nav search
Data Center Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Farts away! Plane makes unscheduled stop after man won't stop guffing

Anonymous Coward

Re: How is this relevant?

Bugger off!

To some of us, tales of toilets and farting are meat and drink.

Silver badge

New here?

Happy

We often talk sh*t here, didn't you know ...

Silver badge

Bootnotes this is. Now get off my airplane.

It's about the story of farts. You fart, don't you?

Silver badge
Windows

"... tales of toilets and farting are meat and drink."

It certainly sounds like it was a bit chewy.

Anonymous Coward

Low pressure cabin...

I used to work to a Nuclear Power Plant, that uses low pressure inside the nuclear buildings to keep the (probably) radioactive dust inside it.

It is accomplished through differential (negative) pressure in the HVAC system, like an OR or the CDC would do. This is just a few tenths of millibar of atmospheric pressure differential, but enough to cause the desired effect of avoiding external contamination. Some doors even have pressure relief valves and hinged lever "crowbars" soldered to the door frames to open them, should the system enter in panic mode and add LOTS more of pressure to system.

(We once did the math, and very few millibars would result in 50kgf of force applied on a door. "Smaller" workers had to actually use the crowbars to break the pressure seal...)

As a byproduct, any gasses... ahem... dissolved... on the personnel would leave them, far more often than outside.

Perhaps the boarding rooms on the airports could have a few millibars of differential ambient pressure subtracted from them. It would cause two things:

a) People would be acclimated to low pressure cabins far faster and;

b) People with a lot of dissolved gasses in their system would get rid of them before getting on board.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Low pressure cabin...

> We once did the math, and very few millibars would result in 50kgf of force applied on a door.

Yep. Same system is used on airliners to keep the doors shut. With as much as half a bar or more pressure differential, nobody is getting out¹ mid-flight in a hurry.

¹ Or in, which would be more worrying.

Orv
Silver badge

Re: Low pressure cabin...

Reminds me that I once had a makeshift server room in a building with no A/C. To cope with heat the rack had a massive ARU mounted on it, with three centrifugal blowers, that sucked hot air out the back of the rack and dumped it outside via a couple of 8" flexible ducts. For make-up air there was a frame in an adjacent window that held a couple of pleated furnace filters. The building had steam heat, so there were no other ventilation openings. The result was I could tell when the filters were getting clogged by how much force it took to open the door.

Anonymous Coward

The French have a saying ...

... that it's better to fart in company than to die all alone. (Mieux vaut péter en société que de mourir tout seul.) Maybe this incident will cause them to reconsider the universality of its wisdom.

But seriously, unless there was only one head on board or the offending passenger was physically incapable of sitting on a crapper for most of the flight, this wasn't a difficult problem to solve. The captain presumably has the authority to order a passenger with uncontrollable diarrhea or vomiting confined to the can. I don't see why that shouldn't extend to a non-stop farter as well.

Silver badge

Re: The French have a saying ...

Confine the poor old fart to the toilet? He was doing everybody a favour:

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-smelling-farts-could-save-your-life/

If this had been Ryanair, the other passengers would have had a surcharge for health benefits.

Anonymous Coward

A rhyme

A fart is such a little thing,

It gives the body ease,

Warms the bed in winter,

And suffocated the fleas.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

But the man failed to hold it in

two particularly incensed passengers took matters into their own hands.

Stop! Stop! It's an idiom! Don't take his fart into your own hands!

Anonymous Coward

Re: But the man failed to hold it in

Don't take his fart into your own hands!

Well they'd already taken it into their mouths, noses and lungs, so getting it all over their hands is surely insignificant. Of course, if bad enough to cause a fight, then presumably it was one of those ones that you can taste, and burn the back of your throat. Even if involuntary, wouldn't that count as assault?

Imagine the horror of other passengers when they stopped in Vienna and then the plane took off with the farter still on board.

Joke

Just pipe the gas to the engines. End of problem.

Bronze badge
Happy

@onefang

Farts and engines. Perpetual motion?

Anonymous Coward

Flatulence turbulance disturbance

Maybe a Dutch man could have put his finger in it?

I didn't know it was illegal to fart on planes or I would have had someone removed on every flight I've ever been on!!! Farts away!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing