back to article Who do you want to be Who? VOTE for the BBC's next Time Lord

Peter Capaldi will demateralise as the 12th Time Lord this Christmas after four years. Capaldi was cast as Doctor Who by franchise owner the BBC in 2013 but will bow out with a regeneration during this year's Christmas special. Regenerations are always a reflective and throat-tightening event. Thanks, BBC – there goes my …

Page:

1. Nolveys
    Unhappy

Can I Vote For David Bowie?

Oh...I can't.

;(

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Can I Vote For David Bowie?

You could vote for Sting though :-)

2. Hilibnist

Not more of the same

I can't think of a Doctor I didn't eventually enjoy (can't blame the actors for the writing) but I think the new incumbant has had the best chance when he's been an obvious contrast to his predecessor. David Tennant and Matt Smith were a bit too similar for my liking (young and full of laughs), so poor ol' Matt had a hard time putting his own stamp on the character.

Gravitas is a definite must-have though. Peter Capaldi (without the guitar or specs) brought that back to the part in a way that the younger actors couldn't always portrey alongside their goofy scripts. After all, this is a guy who has lifetimes of experience; he's at his best when that shows.

What about Ivanno Jeremiah (Humans, Max) as the Doctor? Definitely a calm contrast to Peter Capaldi's fire.

1. cray74
      Trollface

Re: Not more of the same

but I think the new incumbant has had the best chance when he's been an obvious contrast to his predecessor

So...Vinnie Jones?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoever it is I want to see Katherine Kelly Miss Quill from Class as the companion.

4. Toltec

Sanjeev Bhaskar could be good in the role

5. Dazed and Confused

Harriot Harman

Then we can all just hope some Dalek gets lucky.

6. cjcox

My recommendation

I recommended to the BBC a "fun" but risky suggestion. Risky in that he's probably not interested.

I suggested American actor/model Shemar Moore.

A "buff" Doctor could be a lot of fun. Could bring some lost viewship back as well.

7. Chris Jasper

Rowan Atkinson in all seriousness

8. DrBobK

Chris Eubank

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One episode special

Far-rage as Who with STASI May, his sidekick. The TARDIS will whiz them back 67M years, they step out into a mist... a T-Rex bites their heads off. May is consumed, Far-rage staggers back through the door for re-geration game season 14.

10. Blitheringeejit
    Happy

Just like last time there was a vote on this...

...I despair that Maggie Smith is not included in the shortlist. Or Benjamin Zephaniah.

But if we have to stick with white males, isn't it about time Billy Connolly got a go? He's done every other bloody thing.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Re: Just like last time there was a vote on this...

The only man to ever die in a Muppets movie? Aye, Billy Connolly would be interesting as the Doctor.

11. The_Idiot

As a Matt-er of fact...

... much as I'd love to see the good Mr Tennant back (highly unlikely), or even Mr Smith (I've read he's said he'd like to come back) - can I go with another Matt? Constantine meets the Doctor, shabby raincoat and all - Matt Ryan! :-)

12. Red Bren

Same choice as last time

i think James Nesbitt would make an excellent Dr Who. He can carry off the right mix of madcap and menace.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cara Delevingne?!? seriously?, you having a laugh?

I leave, for your consideration, her portrayal of Laureline in the up and coming Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

A Thousand Planets? more like a thousand times no...

The part of the Doctor needs a character actor, not some passing fad or expedient 'politically correct' choice, by all means, have a female doctor, so long as the actress is up to the role, Oh, and please, no bloody USians, the leeches at BBC Worldwide can keep their fingers out of the pie..

I've no real candidates, but, hey, if they can bring Peter Cushing back for Star Wars, then I'll have a CGI Margaret Rutherford in full Madame Arcati mode as the next Doctor please..

1. Ty Cobb
      Alien

Re: Cara Delevingne?!? seriously?, you having a laugh?

Excuse me? You would deny Michael Shanks of Stargate and Saving Hope the role? He would be a damn fine Doctor.

How about even the gravelly voiced Ron Pearlman?

14. Alister

I wonder if Helen Mirren would consider it?

I think she'd be great as the Doctor.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Having heard the woman reading a version of Brerr Rabbit wherein said rabbit was extrajudicially detained and force-fed by anal infusion, I think she's a better candidate for the Master, or maybe Davros.

15. Charlie van Becelaere

John Barrowman

Clearly the time-space continuum would love the chance to see the timelines of the Doctor and Captain Jack intersect in some bizarre fashion, no?

16. ShadowDragon8685

Mmmmh. Seen a lot of good suggestions, seen a lot of crazy ones... Let's start from the top.

* Jeremy Clarkson would be great for a funsies one-off two-hour special, especially with Richard Hammond and James May as companions... As themselves, and rather bewildered as to why Jezza is acting more strange than usual. You can end it all when the real Jeremy Clarkson (played by Jeremy Clarkson, as himself,) shows up to track them down because they need to get filming, gets upset that some overweight tosser in a police box nicked his mates and starts a fistfight... With himself... That ends with the two of them toppling over a railing in the TARDIS, falling out of shot. Then the Gong o' Doom starts ringing, the real Jezza comes sprinting out and heading for the exit saying that he's made a terrible mistake and they need to just run. Cue trio, exiting from the TARDIS and off-screen sound of some kind of supercars starting up and burning rubber away, and then the real next Doctor climbs back up, and says something like "What a bunch of [CENSORED]."

*Sir Patrick Stewart or Sir Ian McKellan would be too like Capaldi... But Sir Patrick Stewart AND Sir Ian McKellan would be interesting. Two old guys who've had far too much of this nonsense, yet not nearly enough of this nonsense.

* Rowan Atkinson caught me offguard, but yeah, I could see that, actually. Blackadder proves he's more than capable of doing one character who's capable of being bitterly caustic and cynical, serious, and yet funny at the same time.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be someone nobody has ever even thought of as the Doctor. And hopefully, it'll be good. I had severe misgivings about Capaldi, but now I'm kind of sad to see him go.

17. Daggerchild Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Alterangular

To think about it from the other angle, what kind of Doctor would you need to try and counter the Trump/Brexit age?

Personally, I want to see Capaldi go darkside as a reaction to all the cruelty/stupidity, requiring his companion to actually force a regeneration/reroll to stop him. I think Capaldi would appreciate getting his teeth into that.

The next Doctor would need to work on reattaching a culture to reason, and how all simple solutions are delusions. I vote for the next Doctor being a teenage girl boiling with internal chaos and the horrendous realisation we're all still predatory animals wearing fake skins, lying to each other about how civilised we are, while she tears apart each reassurance the companions try and use with cold cruel clarity.

1. Richard 26

Re: Alterangular

"To think about it from the other angle, what kind of Doctor would you need to try and counter the Trump/Brexit age?."

Michelle Obama, obvs.

18. Daggerchild Silver badge

Why not both?

Howabout an unstable doctor who keeps flipping between two characters/genders.

There was a Gaiman story (Books of Magic I think) with a character (Constantine) who was male on one side of a portal, but a bladewielding woman (Rose) on the other side, to the shock of the unchanged protagonist, but no others.

19. brook_tno

Lenny Henry

would be ball bouncingly funny to see Chef yelling at some cyberman, or weeping angel about how their salmon mousse was complete s***!

20. Steve Dulieu

If we're going for a female Doctor, don't pussy about, get Katie Beckinsale in full on Selene mode...

21. jelabarre59

Asian

Perhaps as well as making The Doctor a woman, they could make her Asian...

My vote's on Hatsune Miku...

22. TWB

Julian Clary

or Jo Brand, or maybe Sandi Toksvig - though I cannot imagine any of them running around much.

I would like to see a non-white and/or non-male though and nothing made of it at all - no remarks from the new doctor when he/she appears about skin colour or sex - this could be truly non-racist and non-sexist.

23. Brad Ackerman

Susannah Harker, Judi Dench, Marina Sirtis, Lena Headey would be my additions to the list.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

David Cameron isn't doing anything...

Just sayin' :)

25. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Obscure cultural reference in three, two...

Is Misako Koba available?

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame Capaldi is leaving

It might be seen as treason by the "Tom Baker will always be the best doctor ever" crowd, but I think he was the best doctor ever. Just the right combination of rough edges, self doubt, braggadocio and deadpan. Plus he had the look in his eyes that someone who has lived 2000 years would probably have.

I have really hated the succession of younger and younger doctors, trying to make him into a pin up boy. The doctor should be middle aged or older. I'm fine with a woman, just don't make her a hottie, that's not what Doctor Who is supposed to be about!

27. Allan George Dyer

Judi Dench

or

Lenny Henry

28. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

None of the above.

Staphen "Rolling Thunder" Hawking it is.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shh!

[stage whisper] Rumours have it, the Beeb are going to suck up to Buck house and offer the part to Harrys gf.

30. simon gardener

"I'm the Doctor, but probably not the one you expected"

Its time to go back in time and give Paul McGann a few seasons as the 8th Doctor.

The 199x US tv Movie was frankly dreadful on many levels but McGann was great and when they did that very short little online Night of The Doctor episode just ahead of the 50th anniversary episode he shone.

Cant think of a single reason not to give the man a decent run at the role.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "I'm the Doctor, but probably not the one you expected"

"The 199x US tv Movie was frankly dreadful on many levels but McGann was great and when they did that very short little online Night of The Doctor episode just ahead of the 50th anniversary episode he shone."

I know, I know, I keep plugging Big Finish, no I don't work for them. But!!!! Paul McGann does a great job as the 8th Doctor on audio. And all the BF Who scripts get clearance from the Doctor Who team so are effectively canon.

1. WonkoTheSane

Re: "I'm the Doctor, but probably not the one you expected"

There were several nods to his Big Finish audios in "Night of the Doctor".

31. simon gardener

the missing option in your poll

the best and most interesting actor that can get to commit to at least 4 years

32. Richard Wharram

Aiden Gillen

Doctor Littlefinger.

33. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Happy

Sandy Toksvig

If it is to be a woman, then, how about Sandy Toksvig?

34. BongoJoe

My female vote...

...would be for Eva Green. Just for her wonderful stare that could wither whole planets.

35. Tubs

Just another option

Richard E. Grant?

He's done wild and wacky...

36. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

E̶x̶t̶e̶r̶m̶i̶n̶a̶t̶e̶!̶ E̶x̶t̶e̶r̶m̶i̶n̶a̶t̶e̶!̶

Brexit! Brexit!

Nigel Farage as Davros

37. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

Tony Blair

I wouldn't be surprised if the great middle east peacemaker has let it be known that he'd like the job. Probably wishing he could go back in time and plant some WMD for the weapons inspectors to find

38. Gio Ciampa

Harry Melling

Young enough for the fangirls...

...connected enough to the original show for the old guard...

39. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

Ummm

Have they thoroughly canvassed all the transgender clinics?

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hannah Waddingham.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-entire-universe/46142/the-entire-universe-review

41. PK

Zooey Deschanel ?

I'm fine with a black or female Doctor but accept that an American one might be a step too far though...

42. Pat Harkin

The Boy With Tape On His Face. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikhQVNyZIRw

Yes, I know. But just imagine...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like