back to article Apple’s facial recognition: Well, it is more secure for the, er, sleeping user

Security watchers have given Apple’s introduction of facial recognition technology a cautious welcome. The newly unveiled iPhone X smartphone débuts an advanced facial recognition technology, called Face ID, which relies on Apple’s TrueDepth camera system. The technology features seven sensors and machine learning algorithms …

Page:

1. Hans 1
      Windows

Re: You give them everything and even pay for your own subjugation

how stupid are Apple users?

Just as dumb as Windows Ph0ne users ...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"how stupid are Apple users?

Just as dumb as Windows Ph0ne users ..."

That's a bit harsh!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The data never leaves the iPhone's secure enclave. Besides, unless you have managed to fly under the radar by avoiding government buildings and various public places in major cities like NYC and London that already have facial recognition technology tied into their security cameras your facial biometrics are already on file.

If you've ever been arrested, joined the military, bought a gun (in the US) or applied to get past TSA lines more quickly they have your fingerprints on file as well. It is much easier to use your fingerprints on file to break into your phone than to use facial recognition data to do so because of the depth sensing. Though of course if the government is willing to devote enough resources to you, they'll find a way.

1. jnievele

It's 2017, and The Reg still has people who write "PIN Number"? Seriously?

1. CT

PIN numbers

Cut them some slack - PIN number is common enough. And in spoken language it might conceivably eradicate some ambiguity (PIN the number versus pin the pointy thing). Admittedly the context usually gives it away.

And we're using natural language, not a programming language, so it doesn't have to be complete:

- my car's passed its MOT --> MOT test

and it can be redundant:

- 5am in the morning --> 5 in the morning / 5am

- it's got an LCD display --> it's got an LCD

Headmaster

Re: PIN numbers

- my car's passed its MOT --> MOT test

- my car's[sic] passed its Ministry of Transport --> Ministry of Transport Test.

Note how the T in MOT does not mean Test.

See icon.

2. fidodogbreath

It's 2017, and The Reg still has people who write "PIN Number"?

Is that the code you enter into the ATM Machine?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are they (re)inventing Face Off (c) 1997 technology too...

For when the enclave isn't as secure as they thought?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£1149 holy shit my mac book pro cost less than that and it has a headphone socket

4. Anonymous Custard
    Boffin

Making a spectacle?

Given the fun I always have trying to get through the ePassport gates at the airport when I forget to take my glasses off, I would also wonder if we're going to see iPhone X users having similar issues, or heaven help them actually having to take their shades off to unlock their phones...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Silence of the lambs

Is it resistant to the Hannibal Lechter attack?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Silence of the lambs

Some lunatic is about to rip your head off, and your worried he might access your secret stash if dick pics?

6. Old_JP
    Facepalm

Get the bullets right!

Its a Magic bullet nor Silver bullet - just saying......

7. cheesey01

I am looking forward to the queues at Tube stations as iPhoneX owners hold up their phones to their faces and wait for it to unlock, followed by a further delay while they position the phone optimally on the gate for the NFC chip to work

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sleeping?

Seems like it would be EASIER to unlock a sleeping person's iPhone with Face ID without permission. With the thumbprint, you have to press the person's finger to the sensor. With Face ID, you merely have to hold it near their face, no direct contact. Of course this would be no use if you sleep face-down. It remains to be determined how much of your face must be visible, so burying part of your face in a pillow is still possibly secure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sleeping?

Watch the presentation, unless the person sleeps with their eyes open it won’t work.

"Watch the presentation, unless the person sleeps with their eyes open it won’t work."

I have a few desk-bound colleagues who seem to be able to do that quite quite well. Years of practice.

2. Nifty Silver badge

I had a schoolmate who indeed could be asleep while sitting bolt upright in the classroom, with eyes open.

No doubt it's a recolonised condition affecting x%.

Still, the scenario is not hard to imagine: Drug dropped into drink Victim falls into drugged sleep. Eyelids held open. Jobs a good'n.

9. Matdamon

New ways to have a car crash

Google has every price of obscene functionality in Maps: The "bonging" "would you like to go the quicker route" and 25 button pressed to begin navigation.

Apple now needs you to hold the phone in front of the road ahead of you.

Yes people will use it whilst driving..

Re: New ways to have a car crash

"Apple now needs you to hold the phone in front of the road ahead of you."

If some of the twonks I see driving are anything to go by, they'll use a windscreen sucker mount and place directly in front of their faces.

10. Hyper72

Purpose

Well, Apple themselves mentioned at the keynote that biometric locks will never be perfect,- the only comment during the entire presentation that was plain honest rather than 100% upbeat super positive marketing droid drivel.

The purpose of this type of lock is the same as the door lock to your house, to create a reasonable barrier suitable for the common purpose. The average phone thief will not have access to multiple lidar scans of your face and 3D printers capable of making better face masks that those Hollywood masks Apple already tested against. Those average thieves just want to re-purpose the hardware, not steal your information from the phone because of the difficulty level involved.

If you require better security, feeling CIA is after you, you will instead disable biometric access and configure your phone to require a long password.

1. Charles 9

Re: Purpose

"If you require better security, feeling CIA is after you, you will instead disable biometric access and configure your phone to require a long password."

But what if you have a bad head for passwords, too? I've yet to hear a practical solution that doesn't involve permanent parts of the body or a decent memory.

11. seatiger

FBI says Thanks!

So the feds only need to show you your phone and it´s unlocked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FBI says Thanks!

That's why Apple added the disable where you hit the sleep/wake button five times and it will only unlock with the password. There should be enough time to do that when you hear the knock and "open up this is the FBI!"

If it is a no-knock raid and they catch you sleeping too bad, but if you think that's a possibility for you you might want to consider not using biometrics and instead using a nice long password and always being super paranoid about where you enter it in case of bystanders or hidden cameras!

Courts in some parts of the US were already holding that it is OK for the police to force you to unlock your phone using your fingerprint - and no phone has a fingerprint reader that isn't able to be fooled with your finger so they don't even need your help to do it. So Face ID isn't changing the game any. It is probably more of a problem for a jealous spouse who can grab your phone, hold it in front of your face to unlock it, then run and lock herself in the bathroom and check your texts to see if you've been naughty :)

1. D@v3

Re: sleep/wake button five times...

"That's why Apple added the disable where you hit the sleep/wake button five times and it will only unlock with the password."

I've seen a few people mention this, and it sounds like a good idea. I'm assuming it's an iOs11 thing? as it doesn't work on (otherwise) up to date 6s. Can't find anything in the settings either.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: sleep/wake button five times...

Yes, it is an iOS 11 feature.

12. Prophet Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle
    Holmes

Apple said the chance of defeating TouchID was 1 in 50,000 and the chance of defeating FaceID was 1 in 1,000,000.

Apple also said the evil twin/lookalike would be required to enter the password of the genuine owner. Also, the FaceID was intelligent enough to adapt to changes in owner’s face over time, including the growing a beard. Photos won't work because they don't have physical depth and are not heat/infrared pictures.

1. Evil Genius

As Sir Terry noted. Million to one chances happen nine times out of ten.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The million in one chance basically means that some random person won't unlock your phone by accident - though it would be an interesting thing to try if you ever ran into someone who was your doppelganger!

The million in one chance doesn't necessarily tell us anything about how difficult it is to deliberately deceive if you had access to photographs of someone from multiple angles, a quality 3D printer able to print in multiple materials, and so forth. If it is expensive/difficult enough to fool that way, then those who really want access may resort to XKCD's $5 hammer.

1. Charles 9

And if your target's a masochist?

13. Martin Pittaway

Petty jealousy

Oh my the silliness of it all. Apple are the , most moral, operator. They deliberately go out of their way to protect everything we do with the products they create, and because, they, Apple, thought of it first, all the silly people can do criticise.

HOW PATHETIC!

14. 2Fat2Bald

I have no idea how to do this.... but.

How about getting multiple images of a face from different angles, then using that to work out the measurements of the face. Once you have multiple angles that ought to become easier. Scoping social media ought to give you enough images to get a pretty good impression of the face from different angles.

One your have that, you can then make a 3D printed mask of the face and print/paint facial features on to it, also garnered from social media. A few years ago this would have been too pixelated, but now days most phones have pretty decent cameras in them, so high def images are easy.

I doubt it's easy, as I say I have no idea how to do it, but equally I know that with enough maths it ought to be possible.

1. Martin Pittaway

Duh

You should go watch the video before commenting.

1. Charles 9

Re: Duh

They'll just come up with a better mask material. Say one that's IR-transmissive.

15. David Roberts

Reversing the logic

How about configuring the lock when you are wearing a mask?

Not much help for everyday use in the bus queue but would mess with the head of anyone trying the various dubious tactics suggested up thread.

Alternaively, has anyone checked if it works with a cat?

Gives you two fat purr (sorry) authentication.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about Dave (my brother) with Bosseyedness?

What about Dave (my brother) with Bosseyedness. Will he be able to unlock the iPhone X?

It's no joke. We're looking at you.

ITCrowd....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHLbwwqCY9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVjnc3i_I1g

17. cambsukguy

I can't help thinking Iris recognition is superior

Absolutely requires open eyes.

Isn't be fooled by a photo, even one wrapped around a mannequin.

1. Charles 9

Re: I can't help thinking Iris recognition is superior

What about a photo OF an iris?

18. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Security

What we are trying to do is to make computers as easy as possible to use for legitimate users, but as difficult to use as possible for illegitimate users.

Those two extremes are difficult to achieve.

Security is based on what you are, what you know, and what you have. Facial-feature recognition is the what you are factor. Two-factor authentication is also important since other mechanisms make things more secure.

Kerchoff's principles are still important.

>>In 1883 Auguste Kerckhoffs [2] wrote two journal articles on La Cryptographie Militaire,[3] in which he stated six design principles for military ciphers. Translated from French, they are:[4]

The system must be practically, if not mathematically, indecipherable;

It should not require secrecy, and it should not be a problem if it falls into enemy hands;

It must be possible to communicate and remember the key without using written notes, and correspondents must be able to change or modify it at will;

It must be applicable to telegraph communications;

It must be portable, and should not require several persons to handle or operate;

Lastly, given the circumstances in which it is to be used, the system must be easy to use and should not be stressful to use or require its users to know and comply with a long list of rules.

Some are no longer relevant given the ability of computers to perform complex encryption, but his second axiom, now known as Kerckhoffs's principle, is still critically important.<<

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerckhoffs%27s_principle

1. Charles 9

Re: Security

Tiny bit of an ask.

"The system must be practically, if not mathematically, indecipherable;"

Quantum computers and rubber hoses mean this is increasingly unlikely.

"It should not require secrecy, and it should not be a problem if it falls into enemy hands;"

It WILL require secrecy given how much the enemy can figure out already without the ciphertext. If the enemy is paranoid (and one must assume that), not even steganography can be considered reliable.

"It must be possible to communicate and remember the key without using written notes, and correspondents must be able to change or modify it at will;"

Impossible given electronic memory versus human memory, the latter of which cannot be considered reliable nor safe against rubber hoses. What if one party has bad memory?

"Lastly, given the circumstances in which it is to be used, the system must be easy to use and should not be stressful to use or require its users to know and comply with a long list of rules."

Easy to use usually means easy to break. Even the one-time pad is vulnerable (by intercepting the pad).

19. Blubster

The system doesn't inspire confidence when it fails to work at a prestigious launch ceremony. More a case of marketing the next must have `feature` than increased security.

2025: Coming to an iPhone near you, an RFID chip inserted under the skin of the owner linked to the phone so making it only accessible by the owner. Imagine it, vast queues of fanbois lining up to get injected with the chip on their way into an Apple store to buy the iPhone 20. Perhaps I should patent this idea to prevent Apple from stealing it, er beg your pardon, adapting the technology as they have done many times in the past.

20. DerekCurrie
    Go

Multifactor Authentication Is The Ideal. Let's Get There Already.

Convenience and Security are in constant contention. Holding up your phone to your face and instantly having access is great for grannies and girls on the go. But it's obviously not great security, especially when someone can grab your device, hold it to your face and have access to the Crown Jewels.

What I'd like Apple to do is provide access to full multifactor authentication when we want it. That means our devices would ALSO require a passcode before access is provided. Or how about supporting secure ID dongles, such as the YubiKey? It has to be plugged into the Lightning port before access. Or how about requiring ALL THREE? That's what I want. Three factor authentication.

Reading assignment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-factor_authentication

1. Charles 9

Re: Multifactor Authentication Is The Ideal. Let's Get There Already.

OK, then. Suppose you LOSE your YubiKey? OR it gets STOLEN? Now you're locked out of your phone. Security is now in the way of your productivity; what good is security if it's turned against you? And security people wonder why so many people are so against hoop-jumping...

21. Jin

Face ID - Nice way to get criminals delighted

So long as a fallback password is needed in case of false rejection, biometrics brings down security as explained in this video.

- Biometrics in Cyber Space - "below-one" factor authentication

https://youtu.be/wuhB5vxKYlg

22. Jin

What is the FRR/FNMR when the FAR/FMR is claimed to be one millionths?

The FAR/FMR (false acceptance/false match) of Face ID, reportedly one millionths, would make sense only when it comes with the corresponding FRR/FNMR (false rejection/false non-match) and when the values are empirical, not theoretical. I expect The Register to obtain the whole picture with all the empirical figures.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

would not get an apple phone even if someone else paid for it

so only idle curiosity here - which isnt enough to make me sit through any video...

so tell me, how well does it cope with non-hipster, ungroomed, live and evolving, real beards ?

or people who work in extremely dirty/dusty environments - doesnt happen often, but there are days when I look like I've been working in a coal mine, and more frequently my skin tone is affected by high heat and intense sunlight.

Obvious answer is that people who work hard arent the target demographic, its baristas, not lumberjacks, that traditionally buy apple..

anon for mask icon

24. kendough

So what's to stop people using a small photo of the queen or donald trump to set up and then unlock their phone?

Remember this is a face as an ID but doesn't have to be your face, at least I assume it doesn't have to be your face within the t&cs.

This is ultimately as pervasive as the harmless idea that a sole and real name email address is a good idea for all your digital activities.

Before you know it your face as a digital tracking tool will be everywhere. At least in the commercial space, now is an opportunity to spoof the system (Transport Tycoon style random faces?) from the start, at least if you care about enjoying some anonymity while walking around shops with curb in a few years time!

25. Chad.Chandramohan

We will soon be seeing this in a movie.

Good guy: You can't shoot me. Only I know the password.

Bad guy: oh yes I can, I just need you face.

Booom!

Of course movies aren't real life. But then at $1000 neither is an iPhone X...

26. Jin

What False Acceptance and False Rejection Mean for Face ID?

What FAR means when it does not come with the corresponding FRR?

Answer: It means nothing.

According to some tech media¸the FAR (false acceptance rate) of iPhone X Face ID is said to be one millionth, which might be viewed as considerably better than the reported one 50,000th of Touch ID.

It is not the case, however. The fact is that which is better or worse can by no means be decided when the corresponding FRR (false rejection rates) of Face ID and Touch ID, which are in the trade-off relation with FAR, are not known. This crucial observation is seldom reported by major tech media. It is really sad to see the misguided tech media spreading the misguiding information in a huge scale.

The only meaningful fact that we can logically get confirmed by the trade-off between FAR and FRR is that the biometrics deployed with a password as a fallback means against false rejection would only provide the level of security lower than that of a password-only authentication.

Face ID, which brings down security as such, could be recommended only for those who want better convenience, as in the case of Touch ID. If recommended for better security, it would only get criminals and tyrants delighted.

Security professionals are expected to speak up.

30-second video - https://youtu.be/7UAgtPtmUbk

27. pomegranate

I wonder how it recognizes a face reliably without being trained with any wrong faces.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like