back to article Microsoft promises twice-yearly Windows 10, O365 updates – with just 18 months' support

Microsoft's explained how often it intends to offer “feature updates” to Windows 10: twice a year in March and September. That schedule will bring Windows 10 into line with the update schedule already used by Office 365 ProPlus. Knowing when updates will land is useful. But Microsoft's announcement says “Each Windows 10 …

Page:

1. 40k slimez

"Re-install from scratch"

2. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

can't install the Anniversary update?

consider yourself lucky.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"refuses to install the Anniversary update"

There's no rush. I have a test PC (so it is an almost pristine installation with no apps) that successfully installed the Creators Update and promptly refused to shut down. Whether it be shutdown, restart, safe mode, whatever, any attempt to turn the system off just got stuck at the annoying circle of dots, requiring a hard power-off (and consequent disc corruption) to actually turn off.

So it's unusable and I've reverted to the previous disc image. I don't care, because it's a test PC and I *have* the previous disc image. But if I were a normal user, with valuable data on my PC and probably inadequate backups, the Win10 policy of forced updates would have borked the machine and there is frankly almost nothing that Joe User can do about this because a PC that isn't connected to the internet isn't useful to Joe User.

4. Captain DaFt

"None of the solutions offered by MS have worked and they have helpfully suggested I backup my personal data and then nuke the machine and start again..."

Oh pshaw. Just call them back about an hour later, and say, "Thanks for the advice, Backed up my data, nuked the system, and installed Linux Mint. It works great now!"

Then hang up.

(BTW, don't really have to install Linux, just say you did.) ☺

5. TheVogon

"Will that be their advice to anybody, twice yearly, who can't get an update to install?"

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter from here:

https://aka.ms/wudiag

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two machines on windows 10. The one on virtual box won't update at all, just gets stuck during the update with no error message. The other on its own ssd, updated but left a 58gb temporary file mini dump, and kept loosing the panel.

Linux mint - no update problems ever on 3 systems. Says it all really.

2. bitten
    Coat

It's about money right? Nothing technical to those updates it's just a way to implement a Microsoft tax.

Already today, for a small company updating computers make 50%+ of the money go to Microsoft. But people could wait 7 years to do that, not anymore.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Brilliant

"It's about money right? Nothing technical to those updates it's just a way to implement a Microsoft tax.

Already today, for a small company updating computers make 50%+ of the money go to Microsoft. But people could wait 7 years to do that, not anymore."

Exactly ! They'll divide the effort of generating patches for the 100s of holes of their code base by probably 10, while "streamlining" the flow of Revenue for W10 and whatever paying add-ons (add-blockers ?) are coming.

Meanwhile, on the field, all customers will spend shit load of Money updating their apps for the next cutover.

Fucking brilliant.

/sarcasm

3. johnnyblaze

Don't worry, the next Windows 10 update will ship in September. MS don't care about quality anymore - they'll push any half-finished crap out the door. One of the side-effects of this 'as a service' delivery is that it also keeps them at the forefront of tech news. Some websites exist just to get all gooey over the 3 Insider builds a week they get, thinking MS actually care. Trust me, they don't.

1. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

so twice a year..

we get the fun and excitement of having various drivers not working quite right? Play Guess The Failure twice yearly! yay!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm conflicted.

on one side, I'm hearing Microsoft say "we don't care about the stability of business users or the expenses and effort they'll now waste to keep even their base OS current."

on the other side, as an IT employee,I'm thinking "whoo hoo! regular paid overtime!"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

costly wipe and replace

"made large-scale, costly wipe-and-replace Windows deployments every few years a thing of the past."

*cough*bullshit*cough*

1. stephanh

Re: costly wipe and replace

Well, the "every few years" will indeed be a thing of the past. It will be "every f*cking year" from now on.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsucks is comical

Apparently Microsucks falsely believes they will still exist as a company in 2020. NOT !

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Microsucks is comical

They'll probably exist, since they have a very large cash pile to run down. (Hey, if SCO can keep coming back years after the money ran out, MS will probably outlive all of us!)

What they won't have is any real products, just the fat-client-as-a-service thing. And since business likes to amortise hardware over more than a few months, they will soon find that they have a fat-client-for-thinning-customers thing.

7. TRT Silver badge

I'm sure that our director of change management...

will be loving this. He loves a bit of change for change's sake.

8. Polardog

Urgh Microsoft are just so scummy.

When i can be bothered i am deleting my final win 7 machine.

9. tygrus.au

Endless cycle of break it and we might fix it

Updates in them and of themselves are not the problem but why does Microsoft have a habit of "First break it and then we might get around to finishing the fixing later". Why do they delete and re-write code of products aiming for big changes then leave it looking like unfinished Uni projects prior to release? They should adopt the doctors' oath of "First, do no harm". A lot of the Linux community are more careful and acknowledge the benefits of keeping backwards compatibility and leave beta testing for beta releases not production releases. If Linus was in charge of Microsoft could you imagine the verbal spray each engineer would get if they continued the same poor MS coding behaviour.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like