back to article 90 per cent of the UK's NHS is STILL relying on Windows XP

The NHS is still running Windows XP en masse, two and a half years after Microsoft stopped delivering bug fixes and security updates. Nearly all of England NHS trusts – 90 per cent – continue to rely on PCs installed with Microsoft’s 15-year-old desktop operating system. Just over half are still unsure as to when they will …

Page:

1. Charles 9

"Then you need to make your filtering proxy good enough to permit those connections that are desired whilst forbidding those that aren't. "

And if they're one and the same? IOW, a pwning attack can look too close to a legitimate request to raise your false positive rate too high and get complaints?

"Then you are too clueless to run a business."

Who says I'm running it? When you're told to DIE (Do It or Else), and there's no other ship to jump to, you come to realize a foundering ship is preferable to the sharks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"XP is not 'wide open to hackers'. That's typical media beat-up hysteria."

Urm... maybe you'd like to take that comment back now?

1. david 12 Silver badge

>Microsoft’s 15-year-old desktop operating system.

It's not, of course, a 15 year old os. Window 5 is is a /16/ year old operating system. Or Windows NT is a /23/ year old operating system. Or WinXP SP2 is as /12/ year old operating system. Any one of which makes more sense that picking the release date of a 15 year old /trademark/

2. Revelationman

It really summarizes IT in general in the UK, do on the cheap, hold back as much as you can , blame IT for things screwing up , meanwhile the bean counters, and managers, are laughing at you,

That is why many leave in the industry because of inept Managers, lack of proper spending, I will say IT in the UK is dreadful, just the very thought of companies still running XP is shocking, but there is many more places that continue to run a system that has pasted it's best before date.

IT upgrades should be done every 3 years,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"but there is many more places that continue to run a system that has pasted it's best before date."

Odds are, it also absolutely CANNOT be replaced. At all. What then?

2. Rogue Jedi

IT upgrades should be done every 3 years,

a few years back I was working in a school, and there were IT upgrades every 3 years, the "most important" computer rooms had there PCs replaced every 3 years, those 3 year old PCs were then put in the lower priority rooms, and 3 years later in the lowest priority rooms, at about 9 years old they were (usually) retired.

Unfortunately the lowest priority rooms tended to be the ones which ran things like Computer Aided Design packages, which did not like the 6-9 year old hardware, while the highest priority areas were the rooms used for ICT lessons (head of ICT was also the network manager, so set the priorities) now ICT mostly being the MS Office suite did not really need the most powerful PCs but the current years versions of AutoCAD and Solid Works were more resource intensive but of course CDT did not have the budget to purchase new PCs every few years.

Most of the computers were updated to Windows 7 in 2012 but when I left in early 2015 we still had about 40 PCs (out of about 750) running Windows xp because there was no Windows 7 compatible network driver available for them

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: IT upgrades should be done every 3 years,

I wonder what we will look back on in 15 years:

a. "Rolling" Win 10 will have eliminated some delayed upgrades, but many "solutions" that communicate directly with hardware and have other strange software choices will not be able to upgrade. Becasue of the effects on the security they will still need to be firewalled and preferably airgapped.

b. Some devices will have gone IoT with updateable/patchable OS and meeting security standards to communicate with databases and allowing the writing of log-data to the cloud. But the percentage will be lower than one might hope.

Then again, maybe all medical staff will be uiquely identified by NFC based stuff and wil get access on many devices to integrated backends full of useful information while the medical equipment writes to the cloud for logging, billing and accurate filing.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They could test a few machines from various departments with Linux, if it can save money, then why not, in fact, you can run Linux on lower spec machines, this will save money on hardware upgrades, especially with the NHS with all their money struggles,this should be option they should test,

1. Charles 9

Unless, of course, the software meant to run on them has no Linux equivalent which is usually the problem. Many computers get stuck on XP because either the required software or the hardware have no support beyond XP, creating a stranding situation.

4. RW

A better analysis

The correct summary of this event: NHS tells Microsoft to stop changing API's and UI's when it's not necessary.

Microsoft, of course, keeps changing what doesn't need changing because they make money from software churn. That this imposes the high cost of employees endlessly having to crawl up new learning curves is something Redmond simply neglects to mention.

There is also the cost of re-writing custom software.

Part of the theory of biological evolution says that most viable mutations are small because most organisms are already so well adapted to their environments that very little improvement is possible. Any large change will probably (n.b.) be for the worse. The same is true of mature, tried-and-tested software. Like WinXP.

Bill Gates needs to stop hoarding cash and accept that the personal computer market is now mature, so profit levels will not be what they used to be.

5. Mike Friedman

There's absolutely no excuse for this.

I can't believe that 90% of NHS Trusts have some app they cannot move off of Windows XP. This is sheer laziness on the part of IT staff. Yes, doing a huge migration project is a pain in the as, but now you're really in the fire. I'll bet you their backups suck as well.

1. fredj

Re: There's absolutely no excuse for this.

Anything done in a health care situation may have to be FDA approved even outside the USA if the application has a wide usage. Now add that cost to your computer budget.

Very few IT staff can write end user code and you can bet it is not part of their job description.

6. fredj

With working life of experience of computers from when a gui was two red leds and a teletype..........

Most people work at a pay grade as high up as they can get by leveraging their whole brain to support a job and acquire enough skill to keep the job and have a life as well. That is fact. They do not include becoming a Microsoft jockey in their life statement.

I worked with scientific instruments in laboratories so I have forced myself to know about computers as control devices and later on as data storage and information handling enablement. At the same time I have done my utmost to avoid becoming a microsoft jockey. Doing that is a total waste of my real skills as a scientist. In fact, if I have worried about computers, it is to make them work and I can write software for that purpose. Microsoft has been a drag on everything I have ever done but. It was like a deal with the Devil to get my pay checks. They have been a major cost centre in every project I have ever worked on.

Imagine a doctor/nurse/policeman/armed services soldier and so on. What possible interest have they got in Microsoft when they can do what they need to do with a pen and paper? Their bosses may well be very interested in big data collection and analysis but again none of them want to become microsoft jockeys either. They are not being paid for that.

As for linux! It is only in the last five years that I would ever have considered using it seriously in a general work place environment.

Interestingly mobile phones may be the salvation of networked computing. Users can just use them with a web interface. The phone and the server support can then be managed by microsoft or linux jockeys and the mobile phones can be junked every three years or be fully software updated remotely. Non jockeys will be free of the microsoft curse for the first time in half a century. Their relief will be much the same as having WCs installed in their houses.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like