New Forum Wishlist - but read roadmap first

I have closed the original New forum Wishlist - and boiled it down (and added some stuff) to the things we will do, the things we might do, the things we are unlikely to do and the things we won't do. Here is our roadmap. There are no timescales as we have a lot of other stuff on our plate. El Reg forums roadmap - no time …

This topic was created by Drewc .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Don Dumb

A couple of requests:-

I've made the point in a recent comment to an article, but as this is the proper place to make suggestions:-

I think a 'BS' (we all know what that means) icon would be helpful. Many of the less useful comments are simply made up opinion stated as fact. It would be fair to highlight such perceived nonsence with a Bu**Sh*t (if that helps) icon. Nothing else seems to be appropriate.

I also agree that it is time to retire the Paris icon. as - a) it is only surving to boost such celebrity and b) it does seem to be an unfair targetting of someone none of us have likely ever met.

My other suggestion would be to have an identifier to the parent comment within a reply comment, perhaps something like "In reply to <username> <subject title> posted <date-time>" in the comment header. That way we could work out what the reply is responding to when there is nothing to work that out from. Particularly when there are so many levels of comment that one reply doesn't directly follow the original comment.

1. jake Silver badge

Hey, Don Dumb ...

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker and tits are all valid here. This is an adult forum. Get used to the idea ... or maybe you should fuck-off back to nanny-ville ...

The entire Paris meme was retired when her grandfather disinherited her. I have no idea why ElReg continues to try to make the useless bint newsworthy.

We've tried to convince ElReg to do proper threading & reply headers for years. ElReg refuses, for whatever reason. Gut feeling is lack of knowledge of simple text processing ability amongst the staff.

In other news, one wonders why ElReg recently dropped the time/date-stamp on posts. Probably because of the same person(s) ... I'll bet a dollar it was a fuck-up :-)

HTH, HAND.

1. Don Dumb
        Mushroom

Re: Hey, Don Dumb ...

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker and tits are all valid here. This is an adult forum. Get used to the idea ... or maybe you should fuck-off back to nanny-ville ...

Well, you clearly *are* an adult.

I'm quite happy with swearing and I will sometimes in posts. But I don't always feel the need to and being an adult I know when its appropriate and when it isn't. I used the term 'BS' rather than 'Bullshit' as I'm guessing The Reg would probably use the former if they actually did introduce an icon. Notice they don't have a "What The Fuck?" icon.

Only a 5 year old thinks tits and piss are swearwords.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Hey, Don Dumb ...

And you, Don, are clearly to young to know who George Carlin was, and when anglo-saxon expletives make sense in a reply to a post in an adult forum.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge

"My other suggestion would be to have an identifier to the parent comment within a reply comment, perhaps something like "In reply to <username> <subject title> posted <date-time>" in the comment header."

I suggested that on this very same page!

1. Don Dumb
        Facepalm

@Jamie Jones

I suggested that on this very same page!

I do apologise. Consider my post a second for your suggestion.

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge

7 days ago "timestamp"

Since very recently the comments don't display a time stamp anymore but an indication of how long ago it was posted. I much preferred the former timestamp because one could use it to refer to a specific post, e.g. "@AC GMT 01:43..."

Why the change?

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: 7 days ago "timestamp"

Arrrrrgh. Totally agree.

This is a news site. Stories change by the minute. It was bad enough when the time was removed from articles (there can be a big difference between a breaking-news story posted at 9.30am or at 4.30pm) but now we can't tell when comments are posted either?

And as the Evil Auditor points out, without proper threading, this timestamp was even more necessary.

Sorry to sound negative, but I really can't see any advantage in the change, and many disadvantages (even Facebook, when they made similar changes [ 'xxx days ago' ] kept the timestamp for posts less than 48(?) hours old.)

"(even Facebook, when they made similar changes [ 'xxx days ago' ] kept the timestamp for posts less than 48(?) hours old.)"

Ok, i now notice that for recent posts, a more granular timescale is used.

I must have missed that, so apologies...

Still, you aren't getting your ball back and get orrrf my land!

*grump*

Unhappy

Actually, I wasn't wrong after all.

I use El Reg most on my tablet. javascript is disabled because it makes things too slow.

Without javascript, the date/time is shown as date only. Please fix the fallback non-js version to provide the original date/time please!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: 7 days ago "timestamp"

Sorry, just noticed this. I have pinged our web devs for their perusal.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. jake Silver badge

@Drewc "3 hours ago" (was: Re: 7 days ago "timestamp")

"Sorry, just noticed this."

Really? REALLY?!1!? REALLY???!!11???!??

"I have pinged our web devs for their perusal."

I'd fire 'em on the spot. And then personally resign for not noticing it in the first place.

See: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/2101012

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

This change also makes the link to the post, in context of the forum, smaller - and even less obvious than it already was.

To be grumpy, I must say that I think your web designers keep making changes to these forums, that make things less obvious and easy to read at a glance.

In your pursuit of minimalism, readability seems to suffer at every turn. Text size gets smaller, links are removed, along with dividing lines, shading and colour. Have you secretly been taking refugees from Microsoft's Metro team?

This is in marked contrast to the articles\main pages, where you have a few too many elements for clarity. I've no objection to adverts, but because you have so much stuff, mixed in with ads, jump-lists and menus, all the stuff on the side-bars sort of merges into one.

Not to play the disability card (he says as he's doing it), but as someone with about 5-10% of average vision, I value clarity extremely highly. And I call down curses upon all web designers who choose dark brown text on a light brown background!

I admit I'm an edge-case, and discrimination legislation notwithstanding, I believe you should concentrate scarce resources on catering to the majority of your customers. But I struggle to accept that any user would prefer a lack of clarity to the alternative. I'm not saying things are bad, by any means, just that several changes in the last year or so, have been for the worse.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Thumb Up

@He ain't Spartacus, get a braille device, ffs! Just kidding. But I do wonder how such would render El Reg's overloaded articles pages. Oh, maybe you DO use a braille device...

Seriously, I couldn't agree more with you.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

No braille for me. 5x magnification all the way baby.

I think there's some pretty snazzy braille and screen-reader kit out there now. Like smartphones, it's pretty good at re-streaming the main article text, and just giving you that. So many ads are image-based (with no ascii elements), that I'd imagine they just get dropped.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Taking your points re readability on board - but we increased point size of forums text recently - so that it is now same size as articles. Also, I am not aware that we have removed links - but please correct me if I am wrong.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Drew,

As I recall, the comment text has just got bigger - but the handle text smaller? Or maybe it's just the handle not going up with comment text size - and it now looking smaller?

I think one thing I missed was the varying thickness grey bars you used to have on the left of posts, to indicate indentation. Which I thought was nicer than your swirly arrow thing. Although that arrow is a link back to the post it's replying to (which is often helpful).

Also, there used to be nice thick lines between posts. And everything seemed a bit more separated, and less 'flat'. It seems to be the current fashion in UI design that everything should either be white, or pale grey - and there should be as few separators as possible - presumably in order to make minimalis designers feel all gooey inside. Use of colour, lines, shading and shadows does seem to be going out the window. Grey and white seems to be the biggest contrast that modern UI aesthetics will allow. It's a trend I entirely fail to comprehend.

On the subject of links that have gone (or at least I'm sure used to be there), in the non-article forums I'm sure you used to have a nested formum titles link at the top of the page. In something like the format:

You are in: User Forums > El Reg Matters > New Forum Wishlist

Where each was a link, so you could move around within the forums more easily. If I'm mis-remembering, and that wasn't there before (and my memory is playing tricks) - well this is the Forum Wishlist thread...

"As I recall, the comment text has just got bigger - but the handle text smaller? Or maybe it's just the handle not going up with comment text size - and it now looking smaller?"

I agree. Well, to me, the comment text seems the same, but as I'm forvever pinch-zooming in/out on all sites on this tablet, I may well have compensated for any change without remembering.

However, the handle-text is definitely smaller - at least as related to the comment text, and as you mentioned in your previous post, this also makes the 'link to post' less obvious, and more fiddly to use.

I fortunately don't have any sight problems, but then am more likely to have things generally smaller than othes might, so as to fit more on the screen at once, and keep the main text to a comfortable reading size, so ultimately, I think the issue is to do with proportions rather than specific size per se. (After all, people can zoom in/out pages, and have all sorts of different size monitors, and indeed, sit all sorts of distances away from the screen! )

4. Sanctimonious Prick

Up / Down Votes Dolled Out By Me

At the top of the 'My Posts' page is a count of how many up/down votes I've received. I'd like to see a count of how many up/down votes I've dolled out to others.

5. as2003

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but up-voting and down-voting requires a complete reload of the site. This is *so* 1990's. Could you at least add one or two lines of javascript?

If you use the principles of graceful degradation then it doesn't even have to break anything. And it would really benefit the one or two of us who have these cutting edge browsers that support this new-fangled javascript.

Similarly, seeing as I'm being forced to log in every day, perhaps you could make that a less tedious task by throwing a bit of javascript at that?

Also, I don't see why a bunch of ideas have been ruled out because "they could be gamed". Entire websites have been (successfully) built around these ideas that can be "gamed".

I would also like to "+1" the suggestion of getting notifications when any post of mine has been responded to. It's a pain having to log in, open an article, click comments, click my posts, middle click a handful of my posts, ...and scroll.

All great apart from that!

6. Mike Flex

Where's Wally?

Now that el Reg is working on on a New York - Paris - Peckham basis it would be handy to have some indication, e.g. a national flag, of which office was filing a story rather than having to memorise where each Reg correspondent is based or wading through an article trying to find out whether or not it is relevant. For example in this article I need to read down to the third paragraph to discover that this story relates to the other side of the world.

I note the earlier unwillingness to let us commentards display goatse avatars but it would also be handy if we could opt in to display national flags which would help even out cross-cultural surprises.

7. Daggerchild Silver badge
    Angel

Feature request: Per-Author pre-moderation setting.

Is there a way to premoderate me *only* when replying to emotionally negatively-charged Andrew Orlowski articles? :) Can't comment on US journo articles atm without them growing mould first.

Oh, and can we get a Burning Man icon, for willingly standing in the way of a horde of flamers? Owchy, if necessary at times (non-troll variant).

Having moderation rejection reasons might be a balm - unexpected post-facto quiet rejections are paranoia-inducing.

Still not sure why/when I got the eternal mark of Doooooooooooooom, but hey, as long as someone isn't using it for retaliation, I'm cool, if timeshifted :)

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Feature request: Per-Author pre-moderation setting.

Or you could try, you know, obeying the forum rules. They're hardly onerous.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge
        Gimp

Bah, even with the new pills, what's the point of reformation? There is no redemption. No expiry. No appeal. If you get premod-flagged, you burn the toon and re-roll, because *duh*.

Anyone soldiering on is either too dense to notice or some kind of naive hairshirted rule-abiding do-gooder!! *cough*

Maybe they can be flagged for a redemptive review after 6 months of rejectionless activity? That way there's a point in not playing whackamole re-roll with the mods. If you're good, you can still get the little medals! :)

At the mo I'm growing a linked list of rejections, rejected for mentioning my previous rejection was rejected, rooted in a rejection rejected for quoting someone in context, passing pre-moderation, until re-moderation for casting someone in a negative light :) This will be my latest entry. It's all about the Meta! :)

2. jake Silver badge

@ Daggerchild: (was: Re: Feature request: Per-Author [dotdotdot])

Oh, how cute. A teenage prima donna.

Try posting content, not air-headedness. HTH, HAND.

Alien

Re: @ Daggerchild: (was: Feature request: Per-Author [dotdotdot])

Kip-tin! I bee-weave the inimmy wezzoo is twyink to... twoll us...? Should I infom Mister Scott?

Analysis, Spock?

Captain, it appears to be using a primitive form of psycho-analysis. I recommend we study it further. It may be trying to communicate. I should remind you that the Prime Directive.. oh never mind..

3. Daggerchild Silver badge

Hurm. Getting weighted digraph descriptions rejected from routing discussions now. Barely enough text to describe a triangle, never mind break a house rule. Not expected.

Re-iteration of hope for mod-rejection-category or mod-feedback or mod-sanity-check or just a feedback channel that isn't open?

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Feature request: Per-Author pre-moderation setting.

We see posts that trip the moderation filters individually, without the context of the ongoing discussion. Hence something with lots of characters and few words looks like spammy gibberish (which, of course, your post wasn't) and gets canned.

I'm feeling charitable this afternoon so I've unfiltered that particular post.

What do you do when you pass premoderation but your post doesn't appear or get linked from your posting history? It's all gotten headscratchier recently.

8. Mummy's 'ickle soldier

Concerted and Determined Campaign to educate the masses about British Telecom

Anyone who has had experience of this shameful, shambolic and frankly disingenuous company for broadband...need I say more?

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/68221

Just sign the f*****g petition people! let's get this done!

1. Phil W

Re: Concerted and Determined Campaign to educate the masses about British Telecom

I don't see that petition going anywhere, for one thing it's poorly written and doesn't even make sense for instance wtf is "superset broadband"? It seems that you (and whoever started the petition if different) need to be educated about BT as much as the general public

BT has for some time been composed of a number of separate companies, these are not divisions of one company but separate registered businesses (albeit owned by a parent group) that interact with each other at an operational level just like they do with any company not called "BT <something>".

Lodging a complaint about one that is the responsibility of another is daft, like complaining to Volkswagen that your Skoda is crap or complaining to Virgin Trains that your flight on Virgin Atlantic was rubbish.

BT Openreach look after the infrastructure, BT Broadband provide your ADSL/FTTC connection, but they get this done just like any other ISP by requesting it as a BT Openreach customer. In general BT Openreach's only customers are ISPs and other Telcos, and maybe some businesses. If you are a home broadband user, you are not a BT Openreach customer.

BT Openreach won the contracts for the BDUK money, and are actually meeting the obligations of rolling out rural broadband. Somewhat slower than some people would like but they are getting there. The moderately sized rural village where my parents live was recently upgraded to Infinity.

BT Broadband are a business and residential ISP, who provide broadband connections to users. It is them who you can be a customer of. They are not responsible for the installation of copper of fibre cabling, upgrading your exchanges or cabinets.

They have no requirement to provide good customer service as such, apart from certain regulatory requirements, their motivation to provide good customer service is largely to maintain market share and stay in business. The BDUK money has nothing to do with the customer service that BT Broadband provide.

9. BillG
    Holmes

SSL, SSL, SSL

I'd like to see SSL added to the forum. At least for the username and login - DUH!. But I'd also like the option for SSL when posting and viewing comments. This is especially important for those of us that use this website from a place of business, which we all know are monitored more and closely these days. Web habits seems to be of intense interest to employers.

Monitoring software has the ability to flag an employee who is visiting a web page with too many curse words and SSL would protect us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SSL, SSL, SSL

> This is especially important for those of us that use this website from a place of business, [....] Web habits seems to be of intense interest to employers.

Of "intense interest" as in, are our employees pissing the day away on forums and the like? If so, a connection to theregister.co.uk is still a connection to The Register, encrypted or not, and your employer may still ask you for an explanation as to the business purpose of those visits and/or question your idea of "reasonable personal use".

> Monitoring software has the ability to flag an employee who is visiting a web page with too many curse words and SSL would protect us.

"Monitoring software" also has the ability to MITM you with fake certs, a la the recent Lenovo fiasco, something which the vast majority of users would be unable to notice, let alone prevent, with the HTTPS icon doing nothing but providing a FALSE sense of security.

10. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

OMG!

BBC has just stolen el-Reg's website design!

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: BBC has just stolen el-Reg's website design!

Where do we send the consultancy invoice?

C.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: BBC has just stolen el-Reg's website design!

I'd recommend calling your IP lawyer and telling them to sharpen their pencils first...

11. Vimes

Have you tried viewing the BBC news site with javascript disabled? It looks like it's the mobile layout that ends up getting displayed.

JavaScript controlled layout. Seriously.

It's a joke. Perhaps some of us could club together and buy the BBC website designers a book on CSS?

Didn't the BBC use to win design awards for their websites? I wonder when was the last time they won anything?

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

And clicking on any picture at the top of the page currently leads to Angelina Jolie's lost ovaries.

What a bunch of wankers!

1. Vimes

Funny how by trying to make the site more usable they end up making it useless.

Have you noticed that they seem to be changing the font size based on window size too? If the browser window happens to be sized below a certain width then the size jumps up. Nothing to do with the type/version of the browser used of course - that would be asking too much evidently.

Just for the hell of it:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.bbc.co.uk&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

12. JennyZ

What I can't figure out it...how do you make a NEW forum post? I can't see it anywhere.

1. Vimes

On the right hand side of the page towards the top there's a section labelled 'Forums'. Your name should be displayed underneath that followed by a bunch of hyperlinks. Click on the 'Create a new topic' link.

13. Vimes

10 minute window for editing posts

There have been a few occasions where I've managed to start editing a post, go over the limit by a minute or two and then get the change rejected when I submit the change (which can be annoying if the change was big).

Is there a chance of extending this window for times when editing started within the 10 minutes? It wouldn't require a huge difference - perhaps allow a total of 15 minutes to edit a post if the editing started within the 10 minute window for example.

Although personally I would suggest extending the period either way. Sometimes I find myself wanting to add additional points to the post but finding myself unable to do so within that post. Perhaps allow additional text to be added outside the 10 minute window but label them as edits & display a timestamp for when the edit was made?

Also I'm not sure if this counts as a bug or enhancement but the 'my posts' link on the mobile version of your site seems to appear at the bottom of the page. This makes getting to it more time consuming than it needs to be on phones when there is a lot of scrolling to do to get past all my comments to get there. Could you please add these links at the top of the page too on the mobile version?

1. Vimes

Re: 10 minute window for editing posts

Example: You post: 'Apple is crap, but so is Samsung'. Other people post, 'yeah, I agree', then you edit your post to remove the Samsung reference....

I was thinking of additions rather than edits or outright deletions. Given the lack of any real structure to the threads (for some reason they thought removing the timestamp from posts was a good idea which has only made that even worse) and the large number of posts in some of them being able to append something might be useful.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: 10 minute window for editing posts

If you really feel the need to edit a post after ten minutes:

Open your first post.

Copy the content.

Withdraw the first post.

Paste the original, and edit it. Then post.

Note: Not a suggested idea if your original has already been responded to.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Vimes

If I'm already in a section and have clicked on the link to start a new topic, then I have to select that section a second time before posting my message.

Shouldn't the section I've just come from be the default selection in the drop down box, since if I'm in that section then I'll probably want to add the topic there?

Also please consider re-introducing the time stamp for each post or display some sort of unique ID with each post. Doing so will make referring to a specific post much easier - especially when so many people post as anonymous coward.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.