nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Beer hall putz: Regulator slaps northern pub over Nazi-themed ad

Silver badge

Re: The problem here is bigger than one pub...

The rest of Europe (you know, the bits that actually had to live under Nazi rule for four years) have long since let bygones be bygones

You haven't travelled much, have you?

Silver badge

The war didn't end with the armistice. In the 1960s the Nazis were still killing Brits with butterfly bombs.

So the Nazi party was still a thing and the Luftwaffe were flying over the UK dropping butterfly bombs in the 1960s*?

* Or, as Wikipedia would have it, 27th of November 1956 at the very latest.

Pirate

Speaking as a colonial boy (with not-inconsiderable ties to Blighty) who has spent the past 8 and some-odd years in Germany, I have to agree with you for the most part (European 'project' aside - that is a separate beer discussion).

This mindnumbingly inward obsession with "ze Nazis" and "how we beat the stuffing out of the Evil Huns" is somewhere around 50-60 years due for retirement. My experience of the Germans is that they are a pretty decent lot, with occasional scattered showers of rightwing idiots. My wife is German and loves Fawlty Towers - the episode in question causes no offence (if anything, it raises a good chuckle every time). What does cause offence is the grinding obsession that some seem to have with the tired cliche of "German = Nazi".

We speak a mixture of English and German (aka "Denglisch") and regularly pillory each other on matters linguistic. Not to mention "ze bat puns" .. (say that with obligtaory faux Hun accent).

Rant rave witter ... mürmel ...

Now, consider "Dinner for One" - an absolute staple every year around Christmas. Never in German, only ever in the original English. Some Nazis ...

Happily, I also lived in Blighty for six years or so, so know well that the idiot tendencies are not typical of most Blightians :-)

(Can I say "colonial boy" without offending? Just asking .... heh heh ...)

Silver badge

"So the Nazi party was still a thing and the Luftwaffe were flying over the UK dropping butterfly bombs in the 1960s*?"
They are your words, not mine. If you read the link you provide you will find that the most recent death from a WW2 butterfly bomb was in 1981. The most recent butterfly bomb find was "on 28 October 2009, by an 11-year-old boy in a secluded valley close to a heavily bombarded airfield." There's nothing quite so likely to focus attention on those who deployed such things as someone having their face and hands blown off.

Bronze badge

"If you read the link you provide you will find that the most recent death from a WW2 butterfly bomb was in 1981. The most recent butterfly bomb find was "on 28 October 2009, by an 11-year-old boy in a secluded valley close to a heavily bombarded airfield."

They are still finding huge bombs in German cities from WW2. People are killed regularly.

What is your point, that we are still at war?

@Anomalous Coward

Yes, I did.

1 - The rest of Europe has not 'moved on from the war'. When the Greeks tried to default on their debt there was a HUGE amount of 'Germans=Nazis' language in the Greek press. There is still plenty of it from the Poles too, and the Hungarians. I remember my trip to Budapest and talking to the locals you got the impression they still really had a problem with Nazis. The walls of the Jewish quarter still have the bullet holes in them. But by God did they hate the Soviets. They had no time for the Nazis but mention the Soviets and they were seriously angry.

2 - If you are of the right generation, Allo Allo-style comic Nazis might be EXACTLY the theme you would be looking for. Knockwursts, transvestite Gestapo officers, and lots of lovely Nazis.

3 - Well, with opinions like THAT about Brexit it's not surprising you're staying anonymous. Shameful but not even slightly shocking. But rather than abuse you let me offer you a friendly book recommendation which might open your eyes a little. It's called "The Road to Somewhere" and it's by David Goodhart. It might help you to stop treating everyone who voted for Brexit quite so awfully.

Silver badge

"They are still finding huge bombs in German cities from WW2. People are killed regularly.

What is your point, that we are still at war?"

Indeed; that is what the evidence would seem to suggest. Perhaps we need a slogan: "Modern warfare, the gift that keeps on giving".

Silver badge

Those two were in Malta, which is now independent.

Really difficult to understand where you're going with this if you don't explain.

Silver badge

Can I say "colonial boy" without offending?

Yeah - but which colony? The naughty one that kicked us out 250 years ago, the slightly-less-naughty one that beats us at sports[1] or one of the nice ones?

[1] Not exactly an exclusive club this.. depending on the sport of course.

Silver badge

" "Would you punch your ex in the face for a parmo*?" The ASA judged this advert was likely to be offensive for trivialising domestic violence."

Just a minor point, but since it's someone's ex, surely it's no longer domestic violence, and just plain old violence?

Silver badge
Go

Parmo

I thought once I moved away from Durham, I'd have to forgo the pleasure of a real parmo, until about a year ago I was in my local rubbishy pizza take away place in East London, and they do proper Middlesboro parmo!

Turned out, the guy grew up in Middlesboro before moving down to London, some local Mackems found out where he was from and insisted he put them on the menu. It's all posh like, he puts them on the menu as "Chicken Parmesan". Hah! Just found this review from a confused Italian on their website:

as italian i was expecting the parmesan chicken to be baked chicken in tomato and oregano sauce with some pasmesan cheese on top.. it was actually deepfried chicken with one kg of oily mozzarella on top. disappointed: the taste wasn't bad and the portion was really big, but way too much fat. the salad with dressing should have a separate dressing, usually oilive oil, vinegar, or lemon.. it was instead covered with burger sauce!

Proper parmo!

Silver badge

Re: Parmo

Lucky bastards. I can't even convince Lancashire chip shops to sell me chips and scraps.

( It leads to some funny looks if you ask a young / foreign person for them though )

Silver badge

"chips and scraps."

You mean wi'bits?

Silver badge

Yes, scraps / bits.

Some bollocks about health and safety rules. Though they still sell them in Yorkshire.

Silver badge
Childcatcher

Deep fried in proper beef dripping or nasty carcenogenerours veggie fat?

Enquiring minds etc ...

ps If he was really trying to be posh shirley it'd be pheasant not bloody chicken.

Bronze badge

I'll have to get that recipe

anyone seen kelly

the point that everyone seems to be missing is, the UK is being led by the nose by the PC gestapo rapidly towards an intolerant society, on the pretext that we are becoming a more tolerant country..

Silver badge

Re: anyone seen kelly

Odd that a you claim that a tolerant society would think German food night means the advertising should show someone dressed up as a saluting Nazi or would find advertising featuring domestic violence funny.

Disappointing ...

It disappointing that so many of you here can’t see the difference between a Nazi themed night and a German themed night. I thought you were better than that. It tends to prove the earlier comment that there are more Nazis here than in Germany nowadays. And yes, the brexiciders I spoke with before the referendum were all looking forward to getting rid of the “blacks”, not much mention of Poles etc.

And BTW none of the brexiciders picked up on the “more immigration from outside Europe” promises - because being in the EU “discriminated against non-European immigrants/workers”.

Re: Disappointing ...

"It tends to prove the earlier comment that there are more Nazis here than in Germany nowadays"

Not just nowadays perhaps? I've often thought that the revulsion we Brits express at the Nazi atrocities is really a kind of relief. We know it could just as easily have happened here.

I have a German friend of my own age who likes to be updated weekly on whether Kraut or Hun is the current term of reference.

Yes, plenty of Nazi here pre-war. I’ve always liked the description of Brits etc who fought Spain as “premature anti-fascists” ;-)

Anonymous Coward

"And BTW none of the brexiciders picked up on the “more immigration from outside Europe” promise"

Indeed - the then Tory minister Priti Patel campaigned for Leave by promising to replace EU immigrants with those more entitled by history from the Indian subcontinent. Future non-EU trade deals are already being signalled as having demands for the relaxing of the UK job market for nationals from places like Australia and India.

My relatives in BREXIT Stoke on Trent are long used to Polish and Ukrainian immigrants. Many stayed after the war and our school pals seemed no different from us - apart from strangely spelled names that were soon Anglicised. The returning army often brought back new wives from France, Holland, Belgium, and Germany.

Assimilation usually seems to be pretty complete after three generations. My Hindu friends who arrived as children in the Ugandan diaspora seem very English - as are their their children will probably marry outside their ethnic community.

What did seem to be a festering problem in Stoke in recent years was the feeling that the more recent immigrants from the Indian subcontinent were not integrating - forming their own tight-knit localities of different cultural practices.

Anonymous Coward

"I’ve always liked the description of Brits etc who fought Spain as “premature anti-fascists” "

Some British people went to fight for General Franco's insurgents (viz the fascists) trying to overthrow the legitimate government. One of the plot twists in Muriel Spark's "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" is that she was preaching to her crème de la crème that they should go and help General Franco. IIRC one girl did because she knew her brother was a volunteer there - but it turned out he was fighting against Franco.

Silver badge

Trivialising?

Heaven forbid the ASA should encounter any genuine wartime (I or II) cartoons.

Re: Trivialising?

Oh I don't know. See WW2 Jane cartoons, very educational to a young lad of the time.

Bronze badge

Hilarious

This thread went from zero to Godwin's law even before the first post.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Hilarious

IIRC Godwin's Law is not applicable when the article's subject is something to do with the Third Reich.

Silver badge
Joke

IIRC Godwin's Law is not applicable when the article's subject is something to do with the Third Reich.

For obvious reasons.

Bronze badge

This is about a British pub and there are plenty of references to Brits acting as Nazis. So I'll argue my point holds.

Bronze badge

No fighting this is ze pump room!

ASA, meet Streisand, quite fancy an @parmo and the ex always liked a bit of slap and tickle. #minesasteinbitte

Anonymous Coward

If I want Nazi-Themed ads

I'd just read the Daily Mail.

Parmos are made from chicken, not pork. Well they are in the North East anyway, their birthplace.

Sounds like the landlord is a complete cock

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing