back to article Microsoft admits to disabling third-party antivirus code if Win 10 doesn't like it

Windows 10 does disable some third-party security software, Microsoft has admitted, but because of compatibility – not competitive – issues. Redmond is currently being investigated in the EU, Germany and Russia over alleged anti-competitive behavior because it bundles the Windows Defender security suite into its latest …

Page:

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Had Symantec Endpoint installed on a Win10 box. WIn10 updates itself, Symantec ***** itself, and won't run.

So now you have to get an update from Symantec just to stay away from Ickdoze Defender...

1. Kiwi
      Megaphone

Had Symantec Endpoint installed on a Win10 box. WIn10 updates itself, Symantec ***** itself, and won't run.

How is that any different from the normal state of affairs?

So now you have to get an update from Symantec just to stay away from Ickdoze Defender...

Of the two, Defender is by far the better product.

Symantec is just. Ug. No. If I find it on a machine I buy (not been a while but hey) the machine is either returned to vendor (though I would often check first) or formatted and built from a clean OS install. Preferably a new HDD, as once it's had that malware on it you cannot be sure that the drive firmware isn't infected.

1. Charles 9

If you're that paranoid, should you not be concerned that your drive firmwares were infected at the factory from which there is no escape?

2. Frank N. Stein

Microsoft is lying. Windows 10 uninstalled Norton after a reboot, until I disabled Windows Defender. Then, Norton installed and has been working fine, ever since. Microsoft will probably attempt to enable Windows Defender in some future update, but if it does that and removes Norton, I will disable Windows Defender and reinstall Norton. Screw Microsoft.

1. Hans 1
      Headmaster

MS needs to know when it can upgrade the Windows 10 XPerience, you need to install a "readiness" update that checks hardware, software etc are expected to work with the new version.

Now, prior to updating, it should say: Please update software x as the new Windows 10 version we are about to install will not work very well with this ... easy. I guess they do not want that, because it is a way to cling to the Windows 10 version you currently have.

Uninstalling software without consent clearly falls under the Computer Misuse Act.

Sue them to hell!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That really teaches MS

By installing something even worse!

Sorry, Norton and other Virus scanners are low hanging fruit for jokes.

1. Kiwi

Re: That really teaches MS

Sorry, Norton and other Virus scammers are low hanging fruit for jokes.

FTFY

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buy an iMac.

You'll never look back.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Buy an iMac.

Indeed. Bought one today. 27in 5K screen. Just pulling all my data and applications from my 2012 MBP as I write this. Simplicity itself. Something that MS is woeful at.

That screen is effing glorious.

1. Sixtysix

As a (med/large) corporate resource?

By choice? No chance.

Those of us who have to try and manage collections of Apple products on a corporate network have personal knowledge of a new and particularly frustrating dimension of hell.

Example from personal experience: We had 15 identical "professional" Apple products (from the same batch) operate in (at least) 4 utterly distinct ways in spite of the same setup/installs? Apple advice: return for replacement - but no help or explanation as to which ones were working "wrong" or why they chose to operate differently... utterly soul destroying experience.

Not having any official Apple store within 150 - 300 miles of most of the users for the recommended "drop in replacement" just made life worse...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Migration from PC to Mac is easier than from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Nightmare.

4. Howard Hanek
    Coat

Strategic Thinking

......so hiring those North Koreans on H1B visas turned out to be not such a great idea eh?

5. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

I haven't got a great deal of sympathy for Kaspersky given how long it took them to get KAV to work with Windows 10.

On Defender being bundled with the OS, it's responsible thing to do, just like IE, the user has a choice whether to install an alternative or not.

Oh, and Netscape killed Netscape, or have we forgotten the vaguely threatening adverts telling people they had to start paying for continued use of their products?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That was both a blessing and a curse. Blessing: Less friends becoming new customers to Kaspersky... and a curse: Me having to "Fix" all the existing Kaspersky installs...

... well, I would if I touched Win10.

6. EnviableOne

Mac is no solution their " it’s been built from the ground up with privacy and security in mind." slogan is a misnomer, it is just a PC with a different OS, that is now numerous enough for people to bother spending time writing or adapting viruses for it.

I have considered the idea of switching the org to Kubuntu Desktop and CentOS/RHEL servers

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like