back to article Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 is hot, but not much more than the S8+

Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 is everything you'd expect in a premium handset, but the stylus doesn't appear to add huge value. The Register was today offered the chance to get hands-on with the new phablet at its formal Australian launch. My immediate impression was that there's now very little distinction between a Phablet and a …

Page:

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

@Brangdon "Am I the only person who also cares about FM radio?"

I was, but the govt have mooted reusing the analog FM bandwidth and moving everything to DAB, so I'm not sure how much future FM has,.... although the govt being the govt, they'll probably not get around to it until someone offers them several £Bn for the spectrum.

1. cambsukguy

They will be offering already, to stream radio to cellphones I imagine.

People use data recklessly, streaming video, radio, video calling. I know someone who sends most of their messages on WhatsApp using audio instead of typing. People complain about not getting good streaming reliability while being the source of the problem.

A bit like bad parking, people complain they never get a space but park atrociously when they have the space.

This is one of those (many) situations (pulling out of side streets, cutting in traffic queues, jumping red lights) where being a good citizen just means others get the benefit of your altruism.

At least altruism can work with data, I have a very cheap SIM-only package (4GB, £9) and never even check the amount used - I would have to be away from home with no WiFi and a laptop needed internet before I worried.

1. Borrus
    Trollface

Nobody will want one of these if they're hot!! The best phones these days are the cool ones. Nobody likes to get their fingers burned.

2. Not also known as SC

Software Updates

I moved away from Android phones a couple of years ago because every one I'd bought seemed to be abandoned by the manufacturers / carriers after what felt like a very short time and no longer received any updates / security patches. What is Samsung like regarding software updates? Are they one of the better companies or are they on par with most other Android phone manufacturers? (I think my last Samsung phone was an S3).

1. John Miles

Re: Software Updates

My Note4 just got security updates today and has been getting them monthly for a while (not sure when ot will end) - it did get an update to newer Android after I brought it, but is still on 6.01 (not sure what sticky mess the name should be) and I doubt will go later than that. A lot better than the past when the original Galaxy I had which got a couple of updates and then nothing - but I believe there was a push from Google to get things more frequently updated and Samsung seems to have come on board

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Same is true for the Galxy S5 and S5 Neo. Both getting security updates (don't know for how much longer). The S5 is now left on Android 6, the S5 Neo is getting a roll out of 7 (subject to the carriers in many instances).

I don't get the impression that Samsung are actually supporting their handsets for any longer in terms of the Android version, YMMV. Incidentally, I was a long time Sammy loyalist, but have jumped ship to Xaomi recently - if I get any updates that'll be a bonus, at the price I paid it doesn't matter if I don't.

1. Not also known as SC
          Pint

@ John Miles

@ Ledswinger

--------------->

Thanks for the replies. When I'm in the market for a new phone / tablet I'll definitely consider Samsung again (although probably not the flagship models).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

When I'm in the market for a new phone / tablet I'll definitely consider Samsung again (although probably not the flagship models).

I gave Samsung the heave-ho on the basis that when it comes to Android versions, most handsets are orphaned after two years if you're lucky, and I wasn't prepared to spend flagship money on a two year toy. I looked at the Samsung mid range handsets and concluded that they were technically underwhelming, and distinctly over-priced against the challenger brands. I almost went with a Moto G5, but it lacks a compass which has some implications for using maps, and several technical reviewers comment on poor audio quality which mattered to me. I really doubt I'll buy another Samsung, not because I dislike the company, just that their corporate flab means that the value is poor at most price points. Obviously that may differ for others, but I think you'd really need a Sammy-specific USP like the stylus on the Note 4 to justify paying their prices.

3. Gob Smacked
    Pint

Stylus all the way!

The Note series has its own moderate fanatical user base. I'm one of them. My prediction: the Note 8's will sell like hot cakes, just like the previous Notes. Pricier than the S series, like the previous Notes. Still, they'll sell, as Samsung knows well.

My 4 year old Note3 is definately going to be replaced soon...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since they have the monopoly on having a tightly integrated stylus that works brilliantly, I decided to suck it up and buy one because my note 4 is finally packing in and I absolutely love having a stylus (I do bits of sketches, drawings and idea concepts every day with it) and on the note 8 it works better than ever. It's pretty much a wacom cintiq in my pocket. Could do without the pricetag and the bixby nonsense but I'm very happy so far.

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Continual improvement is where it's at

My immediate impression was that there's now very little distinction between a Phablet and a plus-size handset

So don't use it. It was made up by marketers and largely ignored by the populous.

With its phones Samsung has pursued a strategy of continual improvements. There's been the odd tick-tock: the Notes get something special or the Galaxys do. Over time high-end becomes standard: high-res, edge-to-edge screens, wireless charging, etc. This is how consumer electronics works and why Samsung is doing well at it. That it has managed to throw in some significant changes: split screens and DeX spring to mind, shows how hard they're working on next-gen stuff.

The stylus is nice to have for most of us but essential for some which is why the Notes continue to sell well despite the price.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ubiquitous Smartphones

The rivalry is childish and reminiscent to the Amiga vs. Atari ST, Nintendo vs. Sega type arguments.

Samsung, Apple - both essentially the same and gradually getting more and more expensive to allow you to browse Facebook, take photos, use apps and phone people.

The vendor buy in by consumers is impressive - the amount of people I know who have an iPhone 7 who will upgrade - or Samsung S7 to Note. Most are on 2 year contracts so will move to the next iPhone 11 or iPhone 12 when that eventually comes out. They just see it as a £65/month contract rather than TCO. It's crazy - especially when (for a 2 year life) there are so many cheaper mid-range devices.

1. Not also known as SC

Re: Ubiquitous Smartphones

"The rivalry is childish and reminiscent to the Amiga vs. Atari ST, Nintendo vs. Sega type arguments."

Compared to camera systems, smart phone rivalry hasn't even got started. Just try mentioning Nikon on a Canon forum or vice versa! I opted out and bought Pentax :-)

2. cambsukguy

Re: Ubiquitous Smartphones

> They just see it as a £65/month contract rather than TCO. It's crazy...

I will tell you what's crazy, thinking that £65/month is reasonable when £20/month will buy a good/reasonable phone over three years with a SIM-only contract.

£40/month saved would pay for my broadband and a TV licence.

7. Jim-234

Apple vs. Android, you really get similar update lengths

I've had Androids for a long time and Had the Note 3 (still in use by a friend), the Note 4 (also in use by a friend) as well as the S7 Edge and the Note 8. All of the Samsung ones (sprint/ATT/Tmobile) seem to get a bit over 2 years of software updates & patches, usually till about the 3 year mark.

Many of my friends / family have the Apple iPhones, and while they say you can upgrade their software anytime, in reality if your phone is 3 to 4 years old and you try to put the latest iOS on it, you pretty much brick the phone into an unusable blob of waiting.... waiting...

So in the end if you want to keep with the latest software from either Google or Apple, you pretty much ned a new phone every 3 to 4 years, or just leave the software where it is and the phone can go on.

The Note 8 camera is way better than the Note 4 camera.

The always on function of the screen is really nice to have once you set it up as you like it.

8. BradPitt1
    Thumb Up

Back to Android

I recently made a big decision and going back to Android with Galaxy Note 8 after six years with Apple. This is a reliable phone with the best camera, excellent quality and performance. I'm a little bit disappointed with battery life, with the massive usage it barely lives the whole day. Brad from https://www.megebyte.com

9. IT_Architect
    Happy

...bringing the nostalgic experience of using a pencil into the digital world, but I could find no

"Spokespeople also enthused about bringing the nostalgic experience of using a pencil into the digital world, but I could find no immediately obvious "value-add" from the stylus."

I know what you mean. It's like going back to the bad ole days when we used to use a ball point pen to sign legal documents and a mouse to select things. Today we simply dip our finger into an ink well to sign legal documents and pdfs, and a catcher's mit to select things. I like the challenge of selecting the right thing, and the suspense and surprise that goes with seeing whether or not I got it. I also find it much less distracting during a meeting to look at my phone max out my fingers than to jot notes with a stylus, and when you're explaining something, who wouldn't rather use a thousand words instead of a simple sketch? I know this, if I'm going to use a movement to dispatch a lock screen, I'd much rather use it to do something useful like swiping my finger than to pull out a stylus. Note users are taking a terrible risk too that they might not be thinking about. If they ever quit making them, the price to replace them with a used one will go up, instead of being able to buy a replacement at a greatly reduced price. (tic)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like