back to article HBO slaps takedown demand on 13-year-old girl's painting because it used 'Winter is coming'

It turns out King Joffrey isn't the biggest scumbag at HBO after all. A father says lawyers at the cable TV network demanded his 13-year-old daughter's artwork be taken off the internet after she drew a lovely picture titled "winter is coming" and posted the image to arts'n'craft website RedBubble. "My daughter, who happens …

Page:

1. Unicornpiss
    Thumb Down

All this kind of idiocy ever does..

..is ultimately make companies like HBO look like assholes and harm them. How do they never learn? How can their collection of pointless savant lawyers and marketing folks not understand that this behavior will bite them in their smarmy asses when the (totally 100% predictable) backlash occurs? Doesn't anyone actually vet these requests before they go out, or is there just some spambot used for takedown notices?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This and Trump winning the election, the government of the United States is changing from a Democracy to a Plutocracy where wage earners will be slaves

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"This and Trump winning the election, the government of the United States is changing from a Democracy to a Plutocracy where wage earners will be slaves"

Changing?

Where have you been the last 30+ years (and the monopoly era pre world wars, etc.)?

3. julianh72

Winter is coming

I'm gonna download the image and get it printed on a tee-shirt - just because it will really piss off the HBO lawyers!

1. W4YBO

Re: Winter is coming

"I'm gonna download the image and get it printed on a tee-shirt - just because it will really piss off the HBO lawyers!"

Be sure to send Miss Wilcox a couple of pounds for her labors.

4. Emmeran

Winter is Coming

I heard that when I was a child (and that was long ago). Winter is coming and that's a fact, get your water fowl linear or it's gonna be a long, hard winter.

That has always been a warning call in the colder climes, nobody get's to own something we've always said.

1. Yugguy
      Headmaster

Re: Winter is Coming

gets

5. admiraljkb

Fimbulwinter FTW

Hmmm, for "art/entertainment/poetry/story" purposes, I interpret the phrase "Winter is coming" as referencing the "end of the world/Ragnarök" Fimbulwinter from Norse mythology. There is a REASON its a common phrase for literature/arts and such, even if the majority of the population doesn't understand the significance. Not sure how HBO can issue a takedown on that with a straight face, but I assume their lawyers aren't well versed outside of law classes?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Fimbulwinter FTW

I interpret the existence of the DMCA and copyright lawyers as a sign of coming Ragnarök

1. admiraljkb

Re: Fimbulwinter FTW

"I interpret the existence of the DMCA and copyright lawyers as a sign of coming Ragnarök"

Ugh, I think you're right. So Winter IS Coming!

6. Grade%

There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Think about it.

"Hey, how can we get into the public eye?"

"Some developmentally challenged child used our catch phrase in Australia."

"Perfect. Release the lawyers."

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Hardly. When Sony fucked up with the rootkit episode I didn't buy another thing associated with them for over 10 years.

7. MacroRodent

Melancholy Elephants

The story by Spider Robinson

http://www.spiderrobinson.com/melancholyelephants.html

is more relevant than ever.

How many three-word phrases that make some kind of sense are there in the English language? (eg. excluding things like "blue weep coffee", but allowing "cake has measles"). Seems like a problem similar to the one discussed in the short story.

8. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Hau my baas, die winter, hy is op pad...

1. Fink-Nottle

Summer must fall.

9. Bitbeisser

HBO? WTF!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'remember to dress warmly and bundle up in layers'

For a moment I read '... and bundle up in lawyers'. Because HBO is coming (after you), of course! And I'm afraid it will get even worse...

11. MrDamage Silver badge

Hows about some photoshopping?

Replace Ned Stark with Yoda, and use the phrase "Coming, Winter is."

Or a pic of a buxom Ariel diddling herself, eyes glazed and panting, with the phrase "Winter is cumming"

Or a pic of some jihadis, bundled up in cold weather gear, charging at the viewer, and the caption "Winter. IS coming."

The English language is sufficiently broad enough for us to be able to fuck with their precious trademark/copyright, and they won't be able to do a fucking thing about it.

12. GrapeBunch

Winter Is Here

This is proof of prior art of my trademark phrase for a drama set on a world a bit like our own, but most everybody's gone PTSD or Psychopathic because it really is boring to be stuck in the Iron Age for thousands of years.

The small company which produced my first computer trademarked the phrase "user-friendly" circa 1979, but I guess it didn't stick.

Of Our Discontent.

13. PhilipN Silver badge

Quietly beautiful picture

Thanks for publishing El Reg

14. hapticz

freedom of expression

a lawyers best activity is?, How to prevent people from excising their most valuable rights!

a class action lawsuit against HBO and any other slimy group of trademark holders would suit me just fine.

this is what happens when lawyers/barristers have nothing really important (make money) to do, they sit around, figuring out ways to intimidate the public, squeeze money out of 'the little folks', smoke their fat imported cigars and then give everyone the finger.

give HBO the "cold shoulder" they deserve. little girls lives matter MORE!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Winter is coming ...

I shall expect a cease and desist letter from HBO soon and will no doubt put it to the best possible use I can ... wiping my rear end with it.

16. Milton

Opportunity knocks

... for some enterprising business. Your first product could be seasonal tee-shirts, each bearing an original and appropriate landscape photo to go with simple phrases like -

"It's April: summer is coming"

and

"November now: winter is coming"

and perhaps also a line showing common orifices in buildings, called "Doors" and "Windows".

Stupid laws bring the law itself into disrepute.

17. Milton

Another tee-shirt

What will HBO's parasi-, sorry, lawyers do about a new line of clothing showing an original drawing of a classic out-of-copyright fairytale dragon accompanied by the word "Winter isn't coming"?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

After this news

I'll pirate their shows with a clean conscious.

19. hapticz

freedom of expression

"12/9/2016 2:37:41 AM"

wooops retracted, double post!

20. Stoneshop
    WTF?

Are they going

to sue every* sodding met office in the world too, as well as amateur meteorologists and almanac publishers and writers?

* not applicable to those in the tropics, and the lower latitudes of the subtropics. Void where prohibited. May contain allergenes. Certainly contains nuts.

21. mattkillen

Think of the meteorologists

Michael Fish wouldn't have tolerated this shit.

22. El Duderino
    Megaphone

Cunts

That is all

P.S.: winter is coming. In 12 days even.

23. Lee D Silver badge

OOohh, that would have provided me with months of entertainment at no cost if they'd done that to my daughter.

The "counter-notice" stuff sounds all scary and whatever, but I'd assert a good faith belief that they were talking b*****ks in a heartbeat and make it as expensive for them as I possibly could.

That's the kind of weekend project I like, along with correcting the junk mail that comes through my door, reporting "faith healers" to the advertising authorities when they claim to be able to cure stuff, and taking the smallest of personal complaints to the extreme when companies pull unnecessary junk like "Sorry, can't do that, data protection" when it's not actually anything to do with that.

A lot of companies have learned the hard way that a guy bored on the weekend, with a modicum of legal knowledge, and a desire to REALLY purge the world of this kind of piss-take can cost them more than their notice could ever have provided them. Especially when I add my costs to a running total stated in every letter after a certain point (i.e. we've established my complaint, you've asserted I'm wrong, it's gone back and forth, so from that point on I add on the price of every stamp, envelope and my time to every letter from that points onwards and demand you not only solve my [reasonable or I wouldn't even bother to get this far] complaint but those costs too now that it's gotten silly).

Hell, I just hope they would actually bite and fight to assert their claim, because I hate when companies do what they should on reception of a complaint, it takes all the fun out of it (my father-in-law does the same but he's refused to do it with certain companies because they do just refund/compensate you immediately without question, and it takes all the fun out of it, and then why punish the good guys?).

Hey, HBO. Winter is coming. That's a statement of fact, written in books long before you even existed. You don't own it, even if you have a trademark on it. That trademark is to stop COMPETITORS passing off as you, not to censor little girl's unrelated artwork. Your due diligence in asserting such claims just f***ed up royally, and I'd take you up on every offer of counter-filing, lawsuit, etc. just out of principle.

Here's hoping they are too stupid to spot the bad press and back down from such future endeavours. Where's the fun in that, when they are utterly in the wrong?

Hey, HBO, why don't you pick on Garry Kasparov:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winter-Coming-Vladimir-Enemies-Stopped/dp/1782397868

Or the Cambridge University Alumni store? Or any of the 13m hits I get for the phrase that have nothing to do with HBO or their TV series at all?

I know the answer. Because they would write back and tell you to f*** off at great expense to yourself, whereas a girl and her father won't.

Winter is coming, people...

1. VinceH

"That trademark is to stop COMPETITORS passing off as you, not to censor little girl's unrelated artwork."

Quite.

The site in question can print T-shirts from submitted artwork, and that's covered by the trademark - but while the image bears the phrase, the artwork is nothing whatsoever to do with Game of Thrones, it's a completely independent work, with the phrase added as a title afterwards. The girl is not a competitor, and is not passing off her work as relating to Game of Thrones.

Given other uses of the phrase, what's needed is for someone who has in the past used it in a commercial context - preferably predating the trademark, and where the phrase is used in a significant way and is recognisable from that use (which rules out simply being used in a line in a book or whatever) - to produce T-shirts with it in the context of their work.

Then we could all invest heavily in popcorn companies (or just buy lots of popcorn) and see what happens.

24. HKmk23

Now is the winter of madness...

Never watched Game of Twats and never will (I have a life)...

25. akeane
    Trollface

More victim blaming...

HBO have gone to a lot of time and expense to trademark their highly inventive "Winter is coming" phrase, a phrase which was unknown to the English speaking world before they released their recent historical documentary featuring said phrase.

How people can defend this little girl (who can reasonably be compared to Hitler) is beyond me...

26. iRadiate

Game of shite. Winter is coming.

27. Adam_OSFP

Hypocritical load of horseshit...

Don't kid yourselves, you know damn well what I mean, because most of you SERVE the system of corporate greed already or intend/wish to do so in near future.

Oh, well, whatever helps you sleep at night...

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are they going to do a take-down for the news reader with the name "Jon Snow"? Like the lawyers tried to do with the country formerly known as Java.

Maybe the news reader could issue a defamation claim against HBO - for using the name as absolutely defining someone as a legal bastard.***

*** I've read the first book at the insistence of a young friend. I stalled at page 600 - even before realising the imminent end was merely a pause in a large series of books.

29. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

13 years old?

fantastic picture

1. Nigel222

The girl is autistic. Gifted and handicapped in the same package. (Lots of sympathy. Most of us programmers share the same traits in a more diluted form).

Can't HBO be attacked under some sort of disability discrimination law for throwing a clear abuse of the DMCA at a disabled minor? In fact I suspect that might be possible even without any input from this young artist.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

game of who

There are only 10 episodes each season and so many deaths, penises and boobs I can't even get my head around who is supposed to be in the next one.... seems like winter has been coming for a long time (yes, you can read that as a double entendre because most of the characters seem to come way quicker than winter - 7 seasons, no winter yet... anyone want to buy this summer wear?).

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Start of Winter

If you had bothered to implement RFC1149 they would have told you about the start of winter. Season 6, Episode 10, about half way through:

Sansa Stark: "A raven came from the citadel. A white raven. Winter is here."

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HBO ought to adapt Simon Raven's series of novels "Alms for Oblivion" and "First Born of Egypt" - a similar mix of politics, sex, and the supernatural in the 20th century.

It was said that his friends were wary of any admitted peccadillo appearing in his next novel. His autobiography "Shadows on the Grass" was called by one critic "the filthiest cricket book ever written". The author responded by asking if he could include the quote on the book's cover.

32. Olius

I was wondering...

...what all the ex-SCO bunch were doing these days.

It appears they're pretending to run a US cable network.

33. M7S

So if the young lady in question was doing this as a "fan review"*

and IIRC you are allowed to quote short passages for review purposes, then perhaps someone on her behalf could counter-sue HBO for suppression of free speech?

*And I am sure there would be a legion of people prepared to affirm that they think this is a helpful review, ahem

34. Potemkine Silver badge

It's getting cold there

Winter is coming

35. cd / && rm -rf *
    Pirate

Fuck you, HBO.

Makes me glad I torrented every single ep of GoT.

By the way... Winter is coming.

36. Gruezi

Cold Outside

On my walk to work this morning, there were several ice patches on the ground. It really looks like winter is coming. DO YOU HEAR THAT HBO? I SAID: WINTER. IS. COMING.

37. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

anybody willing to bet on top bps*?

*backpedals per second

38. Dominic Thomas

"Use it or lose it"

It should be noted that the "Use it or lose it" page linked at the bottom of the article is hosted by a firm of IP lawyers, who might well have a rather biased viewpoint given that cases like this are their bread and butter... The EFF has a very different opinion on the issue:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/11/trademark-law-does-not-require-companies-tirelessly-censor-internet

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Use it or lose it"

Good point, and might be worth the author adding a footnote to the article. It's a common myth that I believed myself up until fairly recently.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We are not quite as stupid

At one time I used to do trademark registration. I had one marketing guy who wanted to trademark a phrase consisting of words in common use in the UK, I argued he couldn't, so eventually I just slapped it in and put the rejection notice on his desk.

I now realise I should have trademarked it in the US, where it would obviously have gone through. Words simply fail me on this, I simply cannot find adequate ones to describe the incompetence (or venality, your choice) of the USPTO.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon