back to article Men charged with theft of free newspapers

Two men have been charged with theft for allegedly helping themselves to bundles of free newspapers from London Bridge railway station. The two South London men are said to have pinched bundles of the London Evening Standard, a freesheet, edited by former Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne, that is handed out to …

Page:

1. Peter27x

The paper isn't really free, it's paid for by the advertising companies. The assumption is that every paper handed out will be read by at least one person, and thus the fee set for the advertising space.

If those bundles of papers are now not going to be each read by at least one person, there is a lost to the companies advertising.

Of course I'm not going to lose much sleep over that, but still would be a monetary value.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If we absolutely HAVE to talk sensible about it for a moment (wrong place IMHO, but I'll go along with it for a moment) I would observe that this event would probably better have been dealt with with a warning unless it was frequently occurring (which we don't know).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The assumption is that every paper handed out will be read by at least one person, and thus the fee set for the advertising space."

As news has a limited life then presumably the newspapers are withdrawn after a few days? Newsagents used to return unsold newspapers - presumably for a refund. Do advertisers also get a rebate for unsold copies - if not then are the newspaper owners taking money under false pretenses?

3. TheVogon

It's advertised as free at the point of consumption. I think they might have trouble getting a theft charge to stick...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It's advertised as free at the point of consumption."

Unless it's printed on rice paper consuming it seems a bad idea.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The paper isn't really free, it's paid for by the advertising companies. The assumption is that every paper handed out will be read by at least one person, and thus the fee set for the advertising space."

True. But the public (including the accused*) aren't party to the agreements so why should they be bound by them?

*Unless they're running the sort of circulation-boosting scam mentioned elsewhere.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

Sounds familiar!

I was once bounced from a pub\bar for taking a "FREE" poster of the band that was playing at the establishment. That was many moons ago, I seem to remember the bouncer being a mite shorter than me and having the little man syndrome...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is England. We use common sense here.

"Theft by taking", will be the charge.

Hardly common sense.

Instead, it gets taken to a recycling centre, who will then either smash it up, shred it, or SELL it to you, so you can use it and throw it away again.

As for the rag in question, it is not even fit to wipe my arse on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is England. We use common sense here.

"Theft by taking", will be the charge.

How else can you commit theft?

1. herman

"How else can you commit theft?" By copying a song/tune, leaving the original intact.

1. qwertyuiop

You can commit "theft by finding":

Theft by finding occurs when someone who chances upon an object which seems abandoned and takes possession of the object but fails to take steps to establish whether the object is abandoned and not merely lost or unattended. - Wikipedia

For example, if you take something from a skip (dumpster for our American cousins) because you think it's worth having then technically you can be charged with theft by finding - even though the original owner clearly no longer wants it. You're supposed to ask the owner's permission before you take it.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You can commit "theft by finding":

"Theft by finding occurs when someone who chances upon an object which seems abandoned and takes possession of the object but fails to take steps to establish whether the object is abandoned and not merely lost or unattended. - Wikipedia"

OK, but simply finding it isn't an offence. You have to take it as well :-)

2. TheVogon

"By copying a song/tune, leaving the original intact."

NO. That's copyright infringement, which is not theft under law or otherwise. Common misconception though thanks to recording / movie industry propaganda.

Here, let me help you understand the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFNKw2nYG9A

2. tedleaf

Theft by finding..

4. Mark 78

Sounds like a prank news story

Something doesn't seem right with this story. Are we sure it is genuine? I can only find one other place that has run it (a US website), the names don't seem genuine, and it has general feel of a spoof story trying to see who will run it.

Although I'm prepared to be proved wrong, as I usually am whenever I think that the world can't really be that stupid.

5. Tronald Dump

Not free to take, en masse

Given away, shirley

6. mark l 2 Silver badge

How is prosecuting this a useful use of our criminal justice system. Which bozo at the CPS told the police to go ahead and charge? Unless they were well know to the police before but alway got off for lack of evidence and this time they were caught red handed. But as others have pointed out, if they are taking something that is given away free, have they broken the law by taking them all?

7. PabloGuero

They stole from the advertisers

My feeling is that these two men stole from the advertisers who paid money for their message to reach an audience. Compensate the advertisers and be done with it.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. grumpyoldeyore
    Joke

Verification

Usually I would read about these cases in the "Courts" section of the London Evening Standard, but today I can't find a copy anywhere.....

10. Richard 12 Silver badge

My wild guess is they were distributors

If they were being paid to distribute them and decided to dump them in the recycling instead, that's fairly clearly theft.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My wild guess is they were distributors

Can't see how that would be theft. Pretty sure it would be breach of contract and a civil matter.

11. Anguilla

HK$10 South China Morning Post for free for many years!

Many years ago, I found that I was receiving an apparently "free" copy of the local "South China Morning Post".

I lapped it up, reading it before the usually one day late "The Register" arrived in my e'mail box.

Then I got qualms that, one day, I'd be lumbered with a massive newspaper bill.

The SCMP has gone from what I now reckon was a paltry HK$1 in the late '70s, to its grossly inflated HK$10 nowadays..... But I digress.....

I finally tackled the newspaper delivery office who also delivered SWMBO's "Ming Pao" Chinese squiggle-talk newspaper at the same time - and they calmed my fears by saying that my "free" SCMP was one of many freely handed out to bloat the SCMP's "Circulation figures".

How they also justified the free handing out the weekend edition of the "Financial Times" - I didn't bother to try to find out !!

Having spent ~20 years owning an up-market flat, I'm rather loath to sell up & move elsewhere, I'm afraid that the "free" SCMP will never re-appear!

12. tedleaf

There is also the charge of "theft by finding" a woman was recently charged with that when she found a ten pound note,because she just stuck it in her purse without making any effort to report it or find the owner.

What used to happen was you took to a police station,if nobody claimed it in 6 weeks,you could apply for it to be given to you,but police corruption stopped most folk from doing so and now most police stations will not handle even valuable items,like a purse with bank cards and obvious id,the police now expect you to return it,me I walk in to cop shop,drop items on counter and leg it quickly,otherwise you are there answering questions for hours and then get accused of theft !!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon