nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Calling all commentards: Want some new icons?

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

Meerkat Icon.

Me!

Simples.

min

can we...

..have an icon in honour of Mike Godwin, for everyone who wants to introduce Nazi comparisons into their comments? i'd like that.

oh, and one of Jobs in drag.

Sheep (in a vacuum) - Reg Standards Icon

Post complies with official El Reg standard units of measurement.

Silver badge

facepalm

facepalm icon

Anonymous Coward

POPCORN

We need popcorn for those stories that we know will generate 100's of comments and deteriorate into a slanging match.

DJV
Silver badge

POPCORN...

Also known as a ZDNet icon </sarcasm>

I remember when the internet was just fields

How about something for reminiscing, those were the days, etc?

Badgers

Correction icon..

I remember when the internet was just tubes.

Thumb Up

Excellent Idea

I propose a punched card.

...when the Internet was just fields...

Perhaps an icon of a TRS80, or a BBC Micro, or Doug Englebart.

"I remember when our Admin used to get us all up at 3am and make us lick the Internet clean with our tongues -- but you tell the youth of today that, and they'd never believe you...!"

Silver badge
Go

Two tin cans and a piece of string

Or a typewriter

Anonymous Coward

Or an acoustic coupler and an ASR-33?

A body is also required, but frankly the title has entirely captured the idea I wanted to put across already.

Anonymous Coward

orbital cheese Icon

For Elon Musk related stuff.

Tesla, spacex, paypal etc. and other cheesey needs.

re: orbital cheese icon

"For Elon Musk related stuff.

Tesla, spacex, paypal etc. and other cheesey needs..."

Oh, yeah... that would be a Wallace & Gromit On The Moon Icon.

Silver badge

Space

Wallace and Gromit on the moon.

Silver badge

Fondle this

I'm not a great icon user as few of them "speak to me". In fact I'd have to say I don't know what most of the ones with a face on them mean - or are for. They're too small and too busy to have an immediate impact.

We keep getting told that tablets are the way of the future, providing we keep taking them. So I'd suggest a fondleslab icon - I'll leave the details of what, exactly, should be fondled up to t'committee.

Controversial

Retire Paris, she's given good service (nudge nudge) but is well past her sell by. New Charlie Sheen Nutjob icon. I think a lube icon of some kind vaseline, astroglide, just to hint that we may be getting shafted.

Anonymous Coward

not only do we need Annon

But we also need more Facepalm

maybe some more cow bell too!

While we are at it.....

Being able to sort posts by thumbs up / thumbs down would be nice.

Which reminds me. There isn't a "pretty please" / grovel icon.....

On knees praying? Hands clasped in prayers?

On knees praying? Hands clasped in prayers?

@ The multitude of "IT personality" icons

Thinking move the personality icons to the bottom two (new) rows, which would allow 12. Second from bottom row is their 'angelic' form and bottom their 'demonic' form in the same order, so they are above/below each other. May allow that number of personality icons without appearing cluttered. YMMV, but might be worth a mock-up to see.

how about...

Given topics of much commentness of late:

A 50s style atom and a mushroom cloud

Some Richard Dawkins and Pope ones

and other thoughts are

Definitely bring that Sir Humphrey to the forums

Perhaps a pile of cash icon too

Silver badge

"Definitely bring that Sir Humphrey to the forums"

Lyttelton or Appleby?

(yes)

Both are known for spouting vast tracts of nonsense with a straight face, but only one of them does so for comical purposes. So, which one is it?

Dunces hat icon

For responding to spectacularly dumb comments.

Like this: http://bit.ly/hVxUVo

Alt Text: 'I believe your understanding of the issue is somewhat lacking'

One more

A cartoon singing whale for marketing tomfoolery.

Alt text: 'This comment comes with an overpowering smell of incense'

Facepalm

I second the request for a Picard icon. Facepalm ftw.

Kettle of fuckery

As suggested by Sarah Bee and seconded by me on the story of the Asian sex-orcist story from last year.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Kettle of fuckery

Ooh, and we definitely need an ODFO.

Gold badge
Coffee/keyboard

@HFoster

I haven't got the slightest Scooby what a "Kettle of fuckery" is or might look like, but it made me laugh so hard I upvoted this one anyway.

Silver badge

ODFO

FTW

"Kettle Of Fuckery"?

I think that may be related to "clownshit".

My Suggestions

mushroom cloud - no fukushima problem here icon.

Striesand's nose - for the effect icon.

Darwin and Christian Fish icons.

Hitler cat - Godwins law

Silver badge

Seconding the kitler

We should likely have a godwin icon and a kitler sounds as inoffensive as it's likely to get.

Thumb Up

I will happily donate my Kitler to the cause.

Well, a picture of him, anyway.

Poor little furry bugger.

limited +1

for the evolve/darwin fish and nuke cloud.

you mentioned hitler -- you loose

Twice, by directly mentioning hitler, and secondly by implication when bringing up godwin's law.

Paris Hilton

Loose?

Loose what?

Silver badge
FAIL

@Keith T

Go read Godwin's Law, OK? It's not just mentioning Hitler or Nazis that invoke it.

(this post invisibly adorned with the Grammar Gestapo icon next to the visible Fail one)

TRT
Silver badge

RoTM

Rise of the Machines, and have you got any non-alcoholic beverages?

Gold badge
Happy

Just read this article.....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/20/black_threats/

I'd like to nominate a plain, black square with the word "Friday" written on it (I'm torn between plain white and dayglo multicoloured horror for the text here, although Comic Sans has to be the font), to be used when making a point about any meejah atrocity. Like that one.

I'd also like to nominate Ms Black for an award for providing us with a handy yardstick to measure crapness with.

Silver badge
Go

ISAGN

"I'd also like to nominate Ms Black for an award for providing us with a handy yardstick to measure crapness with."

Which should definitely find its way into the Reg Standards. A first estimate sets the Black in the order of 100k dogturds.

Father Ted and Dougal

Down with that sort of thing.

Careful now

Mmmm.. might be lost on more than a few though, I suspect.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Careful now

Lots of stuff around here is lost on many.

and

a JEDWARD icon to be used to signify the total pointlessness

Welcome

I for one welcome our icon-modifying overlords

How about good/evil Amazon? I would suggest Jeff Bezos, but despite working here for 5 years I don't have a clue what he looks like.

And on the subject of improving el Reg even more, any chance of moving the "back to the forum" link on the up/down vote page? Using a netbook means scrolling down past the comment to get to the link; it'd be nice if it was beside the "we're glad you liked this post" text. Pretty please?

Using the browser back button means the thumbs up/down isn't updated unless you refresh the page.

Pint

Swamp Castle, plus dustbin

There's often enough a pointless and repetitive story, of human endeavour pointed the wrong way. Which deserves a swamp castle.

Obligatory quote:

<<When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, lad, the strongest castle in all of England. >>

And I second earlier call for a dustbin, as "good riddance" is an often-relevant emotion.

A horse icon.

- I'm on one.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

If you want slashdot, you know where to find it.

They heavily bias posts, also meaning anonymous posts basically remain unseen. Also, their use of ever-increasing amounts of javascript and other tomfoolery mean I rarely even bother to read any comments any longer.

I'm sure that's a wonderful idea sir. Let's see, this here's sir's coat, I believe. Good evening sir.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing