back to article Raspberry Pi 3 to sport Wi-Fi, Bluetooth LE – first photos emerge

A Raspberry Pi 3 with onboard Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) support has emerged today. The Model B Raspberry Pi 3 will be the first in the family of tiny cheap-and-cheerful ARM-powered computers to feature builtin wireless networking. For previous models, owners have had to make do with wired Ethernet, USB Wi- …

Page:

1. Wisteela
    Thumb Up

Anniversary

Given the first Raspberry Pis were available for sale fours years ago on Monday...

2. jason 7

Will be good...

...when it finally gets some good software/decent complete distro for it.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Will be good...

You mean a distribution that you personally like? You can roll your own.

The current main one suits its task perfectly well, being very stable and covering the educational mission.

3. Caff

64bit

when it goes 64bit in v4 or 5 itll be quite competitive with most sff pc's

4. penguin42

CPC listing it

CPC's March 'computer world' edition landed today (not on their website yet) but it lists the Pi3B as '1.2GHz 64 bit quadcore ARM 7' (which seems inconsistent).

The detail says quad core 1.2GHz Broadcom BCM2837 CPU, 1GB RAM, BCM 43143 wifi&bluetooth le, 4xUSB2.....

All yours for £26.38+VAT; order code SC1401241

1. Conundrum1885

Re: CPC listing it

Might indeed be 1.2 GHz, the feature size is smaller and as such it will be lots faster.

If they are consistent the chip's max speed will be a bit faster but they clock it down to increase reliability under adverse conditions.

I also found that at least with my two Zeros they are learning to use better capacitors.

The early Pi's had issues with the electrolytics so they have been replaced with ceramics

that are the same capacity but lower ESR so they smooth out spikes better.

Still advisable to use a good well made power supply as the cheaper units are known to go flaky

at near their rated current or in some cases as low as 200mA (cough phone chargers /cough)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Changes from Pi 2

Comparing the JPGs in the article to a Pi 2 in front of me, I notice a few interesting things that might help predict the spec/features.

The ACT / PWR LEDs have moved from near top left to near bottom left. Instead at top left there is a slim white header/connector/?

There is an extra unpopulated 2 pin jumper just below the right hand side of the GPIO connector. Probably a RUN header, as fitted to the Pi Zero, but you never know.

On the underside there is a very curious white connector/header with 8(?) tracks going to it. It's below the HDMI connector when looking sideways on. So could that be some kind of SATA or other serial interface?

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: Changes from Pi 2

On the underside there is a very curious white connector/header with 8(?) tracks going to it. It's below the HDMI connector when looking sideways on. So could that be some kind of SATA or other serial interface?

It seems the Wi-Fi connects to the SoC using an SDIO bus, which I would guess is why it's still four USB 2.0 ports + 10/100 LAN same as on earlier versions. I would expect the Bluetooth controller also attaches to the same SDIO bus and my guess would be this is a connector for additional, external SDIO devices.

1. Adrian 4

Re: Changes from Pi 2

More likely the debug connector : available on RPi2 and Rpi0 as 'J5' but not populated in production.

6. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

SATA/NAS Pi?

Re: putting SATA, dual ethernet, or the like on the Pi. Doable, and it's not some big problem with power budget; it's cost. SATA's not an expensive port, but when you're selling a device for $30 total it is. There're ARM boards with SATA (Allwinner A20-based boards for instance do have on-board SATA as opposed to a USB to SATA bridge that some devices have), more ethernet ports, and so on, but they just cost an extra $10 or $20.

7. rogerjames99

In stock at CPC/farnell

Pi 3 and accessories are now showing as in stock at CPC/Farnell. There were 1870 of them available for delivery at 08:52 this morning.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For my uses these Pi 3 boards are just not worth having simply because of the unwelcome bundled wifi/bluetooth, which are just extra power wasted and a potential security risk. Pity, as I'd have had a use for the beefier CPU cores otherwise.

As things stand it's no deal and I'm looking at other non-RPi options to do the job instead.

1. Richard Plinston

> For my uses these Pi 3 boards are just not worth having simply because of the unwelcome bundled wifi/bluetooth, which are just extra power wasted and a potential security risk.

You can turn them off. How hard is that?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This maybe be a new Pi but more customer are noticing the in click bullying on Pi forums. People get baited, goaded, posts filled with unicorn comments or recipe posts and posts get deleted while other posters brag about getting posts delete. Is that acceptable in today’s world, a lower cast system? I’m sure fan boys will justify it!

10. Known Hero

£25

Well I would love to know where you are getting that price from !!!

cheapest I can see them for sale is £30.

1. Known Hero

Re: £25

Well if your going to downvote me please at least show me where it can be purchased for £25.

it states in the article £25 but I can't seem to find it, is the article wrong ?

1. x 7

£26.38 + VAT from CPC

£27.86 + VAT from Farnells Element 14

which considering they're both the same company is just a bit daft

RS Components have them at £26.75 + VAT, which actually makes that more expensive than at least one of their distributors, as "The PiHut" has them at £30 including VAT

Delivery charges may make the difference though.............

1. Known Hero

so as stated not quite £25. adding VAT to the cheapest price = £31.66

So not £25 at all really. £30 is the best we can get from a reseller :/

11. fissuria
    Coat

Really?

If I was really wondering about getting my hands on a nasty little device like the Pi3, I would put my money on the new odroid C2:

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145457216438

a few reasons:

2GHz

2GB RAM

HDMI 2.0 with 4K support

Gigabit Ethernet (dedicated Gigabite PHY, not USB)

$40 USD

12. Stoneshop
    Boffin

Why not

The RPi 3.14?

1. x 7

Re: Why not

don'y you mean the RPi 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510 ?

13. Eda

I am very happy to welcome Raspberry Pi 3.Integrade WIFI module is best idea, but not work correctly in metal box..

Preferable is this case : https://youtu.be/q0U-tvky5vw

Most power up is very good step.

1. Conundrum1885

Fixable

Just cut a hole in the shielding over the antenna, simplez.

I usually use a circular hole as this prevents unwanted harmonics, aim for 1.5* the wavelength.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon