will it work in near total darkness first thing in the morning, when your head is half buried in the pillow, and you are struggling to wake up?

will it work when you are bundled up against the elements and have most of your face covered?

but seriously, an ID system that only works if you have your face uncovered and are looking at the phone?

seems like the wet dream of some NSA analyst.

and wireless charging? how many years late to the party? are we supposed to be impressed that they finally caught up?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Face ID

No iPhone X for Muslim women then...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No iPhone X for Muslim women then...

It has a PIN/password fallback.

2. HelpfulJohn

"No iPhone X for Muslim women then..."

Why not? Black hoodies can be photographed and the eyes might differentiate individuals.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

will it work in near total darkness first thing in the morning, when your head is half buried in the pillow, and you are struggling to wake up?

It uses IR for the imaging, so light levels are not an issue.

will it work when you are bundled up against the elements and have most of your face covered?

Is that really the time you want to use your phone? Answering is still possible. Or maybe this is just an attempt to make you buy the watch. In addition, it still has a PIN backup.

12. FuzzyWuzzys
    Facepalm

' "Animoji" icons that match the emoji's expression to your own face. '

Hmmm, sounds lot like an idea they had on the comedy show The Big Bang Theory to give a character the ability to understand other's emotions....Apple are just amazing, where do they get their ideas from!

13. kmac499

Come on people get with the programme.

Apple needs to sell lots of these little suckers so they can afford to buy the warp drive engines Area 51 got from the aliens. Then they can strap them on to their shiny new building (secret spaceship) and take off for Alpha whatever.

Please Please tell me some where on t'interweb there is a photoshopped picture of the 'campus' with a construction board saying "B Ark due for completion soon"

14. Potemkine! Silver badge

Baah-Baah

If people are stupid enough to pay so much for any new shiny hardware with an apple on it, why should Apple stop to take their money?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I the only one who couldn't give a fuck about this or are there others out there ?

16. Banksy

iPhone IX

So the IX is probably going to look like the X?

What is the advantage of a glass back supposed to be?

1. Naselus

Re: iPhone IX

The glass back is easier for Qi to pass through. It's actually a practical consideration. I can only imagine the scale of Sir Ive's tantrum over engineers dictating elements of his design.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Jony Ive has always considered manufacturing, since his student days onwards.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Jony Ive has always considered manufacturing

To judge by the number of scratched and cracked iPhones that I've seen, maybe he should turn his talent to the ownership experience, and the dismal durability of his creations. And whilst he's at it, he could have a look at that antediluvian UI.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I can only imagine the scale of Sir Ive's tantrum over engineers dictating elements of his design.

The products Apple are churning out indicate that Ive gave up designing for Apple a long time ago.

2. nijam Silver badge

> What is the advantage of a glass back supposed to be?

So they can claim the Google Pixel copied it.

17. trisul

Overpriced?

Years back, I paid that much for a Nokia 8810 and was happy with it before it broke. The iPhone X certainly has much more to offer than Nokia 8810 ever did, so what if you can buy a cheaper phone, even from Apple?

It's like saying a Bugatti is just overprice, because you can get a cheap Kia that drives you around in comfort. What sort of argument is this?

This is supposedly a tech rag, yet the neural network in silicon means nothing to the author, a $200 premium is all they are willing to discuss. This is like reading the advertising rag slipped under my door by the local supermarket.

Get real.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keats: A thing of beauty is a joy forever--no, wait, what?

If you've just dropped $1000 on a phone, you'll probably be quite keen on not breaking it. Which means that pretty glass thing is going to be shrouded in a case almost immediately, no? At which point, what was the point?

I commend Apple for making good looking objects, but in this case, I'd wager that well north of 99.9% of iPhone Xs will be wearing a plastic burqa in no time.

I'm also curious if it is possible to steal an unlocked iPhone X by grabbing it, punching the victim, and then quickly showing them the phone so that their face unlocks it. Hmm, must try it out sometime...

1. Triggerfish

Re: Keats: A thing of beauty is a joy forever--no, wait, what?

If you've just dropped $1000 on a phone, you'll probably be quite keen on not breaking it. Which means that pretty glass thing is going to be shrouded in a case almost immediately, no? At which point, what was the point?

Merely anecdotal but most iphone owners seem less likely to have a case from what I have noticed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Merely anecdotal but most iphone owners seem less likely to have a case from what I have noticed.

I've noticed that. And a hell of a lot of cracked iPhone screens that they're in no hurry to pay to have replaced.

1. Triggerfish

I've noticed that. And a hell of a lot of cracked iPhone screens that they're in no hurry to pay to have replaced.

Seen em broke, seen em repaired, seen em carried without a case again, seen em broke etc. Pretty sure many screens get repaired and go through this cycle. But yes the amount of shiny apple phones I have seen with big sodding cracks across the screen making all that design loveliness moot, it's like admiring the design of a Ferrari post crash with the bin lorry.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not me, usually I even have the case before the phone. I have no need to show the world that I have an iPhone, I need a device to work with so I am quite happy to stick it in a case. That also has major benefits when upgrading: as my phones have always lived in a case with a matte (oleophobic) screen protector they look as new when I sell or trade them in for an upgrade, which considerably adds to their return value.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple making a profit on cases too? Maybe that's the reason they made the case so thin that the camera lenses stick out and are thus liable to catch on almost anything - personally I would have made it all level and used the extra space for more battery power. Maybe that's a better (and less costly) mod than retrofitting an earphone socket to an iPhone 7? In any case (pardon the pun), I agree that this will be wearing a jacket in no time. That said, I've done that with my phones for, well, forever, because I protect my gear by default so it's an expected imposition anyway :).

I'm also curious if it is possible to steal an unlocked iPhone X by grabbing it, punching the victim, and then quickly showing them the phone so that their face unlocks it. Hmm, must try it out sometime...

Nope. They use the same system as when you try to change the password/PIN: you first have to provide again the password/PIN before it allows you to change it, so you'll need to keep the face around for longer (you're better off using the XKCD $5 wrench method and get the backup password :) ). I wonder how well they can be taken apart for parts, because that's really what determines their "theft worthiness", if there is such a word. Changing ownership without the owner's collaboration is very hard (it's even quite an effort to do WITH the owner's help if you've ever sold a iThing to someone else, you need to be quite meticulous).

19. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

In summary...

...a Samsung phone running WinPhone OS all wrapped up in a dated interface.

Still Emoji's eh?

20. David 138

Apple stores always remind me of pebble dashed council houses. Ugly, Grey and full of cheap furniture and overpriced Tech. So does this mean that the new town centre will be like their shared gardens? Overgrown and full off weeds, a knackers sofa and some car parts?

21. eSeM

I Can Wait ....

I think I will wait for next years XS

:-)

22. Andy 97

I'm just glad to see that Apple hasn't lost touch with it's customers in these austere times.

It's a phone, with a PDA function and if it wasn't for Android being the satanic love child of Google, we'd all be using [them] instead.

Some marketing plonker must have done too much coke methinks.

23. jmch Silver badge
    WTF?

Watch cellular??

"As the Watch requires an iPhone, the data consumption will be handled through the phone contract."

How does that work? If I understand the description, ie Watch's data consumption is taken from iPhone contract, and also presumably both phone and watch have the same phone number... but they each have a seperate SIM?

I thought multiple SIMs with the same number was a big no-no in GSM, or has that changed? If I call a number linked to multiple SIMs, how does the cellular network handle that? Will both devices ring?

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Watch cellular??

I was thinking the same thing. I have a backup phone (Lumia 520) that takes a different size SIM to most modern phones. Means mucking about with adaptors if I need to use it. The idea of having 2 phones with the same number looks great.

Maybe the forced connection between the two is the price of having a 2nd SIM on the same number?

2. Dave123

Re: Watch cellular??

Multiple devices with the same number has been supported for a long time. It's usually implemented using IN/CAMEL or for termination services only via functionality on the HLR. Most networks didn't bother investing in this type of functionality as their focus shifted to providing faster data services instead.

24. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The Apple Galaxy X?

Samsung's marketing department is going to have lots of fun with this.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disappointed with the BS

Come on, "deep" pixels? WTF? I like the idea of local facial recognition capabilities because that has at least not the issue with leaving the biometrics where you can get them (on the shiny case with TouchID) - until someone finds a way to record enough data. I'm betting Hamburg's CCC will be about the first to try, and possibly succeed :).

I hope it's accurate enough that it won't work after US Customs has been working you over to get you to unlock the phone, but in any case Id' switch it off for those occasions and revert back to a password or PIN as that is legally protected. Just in case you make the mistake of crossing the US border with confidential information..

In general it was interesting, although as always I had to wrestle with a profound allergy for their overuse of stock phrases like "amazing", "fantastic" et al, as the nation I hail from shares with UK Northerners a profound distaste for this kind of self-preening. I presume the US needs this, but it sure as hell would create the wrong impression in a boardroom meeting with our company.

Was there anything *new*? Umm, apart from the facial recognition thingie and VR that seems to work well and hopefully precise enough to support medical applications (imagine an MRI projected prior to surgery) not so much, it was all more a progression, like the upcoming 18 core iMac. So, lots of evolution, not so much revolution.

BTW, I don't WANT phones to have better and louder speakers - there are already enough idiots playing songs on handsfree and ignoring years of sound engineering by holding the phone at a 45º angle and talking into its edge whilst on handsfree. Killing that off via angle detection and a mandatory 2 hour video lesson on the progress made in dual mic echo and environment cancellation techniques before it could be used again would have been more beneficial, but that's just me before coffee.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like