back to article Shock! Hackers for medieval caliphate are terrible coders

An analysis of the hacking groups allying themselves to Daesh/ISIS has shown that about 18 months ago the religious fanatics stopped trying to develop their own secure communications and hacking tools and instead turned to the criminal underground to find software that actually works. Kyle Wilhoit, a senior security researcher …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

(Unimportant) Things that Daesh have ruined

The Isis river in Oxford.

The Isis mobile wallet system (rapidly renamed softcard before it faded into oblivion)

The IS-IS routing protocol (although people really say eye-ess eye-ess, it still brings me up short to read it

What else?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: (Unimportant) Things that Daesh have ruined

Can't imagine it's much fun visiting the USA if you are a nuclear physicist working for the ISIS neutron beam thingy near Oxford

2. Marcus Fil
      Coat

Don't forget the poor dog on "Downtown Abbey".

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

What else?

Well, the people who worship the old Egyptian female deity are a bit annoyed..

4. Pirate Dave Silver badge

"What else?"

If you were a kid in the 70's you might remember:

OH MIGHTY ISIS

But maybe you Brits weren't subjected to that...

5. J.G.Harston Silver badge

What else?

The International Secret Intelligence Service has had to pack its bags. "Seems there was some sort of trademark infringement."

2. Kiwi
    Trollface

The Sons of the Caliphate Army are another online group who caused a brief stir when they claimed to have plans to kill Mark Zuckerberg.

Hmm.. If they were to target Satan's goNads and the rest of the vile scum behind W10 instead (or as well as), they could win a major publicity coup and, if successful, may even see a major boost to their membership levels! They'll certainly get some sympathy from the millions who suffer at the hands of MS.

3. David Gillies

I'm glad we're telling them about the flaws in their cryptography. It reminds me of that press conference we had in 1943 when we told the Germans we'd broken Enigma.

1. GrapeBunch
      Pint

Bletchworthy

"I'm glad we're telling them about the flaws in their cryptography. It reminds me of that press conference we had in 1943 when we told the Germans we'd broken Enigma."

The above lingered for three days without vote or reply.

Congratulations, @David_Gillies, your post prompted me to click on your name to see how much you were capable of irony, sarcasm, or other archness. For the first time under the sign of the vulture. The breaking of Enigma was a secret so secret that, at least in urban legend, many Coventry souls were sacrificed to preserve it, and Britain's hard-won lead in electronic computers was immolated even after the War. How we didn't quite win the war, department.

Examination showed you are capable of all manner of intelligent comment.

So, either it's true, and those six decades of shtumness were the most hubristic ever sacrifices to the god of Twittery (using that work in its archaic sense, equi-impotent to fuckupery) Bureaucracy, and the acts that caused it the most enduring monument of any Twittery Bureaucracy.

Or it's ironic, like the phrase "It's spelled Joomla, but it's pronounced Yomla, remember who won the War."

In either case, I'd send you an Ale except I don't know which button to press.

4. John Savard

Logo

After discovering that, presumably to avoid concern over promoting terrorism, your article was illustrated with the Mandarin's logo from the Iron Man comic - or a movie based on it - I was inspired to search online for something it reminded me of: the dial depicting the divisional chiefs of Hydra.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon