back to article It may be poor man's Photoshop, but GIMP casts a Long Shadow with latest update

There appears to be no rest for Wilber as the GIMP team has updated the venerable image editor to version 2.10.6. We were delighted to see the arrival of the Straighten button in version 2.10.4, mainly due to our inability to hold a camera straight. Version 2.10.6 extends this handy feature to include vertical straightening, …

Page:

1. JMcL

Re: Failure version 2.10.6

Speaking as someone who's used GIMP for over 20 years, and Photoshop almost as long, I'll always turn to PS for photographic heavy lifting (though I've relied mostly on Lightroom for the past 10 years or so).

The biggest barrier for GIMP as regards photography for me was always lack of bit depth - GEGL simply stagnated for years. Anything other than extremely basic adjustments would quickly result in a histogram like a wide toothed comb. GEGL support seems to finally be getting there in recent versions, so I may need to check it out, though awkward raw workflows remain an obstacle.

Sadly, photography remains really the only reason I still have to keep Windoze around - wish it were otherwise (and yes, I've given most serious Linux only options a go over the years).

1. cs9
    Joke

I tried GIMP once. It's still stuck at the startup screen. Unfortunately there's no "joking but sort-of-not-joking" icon.

2. big col
    Gimp

The name got me into bother

Many years ago I was showing a group of student teachers the software we used. After a quick photoshop demonstration I was asked if there was anything less costly.

Gimp I say, its open source so free for you to use. I will show you

Unfortunately I entered gimp.com, rather than gimp.org. In those days the .com site was... see icon

Dodgy website projected on big screen to 25 student teachers...

woops... Quick clickety click to the correct address, and carried on red faced.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Straighten tool, really?

As long as GIMP doesn't support adjustment/filter layers - which will come only in 3.2 - it's very little useful for actual image processing. Many modern editing workflows are based on them.

And if it still recommends to work in sRGB (https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-imaging-color-management.html) is really a big no-no for any image taken in RAW format with a digital camera which is not a phone. Its roadmap (https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap) still lists "Support for RGB working spaces other than sRGB " as a future feature, not yet assigned to a release (as real CMYK support), are they kidding? Even commercial monitors often now offer larger color spaces (especially 4K ones), and of course you need at least AdobeRGB to properly asses prints previews.

Same for script recording and playback.

But the priority looks to be to update the widgets library because it couldn't keep pace with its own one (GTK) - and this is anyway a big Linux UI issue, the lack of a standard GUI library with very good backward compatibility leads to issues like this.

I see many here compare it to very old versions of Paint Shop Pro - PSP 7 was released eighteen years ago, and unfortunately it looks where Gimp still is.

Good for basic editing needs if you can't afford anything better (and Adobe subscriptions don't help), but really, not an actual professional tool at all.

4. h4rm0ny

Please use standard Windows UI

Whenever I save or open a file in GIMP I can't paste in a path from Windows Explorer or anything else because it uses it's own archaic file manager that looks like it's built with TKWidgets or something.

1. Charles 9

Re: Please use standard Windows UI

GIMP is multi-platform and has to work on the assumption there is NO standard UI for file handling due to the many distros that are possible.

1. elgarak1

This sound reasonable – until one realizes how many other cross-platform-opensource apps manage to use the standard OS file dialog.

1. Charles 9

Anyway, according to the developers, this is because GIMP uses GTK+, which IS the standard I/O system if you're using GNOME IIRC and doesn't accommodate any other because of this. It's not just Windows users complaining. Those using other Linux desktops like KDE (which uses QT) complain, too, and have been given the WONTFIX.

Thing is, this isn't really an issue with GIMP but with GTK+.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is truly the year of Linux on the desktop.

I miss PixelPaint.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. AceRimmer1980
    Pint

I miss Deluxe Paint

Is there an easy way to select an area and instantly use it as brush, like DPaint could 30 years ago?

1. John Sanders
      Happy

Re: I miss Deluxe Paint

Just tried and it is easy.

Draw something.

Select an area using any of the select tools, area, rectangle, oval, etc.

On the Edit menu, select copy,

Click on the pencil/paint brush tool.

In the tool options, choose clipboard as brush

De-select the area, menu select choose none

Draw.

* Bonus:, adjust size of the brush using the '[' and ']' keys (like photoshop)

Very easy to figure out and I never did it before. GIMP is soooo complicated.

PD: I also loved DPaint, Amiga Rulez!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GNU - Gnu's Not Unix

A recursive Three Letter Acronym

9. Chris G

Other than resizing and removing redeye once or twice I don't use any processing, long ago I decided I wanted to take photos not make them. Itry to get everything right before releasing the shutter, Composition, exposure,iso etc, maybe it has something to do with having learnt with film. Now with digital I have the luxury of taking unlimited shots of a subject with different parameters, unless it is an action shot in which case if I am at an event like motor sport I will be set up for it.

Photoshop et al is graphic art not photography, I hate some of the over processed images you see around that people acclaim as brilliant photography when it's actually the result of hours of processing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Photoshop et al is graphic art not photography

Why I agree that overprocessed images are usually bad, digital photography, like film photography, may still need some "development" to get the best image, especiaòòy if you shoot RAW to expolit the camera fully, even when the image is shoot correctly (which really doesn't require taking unlimited shots if you know what you're doing).

One area for example is sharpening. But camera without an antialiasing filter - used to counter moiré patterns-, any image will benefit from sharpening to recover from the softness created by the filter. It may not look needed when images are greatly downsampled, i.e. an high megapixel image on a 1920x1080 display will be, but as soon as you print it on a good photo printer on larger papers, from A4 onward,, it can easily show. You may also want to reduce noise for high ISO shots.

If you shoot RAW, the dynamic range may be higher than what the display medium could show, so you'll need to bring it into the allowed range while keeping required tonal gradation- it's not different from what Ansel Adams did with its Zone System.

If you shoot JPEG, the camera will process the image for you, applying sharpening, etc. on its own.

But photographers using reversal film (but Franco Fontana duplicated his landscape images to increase saturation...), some degree of post processing in the darkroom was often made, just selecting a paper grade to control contrast was actually a form of post-processing.

But of course for automatic consumer development, and even there enlargers could automatically process the image to make it look good enough on paper, correcting for brightness, casts, etc.

Post processing may be just a finishing touch, or a way to alter the original image wholly. But usually, without a little proper processing, images may not be better than consumer one-hour labs results..

PS: red eyes can be easily avoided as long as the flash is not close and aligned to the lens. Cameras with built in flashes just above the lens are the worst. Also, direct flash is usually a bad lightning choice.

10. Tony Paulazzo

Never mind the User Interface, get MS to bundle it as part of windows. The only reason Photoshop is ubiquitous is because it's easy to pirate for kids, they learn the interface, they're locked in for life, they look at the slight learning curve for GIMP as teens then scurry back to the familiar Photoshop which they'll hopefully pay for as students / adults.

Or, y'know, make it more like Photoshop which would also work.

11. Grenou

Straightened Tower of Pisa?

That means no more tourist and no income from the tourist trade, tsk tsk.

PaintShop ProX9 straightens images very nicely... plus lots of other things.

I have used it since 1998 and have no plans to change :-)

As with all image editors, it's the person using the keyboard who is in charge.

Don't blame the editor..

12. Paul Bullough

Startup time

Does it still take half an hour to load the fonts?

Let me check ...

No! It starts in four seconds. Who are you and what have you done with Gimp?

1. Charles 9

Re: Startup time

They fixed the startup in the 2.10 cycle by making font loading asynchronous, so it doesn't have to wait for all the fonts to be loaded to continue startup.

13. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Headmaster

Common to all (capable) image editors

If it's any more powerful than MS paint, there is a huge learning curve. This is universal - it applies to Photoshop, PSP, GIMP, anything else.

If your favourite tool is 'easy', that's because you've already been through that curve with it. I decided to give GIMP a good try a few years ago and haven't looked back since. OK, it has it's quirks (why do I have to export to a jpg when I opened a jpg??) but as with all tools, you get used to the quirks.

14. Dave Rickmers

Gnu yadda

15. i1ya

Fellow commenters already bashed GIMP - kudos to them

...still can't resist myself.

GIMP is good for occasional image resizing or cropping, maybe even for applying some filters, but it royally sucks for non-destructive editing. Layer effects? Nah, who needs them. Ability to lock mask position while moving the layer content within it? That's for lazy Adobe fanbois. Who am I kidding, ability to preview layer during transformations, to do image editing, like, visualy, was added when GIMP celebrated it 20th anniversary. People who advocate GIMP must never have tried to use longer than 10 minutes.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I had time, energy, etc etc

I would create a "distro" of GIMP:

- reskinned UI (imagine running GIMP in "Photoshop mode"), so that transitioning was easier. I mean, it's twenty-freaking-eighteen and Excel still responds to the "/" key. You know, in case Rip Van Winkle wants to finally come over from Lotus 1-2-3.

- Bury the GIMP name. Yes it's logical. No it won't pass muster in (e.g.) sensitive American workplaces. Stupid? Perhaps. But not a hill worth dying on. Call it something fun, or functional, and move on.

1. Charles 9

Re: If I had time, energy, etc etc

"Yes it's logical. No it won't pass muster in (e.g.) sensitive American workplaces."

WHY won't it pass muster in American workplaces? I mean, people are so over-sensitive these days. The best way to defeat an epithet is to neuter it (or even better, turn it into a compliment, ie. "AND PROUD OF IT!"). I once heard a black comedian come up with a way to neuter the most common historical epithet directed at blacks: simply make an innocuous snack chip by that name. Then people will be using the name for that purpose so much the old meaning will fade into obscurity.

17. cutterman

PSP then and now

Been using JASC's PSP 6 for years - all 71MB of it - amazing what they packed in there - masks, adjustment layers, the whole megillah. Quick and (reasonably) intuitive.

GIMP too, all 967MB of it - quirky, hard to learn to use but extremely powerful. Too powerful for me except for special occasions.

Got myself Corel's PSP2019 the other day - just curious - all 1.5GB of it if you include all the weird effects that I'll never use. Can still see traces of the original PSP in the main executable - much the same as PSP6 but just harder to use with that over-complicated smorgasbord of a UI. I bet most of the original JASC code is still in there!

So what do I do when I just want to put a vector overlay on an image, blend in a highlight or use a gradient mask? Why, PSP6 of course!

Funny old world.

(Wish I could find a copy of JASC's final version of PSP, before Corel fouled it up)

Mac

18. Taking

gimp (place image) ???? help to get full version gimp

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the GIMP that you click PLACE to put an image down and put it on the photoeditor because every time I buy GIMP off ebay or use my copy now it opens up into this cheap tacky crap version which doesnt have place image so i cant move it around it is fixed

1. Charles 9

Re: gimp (place image) ???? help to get full version gimp

Assuming you're not a troll in disguise, you can always go straight to the source: to gimp.org.

19. chedan

Photosho & Gimp for photo editing

Photoshop do have things like non-destructive editing (layer effects, adjustment layers, smart filters), file layers, LAB/CMYK support. GIMP has none of those. That's why people go for Photoshop over GIMP.

but Gimp is free and I don't need anything better.

I use XP-Pen Star 06 ( https://www.xp-pen.com/product/49.html ) from 2017 or so at work. Both work nicely with GIMP on both Linux and Windows.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon