back to article Oh, I wish it could be Black Friday every day-aayyy, when the wallets start jingling but it's still a week till we're paiii-iid

This may come as a total surprise to you but today is Black Friday. Yes! It crept up on us unawares without anyone mentioning it once. Indeed, they mentioned it not once but at least a dozen times – each. But this year's Black Friday has a very different feel to those in recent years, especially here in Britain where it is …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: And to those Brits who celebrate Thanksgiving:

Ah. And a downvote from someone who obviously hasn't got a clue what is happening in this country outside his little bubble.

A lot of the people who are having to use food banks are in work. I know people who work in them, anyone who tells you they are not needed is a liar, or perhaps a Conservative MP - but I repeat myself.

1. WallMeerkat

Indeed a recent UN report denounced UK inequality at 'Dickensian' levels.

This news was handily buried by all the Brexit too-ing and fro-ing and resignations.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

It we Brits had a day off on the anniversary of every time we'd stolen land from natives, we'd never get any work done.

1. Pen-y-gors

Meanwhile in Welsh Wales

the preferred term for the day known by USAians as 'Black Friday' is Diwrnod Gwario Gwirion - Stupid Spending Day.

1. Nick Kew
      Pint

Re: Meanwhile in Welsh Wales

Nice one. Though google translate gives "mindless" for your stupid, and thinks Day should be Days.

2. David Roberts
    Windows

Having a bad week

Twinged my back and on pain killers so somewhat spaced.

I bought a Black Friday bargain bluetooth speaker and kept thinking "I know there's some reason I shouldn't have done that.".

Now waiting for it to charge before playing the linked track by steel....and thinking "Steelers Wheel? Steeleye Span? I'm sure I know that wierd looking guy holding the blue knob...".

Sigh.

1. Martin
      Thumb Up

Re: Having a bad week

Steely Dan, as I'm sure you know really.

And it's a great performance, marred by rubbish sound until the 4:04 mark - and then suddenly something goes "click" and it's excellent sound for the rest of the video.

3. Cynic_999

I am really surprised

I am truly astounded that in this age where some snowflake or other will twist the meaning of almost any word in order to claim that it is offensive to some minority group or other, that the mere mention of the words, "Black Friday" does not lead to an immediate teeth-gnashing outcry from "those who know best".

1. Boo Radley

Re: I am really surprised

I always refer to it as African American Friday just to be pc.

4. Mage Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Crap's Chocolate?

"L'article « Crap's chocolate » n'existe pas sur ce wiki !

Vous souhaitez le créer ? Vérifiez auparavant que le sujet n'a pas déjà été traité dans les résultats ci-dessous, puis assurez-vous qu'il est admissible dans l'encyclopédie.

Pour créer « Crap's chocolate », suivez le guide !"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Crap's Chocolate?

Not sure how many people in the UK, particularly England, have learned French in recent years. Even the Baby Boomers were only guaranteed such lessons if they passed the 11+. Before 1944 the Junior Technical Schools were specifically barred by law from teaching foreign languages. The few pupils nowadays who do choose Modern Languages seem to prefer Spanish or German.

From my time working in Luxembourg there are a large number of French "comic" books on my shelves - mostly Asterix but also a few of the purely adult ones like Lauzier.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With perfect timing

As I reach the end of the comments I get an email trying to sell me crap I do not want.

It's like Booking.com and its belief that because I once stayed in Harrogate I want to stay there every time an hotel there has a vacancy. Yes I did once buy a laptop from you. Six months ago. So why do I want to buy an old model inferior spec laptop from you?

I would be all in favour of creepily intrusive monitoring and AI if it would do a decent job, work out that I never, ever buy stuff from emails, and stopped sending them.

1. Andy A

Re: With perfect timing

The number of traders who spam everyone whose email address they can get their hands on is very annoying.

I once used an email address to allow a company dealing in bathroom fittings to tell me when they would be ready for collection. They seem to have assumed that I would be refurbishing my bathroom at least three times a week. As soon as the goods were collected, they were added to the Always Block list.

I can count on one finger the number of traders reaching my inbox who get it right.

Having bought something for car restoration from an online trader which was difficult to source elsewhere, they started sending me their circulars, usually once or twice a month. All are about their special offers, are for different types of product, or are pointing me at a video showing their products being used. When I buy more items (about once a year), they recognise that I am already in their list, and don't send me multiple mailshots. When they asked me about GDPR, I happily ticked the box to continue the relationship.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: With perfect timing

"It's like Booking.com and its belief that because I once stayed in Harrogate I want to stay there every time an hotel there has a vacancy."

The only sensible way to deal with booking.com is to have the email server control open on another tab ready to click to set the email address you gave then to bounce the moment the confirmation email hits your inbox.

6. mad_dr

I love Black Friday

It's such a convenient way to unsubscribe from all those mailing lists I should have been more careful to opt-out of (or didn't intend to sign up for in the first place) over the past 12 months.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're doing it all wrong

You need a holiday on Thursday where you stuff yourself to the gills, watch some football – your kind or ours, it doesn't matter.

Then you'll wake up Friday morning full of energy for shopping.

(And to the nutters that insist on calling us USAians – you know who you are – just stop it. You know the proper word. Just try telling a Canadian that he's an American too and see how far Canadian politeness really goes.)

1. peter_dtm
      Stop

Re: You're doing it all wrong

No, no, no !

Canadians are North North Americans- the rebels south of the border are USA-ians

(Though it does sometimes take a while for a N N American to count to 2)

1. DanceMan
        Happy

Re: You're doing it all wrong

We Canadians had Thanksgiving back in October. Leaves us more time for shopping when Black Friday comes around.

And we still have Boxing Day.

8. spold Silver badge

Culturally myopic

Singles Day 11/11 in China out-does this by a factor of 10 (closer to 30 this year actually).

Originally routed in a day to celebrate being single as opposed to Valentine's day... (And the 1 is similar to the Chinese character for single)

Alibaba steals the show ;-)

1. spold Silver badge

Re: Culturally myopic

Oh really - 40 thieves do I have to try that hard :-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Happiness is ... being an indignant, humourless bastard.

10. Deimos

All the world should celebrate thanks giving

And give Thanks we are not Americans...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All the world should celebrate thanks giving

Correct me if I am wrong but wasnt the tradition of eating turkey at Thanksgiving starteď when the native Americans gifted some turkeys to the first settlers?

I wonder what we'd be eating at Thanksgiving if the gift had been - say - little pussycats

1. jake Silver badge

Re: All the world should celebrate thanks giving

The turkey probably wasn't all that important originally. See this page for a pretty definitive rundown.

As for the pussy, what you choose to nibble on in the privacy of your own home is none of my business.

11. Unicornpiss
    Happy

Speaking of queuing..

You forgot the Black Friday tradition for idiots waiting for hours in the freezing drizzle outside of Wal-mart or similar at 5AM for the doors to open so the first 50 can grab a child's bicycle or Tickle Me Elmo for half price. There have actually been stores with a police presence outside to maintain order when the doors open.

Now grocery shopping is a different story on Black Friday. Everyone is eating leftovers after the US Thanksgiving holiday, no one wants to face the thought of buying/preparing more food, and all the idiots are Christmas shopping. So there is practically no one in the grocery stores. It's blissful.

1. #define INFINITY -1

Re: Speaking of queuing..

Sounds a bit harsh to me... people who hunt for bargains often are, you know, cash strapped. Like maybe a few steps down the ladder from those who don't need to.

12. Toilet Duk

I work in the cyber-security department of a bank and I'm currently on cyber-weekend overtime watching Netflix and eating chocolate biscuits while nothing happens. I'm getting double-time plus time off in lieu so I'd like to thank the fatties and thickos for making this happen.

1. #define INFINITY -1

Groan! It isn't the 'fattys and thickos' making this happen, it is the capitalistic system. I will refrain from mocking someone to whom this isn't as clear as freshly cleaned toilet (?)

13. Tezfair
    WTF?

Bullshit prices

Few weeks ago, Ebuyers Home and Business 2016 Office somewhere around £158. Last week had to buy one (16/11), £174.99, Black Friday deal, £157.49. ex VAT prices.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Bullshit prices

During the meanwhile, LibreOffice is £0. WTF indeed.

(Yes, it DOES work in 99.9999% of all cases ... but I'm certain you can find an really good excuse to be in that 0.0001% of the "Special" people ... )

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"During the meanwhile, LibreOffice is £0. WTF indeed.

(Yes, it DOES work in 99.9999% of all cases ... but I'm certain you can find an really good excuse to be in that 0.0001% of the "Special" people ... )"

The problem is the manager who has managed to produce a Word document which Word allows but which breaks every rule of sane layout and typography, and the helots have to do something with it. Probably even the previous generation of Word won't render it properly, let alone a different office suite.

As that's the intended effect, it's a feature not a bug.

1. jake Silver badge

As I said, the "special" people. The ones that intentionally or unintentionally make life difficult for the vast majority of us.

14. Luiz Abdala
    Pint

Everything for half of the doubled price...

In Brazil, this event is aptly nicknamed Black Fraud day.

Every item that cost 200.00 the week before now has a sale sign "From 500 to 250".

To top it off it doesn't apply JUST to Electronics. Oh no. Supermarkets. Soft drinks. Beer. In stacks that defy gravity and the safety of customers should they collapse. As if I needed a discount to buy Pilsen, Lager or Coca-Cola in large quantities.

Apparently black ballons were on sale too, because they were used for decoration. It looked like a birthday party for Goth children, with mostly black clothing, black nails to match, and purple hair. A complete mockery of what it should have been.

I was going to buy Heineken regardless, not included in the event ---> icon

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Everything for half of the doubled price...

"I was going to buy Heineken regardless"

They don't sell beer in Brazil?

15. Slx

Amusing trademarks work both ways.

Look up what Pajero means in Spanish. I cannot believe people in the UK and Ireland drive around in cars with it printed on the back.

Let's just say it begins with w and rhymes with banker.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Amusing trademarks work both ways.

Don't be silly. Pájaro, translated literally, means bird. The word for wanker in Spain is gilipollas; in much of Latin America it is el pendejo (for boys) or la pendeja (for girls).

Now, colloquialisms and slang can make pretty much any word mean pretty much anything ... and there are a lot of colloquial versions of Spanish around the world.

1. WallMeerkat

It's like the old urban myth of the Nova / no-go, which was renamed in South America. (Spain used the Opel Corsa name like the rest of Europe).

Or the actual case of the Toyota MR2, which didn't go down well in French (Merdeux) and was renamed MR-S.

And the Citroen Evasion which was renamed Synergie in the UK, as 'Evasion' tends to mean 'Getting away *with* it' all rather than *from* it all.

2. Outer mongolian custard monster from outer space (honest)

*cough*

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/spanish-english/pajero

1. jake Silver badge

*cough*

http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/pajaro

16. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The paving slab laptop doesn't sound too bad. Build quality and serviceablity we'll never see again in the name of shaving a few more microns off the thickness.

On other fronts - I was looking for a box to build a new MythTV system. Oh, look here's one in $PopularVendor's list on Black Friday offer. It's the one that takes a full height* optical drive. The options for slim-line and slot-loading are full price. Are they trying to shift old stock.

*For pedants - yes I too remember when that size was called half height. If I put my mind to it I can probably find an original full height, i.e. the same as and 8" drive, 5 3/4" floppy drive in the garage.

17. drkw

Old Shopper

I decided at last to get a 1TB £117 SSD on black Friday. Made an order and it was accepted by the usual big retailer. Shortly after I was informed that delivery would be from end of Dec to Feb. Not really miffed since it was for me, not a Christmas present for someone else (the bill would then come much later). Also I had been looking on Currys site at Dyson vacs, but even 10% discount was not enough to tempt me. Next day my web viewing was showing ads from Dyson Direct. Among the offers was an older version (V6) at £180, which I took. How did a Currys view generate a Dyson Direct advert?

My opinion is that older stuff can be better than newer, since manufacturers' research is often directed at product cost cutting rather than improvement. Mr Dyson may be the exception, but improvements are often just tiny increments and not worth the price hike (eg Intel). The gadget Show recently compared old with new and a 12 year old secondhand sound system soundly beat a new one at a higher price. I rest my case.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Old Shopper

"My opinion is that older stuff can be better than newer, [...]"

My old dishwasher was advise as uneconomical to repair. The modern one - as advertised - is much quieter. Unfortunately many dishes now need hand washing before a (hopefully) sterilising machine wash.

Ditto the old clothes washing machine. The new one has a special device to stop inlet water leakage into the drum between washes. The old one never had that problem - the new one is often half full of water that has to be emptied before it can be used. To rub salt in the wound the new one is a cold feed only - so cannot use the more economic source of hot water via the gas boiler.

18. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Applause

Applause. Though British are not the only ones to queue orderly. As illustrated by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxqwXNfYmOQ

Around 3:20

19. cpage

Continentals make fun of our tendency to form queues

A few years ago one of my colleagues, visiting from the Netherlands but very familiar with this country, said that he was walking along a London street and stopped for a minute to look at an interesting building, considering taking a photo of it. Almost immediately a queue formed behind him, assuming that he was at the front of a queue for some reason.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Black Friday (well, around here anyway) will always be the last Friday before the Christmas shutdown when everyone hits the town and gets absolutely bladdered. Its probably more enjoyable than the imported version, although as expensive and you do still go home with bruises.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like