back to article If at first or second you don't succeed, you may be Microsoft: Hold off installing re-released Windows Oct Update

The 1809 build of Windows 10 and Windows Server is fast becoming infamous. Microsoft pulled it shortly after release when it started deleting people's files, and stumbling in other ways. Redmond reissued the software on Tuesday, and today it's clear you shouldn't rush into deploying it, if installing it at all, in its present …

Page:

1. James O'Shea

@herman Re: Vista anyone? Anyone?

No, the purpose is to make Microsoft Bob look better. And it's working.

2. jelabarre59

Re: Vista anyone? Anyone?

I think the purpose of Win10 is to make WinME and Vista look better.

And ReactOS.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Testing on various flavours of W10 hardware

Surface pro 2 and 4, Dell 4480, Lenovo T430i, all work perfectly ok. Some with and some without Bitlocker.

Having login scripts that remove and remap network drives seems to help.

2. SVV

Try it out before you deploy it on a system you rely on

Other people are doing that for us all, which is why nobody with any sense will install it on a system they rely on (or "use" as I prefer to say).

I like how on every one of these Win 10 update horror story threads, there's always one "well I installed it and everything works for me" post, as if that somehow negates the actual disastrous consequences being described in the article.

3. LenG

Poor advice

"All in all, try it out before you deploy it on a system you rely on"

Do you really think I am masochistic enough to have more than one M$ system in my home?

4. HKmk23

I have had enough

I have taken all my pcs off the internet except one W10 which is not connected to my network. All the others (five) have been rebuilt to Windows 7 professional sp1. This give me back control and Micro###t can no longer force updates, screw my systems, or any of their other "advantages".... when and if they manage to develop a computer system for us the users (known as customers) instead of the coffee klatch at Redmond'a wank tank I may try again.

1. John 104

Re: I have had enough

@HKmk23

I have had enough

I have taken all my pcs off the internet except one W10 which is not connected to my network. All the others (five) have been rebuilt to Windows 7 professional sp1. This give me back control and Micro###t can no longer force updates, screw my systems, or any of their other "advantages".... when and if they manage to develop a computer system for us the users (known as customers) instead of the coffee klatch at Redmond'a wank tank I may try again.

Clearly you haven't had enough. If you had, you would have put Linux on there or bought a Mac. You are getting close, though

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: I have had enough

"the coffee klatch at Redmond'a wank tank"

Ah, THAT's who they have "testing" nowadays, is it?

5. adam payne

a bug it knew was present in Windows, but chose not to fix in the re-release of build 1809. It suggests setting up script files, scheduled tasks, or changing the group policy settings. That said, these may not last beyond a reboot, and could need to be reapplied.

No, no and no.

I am not messing around with workarounds for a problem that shouldn't be there. You knew it was there and should have resolved it before releasing the patch again.

Microsoft says it'll sort out the issues "in the 2019 timeframe."

You think fixing it next year is reasonable time frame, who are you trying to kid?

1. David Nash Silver badge

What does "in the 2019 timeframe" mean that they couldn't have said with "in 2019"?

1. jelabarre59

What does "in the 2019 timeframe" mean that they couldn't have said with "in 2019"?

That's because MS wants to define "2019-timeframe" as the 650 day period starting 01-Jan-2019.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

2019-Timeframe

Only 650 days? I make it 1096 (until 01-Jan-2022).

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

-- What does "in the 2019 timeframe" mean that they couldn't have said with "in 2019"?

It means the press release was shat out by a fully qualified telephone sanitisation operative. It's kinda helpful in a way. You can tell just by skimming that you needn't pay any attention to anything else the idiot says.

6. Alan Sharkey

I am a home user

and I have 5 network drives (to different areas of my NAS) and 5 subst'ed drives. They all seem to be OK in 1803 but I did have an issue for a while with one of my networked drives having a red X. It went away after a small update some time ago.

I would like the 1809 update purely so I can respond to text messages on my PC - but it's not worth blowing away my network drives just for that.

7. bobjimwhit

In our house there are, all told, seven P.C's. running Windows 10 plus one Server 2010 and one Linux machine.

The Windows ones never give problems ,

The server one, I have no idea because I don't use it.

The Linux one occasionally crashes and as no-one knows anything about Linux, we have to call my son over to fix it.

Windows works for the vast, VAST majority of people. I don't know how many people complain about it, but you won't find any here.

And it cost nothing...Did you buy Windows 7, well ever since then its been a free give away..

All the computers in the house are regularly upgraded, No.1 son gets the latest and all the hardware moves down the family untill I get the last hand me down..

I am currently running i7 devils canyon, 16mb Ram, 960SSd, ATI 7970 in eyefinnity with six screens......windows never lets us down

If you don't like it, stop moaning and try something else...best of luck with that then.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"And it cost nothing...Did you buy Windows 7, well ever since then its been a free give away. All the computers in the house are regularly upgraded, ..."

If you've actually bought a new computer in the last year or two then you have bought Windows 10, but you weren't paying attention and so they could charge whatever they liked as long as it was bundled with the hardware.

If you've been more careful and consistently upgraded existing machines that came with Win7 a long time ago, then you've probably broken the terms of the Win7 licence, because OEM licences are tied to whatever hardware they were bundled with.

If you bought Win7 Pro all those years ago, you're legal, but you've paid far more than it and all its successors put together are actually worth.

2. georgezilla Silver badge

" ... If you don't like it, stop moaning and try something else...best of luck with that then. ... "

Just to let you know, I'm taking your advise ....

Wait a sec ......

Hang on ......

Let me look at something ......

OOPS!!

Sorry, I just can't take your advise.

Seems that I "tried" something else in 1998. And have apparently been using it every day sense then.

In 1998 it was named Slackware. In 2018 it's named opensuse leap 15. You may know it as Linux.

It works(ed) on everything I've ever installed it on. I've fixed it easily ( on my own, usually within a hour ) when by some chance it breaks ( Usually my own fault. Seems that I keep sticking my fingers into things. Freedom does that you know). It gets updated ONLY when I want ( a couple times a week if needed ), and only what I want to have updated.

The last time an update "borked" anything was ......

Ummmm ..........

Huhhh ......

Oh like ......

Oops.

So long ago that I can't remember when it actually was.

So thank you for your concern and advise. But I think that I will just stay with what "just works" ( to barrow a phrase ), and keep using Linux.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I am currently running

16mb of Ram? Are you sure that's not 16MB of L3 cache or something else a bit more raisinable?

OTOH, if you can even get a Windows install DVD to run on 16MB, then you can probably get anything to work. Then of course you will have trouble understanding other people's troubles.

Keep in mind that every Random Problem Generator (incl. mine!) will work just often enough to get us to keep using it, so it can keep right on ****ing with us. Just realize it's all a crap shoot anyway, count yourself lucky, and be even more cautious in the future.

8. Jay Lenovo
    Facepalm

Microsoft Calculator 1810

Results can now be displayed in units of "close enough".

9. tallenglish

Tried it

Got to 25% for me and gave up.

At least it didn't delete anything (except itself), although I was smart enough to do a full backup just in case it decided it didn't like VMware or Bitlocker.

Think they need to hand testing back to the humans as this new AI doesn't seem to be working at all.

10. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

Mission Impossible

"Bill Gates has been found guilty of crimes against humanity. Your mission Mr. Phelps is to unravel the giant bowl of spaghetti sitting in Redmond, WA and lift the oppression plaguing billions worldwide. As usual the Secretary will disavow any action......while he shorts their stock"

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Mission Impossible

If Bill Gates were still running the show, this wouldn't be happening. It speaks volumes (mostly about the people he left in charge) that people still associate him with the company.

11. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Facepalm

Beta testers

In the old school, the first adopters with the last beta testers.

In the new school, the first adopters are the only testers.

12. JohnFen

That's "improved quality" for you!

Microsoft should have known not to jinx themselves by bragging that they've improved their update quality. Particularly when that was an obvious lie even before this new update.

13. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I had an email from someone the other day saying he'd had some IT problems and had I received his previous email because I he hadn't had a reply (I'd received it but hadn't got round to sorting out material for the reply). I didn't stick my head above the parapet by asking what his problems were but I noticed his emails have the sig "Sent from Mail for Windows 10."

14. AdamWill

Q&A?

"Microsoft says it'll sort out the issues "in the 2019 timeframe." That stunning Redmond Q&A at work again, we guess."

Er. Ahem.

1) It's "QA", as in "quality assurance". Not "Q&A", as in "questions and answers".

2) QA's job is to find the bugs, not fix them. Thus QA did its job just fine, it seems, since Microsoft knew about the bug. If dev decided not to fix it, that's all dev's problem. ;)

15. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

AND...

Many of us in the Windows 10 Insider program are still being prompted to 'Activate Windows' ad nauseam. None of Microsoft's patches, tools or tips solve the problem. Annoying. Microsoft. (0_o)

16. Someone Else Silver badge

All I want for Christmas is...

...a way to disable (and I mean really disable) Windows updates.

And a way to disable (and I mean really and permanently disable) Windows Slurp. But that might be considered greedy, and this being Christmas.... Maybe for Valentine's day?

17. Ian Johnston Silver badge

What I would really, really like to know is why Microsoft updates are so grindingly slow. A really big Ubuntu update might be 500M, including a new kernel, and once it's downloaded it takes five or ten minutes to install. Similarly sized Windows updates seem to require hours - literally - of disk grinding. Why?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Mushroom

Windows updates seem to require hours

"Similarly sized Windows updates seem to require hours - literally - of disk grinding. Why?"

A lack of PROPER write cacheing is probably a big part of it. Linux has an efficient journaling file system AND supports some pretty aggressive write cacheing, especially when you compare it to what Micro-shaft does [what I call 'paranoid' cacheing].

Second would be "the Registry" in general. What started out as a simple replacement for INI files [which it was better than, mostly] turned into "that" over a period of years, once OLE and "all of those embeddable things you will never use" and then ".Not" happened.

EVERYTHING I have seen in EVERY windows version that supports "the Registry" tells me that it's "paranoid cached" to the maximum possible extent; that is, it seems to physically RE-READ everything, even if no changes have been made, and appears to do a physical disk write EVERY TIME you change ANYTHING, even the most trivial thing. I could easily be wrong about that, having NOT seen the internals of it, but performance measurements SUGGEST that I am RIGHT about it.

If the registry were treated by the kernel like a transaction-based system, this wouldn't be a problem. it would act like EVERY RELATIONAL DATABASE does when you have simultaneous queries and updates. This kind of tech has been around a long time and MS has their OWN relational database to use as a clue on how to implement something like that.

But, NOOoooo... "the Registry" CONTINUES to be a road block for performance, BOTH READ AND WRITE performance, making application loading take longer, and making INSTALLS and UPDATES take longer, too.

</rant>

18. Dan 55 Silver badge

Are people getting fired over this?

If they are, they're the wrong people, because it's still happening.

19. planetzog

I have found the perfect OS for my desktop and laptop. It doesn't crash, it does what an OS should do, my computers are lightning fast, and I'm not plagued with endless hassle with updates, security issues, and bugs. It's called......... Windows 7.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've upgraded most of my stuff to linux, for the rest that won't work I've upgraded from windows 10 to windows 7.

All that's left on windows 10 are games. I've joined the insider program so I can rant at them about how crap it is. I even had to do a fresh install to achieve that.....

1. conscience
      Linux

@AC "All that's left on windows 10 are games."

If they are Steam games, have a look at Steam Play. Using a Valve-enhanced version of WINE called Proton, you can now run your 'Windows only' games on Linux directly from the Linux Steam client. There's a whitelist of tested to be 100% compatible games, and Valve are working their way the entire back catalogue of 'Windows only' games so eventually they'll all 'just work' right 'out of the box' on Linux.

If you are one of the many gamers that is totally fed up of Microsoft and Windows, it's the perfect answer and it doesn't require any technical knowledge, special configuration or any other messing about.

All you have to do is enable the Steam client Beta from the settings, and then the whitelisted titles are shown in the Linux Steam client and can be installed with a single click. If a game you want to play isn't on the whitelist yet then you can turn on 'enable all games' for Steam Play from the settings and try your luck. Personally I've found many of the games that are not yet on the whitelist already work just fine, but YMMV depending on the game.

Enabling Steam Play couldn't be easier:

1.Click On Steam (in steam client, top left corner)

2.Click On Settings

3.Click On Account

4.You'll see a button that says "change" below Beta Participating

5.Select Steam Beta Update

6.You are all done

21. Bandit8623

sound blaster audio

new build breaks my microphone . basicly unusable. 1803 was just fine.

22. bigtreeman

second screen

Handling a second screen has new features after update.

Anyone else ?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like