back to article Have to use SMB 1.0? Windows 10 April 2018 Update says NO

The Windows 10 April 2018 Update has been out for over a month now, and the rumbling of user dissatisfaction continues. This time it's networking problems for users still clinging to the venerable SMB1 protocol. Users have taken to support forums, including Microsoft's own, complaining that the latest version of Windows 10 is …

Page:

1. Joe Montana

Why?

What exactly is wrong with smbv1 thats fixed in newer versions?

I still use NFS, sometimes NFSv2 or v3 depending on the use case - i'm aware it lacks security features present in newer versions, but in many cases those features are not necessary. I have a readonly share full of videos and music for instance which is shared by multiple clients in my house, including linux based media centre boxes. I don't care if someone gains access to that data, and i'm not aware of any vulnerabilities in the server software itself.

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: Why?

>I still use NFS, sometimes NFSv2 or v3 depending on the use case - i'm aware it lacks security features present in newer versions<

SMB2 is not more secure by design than SMB1. The security angle is that SMB1 servers are out of support.

At Win2K, SMB1 was transitioned to TCP, and encryption was added on top. As a result, network latency became much worse (packet delays and handshaking). SMB2 was introduced to try to recapture some of the lost performance capability. By reducing the number of protocol transactions required, the effect of waiting for packet consolidation and encryption transactions is reduced.

You can, I presume, get an even better latency by using SMB2 and /also/ turning off encryption and using "NBF" (what wikipedia calls NetBEUI). You're welcome to try it :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

replacing it with something like Avast, though that approach can bring problems of its own.

The understatement of the year!

3. Dave 15

if that was the only thing that was bolloxed in this update

My wifes business has been bought to its knees because post update the machines she relies on no longer work reliably. 10 minutes and then a complaint, a reboot, another 5 or 10 minutes and another complaint (not always the same one) and another reboot, sometimes two or three on the trot, sometimes 20 minutes. Some comments on forums saying to update device drivers and so on... but I have had enough, the wife is going to have to swap to linux, Microsoft have finally managed to fuck one of their previous employees off so much that even I am ditching them after being with them since DOS

4. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Nope. I've thought about it long and hard, but I can't think of a good reason to run SMB 1.0

5. Gordon861

Network Shares

Is this why a bunch of my Network Shares have stopped working?

6. Sil

Reasonable

It seems quite reasonable to disable an outdated and vulnerable network protocol when alternatives have been provided for years (newer SMB versions). It protects the immense majority of users of a class of vulnerabilities.

However, as Microsoft gets a lot of telemetry data from Windows 10 PCs, it should have seen that a few of its customers insisted on using SMB 1, and hence written a warning on the release notes of the latest Windows 10 update informing them of the plan, and perhaps offer a workaround.

7. jcddude

Yeah, but...

Unfortunately, we are stuck supporting an old FoxPro app. Running the app requires turning off Opportunistic Locking, which requires SMB1.

1. James Turner

Re: Yeah, but...

That's not entirely true. https://twitter.com/NerdPyle/status/876880390866190336 states there is an option you can set in recent builds of Windows 10/Server 2016 to have SMB2/3 without OpLocks.

8. pwingert

I have an old Seagate 4-bay NAS (Actually a LaCie NAS in disguise) and since the first update in September have not been able to SMB connect to my NAS. I can connect by typing the IP address i and get logged into the administrative console. But the problem is the version of linux that this machine is using only know about SMB 1.0 and it been ages sicne Seagate updated this piece of hardware. So my only option is to get a new NAS and copy everything over to it and abandon this reliable piece of hardware.

9. pwingert

I have an old Seagate 4-bay NAS (Actually a LaCie NAS in disguise) and since the first update in September have not been able to SMB connect to my NAS. I can connect by typing the IP address i and get logged into the administrative console. But the problem is the version of linux that this machine is using only know about SMB 1.0 and it been ages sicne Seagate updated this piece of hardware. So my only option is to get a new NAS and copy everything over to it and abandon this reliable piece of hardware

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like