back to article How Rogue One's Imperial stormtroopers SAVED Star Wars and restored order

It’s on: the fight over Rogue One or Force Awakens. Which was better? Which has the best bad character - is it calculating Commander Orson Krennic or bratty Kylo Ren? The better Death Star? Best action sequences? Droids? Haul up a chair, grab a drumstick: heads down for the sci-fi nerd Christmas lunch showdown. Sure, blast …

Page:

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Windows

Re: How many Stormtroopers does it take to...?

Well, in Dune (the novel!) Sardaukar, the emperor's praetorian guard, immediately turn up in a "we officially strongly deny the presence of" role and are suddenly very interested in going up against these Fremen guys who are the only ones in the universe on challenger-worthy badass levels (I think they were thinking about some genocide operation lest there be competition but didn't get that far before a shift at the top occurred)

Jimbo's inpho stuffing service has more.

Frankly, none of this is meant for a family-friendly Star Wars universe. Imperial super-soldiers vs. rebel super-ISIS, probably all on drugs and behaving like rabid dogs? Nah. I would LOVE to see Fish Speakers though...

2. Snark

Re: How many Stormtroopers does it take to...?

The Empire is a very large organisation, everyone knows the middle-management block any and all training requests. Those poor Empire storm troopers are wondering who they are reporting to in the latest re-org and as for those training requests they put in to learn how to use the new blaster? Forget it, they've been given an online video telling them which way to point it and are wondering when they are going to get outsourced.

The Rebels however are that trendy startup that has the self-taught, highly motivated elites who have options in the new world order and know the only way to get paid is to give it everything.

Hold on, new email from the Empire. Apparently there is a new video on how to be "agile". Must be to stop everyone tripping over their armour.

1. Joe Gurman

Finally

After 33 years, we finally get a Star Wars movie that's true to the original vision of the force we got in Star Wars (no, not A New Hope, I mean the one where Han shot first) and The Empire Strikes Back. The Force is something everyone can share in not just prospective Jedi knights with a rare blood condition. Consider me corny and old-fashioned, but that, and the willingness to [spoiler deleted] every last character you care about, to demonstrate they were serious about their business, make this the best one yet. "I am one with the Force. The Force is with me."

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Finally

I did like that we get only one short bit of light-sabre swinging in the the entire film, and it's scarcity makes it look so much more cool.

After an entire film of more or less normal people shooting at each other, to see a single character breeze through half a dozen opponents, making it look easy, even showing off a bit, really emphasises quite how powerful the Force is.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Finally

Han did shoot first in A New Hope. Lucas started messing around with that scene in the 1997 version carried on messing round with it in every release since until Disney took it off his hands.

2. Eduard Coli

Times change

Stormtroopers in ANH were an elite troop type but have devolved into blaster practice.

3. JustNiz

IMHO it was better than The Force Awakens, but thats not exactly a high bar to reach. I though there wasn't enough back story and the battle scene was way too long/predictable/boring.

I just wish they would flesh out the everyday lives of people in the universe far more, and we could have a star wars movie that finally goes beyond the formula of a 30 minute batltle scene inevitably culminating in the hero alone blowing up a deathstar/deathstar 2/planet turned into a deathstar/base with plans to the deathstar

4. ArtFart

"How many Stormtroopers does it take to...

...make the Empire great again?"

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: "How many Stormtroopers does it take to...

Stormtroopers, nah. You need nukes for that. Lotsa nukes.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have you hugged a stormtrooper today?

Why not? Have a heart, it's Christmas FGS!

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

a battle between humanity and the very, very bad guys.

Isn't the empire supposed to humanity against all the aliens and those wussy humans who like aliens? A sort of "master race" plan?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: a battle between humanity and the very, very bad guys.

Not really. Even the Sith are alien.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: a battle between humanity and the very, very bad guys.

Also, the Emperor looks Jewish.

7. MonkeyCee

Vader

It had proper bad guys. Who are scheming against each other, which adds to their depth.

Had decent action sequences, and (IMHO) a proper character arc for the protagonists. If you attempt a suicidal mission against all odds than success still involves you all dying in the process. Which the protagonists accept, don't spend their time whining about, so their deaths have some gravitas. Rather than some redshirt or Sean Bean dying at the end of act 1 and everyone else lives happily ever after. Duty heavy as iron and all that.

Still has the usual issues with the fairy tale of the US. Plucky (American) rebels against evil (British) empire, evil empire is super evil for no point other than to justify chaos caused by rebels. Wheras for most non-USians the empire is pretty clearly the US, with it's super CV being taken out by the equivalent of a zodiac with a limpet mine, and plenty of oppressing brown people in sandy countries.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: Vader

" Still has the usual issues with the fairy tale of the US. "

Not proven. The rag-tag bunch of soldiers fighting on the South Pacific-inspired beaches were wearing uniforms that were ambiguous in whether they were modelled on US or Japanese uniforms. Two of the main fighters in the battle were oriental martial artists, and another pivotal figure was of Middle Eastern extract. And then the real biggie is that there were two Death Star explosions, and not on a planet scale. You can justify the lack of planet scale explosions by continuity (Tarkin using Alderaan as a test for the weapon), but it also gives a much slower, expanding explosion, and in the context of two such explosions, we see something that really doesn't send out the "Team US, heroes of the world" message you think it does.

2. The Indomitable Gall

Re: Vader

Oh... not forgetting that the first member of the Rebel Alliance we saw, who happened to get more screen time than any other, was Mexican. These are not the "USA great" droids you are looking for.

8. Stuart Elliott

Two things bothered me

Watched it last night at the local IMAX, thoroughly enjoyed it, but two things bothered me, firstly, was the the lack of theme tune at the start, I saw the "A long time ago" and closed my eyes in preparation for the spine-tingling crescendo , but was denied, bummed me out for a minute or two that!

Secondly was at the other end of the film, and the poor CGI of Leia, it was completely unnecessary and bad to be honest, they did well with Tarkin though, even if the voice was off.

Windows

Re: Two things bothered me

> the lack of theme tune at the start

No this is EXACTLY CORRECT. The fanfare stuff is so laden with Lucas letdown events that it wouldn't have been appropriate. It tells you "this is new!".

> poor CGI of Leia

People complain about this but in the end it's not so bad. It can pass for the couple of seconds and triggers the uncanny valley effect, same as for Tarkin really. But in the end, it's not worse than bluescreen leftovers in movies of old.

Now, let the management types of the Empire run the Death Star with no designers and no plans. Idiots from the Coruscant Imperial MBA churn institute...

1. Allan George Dyer

Re: Two things bothered me

"Now, let the management types of the Empire run the Death Star with no designers and no plans."

I recall from ANH that the Empire completed an analysis and also discovered the weakness, so therefore they still had the plans. Therefore, there was an offsite backup, or DR site, for the archives on Scarif.

I'm guessing that the consultants who completed the analysis made sure they were safely on a shuttle for home before the project team delivered the unfavourable report to top management...

9. DaveNullstein

I preferred last years film. It was a blatant homage to the first movie but it worked and I smiled.

Rouge 1 just feels like just another CGI action/comic book movie. It raised more questions than it answered. The multi-cultural cast was good (if not calculated for global profit) but not the story.

But then none of the Star Wars stories are truly good. We are all chasing the nostalgic dreams of our adolescent selves.

10. BartVDE

The stormtroopers aim explained...

On the subject of stormtrooper accuracy, I am of the opnion that they were shooting pretty well in R1... I noticed them hitting and killing stuff all through the film.

at one point though... you see the monk chanting his force prayer while advancing... and all shots miraculously miss him... this same phenomenon was repeated by the mercenary... using the same chant/mantra.

This makes me think the Force is passively protecting its users by bending the laserbeams to miss... and why in the other movies, where even more force wielding characters are active, the stormtroopers are even worse shots...

im sure the troopers themselves are just as confused about why their shots miss...

the force is all around us.

11. fandom

I have to say I was terribly disappointed watching the film.

For some reason I thought it was going to be great, I went to the theater expecting to love it.

This is the first time a Star Wars movie has bored me, the ewoks, Jar Jar, the wretched Lucas dialogue may have been eye rolling, but not boring.

Yes, there were times where X-Wings made me smile and the like but really by the time the final battle started I was hoping for all the characters to die so they wouldn't be in another movie.

Like in the first scene, the parents talk about the plan they had, I don't even want to think about what they would have done if they had had to improvise.

And really, what was the Asian character about? It looked to me they piled all the Asian character cliches they could find into him, he felt like a parody of a parody. He and his sidekick were worse than the ewoks and I can hardly believe I am writing that.

And usually I root for comic relief characters but, except for the droid, I found most of the jokes eye rolling.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

~Rojjer~Rojjer~

> I found most of the jokes eye rolling.

That's the problem with droids. Their humor circuits are still very experimental.

12. Kaltern

Well, lets hope we have Carrie Fisher around for the next movie. :(

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. el_oscuro
          Unhappy

I found out about an hour before seeing the movie. I didn't even realize the scene at the end was CG.

2. PrivateCitizen
      Unhappy

Sadly, very sadly, this request has been denied.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2017 - the EU strikes back

Ho hum,

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Death star plans...

Being a bit bored while watching, I couldn't help but notice that the Empire's data backup cartridges were quite chunky things, but when Leia was given the Death Star plans they fitted onto a much more svelte gold disk thingy. It's nice to know that the rebels have much better archive storage media than the Empire!

(Also, who the hell puts a data upload terminal on the outside of a tower, half a mile high? No wonder there was no danger of reactor cooling design flaws being noticed.)

Coat

Re: Death star plans...

If you want to go down that route...

> Why is the dish control panel on an outrigger away from the dish, exposed to weather and wind? (It's like I'm really playing Myst: Empire)

> Why can one jump into Hyperspace from inside Jedda atmosphere with planetary mantle rocks hanging around everywhere? (Also: Jedda is finished. That looked like an extinction event. Some mining accident!)

> Why can one jump out of Hyperspace precisely in front of Skarif gate, but not go a hundred km further and emerge inside the shield, giving imperials facepalm moments?

> Why does Vader's personal stardestroyer (is that like Heydrich's personal pocket battleship?) not get mangled as it arrives and bumps a rebel fregate? These stardestroyers are fragile (not unexpected).

It's a fantasy movie!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

> If you want to go down that route...

When the pilot has to run that cable from some sort of comms cabinet to the shuttle on the landing pad, they should have had him plug the huge Imperial standard data port connector into a dongle and then plug the dongle into a solitary USB-C connector on his laptop. :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Indeed.

CABLE seemed to be a WWII-era brit-issued asbestos-fabric-clad contraption working at 30V/-30V for 50-baud/s teletype transmission. Or something.

It should have been a barely visible fiber optic link, which (as we know from Ghost in the Shell) can be routed to and plugged into "comms consoles" by pinky-sized autonomous robots.

But it looked good in a retro-future way.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's nice to know that the rebels have much better archive storage media than the Empire!

Eh!? Archive Storage is even today NOT done on some chink-brand 2043 GB Flash-USB device available for ONLY €7.99 TODAY from DealExtreme ....

The Empire has Standards!

16. Howard Hanek
    Facepalm

Whack a Mole

.......coming to a big screen near you. Hint: The bad guys are in white and the good guys wear dark robes.

Perhaps we should NOT clone soldiers after all. There appears to be serious deficiencies in their hand/eye coordination resulting in combat resembling ........whack a mole. This makes me wonder about the F-35 program costing out at $300 million per.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All later Star Wars films are average.

Why? Because they do not introduce new elements; they try to live off an already established formula. Where are the the major twists? Where are the new concepts such as the “force”? Where are the amazing visual effects that are cutting edge? None of these things happen in Star Wars anymore. It’s more of the same – the new films need to push the boundaries in the same way as the originals. They are simply made now to make money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All later Star Wars films are average.

1) Where are the new concepts

If you into the theater to see a "sequel" (and worse, a "prequel") you are specifically NOT looking for "new concepts"

2) Where are the amazing visual effects that are cutting edge

You may want to go back to the 90s to experience the "fresh". It's more or less settled now.

3) They are simply made now to make money.

Films made by people from Médecins sans Frontières to show what's going down under an AC-130 gunship can be watched elsewhere

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Force Awakens vs Rogue One

For me, TFA was a better film than Rogue One. I get the drive for "dark" but I've never thought that added value to Star Wars. If you want gritty, depressing realism watch the news. If you want escapist space opera, watch Star Wars.

On a side note, the Jeddah City ambush on the Storm Troopers pretty squarely cements the relationship between the Rebellion and certain middle eastern terrorist groups.....

19. Belardi16

Here in the USA... we Americans have to be the resistance, the rebels against the incoming fascists leader who has the fascists house and Senate to back him up. Yeah, a lot of us are worried that this insane person is going to start nuclear exchanges. If not in the USA, perhaps somewhere.

The empire is the bad guy. The russian puppet is the bad guy. Taking away the rights of Americans makes them THE BAD GUYS. And its not just the USA under attack, our allies in Europe are under attack too. Learn from our stupidity! Briexit should have been a wake up call. If the EU and NATO collapses - things will go to shit very quickly on a global scale.

Holmes

> a lot of us are worried that this insane person is going to start nuclear exchanges

But Hillary wasn't elected?

> If the EU and NATO collapses - things will go to shit very quickly on a global scale.

If would say things would normalize rapidly. Liberventionist dreamland EU and its groupthink politicians and rabidly-looking-for-aggro NATO are just cancerous at this point in time.

You haven't even mentioned the Obamite ultra-clusterfucks "Syria" (I hear the CIA will now pump AA weapons in to bugger the Ruskies; I hope there will still be safe civilian flying in Europe in a year's time) and the "Pivot to Asia" (more like, "i'm down with da carrier action, I wanna see a china reaction")

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rogue One did not have the force in it...it was a boring and pointless endeavor just to earn Disney back the money it spent in buying Lucasfilms...only good part of the movie was Darth Vader...showing up in his dark no nonsense form. I am going to skip any side stories of Star Wars from now on...

21. enormous c word

Rogue 1 Wins

Agree: Rogue 1 (ep 3.5) beats Force Awakens (ep 7) Kylo Ren is just not intimidating as the bad guy, the other characters were pretty forgettable too. the storyline was just too busy and the StarKiller base overblown - why does anyone need the ability to destroy 5 planets simultaneously? Does 5 simultaneous planetary destructions really make a bigger statement than the ability to destroy one at a time?

I enjoyed ep7 but I loved ep 3.5

Things I missed in ep 3.5 - the opening sequence was disappointing - there is only one way to begin a Star Wars movie - rolling text to introduce the story and a big ship flying over head with a massive one following soon after.

The score didnt match up to the originals (or even the god awful prequels)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon