back to article Sysadmin told to spend 20+ hours changing user names, for no reason

Welcome again to On-Call, our regular Friday morning foray into readers' stories of being asked to do the right thing, for the wrong reason, at unspeakable times. This week, meet reader “Harold” who works as IT manager for an educational institution. Harold tells us that the institution has a simple scheme to allocate user …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Harold is now in the wrong on this.

- Presented with a bad idea from a superior and made a case against it - correct

- Refused to do it and left things in a 'stalemate' for months - so, so wrong

The correct course of action would be to formally log your objections and ensure that you have given an accurate estimate of the time it will take and the issues it will cause. If you are still instructed to do it (in writing) having provided this information, so be it. Do it. You have your get-out-of-jail-free card when it does all go wrong. If things go wrong, your get-out-of-jail-free card is ignored and you are punished, call a lawyer. If you can't deal with that, leave now.

The reality is that if the 2IC gives you an instruction, unless you are the 1IC, it is your responsibility to do it (bar stuff that is totally irresponsible/illegal to do). There could very well be reasons beyond your paygrade for being asked to do it that you are not aware of and it isn't your superior's responsibility to have to explain that to you. If Harold hasn't been fired yet, I expect it's because they're still looking for his replacement.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The problem here is that the task, while risky and stupid, is achievable.

A diligent and skilled SysAdmin (despite warnings of possible consequences should it go wrong) manages to complete the task without any major incident. Said 2IC then boasts of the success, which then gives him ideas on even more stupid and risky plans until eventually it does go all kablooey.

At which point the SysAdmin gets the blame for fucking it up this time.

2. GoodOldHarold

There's a slight error in the article - the person who's asked for a written statement and then sat on it is actually the 1IC, not the 2IC. That's why we're still here.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

" the person who's asked for a written statement and then sat on it is actually the 1IC, not the 2IC."

Which probably means he's waiting for it to happen and be fucked up so he can find an excuse to get rid of the 2IC - it can be surprisingly hard to get rid of mangkement at times.

2. gnasher729 Silver badge

"20 minutes per user? Like hell. Maybe several hours for ALL users..."

Everything is easy to the person who doesn't have to do the job.

3. Allan George Dyer
      Joke

"Any naming scheme will end in duplicates, it's unavoidable."

You've obviously never visited Hilbert's Hotel.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or just outsource it to 3rd party people like us who actually know what we're doing. That way he gets to effectively scapegoat us when it isn't exactly what management wanted. That kind of thing is common in schools.

5. MickySlice

Yes, let's bend over for every vanity project. To hell with any other important tech issues that arise.

Just because someone managed to blag their way to senior management, does not mean that they are qualified for the job.

Undertaking major changes to core systems on the whim of a boss is risky and sets a dangerous precedent.

I agree that the changes are do-able but if they don't want to engage in a proper project plan then be prepared for them to throw you under the bus the first chance they get.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Undertaking major changes to core systems on the whim of a boss is risky and sets a dangerous precedent."

I absolutely agree. What kind of precedent would it set if we all started doing what the Boss tells us to do!!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"What kind of precedent would it set if we all started doing what the Boss tells us to do!!"

IT's ultimate revenge is to carry out the request exactly as asked.

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Oh, and Harold's a twat:"

No, Harold knows full well that a mass renaming will be widely resented by the users and he's offering up every excuse he can to avoid it, also knowing full well that despite PHB (2IC) initiating this, IT will cop the blame and the flak.

1. barstewardsquad
    Joke

2IC's name

Is he named Andrew Ssangyong with no middle name/initial?

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: 2IC's name

The large US Corp that took over my small UK one eventually(*) imposed their standard for single sign on names which was the first 4 letters of the surname, followed by the first 2 letters of first name. (No idea what they did with all the SMITJOs.) One of our users became FELLCH because of this. Oh the fun explaining the problem with that to the US management. [Those who don't see the problem should consult the Urban Dictionary, although the entry has only one L.]

(*) After I'd worked my notice.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

We once had a director that decided that to avoid problems with duped usernames, we would use the first 4 letters of the first name, and the last four letters of the last name...

carlhell was one of the permutations... Don't ge me started on asian names which may have only 3 letters in the first and last name.... or worse yet only 2 letters...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Don't get me started on Asian names which may have only 3 letters in the first and last name.... or worse yet only 2 letters..."

Interesting read here: https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names

Worth pointing out to anyone who has ....erm...bright...ideas about naming schemes.

3. Glenturret Single Malt

The Burmese man I came across called U Nu.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Oh the fun explaining the problem with that to the US management. "

The term is the same there as here. The difference being that people in the backwater states may never actually have heard of it (or teabagging).

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Red Bren
        Pint

@Symon

You wouldn't need to add Mr Sting's name to the mail server. Although he admits his communication medium is unreliable and suffers from spam attacks.

Beer icon - my favourite thing in a bottle

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: And what about Sting, Cher and Bono

I seriously doubt that any one of those millionaires are ever going to have to deal with the hassle of any kind of Active Directory issue ever.

1. VinceH

Re: And what about Sting, Cher and Bono

Read the comment again, and look at a track listing for U2's The Joshua Tree.

2. lukewarmdog

The list is missing some very key points

13. database backups have to be done outside of office hours because everyone knows you can't back up databases whilst people are using them.

14. there are several databases that need backing up.

15. the actual switching over of user accounts following the backup has to be done outside office hours. Probably a weekend. You can't remote in to do this so the building will need to be open. This now involves at least a caretaker opening up for you and turning off the alarms. If you can get the caretaker to say they're not available, a senior member of staff may have to be inconvenienced. Won't work if your building is already 24/7 but worth a shot.

16. the risk matrix says doing this just before Xmas would be a bad idea, earliest point it can be done is the new year.

17. because of the size of the databases (you can pretend to discover this after you've been absolutely forced to do the work) means you need to order some new kit. At the very least some large external drives, possibly also some (additional) cloud storage, maybe even software. And if you really want to postpone the work, an industrial espionage proof top of the range secure laptop for backup storage and transportation. Also a fireproof safe to keep the laptop in. And one of those biometric eye-scanners to lock the room the safe containing the laptop is in.

18. in the unlikely event you get all that (because your boss is even more bloody minded than you are) or if you are forced to go ahead without all that kit (more likely) then do the work. Insist on overtime at the very minimum. And then, come Monday, make sure the system isn't ready and working. Prep a room as full of cables and flashing lights on important looking boxes as you can. Explain there's a hitch/problem/issue. You can keep this up for a while I'm sure. Once you've run out excuses then it's a question of time. Might be an hour.. might be a couple, the spinner / bar / countdown timer / other thing that might provide an idea of when it will be ready has stopped. Might be stuck on a large file or maybe the bandwidth is flooded.When there's absolutely nothing else you can do and you're being told to phone Microsoft/God/IT Support somewhere, make sure your support is in a time zone that isn't awake for several hours yet. That support may need to escalate several times. You can easily wait days for Canadian support to move from T1 to T3. If you're in Canada, make sure everyone knows your support is in Australia.

19. Always, always.. make sure you can put your own preferred system back on incredibly easily, after all the mess is because of management, you're the good guy in all of this.

3. thondwe

Got it easy

We have to rename users e.g. for Marriage + Religious Conversion (and many HR onboarding errors - grr!). But the knock on effect to 3rd party systems (Cloud) is a major PITB. Still failing to persuade the "powers that be" that a new user name format is need - basic don't change the value of DB Primary Key stuff

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Re: Got it easy

we have to rename users because the department mangers seem unable to submit a nre user request and speel the name correctly.

If I see a foreign name that looks tricky I now get them to double check the spelling before beginning!

4. Potemkine Silver badge

Mandatory Futurama Reference

here

5. Flash.Gordon

If you want stories of futile work then you need to talk to the armed forces. Most of what I did was pointless and there only to keep us busy and stop us getting bored and doing stupid things.

1. wyatt

Agreed, when I was in the R Signals there was plenty we could have done that would have been worthwhile but there was never the budget to do it. So we spent the time cleaning equipment that had got dusty since the last time it was cleaned of dust.

2. Wommit

"Most of what I did was pointless and there only to keep us busy and stop us getting bored and doing stupid things."

Sooo... They gave you stupid things to do, to stop you doing stupid things.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

never understood why they dont do that with firemen , rather than giving them snooker tables

1. Darryl

I don't know how many firemen are very good with administering AD though...

2. Pedigree-Pete

Retained Firemen...

..apparently, our retained (for retained see part-time at least in pay) provide a removals sevice for household moves. Nice.

6. Headley_Grange Silver badge

From a user's point of view...

Notwithstanding the PIA work in changing, from a user PoV I can see the sense in not having strict rules for email addresses. A couple of friends use their middle names because they hate their first names - so they are pissed off every day by having email addresses in their hated names due to company policy which just plucks names from the HR d/b and is cast in iron from that point on. A colleague who hails from somewhere east goes by his surname all the time, except with his mum, because his given name is about 30 characters long - yet in his first job his email address was namesurname@server.com. They had to change it eventually because back in the day some systems wouldn't take addresses >32 characters and, frankly, some people were ignoring the mails because they didn't know anyone called that.

For me, from a practical PoV, it's always good to be able to read the mail and see who it's going to by checking the email address. You know - when you're sending that sensitive mail and this time you really do check all the addresses individually (not the alias from the address book) before hitting send to avoid all that embarrassment (again).

1. Dr. Mouse

Re: From a user's point of view...

Strict naming conventions can be both a help an a hindrance. Automation loves it, up until it breaks.

However, these people do have an option available to them, the same one as my ex-wife took. Her employer insisted that their legal name be used on all official communications. Her given name was Christine, her grandmother's name, which she always felt was stuffy and old fashioned. Everyone called her Chrissy, but work wouldn't allow it... Until she changed her name by deed poll.

If you really hate your name, that's the best option. If you just dislike it and don't want the hassle, suck it up.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

If I remember this correctly, in UK common law your official name is simply that by which you are usually known, which does not have to be the one on your birth certificate. Regular use could be sufficient. An advert in the local paper puts an official seal on it and deed poll is not essential. However this tends not to hold much sway with the various organisations who demand proof of identity. I did a quick Google search which confirms some of this

See, https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/relationships/birth-certificates-and-changing-your-name/changing-your-name/

or https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-legally-change-your-surname-If-so-how-difficult-is-the-process

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Company I work for gives new hires a form for firstname, lastname and optional nickname. It's made clear that email addresses will be first.last unless a nickname is given, in which case it will be nick.last. Works very well, William Smith can be bill.smith if he prefers, an asian employee who has adopted a western first name can be correctly Yingtong Iddleipo in HR but susan.iddleipo in email, etc.

It still throws up some issues for cultures like France, where the tradition is to put LASTNAME,Firstname on forms and some people don't read the instructions, but...

1. wyatt

That does explain why return emails from a French support team always call people by the wrong name.. we thought they were just a bit stupid.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Don't get me started on why French bureaucracy insists on putting a space after "Mc" and then files "Mc Donald" under D, even when you clearly write it as one word...

1. Glenturret Single Malt

Historically, it means the same as "bin" as in Osama bin Laden.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Company I work for gives new hires a form for firstname, lastname and optional nickname."

What about clashes? Always assume they'll happen and be prepared.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What about clashes? Always assume they'll happen and be prepared.

They use middle initial, or x/y/z if there isn't one, so there'll be a bill.smith, bill.d.smith, bill.x.smith etc.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"use middle initial, or x/y/z if there isn't one, so there'll be... bill.x.smith"

Then a year later Bill Xavier Smith gets hired.

2. Glenturret Single Malt

Billy?

3. Gronk

I'm one of those people that go by their middle name. I haven't had any problems getting companies I've worked for to honor my preferences until the latest company I ended up at through a corporate acquistion. It took me four months to get them to correct the problem.

Whenever I have people that are expecting a baby tell me they are going to call their children by their middle names I tell them I know from personal experience that's nothing but trouble and if they want to call their child by a specific name then make that the child's first name.

7. Known Hero

You could consider refusing, under the statement that you are employed to keep their IT systems working in a optimal state, and this procedure could easily have unknown knock on effects.

I can at least imagine an increased workload from people not knowing their usernames for at least 2 months.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You could consider refusing

Won't work. These people tend to think they know better, as if, for instance, a degree in English Literature somehow magically also conveys the insight to have a clue about IT. I've seen it a lot.

I have my own comeback. I joined Mensa specifically to piss off such people* :)

* No, seriously. I've never really found another use for the membership. I'm not a clubby sort of person, nor do I think that being good at logic puzzles somehow elevates me above the crowd. There are people who do far more impressive things than me, and when helping them is when I really enjoy my profession.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I've never really found another use for the membership."

A colleague once tried to persuade me to join MENSA. Her selling pitch was that the part she belonged to had lots of orgies. I needed mind bleach after hearing that.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I just found it an interesting exercise. As a foreigner I'd never heard of them, and when someone suggested it I thought "oh well, why not" and just did the test, just out of curiosity. To me it wasn't a big deal (as I said before, I'm not big on chest thumping for belonging to a club), but it annoyed the guy I was working for and that made it worth it for a while.

As for your "invite" - I gather you didn't get her hint then?

(sorry, weekend and all that :) ).

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"As for your "invite" - I gather you didn't get her hint then?"

I suspect that's why the mind bleach was needed.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Joined when I was a young teenager ( a long long time ago) but when I met the other, mostly adult, members at meetings they were some of the dullest people you could imagine. Once they'd finished discussing their IQ scores they didn't seem to have anything to say. Still it got me my first visit away from home without my parents, all the way down to London - to the annual MENSA party or something of that sort. And I'm pretty sure if it had turned to an orgy I'd have noticed something (?)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like