back to article Prisoners' 'innovative' anti-IMSI catcher defence was ... er, tinfoil

Prisoners at a Scottish jail evaded an IMSI catcher deployed to collar them making illegal phone calls – by putting up tinfoil after bungling guards left the spy gear visible to inmates. “As you are also aware the invisible grabber at HMP Shott [sic] was visible,” Maurice Dickie of the Scottish Prison Service wrote in an …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: cold turkey

Comment Of The Week, right there

1. lukewarmdog

Chances are, if you can see tinfoil up in a cell, that person has a phone and you should search the cell.

You could surely make a positive out of this cockup.

1. Charles 9

Unless, of course, the pillow or a blanket's between the catcher and the tinfoil. Prisoners quickly become experts at lines of sight.

2. HartyMan

From what I have been told by prevous guest at HMS SPS Shotts , They charge the phones by hooking them up to the lights. How they do this, I don't know.

3. Stevie

Bah!

So to recap:

invisible stalker installation - f*cked up.

email redaction - f*cked up.

Would it be jejune on the strength of this nought-for-two performance to call for a head count to confirm that there are actually any prisoners inside this gaol?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not So

"They are used extensively in America, where law enforcement agencies must apply for a court warrant to use them."

They are using the devices without warrants.

5. Trumpet Winsock

New Build Houses

There's a new house being built just around the corner and I noticed that the thermal insulation they are using between the blocks and the traditional red brick outer skin has foil on one side.

Would this affect mobile phone reception?

6. Herby
    Joke

A solution??

Give the inmates Galaxy 7's and let nature take its course. Sounds like a plan to me!

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet!

No, jammers aren't the solution. Just put a nice loud cell site in the prison and let it do location finding on the cell phones. Shunt the ones INSIDE to a nasty recording. Seems very doable to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A solution??

They have. Problem is collateral damage since most jails (or is it gaols) are next to residences, meaning someone living next to a prison could get caught up in it: false accusations and all.

And this is no joke.

7. arctic_haze
    Facepalm

A simple solution

Unban the phones.

8. The Vociferous Time Waster

Faraday

If only prisons could be surrounded by a high, earthed, metal mesh. Some sort of fence should do the trick.

1. Charles 9

Re: Faraday

You'd have to cover overhead, too. Impractical or they'd be using it to prevent air drops.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re.

Interesting.

I did wonder why old phones always show up on Ebay and attract high prices.

In other news, seems that a certain 3G dongle which is now basically useless is *also* being utilized as a "klunge phone" (tm) by simple reprogramming of its embedded Flash chip and a convenient USB power source with the added benefit that IMEI can be "cycled" periodically using a lookup table harvested from similar dead phones known not to be in use.

I found a hidden serial port in all of mine and it does indeed have the full command set.

The "hack" is well documented on the dark web.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like