back to article Ubuntu Linux now on Windows Store (for Insiders)

Microsoft finally confirmed that Hell has indeed frozen over – Ubuntu is at long last available from the Windows Store. Canonical's Linux distro is now available for installation on Windows Store on Insider build 16215 and higher. Windows 10 already supports Ubuntu via the Windows Subsystem for Linux, rolled out in the …

Page:

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Fast Startup, corrupt NTFS.

"Have Microsoft have finally turned off Fast Startup, if you install Ubuntu? One of the problems with Microsoft Windows 10's hibernated fast startup mode, is the NTFS File System is unreadable by another OS"

This isn't a regular install of Ubuntu. This is the Ubuntu userland running under Windows with, as per other comments, a sort of Wine in reverse intercepting system calls and using Windows instead of the Linux kernel perform them. So Windows wouldn't be hibernating whilst running Ubuntu in this way.

2. Anonymous C0ward

Re: Fast Startup, corrupt NTFS.

Why would you use hybrid any more, even on a Mac? Both OSes natively support GPT. Boot Camp on the latest Mac OS doesn't go lower than Windows 10.

3. Ramazan

Re: while it's in this frozen state, it's effectively marked as 'dirty'.

You know, if you mount frozen ext2/3/4, you'd screw it. That's why you MUST NOT mount / from initrd scripts when doing resume-from-hibernate.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This may be a silly question but are there actually any Linux users using Windows 10?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"are there actually any Linux users using Windows 10?"

And are there any using Linux under Windows 10?

2. toxicdragon

Sort of, but not by choice, my own work machine has linux on it but just about everything else in the building runs about every version of windows running, the admin staff run 10 and its down to me to fix it.

3. Baldrickk

Yes, but purely for gaming here.

2. handleoclast
    Coat

Wine in reverse

Going from biblical authority, wine in reverse would be water.

And for my next miracle...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder how does this stand from licensing point of view.

In order to download Ubuntu installation disk, all I have to do is go to their website and start downloading it. In order to get it from Windows store, you are forced first to install Windows 10, create a Microsoft account and login to get to the app store (Google does the same with their app store and Apple doesn't even accept FOS software at all). Then you can't modify it and run your new modifications like you are free to do it with the real Linux and no, you can't pass a copy to your friends.

This is definitely not what Linux used to be, it's only a pale shadow of it and if this is the future then I'm not going any further.

1. oiseau
      Devil

Re: I wonder how does this stand from licensing point of view.

"This is definitely not what Linux used to be ... "

No ...

It is Ubuntu in bed with MS.

Can't help but to wonder what strange systemd centric things that will bring forth.

4. Ramazan
    Holmes

Looks like only systemd-tainted distros get Microsoft approval

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Looks like only systemd-tainted distros get Microsoft approval!"

Finally Linux has a proper config database system? Well sort of. For some of the boot up settings. Ooops - no - my bad - it still relies on underlying text files.... How 1970s...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I had windows 10 I'd be tempted to go full Inception with this bad boy.

Linux on windows with a VM running windows with another Linux and wine running a windows app or maybe SQL server in Linux on Windows.

Someone needs to do this just for fun.

1. handleoclast

Re: full Inception

Randall got there before you with the XKCD development environment.

More amusing would be to run a Linux host on a Windows host and then somehow move the original Windows into a VM on the Linux host. My guess is the universe would implode.

6. TVU Silver badge

"What fell sorcery is this?"

This magical event is effectively Microsoft finally accepting that they cannot defeat Linux (they tried that in collaboration with the SCO Group and it didn't end well) and so they are going to have to tolerate it and work with it. If they were still taking a hardline attitude then Azure would certainly lose a lot of business and they literally cannot afford to be dogmatic on this issue any more.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

It IS a disgusied EEE gambit @TVU

Bollocks is it them accepting that they cannot beat Linux. It's Microsoft trying to stop people having dual boot systems that run Linux most of the time, with a Windows system left on it "just in case". This is another EEE strategy. It goes like this:

"Hey Linux user, you no longer have to divide up your system and dual boot it to allow you to use Linux and Windows. Just run your Linux processes on Windows. No need to partition your disk any more!"

This means that at some point in the future, when the user decides that Windows becomes too onerous Linux is actually what they want, it is a much harder task to run only Linux, and Microsoft get to count people using a Linux environment as a windows install. And once it's an accepted way of doing things, why run a Linux Kernel at all?

They already tried it some years back with GPT, where installing Windows after Linux could convert the boot record into GPT, destroying the ability to boot Linux. They also tried to suggest that Mobo manufacturers should put secure boot on all the time with only Microsoft certificates enrolled, although this was seen for what it was, and avoided.

I predict that consumer level Windows is going to suddenly get more difficult to run in a VM (it's already largely disallowed by license), to try to avoid people using Windows on Linux, making the Linux on Windows option more attractive to novice Linux users.

7. CrustyDanBear

Missing the point

I spoke to a Microsoft bod at Cloud Foundry Summit a few weeks back; he told me that this Linux on Win10 is just to provide useful Linux tools for techies to make Win10 a more potent tool compared to macOS. I had also been to OpenStack Summit earlier this year, and I'd say that 85% of laptops were MacBook Pros at these open source gatherings. I'm sure Microsoft would prefer them all to be Win10 machines.

I was also surprised to hear that 1/3 of their Azure estate is running bare metal Linux, and they have a complete solution based on Cloud Foundry. He did a CF on Azure demo on his MacBook Pro, for a laugh, he did a CF Push from an app on his iPhone.

Microsoft isn't the same company it was under Balmer and Gates.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Missing the point

"I was also surprised to hear that 1/3 of their Azure estate is running bare metal Linux"

Not quite, About 30% is running Linux under Hyper-V. Not bare metal.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would you want to use the Windows Store?

You would require a Microsoft account. Why not just download Ubuntu from the official Ubuntu website or one of the many mirror sites? Why do you need to go through a third party, especially through a scummy company's app store?

And 'Insiders': are you happy to be unpaid useful idiots for SatNad's beta testing of shoddy code? I guess some people are so masochist they truly enjoy the 'latest and greatest' from Redmond.

9. Jason Hindle

So is this virtualised Ubuntu?

Or is it booting up from its own partition?

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: So is this virtualised Ubuntu?

Neither. It's a little more like Cygwin, although you don't have to recompile any of the applications.

The Linux processes run scheduled and controlled by Windows with a translation layer to provide the kernel API to the processes.

It would be interesting to see how things like IPC, signals and process control work. And also some of the syscalls to do things like reading kernel structures (which won't exist) and also how things like KMS, Dbus, /proc and /sys, which are so important in modern Linux applications, are implemented.

I suppose this could be a reason why systemd is trying to take all these things in, so it is only necessary to subvert systemd to intercept many things. Is Lennart being paid by MS as well as RedHat.

10. eJ2095

Wait for it....

Going to be Lindows next (Yes i know it existed ages ago and microsft moaned about it)

But this will be the new and improved microsoft approved version........ God help us all

11. trog-oz
    FAIL

There are only three comments about it on the M$ store

The first basically says "good", the second "could be better" and the third, the most telling "won't install". Also interestingly, on the PC supplied to me at work, W10 x64, the store tells me "This app does not work on your device."

1. Snorlax Silver badge

Re: There are only three comments about it on the M$ store

@trog-oz: The first basically says "good", the second "could be better" and the third, the most telling "won't install".

So for you, the most telling review is from the person who hasn't actually installed it? Can you explain the logic in that?

Also interestingly, on the PC supplied to me at work, W10 x64, the store tells me "This app does not work on your device."

Not so interesting if you actually read the system requirements on the App Store:

System Requirements

Minimum

OS Windows 10 version 16190.0 or higher required

Architecture x64

You are running 16190.0, enrolled in the Windows Insider program and signed into your Microsoft account, aren't you?

12. Halfmad

I know I'll be down voted for this

But at least it gives more exposure to Linux. I know two of my friends kids will be all over this as it gives them a way to tinker with Linux more readily without annoying their windows obsessed dads until they get their own PCs. Both currently use live linux CDs to mess about.

13. 4d3fect
    Coat

No "year of the Linux desktop" jokes?

--I am disappoint.

14. conscience
    Thumb Down

Ubuntu on Windows 10 is one to avoid

I find the whole idea of Linux-on-Windows 10 truly odd by Microsoft. It can only be another of their traditional Embrace, Extend, Extinguish missions they wheel out to destroy any threat they perceive to their continued dominance. If MS really wanted parity for Windows applications and tools, rather than to destroy Linux, then why wouldn't they just write some of these software applications and tools that they say are currently missing from the Windows world instead of integrating/emulating a rival OS?

MS must have watched Android overtake Windows as most used OS for using the internet with dread, fearing it could/would turn their primary monopoly into an irrelevance. Linux certainly is a threat to Microsoft right now, what with Linux being streets ahead of their flagship Windows 10 OS. A fellow commentard hit the nail on the head when they suggested that Windows 10 was a pale imitation of Android rather than the full-fat OS it used to be, which besides there's more fragmentation and more adverts on Windows 10, is exactly what Windows appears to be these days.

Android uses the Linux kernel so MS can't currently slurp user data or establish any customer lock-in using it, so I can't help wondering if MS see Linux and emulating the Linux kernel as a way for them to one day finally infiltrate the mobile OS world with their bastardised hybrid proprietary/open source Linux-on-Windows 10 perhaps positioned as a drop-in replacement for Android with its Linux kernel? Obviously it is an insane thought, but MS aren't known for sensible ideas and all their other mobile efforts have failed spectacularly.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One last step

When they delete Windows, it will be a day to celebrate.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like