back to article CERN 'gags' physicists in cosmic ray climate experiment

The chief of the world's leading physics lab at CERN in Geneva has prohibited scientists from drawing conclusions from a major experiment. The CLOUD ("Cosmics Leaving Outdoor Droplets") experiment examines the role that energetic particles from deep space play in cloud formation. CLOUD uses CERN's proton synchrotron to examine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

AGW propoganda

This is a poor place to start. It is a heavily moderated site where no dissenting opinion is allowed to appear, and where the Gavin Schmidt & "Hockey Team" promote their agenda.

There are planty of alternatives, however if your are suffering from a bout of confirmation bias withdrawal, realclimate.org is the place to go.

Dweeb

1. Chris007
    Mushroom

To all the Climate change believers

pls explain 1000ad - 1200ad warm period or mini ice-age using current IPCC models......

what's that, you can't because there wasn't enough man-made CO2 production back then - oh dear....perhaps the climate is affected by something more significant than CO2 then.....

1. Chris007
      Trollface

thumbs down...

...yet no explanation why a thumbs down or an explanation to satisfy my question.

how very expected from the believer brigade

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Alert

You haven't been following

You obviously failed to read the "climategate" mails, wherein you will have found the answer.

The medieval warm peiod has been expunged from the record using specially chosen "tree-o-momenters". By this method the question you pose becomes irrelevant.

Historians, geologists and quite a few others (statisticians and "tree-o-momoter" experts as well) have some serious issues with the temperature record which excludes the medieval warm period - but for the time being "Gavin Schmidt and the hgockey team" pretty much control the primary information flows and the medieval warm period no longer appears to have existsed

Dweeb

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Err...

I was under the impression that the medival warm period was a localised event and therefore not climate.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

It was global (more or less)

There is deological evidence to suggest it was in fact global. The jury is out - more research needed - but growing evidence suggests that it was not a limited event.

2. You're all dinosaurs

Odds of cosmic ray spike coinciding with industrial expansion?

Has anyone considered the incredible odds of cosmic rays, a fairly random phenomenon based on distant events, spiking at the same time as a the massive expansion of humanity's industries and carbon output? They must be, er, astronomical?

Cosmic rays don't have a known pattern like solar behaviour, but they do seem a convenient 'nothing to do with us' excuse for the deniers.

Either that, or the universe is trying to self-correct humans out of existence before we get off this dirtball and spread our filthy ways to the stars.

1. viz
      FAIL

If you read the findings...

Cosmic rays don't have a known pattern like solar behaviour, but they do seem a convenient 'nothing to do with us' excuse for the deniers.

-----

Actually when solar activity is high, it seems to deflect cosmic rays, leading to less cloud formation. You can read the science yourself. The phenomena discovered at CERN may also explain why other planets are warming too. Mars is losing it's ice caps. What are the odds that the rate at which the ice caps melting on Mars is spiking at the same time as the massive expansion of humanity's industries and carbon output? Astronomical? Yet there it is...

You are engaged in a fallacy. The rule you are breaking is "Correlation does not necessarily imply causation". It's quite possible that there are other factors causing the earth to warm besides AGW. I'm not a denier, but until all the facts and proof are in, I remain skeptical of any theory that explains global warming. Anyone that believes otherwise is a fool, like the global cooling alarmists of the 80s. Back then we were going to freeze to death.

3. Adrian Midgley 1
    FAIL

30 seconds with Google on IPCC cosmic rays shows the Third Annual Report contains ...

http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg1/246.htm

4. David Robinson 2

Coincidence???

No-one has mentioned the report in the newspaper this morning that a certain professor Steven Rose ? has said that the BBC would not be broadcasting anything that did not go along with the AGW theory. That is as if they hadn't been doing that all along! This at the same time as the announcement about cosmic rays..

Conspiracy? Hiding the facts? Of course not. It's just that we cannot be trusted with anything but the official line.

Dave.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

BBC Policy

There is a BBC policy statement prohibiting balance on this matter.

The policy of the BBC is that the debate is over and AGW is the answer.

I am sorry I do not have the link, go looking for it if you are interested.

Dweeb

5. Berg
    Meh

Good Lysenko Reference

Today's post-modern climate science is precisely the same thing. The science was equally settled about phrenology. Look up "Pseudoscience" in a dictionary a decade from now and you will find the picture of professional fraudsters Gore/Pachauri receiving the Nobel (peace) Prize.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

One thing I DO know ...

... is that this matter will ultimately be settled by the likes of us commentards and professional, ethical journalists like Andrew Orlowski.

7. viz
    Thumb Up

Wow some real science...

This might explain why the rest of the planets are warming too. I'm almost positive that the planetary (planets other than earth) warming isn't happening because of my neighbor's Chevy Suburban.

I'm not a denialist, because I know the planet is warming. I just have some serious reservations about the AGW alarmists' lack of comprehensive science and their willingness to jump to conclusions before all factors are considered.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.