back to article Robot lands a 737 by hand, on a dare from DARPA

An outfit called Aurora Flight Sciences is trumpeting the fact that one of its robots has successfully landed a simulated Boeing 737. Aviation-savvy readers may well shrug upon learning that news, because robots – or at least auto-landing systems - land planes all the time and have done so for decades. Aurora's excitement is …

Page:

1. CentralCoasty
    Alert

And the OS is?

Sorry, cant resist it, but when they get to production level will they ship with M$ XP?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great

Now the good folks in 1st class can dine with the Captain, like they do on a cruise.

"Who's the first officer Captain?"

"No it's WATTS" on first.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Great

No, What's on SECOND. I Don't Know's on THIRD.

3. Disgruntled of TW

Nice beaver ...

Will this device be able to stuff it itself?

4. baron

First congratulations to the programmers for this achievement.

Now, when I read the headline, I figured the robot was actually flying the plane by hand. It was using the autopilot. Big deal. So it spun an airspeed dial and pulled the throttles back to reverse. The plane already has an auto-land and used it to land the plane. That is where the real work is.

I will say, its going to be a real long time before the general public will take an airliner with 160 passengers without two pilots. Two pilots are their to make sure that each decision that is made is a good decision. One brain fart, or bad decision could kill a lot of people. Look at how many times planes have landed at the wrong airport. And, that's with two pilots!

Andy

1. Charles 9

Some would say a machine would make a better second opinion than a human, as pilots tend to become chummy, causing confirmation bias. Much harder to do with a machine, particularly one programmed outside the pilot's control.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like