back to article Dad who shot 'snooping vid drone' out of the sky is cleared of charges

A father who shot down a drone that was hovering over his family home in Kentucky has been cleared of all charges. Dad-of-two William Merideth thought the quadcopter was spying on his daughters in their yard in Hillview, and blasted the gizmo out of the sky with a shotgun. That earned him the title "Drone Slayer" from pro- …

Page:

1. ggray

Re: What about helicopters.

I've thought that I would want to get some nice telescope mirrors reflectors) that focus the returning light to a point and direct them up in whatever area the helicopters transited. I don't think it would do any real damage but the sun reflecting on a mirror could certainly make you look away...I'm sure it

could be assembled and declared a work of art...or several...maybe throw in some wind chimes, couple Tibetan prayer flags....just exercising my religious freedoms...maybe windmills with reflective blades...

science projects with weather balloons....(with tops of Mylar foil...)

1. readman

Resolution is what its about

Satellites see his yard every day and photograph it. Airliners probably pass over several times each day. News helicopters might overfly once in a while. It is the "Personal Space" that is violated that makes it unsavory and disliked.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

David Boggs - A name that will live in infamy.

To think that this guy was hovering his drone over two little girls and has the guts to go public about it.

In the US, of all places.

How is it his name hasn't already been put on the paedo register ?

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Facepalm

The USA and guns, eh?

When you are in a hole, you should stop digging.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. clocKwize

How fun would it be to shoot a drone out of the sky though? I envy him.

5. lawndart

says:

Mini barrage balloons! Get your mini barrage balloons here!

Comes with 250ft of nylon fishing wire as a tether. Only $15 each!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

While I certainly *don't* support the chap firing off a gun in a residential area, I completely support his right to have taken down the drone.

It was an egregious extension of the opt-in nature regarding privacy now - everyone is starting to think it's OK just to put a phone in your face, film you, photograph you or whatever. Very often it's for no other reason than the fact that they can.

Well, OK - I partially accept that's the way the world is going, that's how our culture is shifting, and how people are relating to each other differently.

But it's not happening in my house. On my turf, you can bugger right off and I would regard this as the same as getting into my personal space 'bubble' in a physical sense.

Technology is outpacing not only the law but people's sense of moderacy. We can update and control the former, but I'm not sure we can do anything about the latter.

1. Silverburn

Key word here was "on" your turf. That's trespass. "over" your turf is not trespass, as it's technically FAA controlled airspace.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

See my comment earlier. Essentially, "on" for lay people, may as well cover about 10~15m above and below the ground surface of their property.

7. sisk

The criminal mischief charge never had a chance. The drone was hovering on his property. That's trespass and under those circumstances the precedent is well established that he had the right to destroy it. The endangerment charge makes a bit more sense. Depending upon exactly which jurisdiction this happened in I could see that one being more problematic to him. If he were in a jurisdiction where level heads prevail they'd realize that a shotgun fired into the air doesn't actually endanger anyone. Shot doesn't fall fast enough to be a problem and it sheds it's angular velocity very quickly.

8. Lyndon Hills 1

Counter measures

eagle downs drone

Are you allowed to own eagles in the UK? might make up for the lack of firearms.

9. Silverburn

Some clarifications

1) The airspace above his property is not his. It "belongs" to the FAA, and as such, does not count at trespass. If it did, BA would be invading my property about 300 times a day. The judge was technically in error to claim trespass.

2) Pilot has telemetry and witnesses showing he was not 10ft from the daughter. Nearer 200ft. At what height does privacy become a reasonable expectation? Why was the telemetry not considered in the case?

3) Shotguns at 200ft...It's a phantom, and farting on it the wrong way will inflict a fatal wound. A single pellet would have been enough if it jammed a motor or broke a prop.

4) Spying with a wide angle lens? Now that's funny...

5) Taking off and landing from your property means you can plausibly cross over neighbours property. See also: Heathrow. Can I shoot down anything now?

The fun begins if this phantom has been registered. It then officially becomes an aircraft for the FAA and NTSB. And guess what? shooting down "aircraft" is a federal offence and would have warranted a closed scene investigation by the NTSB (pretty comical). Try shooting down a news helicopter (complete with it's stabilised, massive zoom red epic camera) as it flies overhead and see if the judge thinks your privacy was still worth it.

1. Public Citizen

Re: Some clarifications

You need to actually read the FAA regs as well as the Real Estate Law applicable to the situation.

The FAA only has control of airspace above a stated altitude, that stated altitude varying with the proximity to airports, and FAA ground installations. The only control the FAA has that goes all the way to the ground is over structures that impinge on FAA regulated airspace, which is the reason for red blinking clearance lights on certain structures and the distinctive orange and white checkerboard paint scheme on structures such as water towers.

There is a presumption of low level air rights in Real Estate Law. If it were not for this then you would start seeing the red clearance lights being required on very tall trees. Except in limited circumstances involving "hot pursuit" police helicopters, some of the lowest flying aircraft are required to maintain a minimum of 500 feet above ground level at all times. Even air ambulances are closely regulated on how they are permitted to go below the 500 foot limit when making a landing for a pickup.

2. Doctor Evil

Re: Some clarifications

Someone above wrote -- and I'll repeat it here for your edification, Mr. David Boggs:

"When you are an a-hole, you should stop digging."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

… and the unmanned aircraft apologists

drone on and on and on.

11. rtb61

Best answer. Should you fly your drone over some one else's property without permission, you should be fined, based upon a complaint from the property owner. Should you discharge a fire arm in any residential area when you life is not threatened, you share be shared and enjoy a short compulsory holiday.

The drone operator can sue for damages and the home owner can sue for invasion of privacy, both valid.

1. rhydian

And how exactly do you identify the owner of a drone? It's not like they carry number plates is it?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

You shoot at it then wait for the owner to come to you.

1. rhydian

That would be the way I'd do it.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

coming soon....

A "drone shooting sport launching soon where you get points for shooting down drones

shooting down an amazon drone will get you the most points shooting down a "bog standardl" drone the least points

13. Kiwi

Would be interested in more detail..

Maybe I should read some other articles on this..

I've flown some model aircraft in proper areas designated for their flight. At distance I found it fairly hard to be exactly sure of where the craft was in reference to me - I would not have been able to tell if it had crossed the fence line. Most RC planes and gliders are larger than the drones I've seen, so drones could be harder to determine their actual position when you're a bit of a distance away from it.

Any telemetry and video data from the drone could've been telling.. Was the drone owner intending to film his own house for whatever reason, then whip over to a mate's place a few doors away (much easier and more fun to fly than land, pick the thing up, walk there, take off...)? Had wind shifts caused him to be a bit further from where he was? Was he actually fighting a headwind and not actually meaning to over over the shooter's home but trying to fly into a headwind? Maybe he was so focused on the great shots he was getting of his own yard that he did not realise where he was.

If he was trying to snoop, he should expect at best to lose his drone. If not, he maybe should've checked with neighbours and let them know what's what.

Mostly the drone operator is at fault, but maybe the shooter reacted a bit too hotly? The video would tell...

(BTW, first "drone" I ever saw was a NZ kids TV series back in the early 80's... One kid attached a RF transmitter to an old (new in the day) video camera (VHS type) which he then attached to his RC helicopter (back then they could be quite large - I've seen some with somewhere near a 2m rotor diameter although the one in the series would've been closed to 1m)

14. Charles Smith

Rail Gun

It sounds like an ideal application for a small rail gun with a tungsten dart. Remove the inconsiderate intrusions to our privacy.

15. Yugguy

The definition of satisfaction

I can't help thinking how immensely satisfying it must have been to shoot one of those wretched things out of the sky.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See ladies and gentlemen…

This is why America needs more 'roos.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/24/kangaroo_boxes_drone_out_of_the_sky/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: See ladies and gentlemen…

Or soccer balls…

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-30/schoolboy-takes-out-drone-with-football/6900706

17. Brentmc

Kiwi Anti Drone Methods

A big difference between the U.S. and New Zealand is the number of guns people have. Therefore. Kiwis have to get a bit more creative and that old 'do it yourself' attitude comes to the fore. This young lad is also ensuring the All Blacks selectors keep tabs on him!

https://youtu.be/4emOInWh2ec

1. Paul Ryan
      Thumb Up

Re: Kiwi Anti Drone Methods

Nice to see the kids at my old school are keeping up with modern issues like privacy.

18. x 7

this guy had the same idea about shooting drones, but had something to hide......

warning content very NSFW https://www.beastforum.com/showtopic-250567.html

The site name should be a warning.....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like