back to article Terry Pratchett's unfinished works flattened by steamroller

A hard drive containing the unfinished books of Terry Pratchett has been destroyed by a steamroller, in fulfilment of the late author's last wishes. The works were crushed by a vintage John Fowler & Co steamroller at the Great Dorset Steam Fair, ahead of the opening of a new exhibition about the author’s life and work. It is …

Page:

1. AndyS

How appropriately poetic.

I do wonder, though, if he considered the Guardian philosophy of destroying hard-drives? I assume the intention is for the data to be fully destroyed, but what are the bets that, somewhere, there are backups waiting to be discovered in a few years' time?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I think it was just a joke. And his estate has the resources to be silly, so why not?

If anyone wants to do an academic study of his work, then maybe in 50 years this stuff would be interesting to look at. Maybe he'll be taught in English Literature by that time?

I really liked the Salmon of Doubt. The first couple of chapters of unfinished book starts were rubbish, but I bought it for the collection of his journalism and essays. And that was great.

I feel Adams only wrote 6 good books. The first 3 Hitch Hikers, the 2 Dirk Gently (his best I think), and Last Chance to See.

Pratchett didn't have the same writing-demons. I suspect that if he had early ideas that he really wanted written, he'd have got round to writing them.

1. JimC

> If anyone wants to do an academic study of his work

He's on record as despising the academic study thing, and as ensuring that all works in progress were destroyed once the final edit was complete.

He had a point I think, there are a good number of authors (CS Lewis, Isaac Asimov for two) on record as stating that all the analyses of their work that they had seen were utterly wide of the mark. So its unlikely post mortem ones were any better. I particularly liked Asimov's comment to one story which includes a distinctly Freudian image on the lines that he could imagine future critics getting very excited about the hidden subtext of this, but actually he'd done it quite deliberately...

1. Tom 7

Re: > If anyone wants to do an academic study of his work

When at school sciences chose me but I loved reading almost anything I could get my hands on and read the works the English A'level students had to study and I loved them while they largely hated them. At uni a friend of mine was doing a PhD in english and she'd never read any Sci-Fi and took a book of my collection of browning tattered paperbacks and read around 200 works without breathing - seems she'd never read for pleasure before!

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"He had a point I think, there are a good number of authors (CS Lewis, Isaac Asimov for two) on record as stating that all the analyses of their work that they had seen were utterly wide of the mark. "

I vaguely remember a short SF story many, many years ago. It was a time travel thing in a university. Shakespear was pulled into the "present" and attended a course on his work and failed the test. It might even have been an Asimov work :-)

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Immortal_Bard is indeed a story of Asimov's.

3. The Packrat

I seem to recall a story (one of Asimov's I think) that involved a scientist bringing Shakespeare forward in time and letting him join an English Literature class so that he could see what people thought about his works so many centuries later. He wound up asking to be sent back to his own time because he was so demoralised and depressed after seeing the sorts of things that people got from his works as well as having flunked the course about himself... Story was told from the viewpoint of the scientist telling off his Lit professor friend for failing Shakespeare, and said Lit professor vaguely recalling a funny speaking individual from his class...

2. earlyjester

I love they respected his wishes and I am very sad there will be no more disk world but I do think no disk world is better than a disk world that is not up to scratch

1. Mike Moyle

" I do think no disk world is better than a disk world that is not up to scratch"

...a scratch-disk world...?

Interesting concept; does it keep changing randomly as parts get overwritten?

2. The Indomitable Gall

The Discworld is now scratched, as for many fans, when the needle reaches the last book, it will magically jump back to the beginning.

3. Aladdin Sane

GNUTerryPratchett

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

4. Steve K
    Coat

Disc 0 World 1

(Hard) Disc 0 World 1

1. hplasm
      Thumb Up

Re: Disc 0 World 1

This.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Photo of said crushed drive on BBC news.

Doubt anyone would've been able to get at the contents anyway. Looked like an IDE interface, who'd have something using one of those lying around nowadays :-)

1. Simon Harris

Did you even try googling "IDE drive interface" and looking at the shopping results?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

*sigh*

No, I didn't. They're about 2 quid on eBay. Or 4 quid by the time you order a second, as the first arrived faulty but not worth the cost to return it.

It was a joke.. IDE drives are, you know, old?

But well done on your Googling skills there. Obviously better than my joke telling skills.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

@ AC's sigh

I got the joke, wondered at the downvotes, then realized you'd posted AC... hence no joke icon... so no way for the pedantic masses to notice.

I shudder to think the fact i recognized it maybe means i am underqualified?

*kicks IDE / USB 2.0 enclosure under desk... and damages antique 10GB hdd*

2. GlenP Silver badge

I've got one here, simple USB multi-format controller.

3. Vinyl-Junkie

IDE drives

I have all my old IDE drives (at least those of 80Gb or more) and a couple of IDE external caddies. I use the old drives as removable backup.

I would imagine that if this drive contained actual PTerry writings (as opposed to being a purely symbolic gesture), they were the last external backups of his work, everything else already having been wiped.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: IDE drives

It was only last month I dumped a load of MFM drives, controllers and mobos at the recycling centre. I have an actual IBM AT (though with VGA card and AST memory expansion) in the attic. It might still have MFM. I also dumped old "IDE" drives that used same parallel cable but not the regular IDE/PATA port. Also three kinds of SCSI drives.

4. 40k slimez

I think you'll find it was a Parallel ATA (PATA) drive - IDE being what PATA drives developed from.

The terms "integrated drive electronics" (IDE), "enhanced IDE" and "EIDE" have come to be used interchangeably with ATA (now Parallel ATA, or PATA)... but's not let facts get in the way of a good joke........ it was a good joke wasn't it??

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, it was.

A geek would've chuckled and felt all smug. Knowing nicely they'd have an old box in the loft that'd have requistite connector. Or knowing they could achieve readability with a scratty Chinese adapter they picked up which may or may not function that day.

Then you come along. Geek times ten, and waffle on with a load of cack even normal geeks forgot about years ago.

Got any info on CONFIG.SYS settings for SoundBlasters, or POKE's for the old Commodore 64 while you're on? If you have, don't bother posting back, I'll be ginned up in about 15 minutes and am hardly likely to enjoy it.

5. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Similar joke

I think it was "Son of Cliché" on radio - written by the Red Dwarf authors and including prototypes of Dwarf, and currently repeated on BBC Radio 4 Extra (as is Sir Terry, indefinitely) - that presented a spoof feature on the truth about Marilyn Monroe, including someone who provided a (fake, using her music tracks) revelatory recording of Marilyn; he said, well, no one had asked him about it, and anyway it was on 8 Track tape cartridge and who has those any more...

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Video Please

I would like to see the steamroller in action!

7. Alan J. Wylie

"steamroller named"

I think there's something missing there: steamroller named Lord Jericho

8. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

The report and pictures on the BBC website suggest that the drive in question was a tougher customer than you might have expected. Probably quite good publicity for whoever the manufacturer was

1. collinsl Bronze badge

Well according to the report the stone blocks it was sitting on got crushed, so I'd expect it sank into the ground a bit, hence the stone crushing mill.

9. ukgnome

What impressed me most of all is that they used a proper steam roller and not a road roller.

This attention to detail pleases me quite a bit.

1. Ochib

re:Terry Pratchett's unfinished works flattened by steamroller

After his death, fellow fantasy author Neil Gaiman, Pratchett’s close friend and collaborator , told the Times that Pratchett had wanted “whatever he was working on at the time of his death to be taken out along with his computers, to be put in the middle of a road and for a steamroller to steamroll over them all”.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: re:Terry Pratchett's unfinished works flattened by steamroller

When Gaiman broke down in the interview for Back In Black, the room suddenly became quite dusty.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hi John

"Just checking, did you manage to compress those Pratchet disks and put them somewhere safe?", "Oh and please say you didn't just use bloody WinZip".

1. Steve K
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Hi John

I salute you sir, and wish I had thought of that one!

11. Dwarf

The Great A'Tuin just shed a tear.

1. Aladdin Sane

The turtle moves!

12. Aladdin Sane

Please

Can we have a Sir Pterry icon?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Please

OK then. What would such an icon signify?

1. kmac499

OK then. What would such an icon signify?

-------------------------------------------

The absurdity of us human beings trying to make their mark against the flowing stream of uncaring, unstoppable chaos that is the clockwork of the universe slowly running down.

I suggest a pointy hat as "Embuggerance" is just too big to fit in the icon Box..

1. Tom 38

I think the Sir Pterry logo should be just the words "Millenium Hand & Shrimp", and it would not be a selectable logo, but would instead be applied to whomever the community votes as their current Foul Old Ron, eg aManFromMars.

13. x 7

Thats an old ancient ATA hard drive thats crushed in the photo........seems unlikely its the right one

Methinks in a few years time the "real" drive will be miraculously found and a batch of new novels published by a ghostwriter

1. Aladdin Sane
      1. Ochib

Millennium Hand and Shrimp!

14. James Cullingham

At least we have been spared...

the wringing out of every last drop of blood, or rather money, from whatever jottings he may have left, at whatever cost to his memory.

Christopher Tolkien, I'm looking at you...

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: At least we have been spared...

What about Christopher Awdry?

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: At least we have been spared...

To be honest completely ruined by Britt Alcrofts terrible post Awdry scripts.

15. Notenoughnamespace

The Salmon of Doubt

In two minds about this:

Stuff found on the hard drive of the late Douglas Adams was compiled in to a book. Much of little value, but I enjoyed reading the first chapters of a new Dirk Gently novel. Franz Kafka wanted his work destroyed, and (according to Quartz Media) we only have The Metamorphosis because his wishes were ignored. It does seem weird to let the dead decide on the best course of action for those of us left behind.

We're going to face this more often, and should be thinking about our own digital detritus as well of that belonging to the rich and famous.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Salmon of Doubt

...and should be thinking about our own digital detritus

Can't see who might be interested in mine. Except maybe Google et al for their data mining.

1. BlokeOnMotorway

I wonder; maybe knock up a bot or two to keep the online presence going? That could balls things up quite nicely.

2. Alister

It does seem weird to let the dead decide on the best course of action for those of us left behind.

Not when it's their works, and their legacy, it's not.

Would you ignore the wishes of your parents on how they are buried / cremated etc after they are gone?

Both Rob Wilkins and Rhianna have pledged that there will never be a continuation of Discworld, in accordance with Terry's wishes, and that's as it should be.

1. Tom 38

Would you ignore the wishes of your parents on how they are buried / cremated etc after they are gone?

Maybe. Depends on what those wishes were. As it happens, as you say, after they are gone, their wishes don't really come in to it that much because there is no "them" anymore.

This actually has legal precedence, if the wishes of the deceased affect the living unduly, the executor can set them aside. Eg, you might want to be buried at sea in a burning Viking ship, but your executor may as easily decide to bury you in the local cemetery to save money.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon