back to article Jodie Who-ttaker? The Doctor is in

The timelord of Doctor Who, a man since 1963, will be portrayed by a woman – actress Jodie Whittaker – for the first time. Peter Capaldi, Doctor number 12, will regenerate after four years in the BBC's Christmas 2017 special to take on his new, female form. We last saw Capaldi's Doctor fighting his regeneration in Series 10, …

Page:

1. Spiracle

Re: The good old days

I'm with you to a point, but it was a time-honoured tradition to announce every new Doctor/companion with an excruciatingly posed press photo taken next to the bollards outside the old TVC reception.

2. d3vy

Re: The good old days

"Time was when part of watching a program was to be surprised by it. Now every interesting thing about a program is spilled before it airs. I wonder if things will swing back when people get bored of knowing everything in advance?"

I actively avoid watching movie trailers now as they seem to have become *all the best bits of the movie in 3 minutes*.

The last time I got sucked in was passengers, the trailer made it look a bit tense "Theres a reason we woke up early" had me thinking, aliens? conspiracy? Awesome! What I actually watched was one of the story arcs from some future sequel to love actually.

1. Chazmon
    Trollface

Not my opinion!

The finest piece of trolling I have ever seen was performed when the speculation around the 12th doctor was at its height.

Posting in a pro feminist group an acquaintance wrote: 'A female Doctor Who is wrong after all it is 'Doctor Who' not 'Nurse Who.''

The storm of vitriol which followed was a sight to behold.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not my opinion!

That's a shame - I thought I'd come up with an original bit of tongue in cheek trolling.

2. Hollerithevo

Speaking as a female with 'Dr in front of her name, I do get tired of the assumption that Dr = male.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh come on, it was clearly a joke. Is Who even a medical doctor? ( I don't watch, so I don't know ).

1. Simon Harris

"Is Who even a medical doctor?"

I seem to remember in The Seeds Of Doom, when asked to take off someone's arm, that he said he wasn't.

2. Huey

Hollerithevo

You really need to be telling the old one that goes ....

A man and his son are involved in a terrible car accident. An ambulance is called but on the way to hospital the father unfortunately passes away. The boy is a highly critical condition on arrival and is rushed into the operating theatre. As the surgeon is preparing they suddenly turn to their colleagues and state "I cannot operate". "Why not Doctor?" comes the reply "because that's my son!".....

How is this possible,....?

Of course the answer is that the surgeon is the boys mother but it gets more than most people especially if it's the first time they've heard it.

Got told it when I was about 8 never forgotten it and like to think it just helped shaped me into a very slightly better person although that's debatable.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

I told that riddle to a female med student (and serious feminist) and she couldn't solve it. Shows how ingrained it is.

2. Captain Badmouth
          Windows

"A man and his son are involved in a terrible car accident."

My version involves a doctor going into the bar of a pub, orders a pint of beer, and says to the barman "See that man in the lounge, that's my son, give him a drink and tell him his father just died".

Padded out a bit more than that.

Everybody else in the story is male but the doctor is never described as "he".

3. pleb

"Speaking as a female with 'Dr in front of her name, I do get tired of the assumption that Dr = male."

Really? And would it be better if they assumed all "Dr"s were female? Why? How does that solve the issue?

If you don't like people having to make an assumption then why make room for assumption? In the absence of complete information people have only two choices, enquire or assume. The constant enquiry gets tedious after a while, for all concerned, and if you don't like the alternative then why invite the situation?

1. Mooseman Silver badge

"If you don't like people having to make an assumption then why make room for assumption? In the absence of complete information people have only two choices, enquire or assume. The constant enquiry gets tedious after a while, for all concerned, and if you don't like the alternative then why invite the situation?"

So she should have a title that reads Dr *whoever* (female) ? would that help you out? After all, its clearly her fault for being a woman AND a doctor and not having the manners to let everyone know beforehand..... and nobody is suggesting all doctors should be either male or female, you're being ridiculous.

Nice to see the 1950s being represented, well done.

4. Captain Badmouth
        Headmaster

"Speaking as a female with 'Dr in front of her name, I do get tired of the assumption that Dr = male."

See my post in which my story relies on just such a mental standpoint. ( You would possibly be caught out by it yourself in an alcohol infused situation, as it is deeply embedded in our upbringing)

Educational icon.

5. Stevie

Gels can be doctors now? Intollerable! They'll be demandin' the vote next!

2. ArrZarr Silver badge

Goodbye Capaldi

He didn't have the luxury of being the doctor in the 70s so he won't be regarded fondly until sometime near 2050 but he's presided over some of my favourites of the show's run with special mention imo going to the Zygon Inversion and Heaven sent.

Don't know Who Whittaker is but I certainly hope I only see her for the first time when the regeneration happens. Didn't make the jump in my mind that this might spoil the regeneration until it was too late :(

3. Phil W

I'm all in favour of strong female lead roles, Voyager is my second favourite Trek partly for that reason (Patrick Stewart is too awesome to come second), but making The Doctor female seems like pandering to political correctness/feminism to me. It's not like the show hasn't had numerous fantastic female characters, they don't need to prove their credentials on female characters.

I've seen talk of making James Bond female, but really why? Create a new spy in a similar style sure but why the need to change existing characters.

What TV producers should be doing is creating high quality new shows with female leads, or strong new female characters in existing Universes.

It's not like it's even that hard to create new shows or characters like that, there's Janeway as I already mentioned, Rey in Star Wars, Dutch in Kill Joys, Two In Dark Matter and so many others.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Totally agree. Occasionally gender change can work very well - I like Dr Watson in Elementary but thats a re-imagining of the 19th Century Holmes into a new format for modern times which set in Victorian era would be plain silly. What is suggested here for Dr Who comes over to me as a feeble attention grabbing move in a francise that seems to be lacking imaginative ideas to move forward. Moffatt has been grooming the audience to expect this for a few years so I'm hardly surprised. What next: Mr Marple, Miss Poirot, Wonder Man, Cleopatra, Salome, Frankenstein (creator or monster) ...

1. Phil W

You mean Cleopeter, and Frankentina.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why is it PC, to a have a lead character with two hearts, from an alien planet, that changes appearance completely every single time to change gender?

It could be argued that the likes of Voyager were just spin offs to tick the PC brigade boxes without upsetting the hardcore fans.

I personally don't give a toss who does it, so long as it's entertaining. But then again, I've never been one for worrying about who stars in what.

I couldn't name 99% of actors in films, as I think it's pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

3. Hollerithevo

If you're all in favour of strong female roles...

...then why exclude shows with strong followings? Or do these strong female roles have to battle against entrenched favorites by starting new series? Doctor Who is supposed to be shockingly strange. If the new Doctor was an orca or an elephant or some other intelligent species, it would be fun and weird. It's a bit sad that a female human is seen as not-fun and challenging.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: If you're all in favour of strong female roles...

If the new Doctor was an orca or an elephant or some other intelligent species, it would be fun and weird.

Time loop TV - an elephantine Doctor goes back in time to appear on Blue Peter.

2. Phil W

"then why exclude shows with strong followings? "

I'm not. I'm more than happy for a show with a strong following to kill off a main character and replace them with a female lead. However in Doctor Who they aren't killing off the main character it's supposed to be the same person albeit with a new body and personality.

I'd also have no problem with a character being transgender if that was clearly the writer's intention from the start. But Doctor Who has regenerated a dozen times now and never been female, suddenly deciding to do it now seems very much to be pandering decision not a planned plot choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Doctor Who has regenerated a dozen times now and never been female"

Clearly you haven't seen "The curse of fatal death". Look it up, I'm sure it'll be on youtube.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@AntiSol - thumbs up from me. Joanna Lumley was absolutely fabulous as the Dr for her all too brief appearance in 'The curse of fatal death", played the part exactly right and IMO would make a good Dr Who in the actual series any time they care to offer her the part.

1. James Hughes 1

@phil.

Since the other Time Lords in the series HAVE actually changed gender, and there have been female timelords in shows, its seems anachronistic that the Dr hasn't been female yet. Assuming that the probability of changing gender is 50:50 (I suspect it isn't, it seems likely there is less chance of a change than remaining the same)), the chance of 12 in a row being male is only 2^12, so 4096:1.

About time.

Or something.

2. Simon Harris

"Joanna Lumley ... would make a good Dr Who"

And great previous experience in Sapphire and Steel.

3. Red Bren

"Or do these strong female roles have to battle against entrenched favo[u]rites by starting new series?"

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Xena Warrior Princess

4. Simon Harris

"I've seen talk of making James Bond female"

Bond does, of course, have a female boss - at least recently.

5. Paul A. Clayton

Strong female characters

One does not even need lead characters to be female to have a significant presentation of strong female characters. I (and I suspect more than a few male nerdy science fiction fans) enjoyed the early, highly intelligent presentation of Romanadvoratrelundar (sadly the character later became "just a companion"). Having a peer (superior?) in intelligence albeit with less experience provided nice opportunities to show the Doctor's strengths as well as present a positive female role model. (What other kind of character would be able to say both as a jibe and respectfully that the Doctor wins by making mistakes?)

While Doctor Who is not exactly known for consistency, it would have been nice if the established expectation that regeneration does not change gender (which was changed at least as early as "The Doctor's Wife"). It would not have been difficult to make up some technobabble to explain the exceptional case, but those managing the series chose to support the an arbitrary view of gender (which is distinct from equality in worth).

(The series also seems to have diminished the superiority of the Doctor. Part of this is normal (bad) enemy/conflict inflation (saving worlds, galaxies, and even universes can become old hat), but I suspect part of this comes from trying to make the companions more significant. This could have been done in other ways than making human companions peers (or superiors), but it is easier present quantitative value than qualitative value.)

6. Day

WHY does it seem "like pandering to political correctness/feminism"? Why don't you see it as just a simple choice that reflects the times that we are living in?

1. Phil W

"Why don't you see it as just a simple choice that reflects the times that we are living in?"

Because Doctor Who isn't a character from the times we're living in?

If it was another male Doctor Who but he'd picked up a new companion from 2017 who was transgender there would be far less conversation about it, and it would be much more relevant to the times we're living in.

To me it simply doesn't make sense, it would be akin to Star Trek Discovery having a transporter accident that changes the Captain's gender and they decide to stay that way. It just feels like shoehorning a gender change for the sake of it.

2. nijam Silver badge

> WHY does it seem "like pandering to political correctness/feminism"? Why don't you see it as just a simple choice that reflects the times that we are living in?

Same thing, perhaps?

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"What TV producers should be doing is creating high quality new shows with female leads, or strong new female characters in existing Universes."

This!

Maybe they could have made a River Song spin off. Or get the rights to Berni Summerfield from the books.

1. Vic

Maybe they could have made a River Song spin off

Oh, I wish.

I've got a bit of a thing for Alex Kingston...

Vic.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why does everything have an agenda!?

I loved the idea of getting a female Doctor, I thought it'd be great to have something they hadn't already done in the series.

*Then* I go online and hear all of the fuss about feminism and the Dr "needing" to be male etc etc.

Can't I just like something because it's cool anymore?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Can't I just like something because it's cool anymore?

But then it isn't cool anymore once ....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't I just like something because it's cool anymore?

I completely agree; it's all well and good having an interesting new actor playing the Doctor. But it's all for nothing if the writing is naff. (See Capaldi/Smith)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Susan?

I'm still holding out a slight hope that Chris "no gimmicks" Chibnall is going to surprise us that the next Doctor Who is actually a regeneration of grandaughter Susan, not a 2000 year old jaded bloke who fancies a sex-change. That way we lose the overcomplex back-story and get to see what a strong female timelord character can bring to the series.

1. davenewman

Re: Susan

Do you mean Susan, the granddaughter of Death?

1. collinsl Bronze badge

Re: Susan

She's currently temping for Death whilst he's on his summer hols.

6. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Dear leftist commie remoaning bastards at the BBC...

The most enjoyable thing about witnessing people being appalled by the decision - on one hand because the doctor is now a woman, on the other because it doesn't go far enough in reflecting diversity - is there's scope for plenty more to come!

I have nailed my flag to the "I'm outraged! Absolutely bloody outraged!" mast, though purely for shits and giggles.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: Dear leftist commie remoaning bastards at the BBC...

Instigator! Don't we have enough permanently outraged as it is, without pokin' at em? I suppose the only good thing about internet angries is it keeps them off the street. Otherwise they'd be out in the garden yelling at those damn kids, an peeing on everyone's fireworks.

7. Badvok

I'm disappointed they didn't go for a mixed race african/asian, one armed, bi-polar, lesbian just so they could tick off a few more boxes.

1. Alister

They already did that with Bill.

1. Toltec

"They already did that with Bill."

They already did that with Captain Jack.

If Bill comes back what will happen with an attractive female Doctor on the scene? Apart from the possible tension would Bill be helping the Doctor with being female?

I'm still somewhat ambivalent about the whole thing.

2. Phil W

How about a person with white skin who identifies as Black, or vice versa, who is also non-binary gender and gets super offended if you assume their gender.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

You forgot

That they need to be Transgendered as well. (LGBTQ and all that)

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: You forgot

That they need to be Transgendered as well. (LGBTQ and all that)

naughty. You left off the 'I'. LGBTQI. You will be placed in the stocks and whipped with limp spaghetti.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: You left off the 'I'. LGBTQI.

You left off the '+'. LGBTQI+. You will be placed in the stocks and whipped with limp celery.

2. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

Re: You forgot

What's the Q and I anyway?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon