back to article Today the web was broken by countless hacked devices – your 60-second summary

Today a vast army of hijacked internet-connected devices – from security cameras and video recorders to home routers – turned on their owners and broke a big chunk of the web. Compromised machines, following orders from as-yet unknown masterminds, threw massive amounts of junk traffic at servers operated by US-based Dyn, which …

Page:

1. Uffish

Re: persuading

Easy - get a large slice of the market to outlaw the sale and use of insecure products and enforce the ban. Shortly afterwards there will be secure Golden Chrysanthemum gadgets on sale - at the appropriate price.

Legislation that is enforced is the key - it's not Happy Panda's problem, it's ours.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How do you enforce laws when sovereignty gets in the way? Especially hostile sovereignty that can simply ship things around customs?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"it's not Happy Panda's problem, it's ours."

It's theirs if they can't sell their stuff. Contains full of instant land-fill being turned away at the docks? The message will get through PDQ.

1. Charles 9

Or they could retaliate with sanctions or suits at the trade court.

1. Adrian Midgley 1

Running your own DNS and using hosts files

down to a local level seems more useful today than last week does it not?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Running your own DNS and using hosts files

Not really. You need a way to refresh the entries, which is why DNS is hierarchical. But I suspect the attackers will find a way to bring the entire Internet to its knees. Even if they have to attack 20 places at once, with a million devices to each one, they could still do it. What next? Carpet-IP-bombing by setting every pwned devices to flood the Internet with random honest-looking HTTP requests that can't be distinguished from real ones?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For the good of mankind please take down Facebook, Twitter was a good start.

1. Adam 1

Give Musk some credit to that end.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remove SPOF

It's always annoyed me that most DNS providers do not allow zone transfers thus it is not possible to say sign up with a number of dns providers, have your master server with one (or indeed on your own server) and then configure each suppliers servers as slaves which only accept/request updates from the master.

If this was allowed it would seem you could limit the effect of dns issues as hopefully at least some of your providers would be online.

Having a single supplier for dns has always struck me as flawed regardless of the claims from those suppliers of how fantastic their infrastructure is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Remove SPOF

I consider "Zone Transfers" as a relic, frankly. What's wrong with pushing updates using a REST interface to each server that needs to publish the zone?

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

We're in the midst of a huge great DDoS attack, and you're seriously suggesting opening up DNS servers to port 80/443?

2. Nate Amsden

Like the one dyn has?

Good luck getting that standardized across dns implimentations and providers.

Zone transfers and dns notify seems to have worked very well for me for the past 20 years I have no reason to use another method.

4. Hans 1
    Mushroom

>Unlike your PC or your phone, IoT devices don’t have the memory and processing to be secured properly, so they are easily compromised by adversaries and it’s very difficult to detect when that happens.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no! Oh Mamma-mia, Mamma-mia, Mamma-mia let him go! That is the BS at its worst. Shut up, do some other job, you, sir, are not fit for working in IT. Christ!

As if processing power is required to block telnet or do away with hard-coded passwords.

All IoT devices MUST have open source software, must be update-able over the network, and perform the update from secure servers, look for updates on a weekly basis. All above and future problems solved. Don't adhere to this, don't get a license from FCC, EU etc

1. Charles 9

"All IoT devices MUST have open source software, must be update-able over the network, and perform the update from secure servers, look for updates on a weekly basis. All above and future problems solved. Don't adhere to this, don't get a license from FCC, EU etc"

The devices come from China and are imported direct. Who gives a damn? As for the update mechanism, they'll just hijack it and pwn it THAT way.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Do androids dream of botnet-zombified electric sheep?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The devices come from China and are imported direct. Who gives a damn?"

Market traders if they're importing them when Trading Standards come calling.

ISPs when they're exposed to fines for routing non-compliant stuff. As I said in another post, there are multiple points to apply pressure to make stuff unsaleable.

1. Charles 9

And ways around them, too, like false flagging and knocking off.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

"....big names including GitHub, Twitter, Reddit, Netflix, AirBnb ...."

Was anything affected that I might actually give a flying fuck about it disappearing for a while?

1. Mage Silver badge
      Coat

Re: "....big names including GitHub, Twitter, Reddit, Netflix, AirBnb ...."

No, but could be next time. They might come for El Reg.

"First they came for ..."

1. Adam 1

> They might come for El Reg

Distributed Denial of DevOps?

2. Nate Amsden

For me it took out our company's website. Even the euro hosted version. The dyn servers in europe were hit hard too as my monitoring for europe website originates at only european locations.

Add to that our external notification system pager duty was hit hard too and unable to function. Was getting a lot of calls from them (automated) with no content others said they just heard the message "applocation error"

West coast US dyn was hit as i wqs quering west coast servers for pager duty dns but got no response.

Users couldn't login to datacenter vpn because well dns was out. I happened to be physically on site (one of two trips per year). Our chat app is slack and maybe coincidence but could not login to slack on my computer from our data center for 30mins it just hung with no error message.

Management is considering adding a 2nd dns provider I told them obviously if we do that than a 2nd CDN provider is needed and would be a good idea to have a 2nd external monitoring provider as well. All comes down to costs.

Dyn's track record is practically flawless over the past 15 years(I've been an enterprise dyn customer for 7 of those). They know what they are doing. Myself anyway has to cut them some slack. They do have a 15 second SLA though ddos may be an exception to it.

It's also obvious they will be doing tweaks to their strategy to help combat this better in the future, and obvious not to expect this can't happen again. Other than IoT botnets it's impressive to me dyn has lasted thisnlong without serious outages. Amazon became a dyn customer roughly 6 years ago after a massive ddos on ultra dns. (They still use both today though there are more dyn servers in their whois record than ultradns when I looked yesterday )

Fortunately at the end of the day the attack was little more than an annoyance for me personally. I am more facinated by the scale of this attack than anything else.

All in all dyn responded quite well. I have been involved in outages that have stretched more than 30 hours (and being awake on it the whole time). So I have battle scars and a few hrs of disruption doesn't make me blink anymore.

My org was involved in collateral damage from another round of ddos that targeted internap earlier in the year. That took probably 2 weeks before it was completely dealt with? That too was by far the biggest ddos impact i had seen from internap (who has a 100%uptime sla though ddos not covered) in being a customer for 10 years.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why??

'A spokesperson for US Homeland Security said the agency is "investigating all potential causes" of the mega-outage'.

Why are they going to all that trouble? Obviously, Putin did it.

1. Kiwi
      FAIL

Re: Why??

Why are they going to all that trouble? Obviously, Putin did it.

Nah, was Shillary.. Just ask Chump, she has the nation's DNS running on her private illegal servers which she's bribed the FBI et al to ignore...

Icon - the US for letting them (especially the hair-freak) stay around so long.

7. Kaltern

Skynet is coming.

I'm genuinely worried about this, as this really was a easy, small and well coordinated attack on one company. Clearly there is no redundancy for Dyn, and companies reliant on it's services obviously didn't take any threat seriously enough to make arrangements.

What would happen if the same group, did this again, but instead on attacking one company, they attacked a larger number, with an even bigger botnet. What would happen if they rotated the servers being attacked, and the botnet attacking them on a regular basis? How the hell would that be stopped, short of cutting ann DNS servers - even if that was a viable last-ditch defense?

I can see this attack being nothing more than a test run. The 'big' attack is coming.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Clearly there is no redundancy for Dyn"

Or Dyn has redundancy but the botnet was able to swamp the redundancy just as easily. Which would be even scarier as you're talking tsunami-type Internet flooding capable of swamping a provider who lives on mitigating swamping attacks. Like building for a once-in-a-century wave only to encounter a once-in-a-millennium wave.

8. Sadie
    Paris Hilton

Education

So what steps can a typical home user take to secure their network. Say for example BT HomeHub or other ISP router with say Wifi/Cloud Printer, ISP provided TV Box, Internet Radio, Games Consoles, Phones,Tablets, Kindles etc. All branded, No devices from the Biou-Qing Mat-Toilet Company of Luquio Taizhou ;).

1. IT Poser

Re: Education

That is the question that brings me back to ElReg. Unfortunately it appears there is no easy answer. Simply doing smart things like using script blockers and avoiding windows like the plague it won't fix IoT problems. It appears that, just like thermonuclear war, the only option is to not play the game. At least you know your vintage toaster isn't out to get you.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Fair question. Here's one answer. I'm sure knowledgeable people will chip in if I say something wrong ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cunningham%27s_Law ) .

Make sure your router has its firewall enabled.

Make sure that firewall is not allowing any incoming traffic.

Make sure your router is not supporting UPnP.

I would like to think that these are the default settings for any socially responsible router, but I fear that UPnP is probably enabled by default to enable attacks like we've just seen. (Oh, and also to enable world+wife to watch your webcam to see if you habitually pad about naken at home.)

Your router definitely should have these features. If you can't find the controls for them, get a new router. If you can't get a new router, get a new ISP. If you can't get a new ISP, move house.

1. Charles 9

"Your router definitely should have these features. If you can't find the controls for them, get a new router. If you can't get a new router, get a new ISP. If you can't get a new ISP, move house."

And if you can't move house?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

If you can't move house, set up a kickstarter or similar for an standalone firewall box that meets all the above requirements and which plugs into your ISP's LAN port. Then, once you've sold a few million to grateful end-users who have been frustrated by the quality of routers mandated by bottom-feeding ISPs, cash in the company and move house.

1. Charles 9

"Then, once you've sold a few million to grateful end-users who have been frustrated by the quality of routers mandated by bottom-feeding ISPs, cash in the company and move house."

And WHEN (not IF) your Kickstarter fails because all you're hearing are "squeaky wheels" and the average Internet-goer really doesn't give a soaring screw about what their stuff does, they just wanna go online, thank you, and many of them don't own or drive cars so won't get the driver's license analogy, either?

1. Stoneshop
              Holmes

And WHEN (not IF) your Kickstarter fails

Then you build just one.

1. Charles 9

You're talking people who wouldn't know how to program a VTR back in the day. Five words: Good Luck...You'll Need It.

2. Stoneshop
          Mushroom

And if you can't move house?

"There is no problem that can't be solved by the judicious use of high explosives"

9. Camilla Smythe

London Not Calling.

I see the area around London is turning speckled red on the Level Three Outage Map.

10. Andy Non Silver badge
    Mushroom

Maybe a sledgehammer approach is needed?

If manufacturers are going to continue turning out IoT devices with little or no security to prevent them being used in these attacks, then ultimately they could be deemed a thread to the national security of many countries and should be treated as hostile. In which case nation state cyber warfare units may be justified in attacking and bricking all such vulnerable devices. Granted it would piss-off owners of such devices, but it may be the only way to get manufacturers to harden their security and prevent these devices from being conscripted. Ultimately, with enough insecure IoT devices they could be leveraged to bring down the entire Internet with devastating economic consequences.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe a sledgehammer approach is needed?

"If manufacturers are going to continue turning out IoT devices with little or no security to prevent them being used in these attacks, then ultimately they could be deemed a thread to the national security of many countries and should be treated as hostile."

Problem is China can fight back, and China has nukes...

2. IT Poser

I know it isn't a real world solution but I'd love to see every infected device bricked. Since these device are already easy to access it should be fairly trivial to pop in and check for Mirai. Fry the device and let the owner try to get compensation from the manufacturer for selling a defective product.

Obviously this isn't a long term solution as the Black Hats would quickly work out the attack vector. At least millions of compromised devices would be permanently removed as a threat.

1. Charles 9

There's also the matter of the manufacturer disappearing in the night, making it impossible to seek compensation.

1. IT Poser

Re: There's also the matter of the manufacturer disappearing in the night

Buyer beware. If security experts hadn't been warning of this problem for years I could be convinced to care. As long as consumers don't face consequences from their bad purchase decisions they will continue to shop on price alone.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: There's also the matter of the manufacturer disappearing in the night

Your average consumer has no clue about things IT related. Nor will they ever and it's unrealistic to expect them to.

11. Captain Badmouth
    Paris Hilton

Chinese crap

We're not even regulating the amount of crap that comes in now. What hope when govt. is cutting back on personnel in all these regulatory depts. and has done so for years. Gordon Brown started a big cutback in customs and excise, merging it with tax etc. We all know what a success that has been.

I've lately had problems getting a govt. dept. to admit responsibility for overseeing imports of led shop signs wrt electrical safety. I even had to show them the relevant part of govt. legislation ffs!

Good luck everybody.

Paris : knows how to regulate her imports.

1. DainB Bronze badge
      Joke

Re: Chinese crap

You'll need a lot of customs personnel to inspect all TCP packets crossing border of your country.

1. Captain Badmouth
        Happy

Re: Chinese crap

When I were a lad TCP was something you put on cuts.

Edit: It still is.

12. Captain Badmouth
    Pint

Late news

Just on BBC news channel, the perpetrators have said that the outage was just a "test" and have threatened to "attack Russia if they messed with the US".

I'll have a large popcorn with my pint, please.

1. Captain Badmouth

Re: Late news

New world hacking is the responsible agency, apparently

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Late news

threatened to "attack Russia if they messed with the US"

Excellent. A cleaner is probably on the way to Sheremetyevo International Airport.

The miscreants' body will turn up swminning in some brownsite pond.

End of story.

13. gregthecanuck

ISP - do they have the tools...

Does any ISP have the capability to detect when their users are hosting a "floodbot"? To me this would be a good first step. If Joe/Jane homeowner gets hacked they get blocked until their offending device is taken down.

Surely there must be tools for this?

1. Charles 9

Re: ISP - do they have the tools...

Not really. Each individual contribution is not that big, so it's a form of "smurfing." It's only when taken as a whole that they're formidable. Like army ants and killer bees.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no internet

"And then make it illegal to run a vulnerable device if it's connected to the net."

internet down, rings supplier, Hi, I've no internet connection can you see what the issues, Yes sir, you have a xyz webcam which has been deemed insecure and whilst it is connected we are required to disable your internet, But I don't own an xyz webcam, or indeed any webcam, gadget etc, just have my router which you supplied and my pc, I'm sorry sir our records show we have detected an xyz webcam on your connection and we are required to disable your internet until you remove it and send it to use for destruction, but I don't.....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like