back to article Two-thirds of TV Licensing prosecutions at one London court targeted women

Two-thirds of TV Licensing prosecutions in a London court were brought against women, according to an exclusive analysis of court data by The Register. We analysed three months of listings data from the City of London Magistrates’ Court in the UK. Of the 62 individual defendants who appeared in court charged with not paying …

Page:

1. Aladdin Sane

Cheaper, yes, but the whole point of the licence is that the BBC's revenue stream is separate from the government of the day, so that they are seen to be independent. No special receiving equipment (beyond a set top box for older TVs) is required to watch the channel.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't buy that argument that if its paid for by normal taxation then governments might be able to tamper with it. The license should go (to stop the free loaders from not paying) and to save cash by not having to have all the CAPITA BS, etc Fund it out of taxation but have it set in law that the BBC will be guaranteed its funding every year at a level of a figure + CPI, etc This would then make it very difficult for any government to "adjust" funding to suit its own agenda

1. strum

>have it set in law

You can't 'set' anything in law, that a future government can't unset. And they would.

2. tiggity Silver badge

Seen to be indy

Theoretically independent

But they rarely do anything much to inconvenience the government of the day, a few token gestures of pretending independence with the occasional govt critical piece but pretty much govt don't rock the boat lapdog.

Take news coverage, there has been plenty of "major" news this week or so that has various ramifications, everything from latest Trump team / Russia issues, NORKS very public "No Big Brother" behavior, rocket up the generals etc. and closer to home quite an important election over the Irish sea & lots of unrest over hard Brexit.

..However, whenever I caught BBC news it seemed obsessed with Oscars run up then results / envelopes issues, the sort of stuff that once would have been the light, amusing "and finally" feel good ending to the news is now the lead story.

Bread and circuses via the BBC

2. Brenda McViking

RE:Confused of Canada

So to try to answer your question: there is very specific wording that governs the TV licence. The BBC have a charter, which ensures it is at arms length from the government, is not wholey funded by the taxpayer, and also has rules governing how it is to operate such as being available to all. This also prevents it using general taxation or subscription methods to be funded (though this could change with a change in laws). The charter is renewed every 10 years, and has been deliberately set up to preserve the status quo.

The rules:

In order to watch TV programmes as they are being broadcast in the UK, you must have a TV licence. As of last year, to watch iPlayer (the video on demand service of the BBC) you must have a TV licence.

If you don't fall into those two categories, you don't have to have a licence. So for me, I have Netflix & Amazon subscriptions and only watch TV on demand and not iPlayer - i don't require a licence. I have TVs but they're all for console gaming or watching DVDs. I still don't require a licence.

Personally I would object to having to pay the BBCs bills because I don't use their content.

Would it work out cheaper if paid via general taxation? probably. But then I would have to pay and the selfish type of capitalist I am, I don't want to pay for something I don't use, nor, in my opinion, find of benefit to the public at large. (Though you'd find plenty of my countrymen willing to argue it is of public benefit)

If they went to a subscription model, you'd still have people like me not paying, the effect of general inertia of the populace and the lack of people succumbing to their threats so it would almost certainly raise costs for those who wanted it if the BBC wanted to maintain it's current level of funding. Not to mention that plenty of people don't watch the BBC but do watch other broadcasters and currently legally have to pay the BBC, and wouldn't have to under subscription.

So we're stuck in this ridiculous situation where it's an apparently optional cost, requiring significant knowledge of the loopholes to avoid (as I do), and using threats and legally powerless enforcement officers to shake down those who are suspected of evasion. It is very deliberately kept vague as to what rights their enforcers have (actually very few, though they give the impression they are the equivalent of the police with search warrants) and as such, hundreds of people are prosecuted every year when their only way of catching such people is to get them to self-incriminate themselves. Whilst I object to freeloaders, I object more to the enforcement methods which no other organisation would ever get away with, and thus, I (legally) do not pay for a TV Licence.

1. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Alert

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!!??

You need a license in the UK to watch TV?

Okay, y'all are a sovereign nation and can do what you want. But, I think your government is just a bit overreaching to require a license to watch TV. I hope, for your sake, that Brexit was just the beginning and you continue to remove the layers of government which are controlling you.

1. Commswonk

Re: Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!!??

I don't want to enter the realm of "ethnic stereotyping" but can we conclude from the "y'all" that you are the US?

In the UK we have a broadcasting system that provides 3 television channels (BBC 1, 2, & 4) that are transmitted sans advertising. (BBC 3 is now on - line only.) Those channels (along with something like 7 radio channels from the same organisation) have to be paid for and it is the licence fee that constitutes that payment. (Your "license" is perhaps another clue as to your whereabouts!)

If your alternative to our arrangement is the Merkin Model then for my money we'll just stay as we are, thank you very much. And FWIW if I'm going to be "controlled" by someone then I'd rather it was by a layer of government than by Rupert Murdoch and his like. The government does not control the BBC, although it would almost certainly like to; listen to or watch much of the BBC's output and the absence of government control is all too apparent.

Again FWIW the UK is not unique in requiring a licence.

1. TheTick

"If your alternative to our arrangement is the Merkin Model then for my money we'll just stay as we are, thank you very much."

But a great many of us Brits don't want to stay where we are thank you very much. However we are forced to under the threat of violence (ultimately jail if you are stubborn). The only way to avoid is is not to watch TV even if you are not watching BBC.

Thankfully it's a ton easier now with Netflix etc to get by and I don't pay those b'stards a penny.

1. strum

>under the threat of violence

Bullshit.

2. Patrician

I don't think you quite understand the situation here; the license fee covers three terrestrial + one online TV channel and seven (I think) radio stations, all of which are advertising free; a one hour programme on the BBC lasts, pretty much, for an hour with no effort to sell me crap I've no interest in.

3. JulieM Silver badge

But if quality advertisement-free broadcasting had to be funded from general taxation, then the broadcaster might rightly or wrongly be seen as being somewhat beholden to the government of the day. As things stand, governments have traditionally been afraid of the BBC ("Bolshevik Broadcasting Collective" is what the Conservatives used to refer to it as, and Labour always considered the BBC a Tory mothpiece) although recent events have embarrassed the BBC and emboldened the government.

1. Triggerfish

Well I suppose we could go the American way and instead of having the goverment enforcing things leave it to the corporations, tell me are you in a comcast, AT & T, or Verizon country? sorry I mean operating territory, oops no state thats the word isn't it?

2. JaitcH
    FAIL

BBC Licence Tracers Little More Than Thieves

My late Mother, after she was widowed, was always very reluctant to open the door to strangers,

One day there is a knock at the door, which she refused to acknowledge, and the knocking persisted for some time during which she persisted in not answering the door.

The intruder seemingly went to a neighbours, introduced himself, provided ID and commenced to acquire a physical description of my Mother - all second hand.

A few weeks later she was summonsed to court and in her stead she was represented by my brother.

The 'complaint' was wholly fabricated by the Licence Enforcer but made believable by him describing someone he had never met. My brother produced her birth certificate (which made her 87 at the time of the 'offence') along with an Affidavit from a TV repair person that stated the signal level in that part Buckinghamshire required an external antenna and that there was none. The witness further attested to the fact the only TV set was in a closet, that was filled with bric-a-brac and dust and not in working condition.

Licence Enforcers are nothing less than crooks without shame.

The case was dismissed with costs against the Enforcer, personally!

1. Swarthy
      Happy

Re: BBC Licence Tracers Little More Than Thieves

I love a happy ending.

3. MJI Silver badge

Anything to ruin crapita

BBC is pretty good, best we have as a traditional broadcaster in the UK, general taxation would be better for me financially and also worse for Crapita (good) but it is independant of the government and is more or less neutral.

As above left wingers say right wing and right wingers say left, means they must be in the middle.

they also keep ITV and C4 honest.

The idea of all channels like ITV fills me full of horror

4. JulieM Silver badge

Big opportunity missed

I think a big opportunity was missed recently. With the switch-over from analogue to digital broadcasting, it should have been mandated from day one that every receiver (including set-top boxes) must incorporate a smartcard reader, so that the BBC channels could eventually have been broadcast scrambled.

That would mean that if you didn't pay, you couldn't watch, and no need for enforcement mobs. It would also alter the payment model from per-household to per-set; but cards could be swapped about as required in houses with more TVs than people. It wouldn't necessarily be less fair, just different.

And I speak in the capacity of someone who lived for awhile without a TV set, and was falsely assumed to be watching without paying, and someone whose family income while growing up derived ultimately from the TV licence payer.

1. Jonathon Desmond

Re: Big opportunity missed

The opportunity wasn't missed at all. It was avoided by a country mile.... Greg Dyke saw to that on purpose.

Freeview was deliberately designed so as to not support smartcards, making it easier for the BBC to resist any potential push to a subscription model.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/sep/17/broadcasting.digitaltv

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/why-sky-is-not-the-limit-112213.html

http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php?topic=2.5

.... And, of course, you could read his book. I wouldn't recommend it though.

1. strum

>Freeview was deliberately designed so as to not support smartcards,

Twaddle. 'Freeview' wasn't designed by the Beeb. They took over an already-existing system (OnDigital), which expressly _did_ support smart cards. My first Humax had a card slot.

1. Jonathon Desmond

At least I had the courtesy to quote some sources in my comment rather than 'I used to own...'

It's not twaddle. The point was that by building and deploying a system that did not use smart cards or encryption (and that was the main difference between Freeview and ITVDigital) there is an incredible amount of consumer inertia now built up making it almost impossible to switch to a BBC subscription model over DTV anytime soon. All those TVs with built in tuners that would suddenly become useless.....

Which was the whole idea. Greg Dyke admits it in his book. Go and read it if you don't believe me, but I did try to save you!

5. Grunchy Silver badge

James May Reassembler

Hey.......

I've been watching James May programmes off youtube here in Canada, including that one episode when he put a toy train back together for entertainment.

Am I supposed to be paying youse guys?

You're not gonna send me a big bill to pay or something are ya. Dang it.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: James May Reassembler

Nope. Either the YouTube advertising fees are going to BBC Worldwide, or it's an infringement of their copyright and will eventually get taken down in the perpetual game of whack-a-mole.

In the UK the BBC has no adverts at all - and no product placement either.

In other countries BBC programmes are sold by BBC Worldwide to various broadcasters, mostly advert-driven.

1. Tachikoma

BBC has plenty of adverts, for its own stuff and there's plenty of product placement and endorsement. Just look at the disproportionate amount of positive coverage Apple get both on the BBC news website, BBC Click, news, etc, funnily enough most of the presenters use Apple products, and I'm sure they paid full price for them, honest. Then there's things like the Book Review which is just licence payer funded advertising for the author.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If you want to take that to the nth degree then talk shows are about nothing more than flogging stuff, and music radio is nothing more than an advert-fest for new releases, intertwined with interviews with anyone else with an "interesting" story to tell that invariably links to flogging something.

6. earl grey
    Stop

who opens their door to strangers?

I'm not too worried about it, but don't expect wife or kids to ever open the door to strangers.

You missed the "no trespassing" sign?

I don't know you...you need to leave now before the sheriff gets here.

1. Tom Paine

Re: who opens their door to strangers?

jesus, American paranoia, there's nothing like it...

Strangely enough, here in the UK I have no qualms about opening my metroland front door to complete strangers, just because they're strangers. The world's full of people I've not met yet, but I don't lie awake worrying that they're planning to murder me, because that would be insane. I don't actually know who's knocking until I open it, anyway, there's no spyhole. But that's because no-one don't knock on the door then burst in and beats up and/or robs the inhabitants. Does that happen in the US? Seriously?

7. JulieM Silver badge
    Boffin

Why women?

So what factors might be causing women to be over-represented among licence evaders?

1. The enforcement gangs, who are paid by results, find women easier targets.

2. Single men are more likely than single women to pay their TV licences.

3. Single men are more likely than women successfully to evade paying the TV licence.

4. In two-parent families with one parent staying at home to look after the children during the daytime when enforcement officers are most likely to call, it is more likely to be the father who is out at work and the mother who ends up taking responsibility.

5. Single men are more likely than single women to live without a TV.

6. This is just so much more Beeb-bashing from the rich, advertisement-funded private media.

It's an interesting question .....

1. Tom Paine

Re: Why women?

(7) chance?

8. Herby

fees and the like...

Well, here in the good 'ol USA somethings have fees. In my case I have a nice XM (satellite) radio, and I pay a nice fee on a quarterly basis. I gave them my receiver number (a 32 bit hex encoded thingy), and they let my receiver work. If they didn't receive the $$$ (I turned off the credit card, or some such), I suspect that my nice radio (I listen to a '60s radio channel) would go silent.

It is a wonder that the beeb didn't have this for TVs and license fees. It would have eliminated all sorts of problems, and enforcement stuff.

Yes, some most american TV is a wasteland. In one hour we only get 45 minutes of actual TV worth viewing, but it does pay the bills. My wife likes her TiVo so she can skip the nasty stuff at high speed. Then again, every once in a while (it is rare!) an advert is amusing, or (shudder) informative. Life goes on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: fees and the like...

I live about 600 miles south of London.

I point a dish at the Clarke-belt and receive & watch around fifty BBC/UK non encrypted TVs signals.

I do not pay Crapita for a UK tv-license, the door-to-door guy hasn't been round recently.

It's called "FreeSat" and it is free. . . .some weeks there are three or four interesting programmes shown!

9. Andy Tunnah

It's HOW much?!

Honestly didn't know how much a TV license is. There is no way in HELL I'd pay that much, even if I did watch the Beeb

(I don't have a license because I don't watch TV, nor do a I stream it. Torrent it a lot though..)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i own several kitchen knives.. does that make me...

...a serial killer? Every household is assumed guilty.

. read the rules.. if you have a device for ps3, dont install i player. dont have a subscription to sky or cable tv, netflix or amazon..etc.

. i use my device for pc, and games console and DVD / BLURAY.

. Don't invite them in.

. Don't open the door - shout though it if necessary

. If you do decide to enage (via the closed door) repeat the words out loud "No thank you. i don't need one. Go away" as you would with any other uninvited doorstep hassler.

.Ignore the junk mail. Dont bother reading i. I signed one once saying i don't need a license.. then a few months later it all started again. .. dont bother with it.

.I own a computer... does that make me a hacker? - don't be guilted or intimidated bt aggressive tactics.

.Be firm in your assurance.

.Offer nothing in any way. It's a doorway to counter argument.

.Be polite, yet also dismissive.

.Good luck! :)

11. Cheshire Cat
    Thumb Up

Seems a good deal to me

Those of us outside the UK are wondering why UK people complain about paying only $145/year for access to the whole of the BBC. I would gladly pay so little for such a huge number of advertising-free decent programs.

Try living in Au/NZ for a bit with only Sky at 50 quid/month that is 40% advertising by time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seems a good deal to me

"Try living in Au/NZ for a bit with only Sky at 50 quid/month that is 40% advertising by time."

SKY Subscription is optional. Do you get legally threatening letters because you don't subscribe to SKY?

Theres a difference between threats and marketing material.

If you did, you would just vpn/proxy to sites where the video material is available thereby evading the need for license. But what if you dont use TV at all except for DVD, computing and games console? You're sill liable to intimidation tactics.

You dont know how good you have it. Try living in the UK .

1. Hans 1

>Try living in the UK .

No way in hell, has nothing to do with TV license, though.

Mind, I pay 138 euro per year for TV, we pay that as we pay local tax. They have people enforcing the payment of this ... I had no TV for a few years, all I had to do was declare I had no TV, and I did not need to pay. When I then got a new TV, for the kid's console, when you buy you must give name/address/etc ... pretty sure you can BS them, however, you are then alone if you need a warranty on the TV.

Anyway, 138 euro for TV programs full of French, and a shit load of ads ... thanks, but no ... we don't watch TV but since I have the apparatus to receive, I must pay.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

$145/year

ha! you need to do currency conversion

as of right now: 3/3/2017

AUD $ 145 AUD = GBP £89.56 GBP

GBP £145 GBP = AUD $ 234.76 AUD

but its matters not. The consistent persecution is fundamentally wrong.

3. Mark York 3 Silver badge
      Joke

You just gave me a flashback to NTNON - Points of View Sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzS8yW8INA

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An out of date business model. If BBC want to be paid they need to keep with the times and switch to a subscription model, like most content providers nowadays.

I don't have a TV license. I have 2 TVs in my home but I don't need a license as they are only connected to Fire TV sticks and the main one is also connected to a PC as a secondary monitor. I don't watch any live TV other than Call the Midwife, which I watch at my partner's home which is covered by a license.

I've been getting various letters from TV licensing for the past 3 years now and they all instantly go in the bin. If someone comes to the door and I'm not expecting anyone they are ignored.

I've not been prosecuted for anything. I've done nothing wrong and have no reason to speak to these people.

A few years back I did watch BBC news and various other live programs and I had a license. I've even appeared on BBC TV (and radio) myself a few times as an expert on a certain subject but I now have nothing to do with them as they are no longer unbiased and most definitely have an agenda.

1. Tom Paine

An out of date business model. If BBC want to be paid they need to keep with the times and switch to a subscription model, like most content providers nowadays.

That's demonstrably false. BBC income is holding up and they're still producing an enormous number of superb unique programmes with it. (Along with a lot of crap, yes, but, I'm a Radio 4 junkie, has a commercial model ever produced a channel of such quality, anywhere? ever?)

13. Tom Paine

Couple of things

(1) a bit of basic stats. With a sample size n=60, what's the std deviation for a 40/20 gender split? How likely is that to happen by chance?

(2) "...a 20-year-old woman living in a £400,000 house in Surrey"

£400k barely buys a basha in the woods in Surrey, this makes it sound like some sort of mansion.

14. Colin Tree

dark ages

Grow up England

http://www.freeview.com.au/

you're living in the dark ages

what a con

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like