back to article Who do you want to be Who? VOTE for the BBC's next Time Lord

Peter Capaldi will demateralise as the 12th Time Lord this Christmas after four years. Capaldi was cast as Doctor Who by franchise owner the BBC in 2013 but will bow out with a regeneration during this year's Christmas special. Regenerations are always a reflective and throat-tightening event. Thanks, BBC – there goes my …

Page:

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

With a moronic and clichéd comment like that, it's genuinely impossible to tell if you are a bot.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Black, Lesbian, disabled migrant should tick all the BBC's boxes."

Excellent, if you can point to such an actress, then that's the one.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"Black, Lesbian, disabled migrant should tick all the BBC's boxes."

Excellent, if you can point to such an actress, then that's the one.

Liz Carr (Clarissa Mullery - Silent Witness). British born but otherwise scores three out of four

And I bet there are more. Not sure if I should be ashamed of not knowing who they would be or can put that down to not classifying people by such attributes.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's racist, heterophobic and discriminatory to able people but it's ok the other way round.

1. Moosh
    Angel

I'm not quite sure who I would like to play the Doctor

But I do know I would quite like some decent writing.

1. C Yates

Re: I'm not quite sure who I would like to play the Doctor

Thank god someone said this!

The last two doctors would have been brilliant if it were not for the writing - a very patchy affair.

I hope to god that Capaldi's regeneration isn't as crap as Matt Smiths! (Such an anti-climax!)

2. Oliver Mayes

My vote would go to Dylan Moran.

3. John 110

Bill Bailey or Paul Hollywood (he could stare down a Dalek singlehanded)

Or I could probably free up some time in my schedule...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lily Savage

5. adnim

Jason Statham

I am not sure if I am joking ;-)

1. Known Hero

Re: Jason Statham

Wow !! Actually you're onto something here.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ewan Bremner

...let's face it, Spud would make a cracking Dr.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Ewan Bremner

Spud? Greg Wallace!

7. Dave Pickles

Thirteen?

I thought Time Lords were limited to 12 regenerations. Didn't The Master have to do something terrible to achieve his thirteenth? Of course I stopped watching Dr Who when I left Uni in the 1970s so maybe they've found a way round the limit.

1. RealBigAl

Re: Thirteen?

They did. David Tennant had a throwaway line in the Sarah Jane adventures that the 12 limit was just something he'd made up on the spur of the moment.

2. Oliver Mayes

Re: Thirteen?

The Timelords gave The Doctor a new set of regenerations in Matt Smiths final episode.

8. Christian Berger

Maybe someone from the cast of "Selling Hitler"

It already has Tom Baker and Peter Capaldi in it. Maybe we could retroactively make that series the one with the most "Doctors". :)

9. Kaltern

I'd like to simply not know until he actually regenerates. It's a bit stupid to announce the actor prior to the scene we now now is going to happen. I don't even understand why the BBC feel the need to release the information that an actor is leaving and a new one is coming.. probably so we can WATCH IT. Please. Watch it, we need the viewing figures...

1. ThomH

I believe it's (i) a courtesy to the departing actor, who doesn't need to be coy about seeking work; and (ii) a convenient opportunity for marketing.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Idris Elba

Bring a sense of latent menace to the good doctor.

11. qwarty

Next Timelord

I'd like to see a female timelord as the lead character.

Not a regeneration of the Doctor. A new character (the Doctor himself can be lost for a while).

That way we dispose of much of the baggage of the Doctors personal history and avoid the embarassing suggestion that a woman needs a few thousand years of experience living as a man before she can cut it as a superhero.

1. Kimo

Re: Next Timelord

I always wanted Romanadvoratrelundar to have her own series. In the current Whoverse, there is a female Doctor clone running around that we never hear from...

1. WonkoTheSane

She does, in the Big Finish audio plays. They did 8 seasons about her presidency of Gallifrey

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"I'd like to see a female timelord as the lead character."

But all the other time lords are dead, which makes it a bit hard without major reboots.

1. Brad Ackerman
        Alien

But all the other time lords are dead, which makes it a bit hard without major reboots.

So were the Daleks, and we all know how well the Doctor genocided them.

1. Another Brick

What about the Doctor's daughter ?

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I'd like to see a female timelord as the lead character.

Not a regeneration of the Doctor. A new character (the Doctor himself can be lost for a while)."

Strangely, long before I got to your comment, I was thinking maybe drop Who for a year or so and do a River Song spin-off series. She is, effectively, a female "doctor" in that she's sorta part timelord even if she did give up her remaining regenerations to save The Doctor,

Or maybe an Ashilda and Clara spin-off. Last seen flying off into space/time in an american diner.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoopi Goldberg

Whoopi Goldberg

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Whoopi Goldberg

Well if you're going to be facetious, Why not Zoidberg?

(Hmm, a non human incarnation... Hmm... Nah!)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hugh Laurie ?

Just a thought...

1. Tom 7

Re: Hugh Laurie ?

as a wooster doctor?

1. dikkeoembah
        Trollface

Doctor House...

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Hugh Laurie as a Wooster doctor

PERFECT!

2. chuckrman

I rather like him as a choice.

14. Ironclad

Olivia Coleman or Doon Mackichan

Gah, you teased me with Olivia Coleman but didn't give her as a vote option. Probably got bigger fish to fry. Failing that Doon Mackichan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0533489/?ref_=tt_cl_t4 currently in Two Doors Down on the BBC) would make an excellent Doctor Who. Just needs a handsome assistant.

15. Alister

Affording the chance for change is new writing talent: Steven Moffat, who's been on board since the 2005 Christopher Ecclestone reboot, is off and in comes Chris Chibnal, writer of ITV's dark crime drama Broadchurch.

Come on Gavin, not one mention of Russell T Davies? If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't have been a revival at all.

16. dc_m

How about going old school with Patrick Stewart or Sir Ian Mckellan

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

If 2016 is any indicator, they'll both be dead by June for deeply unfair reasons.

17. Kimo

1. Martin Clunes. Can do comedy and be a right asshole.

2. James and Oliver Phelps. Ginger this time. Twice.

3. Ingrid Oliver. Osgood? Osgood. Osgood who?

18. Dr. G. Freeman

Ben Whishaw- Q from the new bond films

or

Natalie Dormer, if we do have to have a female doctor.

But please not Dr Maggie Peacock, from the Sky at Night (she fits all the PC ticky boxes if it were a ticky box exercise)

Although some of the professional geeks I know are saying Sacha Dhawan.

19. Black Rat

I think Idris Elba could work then again so could the return of Catherine Tate, it's a timey whiney meta crisis thing. But if you really want to mess with your head... is Paul Darrow (Avon of Blakes7) still about?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"...is Paul Darrow (Avon of Blakes7) still about?"

Yes. And he was playing Avon for Big Finish audio books in The Liberator Chronicles just a few years ago. And I just discovered he played the part of Sam Vimes in Guards! Guards!, the touring play in 1998!

1. WonkoTheSane

He did indeed. I saw him in the part in Stoke-On-Trent.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Honestly - how is The Hoff not an option?

21. Blofeld's Cat

Hmm...

I feel that Eddie Izzard would make a good Doctor.

He's played some wonderful parts (such as "Torrence" in Day of the Triffids), over the years, many with that dark, ambiguous edge needed by the Doctor.

22. benderama

Lets give Tom Baker another run at it. After all, who knows?

Coat

"Lets give Tom Baker another run at it. After all, who knows?"

Or Colin Baker!

Yes, the slightly overstated one ---------------->

23. Graham Cobb Silver badge

Rory Kinnear

The best "Iago" I have seen. He would make a masterful Doctor.

Re: Rory Kinnear

I always think of his dad when his name is mentioned. For the life of me I can never remember what Rory looks like because I get the mental image of Roy.

1. WonkoTheSane

Re: Rory Kinnear

Ask google to show you, and you'll realise you weren't far off. He DOES take after his dad quite a bit!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like