back to article Time to ditch the front door key? Nest's new wireless smart lock is surprisingly convenient

It's something we all do when we get home: rummage around in your pockets or bag, find your keys, identify the one you want and then stick it in your front door to gain access. If you are one of the roughly 28 per cent of households that have a security system, you then need to go punch in a code to turn the alarm off. It's …

Page:

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

did you notify your Home Insurance Provider?

If you didn't then you should not be surprised to hear them say

"Sorry, you are not covered."

I'd be very surprised if this lock meets the relevant standards for use in UK properties. That is more often than not a requirement for getting insurance.

Oh, and don't forget to wipe down the keypad after use because thieves can easily see what numbers are used. Far fewer combinations to try then even if they just get one or two numbers.

anyway, as this uses Iot and even worse Google's IoT then what happens when Google fail to take over the market in door locks and decide to kill the whole kit and caboodle? It would not be the first time they have killed a product line after 1-2 years.

You are left high and dry.

sorry, not going to bite. Keep on trying though. IT makes for nice reading at the weekend.

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

Re: did you notify your Home Insurance Provider?

I had a client move into a shared office building for a couple of months, I advised the building owners to clean the pad.

4 numbers clearly dirty, 1 and 9 were part of them.

So by most people's normal choice of a date there were 2 combinations that would open the doors.

2. MartinCat

Re: did you notify your Home Insurance Provider?

My UK insurer insisted on a 7 lever mortice deadlock with a box striker AND a Yale-type for my new wooden front door. Well, they didn’t “insist” exactly - it’s just the premium would have gone up by more than it cost to get a locksmith to fit them.

2. Ben Tasker

> You can either press the Yale button at the top, or leave it to lock itself. If, for whatever reason, it doesn't lock, it lets you know immediately with big yellow warnings on your phone and an LED on the lock.

That LED, I hope, is on the inside right? Otherwise, your lock is sat there telling anyone passing that it failed to lock after you drove off because you were running late.

> If you are a paranoid or security-conscious person you will have already decided that the idea of a smart lock is a horrible, terrible thing.

I'm not convinced it's a sign of paranoia to point out the flaws with these things. The write-up focuses primarily on usability, and it's seldom the usability that draws the criticism.

> The Nest+Yale lock uses Google's Thread IoT protocol to communicate with its Connect bridge – or its Secure home station if you have that. This is a smart move as it puts a buffer between the lock and the internet. It's going to make hacking the door to open a much harder affair.

Or, potentially, has just increased your attack surface.

Not having it talk directly to the internet is a good move (and one I wish more would follow), but it alone doesn't automatically mean you're now much safer. The bridge/home station is now part of your attack surface, and it might still be possible (somehow) to convince the lock to communicate with the wider world. You could actually be worse off, especially in the wider market where certain manufacturers may well think "it's never going to talk directly to the internet, so don't put any effort/expense into fixing that bug"

It's good the lock works for the author, but they're definitely not for me and likely never will be. There are just too many issues that need to be addressed in the wider world of IoT. One of those issues - manufacturers actually supporting their kit for prolonged periods - is addressable, but is just the very first stage.

Even without that, I'd much rather a multi-point lock.

3. Christoph

Drilling Brass

Using Brass to prevent drilling? How does that help? Drilling Brass is slightly more tricky than steel but with the right drill and the right technique it's perfectly straightforward - I've seen it done in the engineering factory I worked at years ago. Don't try it with a normal drill though, it will jam.

You chamfer the leading edge of the drill so it's a blunt chisel rather than a sharp edge. This breaks off the brass in small chunks rather than the spiral swarf you get with steel, so you have to keep withdrawing the drill to clear those chunks. Then it just works.

You'd presumably need to swap out the drill when you hit a different material so it makes it a bit more slow and tricky, but surely not massively so?

1. Chris G

Re: Drilling Brass

A nitride coated drill bit of around 8mm on the slow setting of a decent cordless drill will go through any brass and steel cored lock that I have met so far, the little springs that drive the tumblers on a Eurolock will pause it for a moment but that's all. I work with a maintenance team and lost keys/jammed locks are common enough in a fair sized company with some older properties, most are easy to get through.

Oddly, if you turn up at a door in a workman like fashion and start drilling the lock out, even in a public place, no one gives you a second glance.

The only time I have been questioned was in my early twenties on a Sunday morning trying the keys from a big bunch on a bank door, a panda car stopped and asked me facetiously if I needed help.

We had a painting and decorating contract with the bank and often had keys, getting into any bank is relatively easy, getting into the vault, a little harder, not difficult in an engineering sense but definitely takes more time, plus the alarms have been quite sophisticated for decades.

One the things that should be a no on this nest thing is the option to automatically switch off the alarm when keying the lock, having to go in and disable the alarm is like two factor authentication, more secure and safer.

This is yet another fix for stuff that is unbroken.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Don't try it with a normal drill though, it will jam."

Isn't that the point though? What burglar is going to go equipped for a job that's going to take longer that usual? As others have pointed out above, the vast majority of burglaries are opportunistic, eg unlocked doors, open windows etc. I wonder if there are any stats on the type of break-ins? Just how many burglars go equipped with a drill at all, never mind one for drilling brass. This feels like we are heading into the realms of pro burglars who will be after much more valuable takings than in the average house.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

A nitride-coated ("Gold") drill bit is now normal.

You can buy a pack of 50 for £30. They aren't great but they are good enough.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

It's trivial to modify a normal twist drill to handle brass, so I'm surprised that brass is considered to be a viable extra layer of security.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know a couple of people who have had the burglars in - in both cases access was by removing a window.

5. Muscleguy
    Devil

Um, our doors have multipoint locking. You lift the handle and multiple prongs, effectively round steel deadlocks, all round the door slot into the metal around the inside of the door frame. The whole thing is steel. I've been into the one on the back door because whoever installed it aligned all the bolts to the very top of the slots and wood moves with the seasons. I have moved the strike plates up and down by drilling new screw holes for them. I have even had that door off, it is HEAVY.

Watch the police reality shows or the news. When the police are faced with a new multipoint locking door they don't even try to bust the lock, they use the ram to take out the middle panels instead. They are the only weak point of such doors.

How is Nest going to effect that? are its servos strong enough? My wife isn't always, it sometimes needs an extra shove before the key will turn.

So, to install a Nest door lock I must downgrade my door's physical security. No thanks. The window salesman made a point of noting that their sealed units are under pressure from the gas inside. If they get broken it sounds like a gunshot. They are multi point locked in the sashes too. They are insurance rated when locked into the partly open position.

Burglaries have and are going down because homes are becoming impregnable unless you leave a window open for an opportunist thief. That is why muggings and grabbing stuff from the backs of scooters are going up. We are no longer so vulnerable in our homes so the yoof have to target us on the hoof instead of burgling us.

1. TonyHoyle

It's clear from the information shown so far that these IOT locks aren't compatible at all with multipoint lock systems. Which means to install one you'd basically have to replace the door - to get worse security.

2. Chris G

@Muscleguy.

I have recently installed new front and back doors on my house, a while before I bought it, it had squatters in there. I bought steel doors that come with the frame in a two panel Georgian style, the locks are 5 point with 3 security hinges that have lugs protruding into the frame when the door is closed, the inside of the door is foam filled but has welded connectors throughout the inner structure. When I fitted the frames I used frame fixings that go 15cm into the wall so to get past my doors requires destroying the walls. My windows all have bars on them too (Standard for Spanish country houses), there is always an accessible key close to each door from the inside to allow rapid exit in the case of fire. I can't imagine any IoT device that will make me feel better than the secure system I have.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Burglaries have and are going down because homes are becoming impregnable [...]"

Things inside houses that are relatively portable are no longer worth an opportunist thief stealing for a quick sale. In the past TV, hi-fi, and video recorders were relatively profitable. Nowadays they are so cheap to buy new that they have become disposable commodities. Expensive TVs tend to be rather larger than even a car would accommodate.

6. Muscleguy

Oh and how is all this powered? batteries by any chance? When the little 12V battery in our doorbell died the doorbell wouldn't ring. No biggy, you could always knock. But what if the Nest runs out of battery? While you are away on holiday for eg so you can't respond to the notification?

We're off to NZ for our youngest's wedding next week. I have no worries that our keys won't work while we are away.

Our old door, Yale lock and deadbolt forced me to break in once. I walked out the door and closed it before realising I didn't have a key with me. A case of the wrong trousers. My wife was working away.

I only had to trigger the Yale bolt. So, I did have access to my garage workshop. Hammer, chisel, card scraper. Chisel moved the wooden strip protecting the door and the card scraper (hard thin metal plate) was slid into the gap by the Yale bolt and tapped with the hammer until it slid past the bolt and I was in. Note a credit card was not strong enough. Don't keep your locks really well greased.

Our new mutlipoint locking front door has one key and you cannot lock it without the key so I can walk out the door without worrying about it locking behind me. A key with a 1Fr coin for a fob sits on the inside to enable locking at night and easy and quick egress in the event of fire.

1. Ben Tasker

In previous houses where we've had a Yale, I've found that even that level of effort hasn't been necessary when I locked myself out.

Find long stick and push it through the letter box, getting your arm as far through as possible, then manouevre to find and operate the release on the inside. Obviously much easier if you've got glass in or near the door so you can see, but perfectly possible without too.

Much prefer a good multi-point system, though you do have to break into the habit of remembering to actually lock it. That said, a family member has one where locking is simply a case of pulling the handle up. Seems like the worst of both worlds to me, as you can trivially lock yourself out without a key, or in fact, lock yourself in without a key. Some might view having to put a key in the lock and turn it as an inconvenience, personally I see it as a good sanity check to make sure you've actually got the means to re-enter when leaving

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A neighbour locked herself out one day. After a few experiments I was surprised how quickly I could depress the inside handle by manipulating a wire coat hanger and a walking stick through the letterbox. Just a matter of seconds.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"A key with a 1Fr coin for a fob sits on the inside to enable locking at night and easy and quick egress in the event of fire."

Some burglars come equipped to fish through the letter box to pick up nearby keys.

7. Pen-y-gors

High security?

Setting aside the usual 'elephant in the room' of really secure doors (the glass in the windows) I do have to question the basic premise. If you live somewhere where you are worried about the likelihood of people kicking in the front door, or drilling out the lock and stealing your valuables, or you are in the 28% who have home alarm systems, I have two suggestions. 1) Move or 2) don't bother with any valuables

Okay, I'm lucky. I don't have anything worth stealing and I live in the impoverished wilds of rural Wales, but what sort of life is it when you feel you have to live in a high-security prison, albeit one where you have a key?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: High security?

Apparently you've got a computer so I presume it's a rubbish one. A burglar wouldn't know that it is rubbish though. Until I pointed it out. Obviously lbhef vf gur ubhfr jvgu ryrpgevpvgl

1. Pen-y-gors

Actually I communicate on-line by sending messages by semaphore to a mate on the next hill who types them in for me (hat tip to Owain y We - diolch boi!) .

I did think of that the value of computers, but to be honest I don't think the resale value of most computers and monitors, particularly 'hot' ones is particularly high these days. A new one suitable for most people is a few hundred quid. Hardly worth the hassle and risk to get £50 down the pub or the pawn-shop. A bad person has to do a lot of work to remove any identifying data and marks. I think upmarket phones are a better bet.

And totally off-topic, but the comment about a burglar not knowing it was rubbish. A mate used to work in IT for the Met plods quite a few years ago and had to go on raids with them to point out which things were computers, and floppy disks etc and actually needed to be seized and which things were adding machines and tills (old-style) which could be safely ignored.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Apparently you've got a computer...

Just an Android phone I bet; and when his house was done over, the burglars left a second one behind.

2. Charles 9

"Setting aside the usual 'elephant in the room' of really secure doors (the glass in the windows)"

Which itself sets aside the usual solution for places where the windows are targeted (burglar bars set into studs or concrete--the only quick solution would, like those doors, be VERY destructive)...

8. Michael Kean

Solar?

I'm surprised they don't include a solar panel on the outdoor component. If the AA batteries can last six months in standard use, I would think a LiPo battery, trickle charged by the panel during the day, could provide a significantly longer life in some situations.

9. Chairman of the Bored

Wonder how well it stands up to cold chisels

Had a safe problem once with a very similar looking lock. Locking mechanism itself had failed so the electronics and mech backup were not a good attack surface.

Locksmith returns with a hardened steel rod, 1/2in dia, a 2in wide cold chisel, a 16lb sledge hammer and very large assistant. Shot one was with the cold chisel very nearly tangent to the front surface of the safe... Lock goes flying across the room. Second and third blows with rod to guts of lock mechanism proper modified it to the point where hand tools did the job of moving the mechanism. 5 minutes versus a $400-$500 lock.

Mines the one with the nice deadbolt, right next to a floor to ceiling set of stained glass sidelights. Both at the insistence of the wife...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My place already does all that.

The door opens for me every time I approach, the thermostadt is adjusted to the proper temperature so the home is a comfy bliss when I enter, & I never have to worry about forgetting my keys...

But then I'm filthy stinking rich & employ a butler. /Sarcasm

I'll get my coat, it's the one with the delusions of grandeur in the pockets...

11. JulieM Silver badge

Even Easier Solution

Come home with rucksack and 2 hand bags of shopping. Open door (which was never locked In the first place). Deposit shopping.

As long as there is an actual slot for a key, and it isn't flapping open, people are going to assume a door is locked.

Plus, anyone entering my home is going to think I've already been burgled anyway .....

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Even Easier Solution

Those up to no good tend to quietly drive up the street in their van and walk purposefully up to each front door holding a cardboard box, and try the door.

If it doesn't open, they try next door. And next door.

If it does, they go in and make their "delivery".

12. Lee D Silver badge

If keys are a problem, buy an electronic door lock.

RFID/Mifare fobs are dirt-cheap nowadays.

The real problem is - house insurance. If you are broken into, you have to show that they forced entry. If your lock can be opened without showing signs of forced entry, your house insurance won't cover you. Even if it did, they require it to be up to a stated British Standard.

If you're prepared for your house insurance to be invalid (or do without entirely), sure, change your locks. It's really easy. But not for some cloud-connected shite. GSM-controlled and RFID-controlled locks are everywhere in business, they are bog-standard access control items. They also do everything this thing could possibly do, without all the hassle and expense.

And then if you want all that stupid integration stuff (When lock opens, alarm turns off? Really?), you can easily get a home controller that does that. But I wouldn't touch Nest for it.

13. Davidcrockett

Whilst this all sounds marvelous I can't help thinking it's just another thing to worry about. A conventional lock needs next to no attention to use it. Whilst temporary access codes and all that sound useful I suspect the chances of it going wrong, batteries going flat, company ceasing to support it, etc are orders of magnitude more likely to happen than my cleaner sneaking back in and ransacking the house.

14. mark l 2 Silver badge

One concern i would have with these locks, which you don't get with traditional key locks is someone watching you enter your pin and then coming back at a later date to enter your property. no breaking in needed and would possibly mean no payout from the insurance company.

I can see in some situations where it would be useful, as the author mentioned if you have an short term rental property such as Airbnb this would make things easier no worries about keys being lost etc.

I would have thought a mini USB style connector would be better for battery boosting in the event the internal batteries are dead. You could use a mobile phone style battery bank or even your phone with the correct cable.

I recently swapped out the euro cylinder on my doors for 3 star ones, after a series of break-in in my area where burglars would snap the cylinder and this would enable them to unlock a multi-point locking door with just a hammer and some pliers.

Thought it might be a locksmith job but its really easy and took me about 10 mins and 15 quid per door.

1. Pen-y-gors

Rental properties

It's not even much use for rental properties. Many cottages or flats I've rented in recent years just have a keysafe on the wall nearby, with a combination and a set of keys in. Change combi after each guest. Okay, trust them bot to cut a spare set!

1. Charles 9

Re: Rental properties

If you're that concerned, get a lock cylinder which you can rekey by yourself. That way, you can just change the keyset after each tenant. Even IF they copy the key, it won't work anymore.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IoT - Just a patch or hack anyway from finding an open front door

IoT firms have shot themselves in the foot too many times before.

16. Spartacus Mills

if this takes off then the same people who currently spend half their lives looking for misplaced keys will be the same ones who manage to continually mess up by forgetting codes/losing phone/internet etc.

17. Swiss Anton

... front door key off the bunch of keys ...

When I read "... front door key off the bunch of keys ...", I remembered I still had the key for the front door of my late mother's house on my key ring. I don't need it anymore as we've just sold the house. It was a somewhat poignant moment taking the key off my key ring.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

9V, not 7V

Perhaps 7-volt is a typo? The Nest website says that a standard 9V battery can be used to temporarily power the door lock.

https://nest.com/ca/support/article/How-to-lock-and-unlock-the-Nest-Yale-Lock-if-the-battery-is-drained

"If you need, you can use a 9 Volt battery to temporarily charge the lock, so you can enter your passcode on the lock’s keypad to lock or unlock it."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 9V, not 7V

"Perhaps 7-volt is a typo? The Nest website says that a standard 9V battery can be used to temporarily power the door lock."

A nominal 9v PP3 alkaline battery can usually still deliver 7v after being on the shelf for quite a while. A typical rechargeable NiMh PP3 will often only have six cells - delivering 7.2v maximum.

In my experience most people are lacking even the most basic electric theory. They do not understand the difference in the spec of the batteries they buy. Often they go for lowest price of the appropriate labelled type like "PP3". It is not unusual for neighbours' kids to bring me their R/C cars to fix - and they have a mixture of different technology and capacity "AA" batteries in them.

19. Skizz

Surprised...

...there isn't a version with the lock/keypad in the door frame - can have more than one bolt, harder to drill, can be run off the mains with battery backup, no big lump on the door. OK, harder to install I grant you that. I presume the bolt is attached to a solenoid of sorts, so have multiple bolts.

I'll take royalties on that idea thank-you-very-much!

Dave

20. AKemwave

The Lock Must Handshake with Google?

Besides all the other problems previously mentioned, what happens when your ISP is down, or in other words telecommunications is no longer available? I need a good new home security and lock system. But nope. Even if it is something as good as 99.999 % of the time, what back in telephone engineering days was called the 5 nine's, if other links in the chain do not meet your standards, you can expect to be locked out.

21. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Time to ditch the front door key?

Not for anything that uses wireless only. I've frequently needed actual key & lock on car, yet battery was fine on fob & car. Also look at Rav4 and other car electronic locks.

Not for anything that connects to Internet.

Not for anything owned by Alphabet/Google.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Otherwise

Or, you could use my solution. Live in the country were you don't have to leave your house locked. I've lived in my present address for 30 years plus, and for most of the time the door has been unlocked. AC for obvious reasons

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It's going to take a pro to get past it"

Is the author SERIOUSLY that naive?

All its going to take is ONE PERSON to figure out where to drill it, and then everyone else just needs Google.

And only a moron would have a "smart" lock as the only way into their house. What's wrong with leaving a traditional lock on a back/side/garage door, so you have a way in if something goes wrong with it? I sure hope no one is dumb enough to believe that a smart lock improves their security. It improves their convenience only.

I'm going to laugh when in a few years people start having their house robbed due to a security issue with a no longer supported smart lock, and insurance companies deny those claims because they failed to properly secure their house.

1. Ben Tasker

Re: "It's going to take a pro to get past it"

> I'm going to laugh when in a few years people start having their house robbed due to a security issue with a no longer supported smart lock, and insurance companies deny those claims because they failed to properly secure their house.

Not to mention that there may potentially be a lawsuit against Google pointing out that the information the intruder needed was the top result in a Google Search, and that Google therefore helped the intruder defeat Google's security product.

24. Thomas Martin

So what happens if you kick off the touch pad or otherwise dislodge or remove it? What does it expose? Something a wrench/spanner can manipulate? Something a screwdriver can turn? If someone wants to get in to your house, they can and this lock will not stop them nor possibly even slow them down.

Oh and most burglars don't come in the front door. Most likely they would use the other door, one they can drill or kick in as well. :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can't they just do that with an ordinary mechanical setup, though? Even if collared, a few minutes with a cat's paw should expose enough innards to wrench off the cylinder and work at the mechanism directly.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sure it's great, like their thermostat..

..that's "automatically learned" to put my heating on for 14hrs per day :-\

It's only had two months to learn our comings/goings/preferences.

Turned that crap off and manually set the schedule. What a load of poop!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think we're overlooking the basic function of a door lock. It isnt designed to be unpickable or uncrackable. A door lock is supposed to be a simple deterrent. If someone wants in they can just cut a window and let themselves in.

Case in point : Someone a couple of years ago thought it would be funny to call the police and tell them i was dead...

Cue the police turning up with a ram, after that failed on my 5 way locked, metal imbedded door, they jemmied the window of its hinge and climbed in that way.

People are always reinventing the wheel, and right now a security door with 5 or 7 way locking is a much better investment than any lock. So not for me thanks.

Anonymous because i dont want people tracking my house down

1. Charles 9

What would've happened if they turned up a place with your door setup AND burglar bars?

27. RogerT

House insurance

I've just been looking at the T&Cs in my home insurance and I'm pretty sure this lock would not comply with the specification of locks that I'm required to use.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon