back to article Ammo rationing at Wal-Mart as panic buying sweeps US

The USA is suffering the most severe ammunition famine in living memory. Gun fanciers, fearing a Democrat crackdown on every American's right to pack heat, are clearing shelves at ammo shops and hoarding cartridges. AP reports that the Remington Arms Company's factory in North Carolina is now working around the clock trying to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Talking about "no idea"

(Preamble: if you read nothing else in this post, do yourself a favour and take a gander at www.theboxotruth.com - where they say enough talk, let's shoot some rounds into some things and see what REALLY happens)

I've resisted respoding - but alas, can no more.

@ AC Friday 25th September 2009 19:52 GMT :

Your comment really does read like you are reporting 3rd (4th?) hand. I wonder where your learned expertise is from? Care to share how many pistols - 45 or otherwise - you own or have issued? Ever? Real ones, I mean. And no reading about them or playing video games or talking crap at the pub about them doesn't count.

There's been a lot of 45 vs 9 religious argument here - and it's often the case. There's been one or two refreshing items of fact and even references and quotations.

The point is that you can't compare 45 and 9 generically.

Take my carry round, the 9mm 127gr Winchester Ranger SXT +P+. Formerly the Black Talon, with one or two fairly accurate nicknames. Yes, I did say *my* carry round. I've read, and discussed, but I've also shot, trained, and these are loaded in each of my 9mm pistols.

Here's a bit of a discussion on what's special about this round: www.firearmstactical.com/briefs2.htm#Black-Talon.

Let's compare apples:apples - instead of the usual 7-8 single-stack 45 rounds, a flush-fit double-stack 9mm mag may carry anything up to ~18. While the plan is that your first couple of rounds finishes the discussion, the real difference is that with the low capacity at this point I'm already thinking "I'm about to run out" (and 2 more rounds puts me at 50%) compared with having plenty, plenty more to hand wiht the 9mm.

The carry round I mentioned above firstly has awesome initial penetration. This is countered by it having equally awesome expansion characteristics, which both avoid over-penetration and ensure that all of the energy is delivered to the target, as well as contribuiting to the permanent and temporal wound cavity. And at 1250 fps that's plenty of energy.

Take a look here for some very learned discussion and comparisons: www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/defense-loads-of-choice-the-word-from-the-street/?email=exclusives

Ayoob is one of if not the leading author on this topic. A couple of his quotes stand out: "Orlando cops are issued P226 SIGs and 127-grain +P+ Winchester, and after many shootings since, they’ve found it to be as effective as any handgun caliber could be."

Again, some more facts and numbers to support this rather than barroom opinion: www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97281

Here's another thought: guess what, until they moved to the current 357SIG round (still not a 45), the US Secret Service used to carry? Trust me they have plenty of $, quite the assignment, and free range to choose. That's right, 9mm Winchester Ranger SXT +P+.

Here's some more facts and tests: www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm there's rubbish ammo out there (as this test shows), but I like the author's comment: "First, a round of Winchester Ranger SXT 9mm, +P+, 127 grain. Why this round? Because that is what I carry in my 9mms. I believe that it is the "best of the best" for now, in non-trick ammo. ".

There's plenty of studies proving both in the lab and on the street that this 9mm round has a 90% one-shot-stop, for instance themilitiafiles.blogspot.com/2009/08/handgun-stopping-power.html

And at the end of the day - as a previous posted noted - shot placement is everything.

As a final thought, when would I very likely want a 45? Well, consider that if you are in the military, and limited to Geneva-convention rounds - ball (FMJ) - typically the basic stuff you'd use for target shooting - in this case I'd quite possibly (mag capacity notwithstanding) consider the crap 45 ammo over the crap 9mm ammo. However, hot 9mm rounds absolutely do the trick, and that's a fact that has been demonstrated, rather than an opinion.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

A few things....

First... You redcoats are SO jealous! [don't bitch about redcoats if you're going to call us yanks] I notice most of the Brit 'ex-pats' that are posting here and living with us bloodthirsty rednecks own guns, hmmm.

Second... You guys just don't know how to party. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31vm3-BQRJU

Third... This story desperately needs an IT angle. Let me help with that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0-nq1QFXmY

Ok, now we can debate which cartridge is better for killing i-macs, the 9mm or the .45. I personally prefer the .44 mag hydroshocks for formatting macs (and dells).

3. tony trolle
    Grenade

Just reload your own..

g20 10mm ;-)

4. Dan 21
    Grenade

Wow. So few people know what they're talking about...

Non-military uses for firearms (Non-exclusive)

1. Hobby

2. Personal defense vs. crime

3. Home defense vs. burglary

4. Police

5. Hunting

6. Paranoia/Gov't defense

For 1, anyting goes. For 2, you need something concealed. For 3, a 12-gage shotgun is ideal.

I don't trust any police officer who says he's shot people on duty enough to be able to talk about 4.

For 5, Shotgun/rifle, caliber to taste.

It's at 6 where you hit the sticking point. Personally, based on the four current and former members of the US Armed Forces in my family, I think that peashooters would work just fine. The military would rapidly run out of officers who ordered soldiers to shoot at US civilians, and the remaining ones would be loyal to the country, as opposed to the government.

Grenade, because I can still buy duct tape, nails, 12" long 2" thread pipe nipples, end caps, and some common household chemicals.

5. 3BEPOTEKCT
    IT Angle

.22 Reasons Why IT Being Not Humanistic

A number of the comments is making the issue outstanding. Could anybody just suppose that the mostly green IT-community will discuss what kicks better - .38 or .45...

Strange that no sound of supporting .22 lead is heard in the environment. Usually this round puts the bullet with great accuracy and less recoil on the subsonic, you can feel the bullet crawling through the barrel. Trigger - it's a mild mouseclick with enough free way.

IMO .22 is an excellent ammo because you can easily hit the subject's extremities without killing him or delivering him a heavy pain shock. The honourable IT-community will possibly agree that this issue is especially important when you plan to have an informative briefing with the subj after the shot.

Real gangstas in the Reg (-; Well, if one decides to shoot the bloody attacker totally dead with .22 lead, one might shoot his head, why worrying about some vests?

6. plymouth_argyles

Shortage exaggerated in the media

Hi. I'm a relatively new gun owner, having purchased a 40 caliber pistol and a 22 caliber rifle in the last year. The ammunition "shortage" I read about gave me an impulse to hoard some bullets. So I've purchased $75 worth of ammo a few times recently. I have never had a problem obtaining bullets from a local sporting goods store. The price is still pretty good for what you get, too. My experience does not match what the media reports. I live in Seattle WA. Hello to my friends in Plymouth England.

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Stop

Hmmmmmmm

First, to deal with the idiotic:

RE: Saganhill

"....You're an idiot. A 45 ACP round for a rifle? Really?..." Yes, it's called the De Lisle silenced rifle. It is so accurate (yes, 300m with .45 because of the long barrel) that it is still in use today even with the large number of suppressed 5.56mm rifles around. Please try some researching before labelling others.

The the legal:

RE: Graham Bartlett

"....And you're not allowed to use more force than is reasonable to stop them hitting you - so once they're down, continuing to beat them with a baseball bat would get you locked up...." My personal experience is that you will still have to explain to the coppers exactly why you thought it necessary to render them unfit to continue the bout. If you admit to being a licensed martial artist then you are likely to be arrested and questioned (as I was). I was told I only got away without a charge of GBH becasue there were two of them. Compare that occurence to a similar event in Dallas, when my American host and I received congratulations from the local Police when we stopped two thugs mugging a lone girl, despite both the muggers needing more than just first aid. We spend far too much time worrying about the rights of criminals here in the UK.

Now for the liberal:

RE: soaklord

Friends in Texas think the real core of the scare started after one of Obama's placements stopped the US military selling on used brass to the commercial market. To explain, the source for the majority of cheap 7.62x51 and 5.56mm ammo was from used rounds sold on to commercial companies that then re-primed and reloaded them for sale to the US public. Rifle rounds made from scratch are more pricey. This recycling also passed a nice wedge of cash back into the US military. There was no reason given for stopping the selling of used brass, which led many to speculate it was a hidden attack on rifle ownership by attempting to drive the price of ammo out of most owners' wallets. Given the previous statements of people like Eric Holder, many gun enthusiasts decided not to wait and see, but to buy up cheap rifle ammo whilst they could. Hence the shortage. This then spawned a panic buying in other calibres, including pistol ammo.

RE: all the anti-Yank sentiment

Personally, I have always felt safer in any Southern US city I've visited than in many spots here in the UK such as parts of London or places like Salford. And part of that was because in the US I at least felt the locals might lend a hand should I get attacked, whereas my experiences in the UK have been of bystanders simply walking away rather than getting involved.

RE: all the anti-gun sentiment

I used to shoot pistols in the UK for sport but now can't. I did also shoot rifles but the restrictions on ownership and storage are so ludicrous that I don't bother anymore. This all despite the fact more people have been killed playing rugby than by rifles in the UK. The whole killing of the UK sport was due to knee-jerk politics and recent armed crime figures show it was completely ineffective. Do I expect any UK political party to reverse the idiocy? Not really. I now only shoot irregularly when visiting friends in the States. My advice to them is to be on their guard as there will always be petty politicians looking to score favour with the uninformed by persecuting gun owners.

Finally, in the 9mmP vs .45ACP kerfuffle - I have shot both and would prefer the 9mmP over the .45ACP. Call me a wimpy Limey but I just didn't like the recoil of the .45 compared to 9 milly, though I have no doubts that the .45 would be most acceptable if the need occured. However, my real preference was for 9mm Short, AKA .380ACP. That usually comes in smaller, lighter blowback pistols, and at the maxumim ten metre range likely for any domestic defence I could comfortably and quickly put a whole mag into a four-inch group. Just fine for delousing the house of unarmoured, junkie burglars.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

serious shooting is geeky!

Re: Anonymous Coward Posted Friday 25th September 2009 16:56 GMT

WTF?

Who'd have thought there were so many ammo nerds around?

--

See other posts about all the factors involved in the 'perfect' gun/round combination. One thing I envy the US about is the ability to experiment with wildcat combos.

Otherwise, there's all sorts of combinations of bullet designs, weights, materials (French THV!). Then same for case dimensions, like what would happen if I necked this case so I could fit that bullet in it? Then lots of different powder types with different burn rates & pressure curves. Then barrel lengths, crowns, twist rates & direction. All of which combine into graphs showing the ballistic performance, down range energy and wound performance. The importance of which varies depending on who's doing the shooting & what they're shooting at.

With all the combinations & permutations involved, it's not suprising it gets technical and sometimes emotive. It's horses for courses, and what I wanted for target shooting wouldn't be the best for self defence. Plus like Lewis said, what the security services do is a whole different ball game to competition shooting. I once got invited to an Army range where we were challenged to hit the target while they set off flash bangs and stuff. Needless to say my score fell a lot :)

9. Doc_B

Seriously? Do some more research!

That's funny, I was at a Gun Show this weekend and there was plenty of ammo to be had. In addition, the local Wally-mart and the local gun stores have plenty. There has been a shortage of .223 (5.56) of late, do to rumors that the AR-15 would be banned, but there now appears to be plenty of that as well.

As to the .45, get real. I have relatives in law enforcement, and friends in government and all of them use .40 or .45 for both professional and personal weapons. Body armor stops .9mm and .38 even better than .45. At least the .45 will knock them down.

BTW, the American military has gone back to .45 for most issue pistols. Son-in-law just came back from IRAQ and that's what he and other senior NCO/Officers carried.

In short, don't rely on the AP for your news. Develop some sources in the private sector and use them. It's called Journalism.

10. Andy Cummings
    Thumb Up

@Matt Bryant

Bravo, sir - well said ;)

Another couple of examples in a .45ACP rifle would be the Marlin Camp Carbines as well as the AR15 - well, actually the AR is available in 9mmP and just about bloody everything else these days (I'll be buying a 6.8mm SPC upper soon for my regular old .223 M4gery).

I too feel safer here in the US than anywhere in the UK.

11. Afreeman

Your article is interesting...

...but a little dated. The ammo situation is easing, but is still not back to normal. Demand still remains unusally high for both ammo and many firerarms. In reply to some of the other comments:

1) I've come to realize that what politicians say and what they do once elected are rarely the same. Obama, Biden, Pelosi, et al. have never met a gun restriction they didn't like or support. The fact that, at this moment, they're not pushing for more gun laws doesn't mean that they won't eventually push for them. Even a career thief doesn't steal every hour of every day.

2) If Americans want to further increase government control of healthcare they have the means to do so by voting for it, not by having another huge government bureau created by politicians who haven't even read or understand the bill that they will be voting on. We already have "universal healthcare" in at least one state, Massachusetts. It is a colossal and bankrupting failure. If it was so wonderful, people would be moving into Massachusetts in droves. Instead, working class people are fleeing that state. What Massachusetts has done is the model for the proposed national plan. Obviously, a wonderful plan to follow nationally.

3) As far as some folks in Britain looking askance at American freedoms, you are entitled to your opinions. Forgive me if I don't think that British "subjects" are somehow more "highly evolved" then us crazy, armed, freedom-loving Yanks. We also find some of your behavior a little entertaining at times. You've effectively removed all guns from your society, and from what I see in the news, you're well on your way to eliminating knives, pointy sticks, and what your masters deem politically incorrect speech and thought. As you continue down that path you have chosen, I wish you well. It is not a path I will choose.

I'll close with a comment to you that I also offer to some of my fellow citizens who would like America to emulate other nations:

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

12. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

I am I glad I live in The UK

Thank goodness we do not routinely arm our police constables as it would cause an arms race like the States. I am glad I live in a Monarchical state they tend to be a great deal more stable then republics take UK , Sweden, Norway over France (how many revolutions?), Germant (enough said) and the US (oh dear).

BTW Obama is in the smallest minority group in the states as he is half white / half black (as is Halle Berry - conveniently forgotten at times like the Oscars). Only someone that crosses both camps can help the States halt bigotry (read racism, anti homosexual, anti handicapped etc - all the same I refuse to distinguish) your biggest issue which perpeuates your unecessary need for firemans.

Maybe if you in the US spent little more time listeningg to your indigenous population (what's left of it) you would learn to live together with more respect. And on the foreign stage actually listened to us, who have made most of the errors you still repeat years ago in the Empire, you may actually find other nations warm to you.

Anon for obvious reasons.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Oh dear...

Glad you live in the UK? You need to remove the blinkers, mate - you're now a bunch of barbarians:

Here's something for you: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

"Britain's violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European union, it has been revealed. Official crime figures show the UK also has a worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and even South Africa - widely considered one of the world's most dangerous countries."

Worse than South Africa? That must have taken some doing.

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/3222063/Gun-crime-60pc-higher-than-official-figures.html

"Last year 5,600 firearms offences were excluded from the official figures. It means that, whereas the Home Office said there were only 9,800 offences in 2007/8, the real total was around 15,400"

15,400 - wow, lucky firearms are mostly banned, eh?

"Police statistics showed forces in England and Wales are on course to record 38,000 serious knife crimes this year, or more than 100 a day, compared with last year's official total of 22,151 offences, a figure announced by the Home Office in July in its first annual count of knife crimes."

100 knife-crimes *a day*? In an area, what, 58,000 sq miles? That's the size of the state of Illinois!

Maybe if you stopped patting yourself on the back and stopped pontificating, you'd actually have time to do something about your massively out-of-control, world-beating crime-wave that puts even South Africa in second place. Here's a hint: focus on criminalizing behavior - not objects that have no brain or will of their own ;)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

@ oh dear

You should stop reading those Tory hack mags.

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF05.htm

England and Wales pop 53 million (about) weapon homcides 53 (Fifty Three)

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/hmrt.htm

US 5.6 homocides per 100 000 pop that's about 17000 (Seventeen Thousand)

Put that figure into prospective over the same period as the Vietnam war 59-73 (58,159 dead)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_war) there were 186 650 homcides, one of which was your own president.

Speaks volumes but are you listening?

Weapons don't kill, people do. But if people don't have easy access to them it makes a great deal harder to pull the trigger

15. AmishBill
    Badgers

Regards to the Bootnote - 9mm can suppress better than .45

If should be said though, that the large bore of the .45acp makes for difficult suppression, as it allows more gas to exit at full speed. Using a fairly common subsonic variant of 9mm, better results can be achieved.

When discussing this topic with the owner of a major US suppressor company , he indicated that the best caliber to suppress is .22lr, followed by by 9mm, and that making a small, light can for .45acp is much more challenging. To make many .45acp cans as quiet as comparable 9mm cans, you have to add water or some other cooling agent.

On the topic of our ammo shortage. Yeah... It bites. I used to find handfuls of boxes of most anything at the local Wal-Mart on the way to the range and cases of whatever I fancied at the local gun shop. Now the Wal-Mart counter is empty of almost everything but shotgun shells and few gunshops have cases of the common calibers for sale, let alone a selection of brands or types. It's most depressing.

16. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Crazy Americans

I'm an immigrant living in the US and I agree with all the remarks about how Americans have some crazy standards. I worked for Walmart for a while unloading trucks, and guess what, ammunition that comes off a truck went straight to the floor, no security required. They have ammo sitting on shelves and four-ways right in the store. However when a shipment of photo film would come in (this is a couple of years ago when people didn't all have digital cameras yet), it wouldn't even stay in the back room, it would go straight into a locked cage behind the store because apparently this was the kind of stuff that would get stolen by associates or something.

So in other words: if you want some bullets to shoot someone, that's easy, just walk in, pick up what you need, pay for it and go home. If you want to take a picture of someone, you'll have to ask someone to help you, and they might ask to see your drivers license and everything.

Insane.

By the way, this was post 9/11.

17. tony trolle
    Happy

ok 9mm it is

check out +p+ loads if you don't want 10mm

18. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

That's nothing. Wait until they ban light-bulbs.

If you thought banning ammo was bad, just wait until they ban light bulbs. I know I'll be stocking up, at Wal-Mart or wherever else I can get them. (Flourescents=heachaches, and the new "warm" LED bulbs= sickly green glow - both unacceptable in my house.)

Now, about those guns... the U.S. is a big place. It's not all small and neat and tidy with everything close together like Europe or whatever. The nearest cop can be 30 minutes away, or more. Prevention makes much more sense.

Side note: To control crime, do more to control drugs and gangs, at their root - not afterwards when drug gangs 'need' weapons to defend their turf. If all the guns suddenly miraculously disappeared, criminals would go back to using knives, rocks, bare hands, baseball bats, feet, big sticks, whatever. Is your wife or sister/granny/etc really going to be a match for a baseball-bat-wielding home-invasion robber who's busted down the front door when you'd been sleeping upstairs? (Okay, some wives and sisters *are* - point taken.)

It's absolutely idiotic to think that "controlling" guns is somehow going to stop criminals from using them - all that does is put decent law-abiding people at a serious disadvantage.

But, hey, enjoy your Kool-Aid, the peace-n-love gun-control stuff.

People would be far better off to ban stupid drivers (about 80% of drivers or thereabouts, even though most people think it's "the other guy" who's at fault) whose WeaponCars(tm) kill and maim thousands of innocent people each year in senseless and preventable gun-free traffic accidents.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like