back to article OMG, dad, you're so embarrassing! Are you P2P file sharing again?

Fathers can now add "file sharing" to the list of things they do to embarrass their teenage children - alongside dancing badly in public. P2P file sharing, which peaked over a decade ago, is now the preserve of middle-aged and older internet users. Research from two separate studies (by Kantar and INCOPRO) for UK Music and the …

Page:

1. David 132 Silver badge

Looks at title

Thinks: "I bet me a pint I can guess who wrote that"

Looks

"Yup"

Don't be so sure - the word "freetard" wasn't used even once, so it was obviously written by an imposter & not the real Orlowski.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't think I have every clicked on an advert on Youtube but using the same logic as this article is written if I view videos on Youtube with an adblocker running on my browser I am also stealing the music.

I have on occasions used what I guess you could call a stream ripper: Getiplayer. But we don't talk about getiplayer ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Call me old fashioned if you want ...

but it works for me and if all the kids use another method even better, chase them and just let me get on with what I have been doing for years :)

3. lorisarvendu

I'm a 55-year old Dad, and I have been stream-ripping for a few years now.

Almost exclusively for podcasts though (using FlashGot), as there's nothing worse than your data dropping out halfway through a 'cast just because the bus has driven into a dead spot.

4. Stevie

Bah!

Ha! I'm in the demographic that still buys CDs, and so immune to these overblown and boring Music Piracy accusations.

Thrrrrrrrrp!

8op 8ob 8op

And get off my lawn!

5. dmacleo

I use p2p for nix based distros.

1. Ropewash
      Joke

re : "I use p2p for nix based distros."

Damnit...

When are you *nix pirates going to learn. Your freetard ways are robbing the hardworking software writers of their livelihood. Without the support brought in by a measly $0.99 per-program-per-update every time you use apt/yum/pacman/whatever these poor struggling artists are going to have to go try to earn their living busking software edits in subway stations.

Heartless bastards.

1. dmacleo

Re: re : "I use p2p for nix based distros."

LOL missed this earlier and just snorted coffee out my nose laughing :)

6. Rattus Rattus

Alternate title:

Young'uns technically illiterate, don't know how to get high audio quality music for free

7. JakeMS
    Mushroom

Middle Aged..

Gah, I don't like to admit it, but I'm 26 now... which makes me middle aged (or at very least, feel it and have the grey hair to go with it) and I do indeed use P2P, albeit with private trackers only and usually for content I cannot obtain legally due to no way to do so, such as TV Shows not aired in the UK until months/years later.

Honestly, if these guys really want to stamp out piracy here's what they need to do:

- Release content world wide together, there is no reason for any country to get it months later. There is no physical delivery to TV stations, it's all digital now so you can't blame that.

- Pricing needs to be sorted, I mean seriously you want someone to pay the same for a digital version of an album as you do for a physical item.. but why? The excuse for high prices for physical was due to the cost of the case/disc - that cost is non-existent for digital media. Right now it's just greed.

- Stop treating your customers like criminals - seriously stop with the DRM. I hate DRM and refuse to purchase any media which contains it. The claim is to stop piracy, but this is not true. It only affects legitimate users.

- DRM usually stops it working on Linux and as a Linux user I'm also not going to buy something that only works on a platform I do not use.

- Stop with the "oh the poor artists" crap excuses for being anti-piracy. It has nothing to do with them. The only people hurting the artists are the labels themselves who give the artist pennies out of a sale and keep the rest. It's about greed, pure greed.

Just sayin'

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reading the report, kids are ripping YouTube and subscribing to Spotify. I think the world can survive.

I'm not going to shed a tear for a couple of multi billion dollar companies and the record labels.

Any track that's ripped heavily will also be getting massive royalties for legit users.

If your track ain't being teefed you need to worry.

9. Mary Hinge

Stream Ripping? So just like like taping the charts on the radio, or "videoing" a film off the Tele?

10. Captain Boing

crap report

"if you rip music, you use whores and hurt puppies... you don't HURT puppies... do you?"

pathetic

from my observations, the reason those "older" people who rip music is because they can and they know how to do it. Generation snowflake, while prolific on line, tends to be, largely, technically inept.

I have seen it I have a house full of <30yr olds... There is no way in hell todays yoof are buying their music out of some altruistic mission. For one reason or another, they simply have no other way open to them.

11. CatW

Download the PDF

I see the link to download the PDF - kinda ironic! :o)

...Is that lossless or compressed?

12. CatW

There is another reason - Most youngsters don't even know what 'a hifi' is and listen on crappy little NXT speakers. Having great hifi means you want the best source material and sometimes this simply isn't available anywhere as lossless.

I did some work for a large music company and a lot of their online catalogue was digitised using ISA based Sound Blaster 16 cards. Only the advent of 24bit made them revisit digitising 15 years later!!!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Home ripping is killing music.

Before we had streams we had radio. Which now and then is basically the exact same thing over a different medium (with a few interactivity differences).

To me this argument is a almost word for word repeat of the music industry trying to go up against people recording music over the airwaves instead of buying said music on LP / tape even CD.

Home ripping, like home taping is simply the same thing. People making a personal copy of a broadcast or stream which is perfectly normal behavior in my opinion and the opinion of the majority throughout the entire history of this argument which resulted in NO law against such practices as long as profit and distribution did not come into it.

Nobody in their right mind in every day society would bat an eye lid at someone pressing record on their mp3 player that has a built in FM radio. In fact if that person was to press record on a tape recorder or minidisc recorder to record the latest number 1 on the top 40 they will probably only get comments, positive or negative, about their choice in using such devices.

As long as the kids dont let their dads put their recordings on filesharing networks I see nothing new here to argue about.

C'mon everybody its so old that the 1980's just called asking for the argument back! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Taping_Is_Killing_Music

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If people are playing your stuff, just be thankful whether you've been paid or not. After all isn't it what those in the arts including journalists want more than anything, adulation ?

Music biz, get this, it's no longer the 70s where you can nail the Peoples hats on for the price of an LP or the 90s for a CD. The recorded stuff is your promo material to get bums on seats to watch you play live, this is the new reality. Music is far better enjoyed live anyway, don't buy the album, buy the ticket or if you can't afford that then go and see something local that's either free or near free as there are plenty of excellent acts out there who aren't famous.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Andrew goes on holiday or wherever and his first article is on his favourite whinges, copyright and Google. Jeez change the record or if you want a real pop at Google that your readers might actually care about such as haven't you noticed latest Google Earth* now requires you to have Chrome installed ?

*there is a 7.3 but that's EC and Pro.

Is this article ghost written by the BPI, MPAA and RIAA ?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon