nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Cops suspect Detroit fuel station was hacked before 10 drivers made off with 2.3k 'free' litres

Silver badge

"10 cars at 10-20 gallons as a diversion, and one large tanker out back with a pump and a hose into the underground tank?"

That plus the maybe exaggerated price smacks of an over-optimistic insurance claim.

Silver badge

"That plus the maybe exaggerated price smacks of an over-optimistic insurance claim."

Like how the police claims $600 drug bust turns into $60,000

It's federal law in the US

29 CFR 1917.156 - Fuel handling and storage

(a)Liquid fuel.

(8) Liquid fuel dispensing devices shall be provided with an easily accessible and clearly identified shut-off device, such as a switch or circuit breaker, to shut off the power in an emergency.

Silver badge

Bah!

2.7 K << 3 K.

I've told you lot a million times not to exaggerate.

Anonymous Coward

I don't think so

If only ten vehicles stole 600 gallons of fuel then they must have had special fuel tanks as most cars normally don't have larger than 20 gallon fuel tanks these days.

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: I don't think so

Or, I dunno, jerry cans.

C.

Silver badge

Re: jerry cans

If those specific ten cars all showed up one after the other at the same pump with a half dozen jerry cans - they're gonna have to have some seriously l33t 'splaining skillz to convince the plods that it was all sheer coincidence.

Silver badge

Re: jerry cans

seriously l33t 'splaining skillz

lolz , is there a course you can do for that?

Silver badge

Ok does any here think that the gas attendant was just to high to figure out how to turn the pumps off ??

Silver badge

Maybe it was a busy day and it took him nine cars to notice ?

Okay, I'm going out on a limb, I know, but if it's rush hour and there's not a colleague to count on, it's conceivable.

And if the miscreants wanted to maximize the haul, they'd obviously hit when activity is high.

Silver badge

Pascal, it's not like you to not RTFA ... it clearly says 1PM. That's the beginning of the post-lunch slowdown at most petrol/gas stations.

Anonymous Coward

Is 60 gallons enough to travel coast to coast in the US ( assuming not averaging 90+ mph ) ? Must be close.

Silver badge

Figure it out for yourself.

San Francisco, CA to New York, NY[0] ... 2900 miles, give or take a couple. Can your personal transport get a trifle over 48 MPG, sustained? If so, the answer is yes. Assuming you don't hit roadwork, weather, or traffic along I-80, that is. Which is unlikely.

[0] Git a rope ...

Silver badge

Re: Figure it out for yourself.

we have cars over here in Europe that get double that mpg - you could cross the country and back again!

mine isnt one of them :(

Silver badge

> "San Francisco, CA to New York, NY[0] ... 2900 miles, give or take a couple. "

There is a race called the '2904' that traces back to the Cannonball Run.

As for fuel prices, the local station is posted at $4.10/gallon (well, $4.099). And our electric rate is $0.48/KWh (dropping to about $0.12 after 11pm). Don't image that energy cost in Europe is that much more expensive than California.

Silver badge

"Don't image that energy cost in Europe is that much more expensive than California."

It may not be. But the tax is a killer...

Bronze badge

UK Average is about £0.1437/KWh + standing charge for elec

on eco7 (cheap night rate) £0.17/KWh peak and £0.08 off-peak

for Diesel £1.314/l

for Unleaded £1.282/l

so we do quite well for elec, but fuel is a rip-off

Anonymous Coward

Inside job?

Years ago I had a 'mate' on the inside.

A nod and a wink from the pump.

Free fuel and oil.

* No idea if he's 'inside' now.

Critical National Infrastructure vulnerability

Another article on the Register indicates that some malware has been designed to be backwards compatible with Windows XP. I wonder what OS those pumps are running? In the UK some years ago, fuel delivery drivers went on strike, and fuel depots were picketed. It was a national emergency and people were running our of petrol. Imagine what would happen if a hostile foreign power decided to stop all the petrol pumps working.

Silver badge

Re: Critical National Infrastructure vulnerability

It was a national emergency and people were running our of petrol.

The petrol station attendants were surprisingly accommodating of motorcycles. Just as well too. More than once they let me past the cordon to top up.

Anonymous Coward

Because who needs Fuel POS Online

https://www.shodan.io/search?query=Fuel-POS

Oh these guys :facepalm:

Fame at last!

Though this comment will languish at the bottom forever...

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Fame at last!

nope!

Bronze badge
Trollface

Couldn't stop them?

Did he not have a cone?

Re: Couldn't stop them?

According to other commentards above, he may have had too many cones*.

* I have found out recently that cones in the context I mean doesn't always translate that well, in this case I mean hits from a bong, or smoking a small bowl of marijuana through a water pipe. Other styles of getting high are available.

Any British people here complaining about petrol taxes have the solution in their own hands: vote Conservative and they promise to slash all taxes.

Silver badge

Forgetting for a moment thats basically impossible,

Politicians and "promises" have not had a great track record ...

Although they did promise to tear the country out of europe as a joke to look electable .. and they seem to be following through with that....

Anonymous Coward

Supermarket petrol isn't cheap

In my case (3 litre petrol Volvo) I consistently get 15% worse fuel consumption on Asda petrol than on the stuff from the Esso station next door. I've had the car for 16 years & do occasionally try the test again but the result always stays the same. Makes less difference to our 1996 2.0 Golf but still noticeable. I suspect that it's down to the compression ratio of your engine, or max boost pressure if turbocharged. On a little shopping car with a low performance engine ymmv (literally.)

A former colleague who went on to work in engine R&D cites Morrisons petrol as being "watery pi** with minimal calorific value" & noticeably worse than other supermarket offerings, all of which were worse than any of the "proper" petrol companies. They got the most power & most consistent results from Shell & BP.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing