back to article Bloke cuffed for blowing low-flying camera drone to bits with shotgun

A father of two girls didn't take too kindly to a camera-equipped quadrocopter hovering over his house and snooping on his kids – so he blasted it out of the sky. Now he's facing charges of first-degree criminal mischief and wanton endangerment. William Merideth, 47, was relaxing at his home in Hillview, Kentucky, US, on …

Page:

1. phil8192

Firing a shotgun loaded with bird shot or similar size pellets into the air is pretty harmless. The shot pellets are unlikely to cause injury, even falling directly onto a person's uncovered head, and certainly don't have enough kinetic energy remaining to cause property damage.

I'm assuming Mr. Merideth's shotgun was loaded with bird shot, but the article doesn't reveal this detail.

1. itzman

Hard to hit with a shotgun?

With respect, shotguns were designed to hit fast moving highly manoeuvrable objects at moderate range.

And be reasonably safe at so doing - the kinetic energy of the pellets drops away fast over 100m or so.

They are the weapon of choice for anti-drone flak operations.

1. TitterYeNot

Re: Hard to hit with a shotgun?

"With respect, shotguns were designed to hit fast moving highly manoeuvrable objects at moderate range."

Agreed. I don't know what shotgun owners get up to stateside, but in the UK the most popular sport is probably clay-pigeon shooting (skeet shooting if you're left-pondian), and if you're any good at that a moving drone at a reasonably low height wouldn't be a problem as they're much slower.

As far as endangerment of his neighbours goes, I've always got the impression that on a clay-pigeon shoot, no-one's too bothered about who's the other side of the hedge at the end of the field, as if you're firing almost straight up, standard shot will have lost pretty much all of its kinetic energy by the time it hits the ground.

Had he been using a rifle though, there certainly would be a case for a serious endangerment charge. For example, you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of a .303 bullet even at 2 miles or so, and that's with a flat trajectory when fired at a paper target and missing the range butts. I dread to think how far it would go if fired up in the air, and it would certainly "sting a bit" if it hit someone when it came down again.

1. Charles 9

"As far as endangerment of his neighbours goes, I've always got the impression that on a clay-pigeon shoot, no-one's too bothered about who's the other side of the hedge at the end of the field, as if you're firing almost straight up, standard shot will have lost pretty much all of its kinetic energy by the time it hits the ground."

Is it the norm to actually have homes on the opposite side of shooting ranges over there?

1. TitterYeNot

"Is it the norm to actually have homes on the opposite side of shooting ranges over there?"

If you're firing a shotgun up at clay-pigeons in a big field, quite possibly (we don't have the acreage luxury that comes with being a continent unfortunately.)

My only experiences of firing .303 rounds on a range involved having a few hundred square miles of MOD land behind the butts. So no homes, just a few dead tanks etc.

2. Soap Distant

@TitterYeNot

"As far as endangerment of his neighbours goes, I've always got the impression that on a clay-pigeon shoot, no-one's too bothered about who's the other side of the hedge at the end of the field, as if you're firing almost straight up, standard shot will have lost pretty much all of its kinetic energy by the time it hits the ground."

Every clay shoot I've been to in the UK has a safety officer who ensures to the best of their ability that no gun will be discharged within 300yards of of a public highway or other land. The types of ammunition are restricted at clay shoots so that the range is limited. Shot size and charge are limited, admittedly some idiots may fail to observe these restrictions. If this guy used size 8 shot, it's like pinheads and would feel at worst like light rain if it landed on you.

What's astonishing is that it broke the drone at 83m (did someone say?) That's an Olympian shot with size 8 and a seriously fragile drone! I'd be mightily impressed if I could even chip a clay target at that range!

Anyway, what kind of bollock-headed rude twat flies a drone over someone else's property? Really? Not sure they got everything they deserved.

SD

1. Charles 9

From what I've read, it was only 3 meters, not 83, so almost point-blank (which I think is < 1m).

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

And the drone owners?

Were they charged with FAA flying offences? I don't know about the States, but I'm sure they have something in their regulations essentially similar to 'must be higher than 500ft above built-up areas' and I feel sure that 500ft vertical is well out of shotgun range.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: And the drone owners?

It would certainly be worth the shooter's time filing charges against them. Even if he gets fined for shooting it down, a larger fine for them would send the message that their behaviour wasn't acceptable.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And the drone owners?

Posted this above, but the FAA regulations for drones is the same as other model aircraft for personal use:

•Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles

•Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times

•Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations

•Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying

•Don't fly near people or stadiums

•Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs

•Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

http://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

If they had actually been flying the drone above 500ft, then the FAA would want to talk to them, but there are still other points there that they're likely afoul of.

3. codejunky Silver badge

Good on him

And of course good shot. Hopefully the fine will be almost nothing and the warning to drone operators invading peoples privacy will be public. This guy shot the drone for flying low and holding steady as it invaded peoples privacy and entered their property space.

Also while people have suggested knocking the drone out with a pressure washer or other methods it should be noted that a violent confrontation was defused by the open carry Glock. Instead of a violent altercation the cops arrived to a dispute of invaded property and discharging a gun within city limits (but on private property).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good on him

Yup. I suspect if more and more drones are used to invade privacy there will eventually be a rise in people training in clay pigeon shooting.

I suspect that the first person who comes up with a defender drone or another means to reliably down a drone will have quite a winner on their hands, provided they have the usual caveats in the operating manual. I'd buy one, I hate the f*cking idiots who have no respect for someone else's privacy. I want my kids to grow up in peace.

2. rh587

"Hopefully the fine will be almost nothing and the warning to drone operators invading peoples privacy will be public."

The fine for shooting down the drone, maybe.

The sanction for recklessly endangering neighbours I hope is more severe.

Not sure which I would object to more - being snooped on or being (and having my family and property) peppered with shot by neighbours...

3. Jediben

There is no evidence of any possibility of a violent confrontation from the report. The lack of violence can not be attributed to the presence of a hand gun. There is nothing to suggest that either party intended to be violent, bar the declaration that should the home owner's property boundary be breached would lead to the further discharge of a firearm.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@ Jediben

"There is no evidence of any possibility of a violent confrontation from the report. The lack of violence can not be attributed to the presence of a hand gun."

ok

"The lack of violence can not be attributed to the presence of a hand gun."

ah

"There is nothing to suggest that either party intended to be violent"

hmm

"bar the declaration that should the home owner's property boundary be breached would lead to the further discharge of a firearm."

ALARM BELLS!

On this comments section I have read one comparing him to dirty harry and one asking if he shot someone on halloween. Various have commented how stupid it was to shoot it and I think someone even suggested throwing something at it (coz that wont come down will it?). And the safe and effective method used for the violation of his property gains this kind of criticism. So reading a potential violent altercation is not difficult from the following text-

"They asked me, 'Are you the S-O-B that shot my drone?' and I said, 'Yes I am,'" he said. "I had my 40mm Glock* on me and they started toward me and I told them, 'If you cross my sidewalk, there's gonna be another shooting.'"

If some people are gonna assume him a homicidal maniac or just some dick, I am going to give him reasonable doubt based on an average guy protecting his home and not wanting a situation to get out of hand.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"violent confrontation was defused by the open carry Glock"

Maybe. In this case. But what if the drone operators were open-carry nuts all carrying handguns?

@AC

"Maybe. In this case. But what if the drone operators were open-carry nuts all carrying handguns?"

I wonder where you stand on this calling them open-carry nuts. I am guessing you would have no problem if they decided to knock 7 bells out of each other or if the guys controlling the drone figured their numbers and the group mentality escalated the confrontation against the 1 guy? But because nothing happened because he defused the situation with a clear warning against any non-legal trouble you consider him an open carry gun nut. Hmm.

Most people are not suicidal nor homicidal. You appear to be suggesting they are.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

1. It's Kentucky, it wouldn't be too surprising if they did have their guns on them. Especially if they were going to confront a guy that just fired his own gun off.

2. The other AC was presenting a hypothetical, not actually stating that they were gun nuts.

@AC

"The other AC was presenting a hypothetical, not actually stating that they were gun nuts."

I have no problem with a hypothetical except he labels them open carry nuts with pistols. Owning a gun != nuts. Open carry of a gun != nuts. In the UK this is a distinction which seems to require great intelligence on the part of the listener as people have some crazy ideas about gun owners and users of guns. But the AC didnt offer what expectation he would have if they all open carry. It seemed to imply that if they did all open carry then they would all be nuts and that doesnt imply anything good.

4. auburnman

The shooter just needs to spin this right to walk free: This was a home invasion, just so happens to be the first unmanned variant thereof we have heard about. Since a drone has spinning blades he should easily be able to claim self-defence if it was within range to be brought down by a shotgun. How high the drone was will come down to his word vs. theirs unless the camera footage survived. I was expecting something like this to happen way back when animal rights groups in the UK said they'd start using drones to monitor farmers livestock.

I'm no gun fan, but the new wave of drone owners need to learn some acceptable limits and fast.

1. Boothy

He shot it with bird shot, which has quite a limited effective range,

In the US, 500 feet above your property is considered private airspace, if the drone was above 500 feet, it would have been out of range of the bird shot, so the fact it was shot down over his property, means it must have been under 500 feet to be in range, and so therefore was trespassing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"This was a home invasion"

in case you didn't read the article, this was OUTSIDE.

1. auburnman

Outside, but still on his property, harassing his family, lower than rooftop height.

2. Intractable Potsherd

"in case you didn't read the article, this was OUTSIDE." I think in most common law jurisdictions, "Home" begins at the boundary of the property occupied by the owner/occupier. The garden would be classed as "home", with permission (express or implied) required to enter the property. I have always had the impression that the mailboxes on the edge of the boundary in the USA were recognition of this (thought I could be wrong on that).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good for him

If the drone was flying over and taking pictures / videos over private property without permission I would say that is a privacy violation.

if it was low and over his property when he shot it down then the only person who would endanger is himself/his family and certainly so if it was at 10 feet and his fence is 6 feet high it would most likely fall on his property.

Shotguns are close quarters weapons, the pellets lose energy very quickly, fallout from pellets do not hurt, I do a lot of clay shooting and, shooting at overhead targets, I get rained on by my own pellets, rain drops have more impact force than a pellet falling straight down.

Anon, 'coz.

1. Joe Harrison

Re: Good for him

Things fly over my house without my permission all the time, doesn't mean I can shoot them down.

1. Charles 9

Re: Good for him

Birds are generally benign so don't constitute a threat (possible exceptions being a hawk that threatens your pet; if that happens, fending it off and then calling Animal Control would be considered reasonable).

As for airplanes, they're usually in the government-owned airspace above the space you own (private property extends upward to the edge of commercial airspace).

6. Lamb0
    Big Brother

#8 shot

isn't necessarily a huge public hazard; but it's usually pretty noisy. I predict a slap on the homeowner's wrist from criminal court... and ri¢her attorney$ from the ¢ivil law$uit$.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just wait

Until the drones start shooting back!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs

1. Lamb0
      Black Helicopters

Re: Just wait

In that case law enforcement might request the assistance of nearby radio amateurs for a "fox hunt" if the FCC team isn't readily available. Even my Step-Grandfather (WA6SDD) would have been willing to participate.

Receivers are cheap, frequencies are well known, antennas are fairly simple to build, and the drone's range is limited; (though rarely transmitting). It also gives "Neighbourhood Watch" a whole new reason to keep their eyes open!

1. elDog

Fantastic idea! Find out the frequency that is being used to communicate with the drone and jam it.

Drone bye bye.

1. d3vy

Probably not, if they loose signal dont they just retrace their steps to get home?

What you would really want to do would be to send some kind of shutdown signal prompting a slow descent - perhaps onto your property - but then that might be theft...

Alternative - send a signal for it to fly somewhere remote (Assuming available) climb to maximum altitude and then shut down.

Alternative #2 - I like this one. Trigger the return home mechanism but at whatever the maximum speed for these things is...

8. Breen Whitman

Maybe this guy is the same who shot a kid to death...on Halloween night...through his closed door when he heard knocking.

That was deemed justified. And he was a quitted.

9. hammarbtyp

Stand your ground

Them darn airliners kept overflying my properties so I took it out with my Stinger I got in Walmart. Serves them pinko commies right in thinking they can look at my children.

It's my right as defined by the constitution, darn it

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It took 4 not 1 idiots to do this?

Just exactly what were 4 idiots up to flying this cam equipped drone at low altitude around the back yards of a posh suburb? Scouting burglaries, looking to peep? There is more to this story.

It did not say, but hopefully the thing crashed into his yard, and he confiscated it.

Other commenter was dead on, if it had Google painted on the side, he would have been in deep doodoo.

1. d3vy

Re: It took 4 not 1 idiots to do this?

"Just exactly what were 4 idiots up to flying this cam equipped drone at low altitude around the back yards of a posh suburb? Scouting burglaries, looking to peep? There is more to this story."

I draw your attention to the $1800 price tag on the drone, odds are that these were residents of the aforementioned "Posh" suburb playing with a new toy that one of them has bought.

If you think some guys messing about with tech has to have a sinister back story may I suggest that you would do better reading the daily mail.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It took 4 not 1 idiots to do this?

I draw your attention to the $1800 price tag on the drone, odds are that these were residents of the aforementioned "Posh" suburb playing with a new toy that one of them has bought.

If you think some guys messing about with tech has to have a sinister back story may I suggest that you would do better reading the daily mail.

On the flip side, if you use a toy that expensive to invade other people's privacy (which is what happened), maybe you need that thing downed to learn a very important lesson. If 4 idiots cannot come up with that observation between them, then personally I don't mind the resulting practical demonstration of consequences. They've been lucky they did so by proxy, using a drone.

11. kamereon

Reasonable Expectation to Privacy

This comes down to definitions and it is a topic that will have to be addressed. In most US states there are rules that define a reasonable expectation to privacy. If someone goes through pains to get up to your window and watch you undress - that's a Peeping Tom and they can be arrested. If, however, you regularly strip down in your living room with the curtains open...someone can photograph you and it would be legal to do so.

Planes and hot air balloons can fly over your residence without issue, but how about drones? It boils down to intent, but how to legally clarify it so enthusiasts can fly and gun owners don't feel provoked?

12. Kubla Cant
    Black Helicopters

So what's the best way to down a drone?

Here in the UK, the firearm option is unavailable*, so what are the alternatives, and how legal are they?

An earlier commentard suggested a pressure hose, which sounds like fun, though I expect the range is a bit limited, and you would probably get complaints from anybody who was underneath.

Someone else suggested a defence drone that could drop stuff into the intruder's rotors.

What about electronic counter-measures? I assume traffic to and from the drone is encrypted to prevent hijacking, but would it be possible to disrupt it in some way? The attraction of this is that it would be much harder to trace the drone's "accident" back to you.

* Given the amount of willy-waving associated with firearms, I'm not sorry, though I anticipate a shoal of downvotes for saying so.

1. Adrian 4

Re: So what's the best way to down a drone?

Modern radio control stuff is a lot more sophisticated than in days of yore. A drone can generally be set up to return to the launch site if it loses comms with the transmitter. This isn't foolproof but it's unlikely that jamming will cause instant loss of aerodynamic control (even if it can't respond directly to the owner).

1. Adrian 4

A bottle-rocket set up to release party poppers at random height and direction might bring the drone down while staying within the law.

2. Charles 9

For a low-flying Peeping Tom drone like in this incident, how about a decent-sized throwing net, say 2m diameter? Toss it up, bag the drone, pull it back to earth, and report to the police with the evidence, so to say, in hand?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Danger danger

Yep the pellets could have fallen from the sky hurting someone or damaging property, just as the drone could have. Charge both and everyone learns what is acceptable in crowded neighbourhoods.

1. Tempest8008

Re: Danger danger

It was #8 birdshot!

The pellets were tiny and when falling would never get to a speed where they could injure someone or damage property. You'd be in more danger of a bird flying over and crapping in your eye.

As a father with kids I would take great exception to someone flying a drone over my house without my permission.

As a father with kids I would take great exception to someone using a gun to shoot down that drone, were I their neighbour.

I make no pronouncements either way in this case. Both parties were in the wrong as far as I'm concerned (and as you pointed out) and I, for one, will be watching to see how the Courts deal with the issue. As others have noted, this will be an interesting test case.

14. Kruzman

He has a pretty good case for firing his weapon in city limit with justification of trespass. since it was casing his yard, house, etc he can treat it the same as any trespasser.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gits exhibiting loathsome behaviour

Some git in a powered glider flew over the farm a few months ago. I called police and they told me that there was nothing they oould do -- it was an MOT matter. He -- or maybe she, but I don't expect women to exhibit such loathsome behaviour -- never actually flew over the house but the whole episode infruriates me. Do these gits walk around city neighbourhoods with binoculars looking into windows? Privacy laws need to be updated.

1. Steve Todd

Re: Gits exhibiting loathsome behaviour

If they flew within 500ft of your farm, and the farm isn't within the approach path of a scheduled aerodrome (not a private strip), then report it to the CAA, not the MOT (who won't have a clue).

16. FuzzyTheBear

Getting them

Can we get drone owners for voyeurism when they fly over houses ?

Im totally for shooting the lot down.

1. Charles 9

Re: Getting them

Tresspass, certainly. Voyeurism would depend on its actions during the intrusion.

As for shooting down, that's something of a gray area. If one could bag, net, or otherwise capture the drone while it's over your property, one could at least argue confiscation and get off. Shooting it down will take more arguing before the judge since the circumstances can result in collateral damage, which is why most localities don't allow discharging within their limits.

17. Yugguy

Sod the drone owners

I havent much sympathy for them. America is HUGE, drive out somewhere into the country and do it. Thats what I'd do even in the UK.

Would a mobile phone signal jammer work as a none-destructive way of getting rid of a drone?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like