back to article GoDaddy gives white supremacist site its marching orders after Charlottesville slur

Domain name retailer and hosting outfit GoDaddy has given a right wing web site that describes itself as “The World's Most Genocidal Republican Website” 24 hours to find a new hosting company. GoDaddy's decision came after activists pointed out that a site called The Daily Stormer made extraordinarily vulgar and disparaging …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is ostensibly misinformation; check facts please. Cite sources. You didn't, so I won't either.

1. ukgnome

Apparently the domain has been moved to google - according to the twit feed from @th3j3st3r

1. KLane
      Stop

Google has also given them the boot!

Google has canceled the domain registration for The Daily Stormer, a company spokesperson confirmed Monday.

Google didn't want its services used to incite violence, a source close to Google told Business Insider. Daily Stormer registered its domain with Google at 7:51 a.m. Pacific. Google canceled the registration at 11:02 a.m. Pacific, the source said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-cancels-domain-registration-for-daily-stormer-2017-8

1. Florida1920

Re: Google has also given them the boot!

Using a VPN to disguise my IP address, I just went to the DS home page, at 2200 GMT. It was still up. A WHOIS check shows Google is still its registrar. Maybe Google gave them 24 hours, too. If they keep shopping for registrars, they could stay up a long time. Too bad their actual hosting company is shielded.

Neo-Nazis are suckers. The guy who owns DS must have large bills, for Cloudflare and hosting, which seem largely covered by donations from the sheep. I assume he makes his living running the thing. Nice scam he's got going!

1. Number6

Several factors at play here. If the site is still at the same IP address then it will take a while for removal of DNS records to filter down, especially if the default TTL was set high, and it'll still appear to be there. If the hosting provider (as opposed to the domain registrar) pulls the plug then it doesn't matter who's providing the top-level DNS pointer, it's not going to find anything. At that point a long DNS TTL works against them because the system will keep giving the old, and now invalid, answer until it times out so their new site, wherever it is, won't get much traffic until it does.

1. J. Cook Silver badge

The 'defacto' standard for DNS propgation is 48 hours. At least that's what I tell management around %employer%.

Secondly, all the people baying about free speech: go look at popehat's article regarding it, and the obigatory XKCD post (in one reply for your reading pleasure, even.)

https://xkcd.com/1357/

https://www.popehat.com/2016/06/11/hello-youve-been-referred-here-because-youre-wrong-about-the-first-amendment/

2. Snorlax Silver badge

@Florida1920:"Neo-Nazis are suckers. The guy who owns DS must have large bills, for Cloudflare and hosting, which seem largely covered by donations from the sheep."

Andrew Anglin's got $140,000 in his Bitcoin wallet - don't feel too sorry for him.

2. Faceless Man

How bad do you have to be...

...such that GoDaddy will refuse to take your money?

I'm surprised they didn't have a discount code.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon