back to article Now Europe wants a four-million-quid AI-powered lie detector at border checkpoints

The EU is readying an AI-based screening system designed to catch travelers who lie about their reasons for visiting the Continent. The European Commission has thrown more than €4.5m (£4m, $5.1m) into iBorderCtrl, a self-described "intelligent control system" that analyzes answers given by travelers to a series of questions at …

Page:

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

I'm setting up a business

I will sell a guaranteed defeat to this system ...

"that analyzes answers given by travelers to a series of questions at border checkpoints, and their facial expressions..."

It involves having a few Botox jabs called "Detector Defeat Therapy" (if it's got a poisonous acronym it'll encourage more rich idiots to have it injected into their faces). As can been by watching any TV involving Hollywood 'people', the face moves as much as a damn plastic manikin so won't set off a detector unless it's so hot the face melts ...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ugh.

As an American, all I can ask is that you quit following our government's most fucktarded notions.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am pleased to see

that snake oil salesmen are well and alive.

(not so pleased to see where my tax money goes)

4. scrubber

A light detector?

http://weknowmemes.com/2013/07/airport-security-check-color-chart/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HOW much?

Has anybody come up with the usual: "What could possibly go wrong?"....................!!!!!!!

6. JohnFen

Someone invented a working lie detector??

Since up to now, nobody has managed to invent such a thing that actually works, I would have expected this to be headline news! That it's not makes me suspect that this is just as much bullshit voodoo as the polygraph.

7. earl grey
    Trollface

I'm sorry Dave

You shall not pass.

8. ecofeco Silver badge

That's some damn expensive bollocks!

Now seems to be a good time be selling bollocks!

9. RunawayLoop

I see the future

2018: "fingerprinting, palm vein scanning and face matching have been carried out"

2020: gait, eye movement and behavioural characterstics have been carried out

2022: posture, DNA recognition and anal resiliency have been carried out

2024: brain pattern, genital fingerprinting and IQ testing have been carried out

FFS when will this sh!t end???

10. I&I

“Self described” ?

Now we’re getiing into proper AI

(providing it did it from feeling)

11. Handle123456

If you come with a passport

you will be scrutinized, questioned and have your holes prodded. If you come without, you can go right in and request accommodation and money.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The really big, underlying problem

For all those technology and privicy issues this project raises, another major problem is that those universities involved in the project should also draw on their Psychology Departments to find out what we know -- or actually don't know -- about emotions and bodily expressions.

There has for nearly 130 years existed three different schools for what emotions and their foundation and expressions are. Major problems still do exist - or to put it another way: The whole field is a giant mess! To believe that there are fixed facial expressions related to some distinct emotions that you just can read off, shows a poor understanding of the many problems rased in this subject.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Emotions???

As for all the big technology and privacy issues - a major problem is also that there is no unified and agreed upon theory of what emotions are, and how they are ellicited and expressed in humans. Three different schools have existed for more than 130 years, and I doubt the're going to merge tomorrow....

The whole field of Psychology of Emotions is such a mess that important voices recommend we now move back to nearly square one for a coordinated restart of the research. To believe that there are some fixed facials expressions corresponding to some specific emotions is very unsofisticated thinking.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like