back to article Information on smart meters? Yep. They're great. That works, right? – UK.gov

The UK government has insisted it is effectively communicating the benefits of its controversial smart meter programme – despite MPs having identified a "lack of clarity" over the "problem" the scheme is trying to solve. In its response to the committee’s “Evidence Check” report on smart meters in September, the government …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am freezing due to the replacement of my perfectly good gas fire with one which has a new safety feature. Use to be able to light with a match if the igniter failed. Now I have to wait for a replacement safety feature. Fully expected this. The more complex a system is, the more potential for failure.

I was offered a smart meter and refused it for this reason. Also, my supplier admits I am a frugal user ( JSA "heat or eat" category) and there is nothing more I can switch off. I think I am smart enough. Submitting a reading is no biggie either.

The real clincher is government consultation with those worms, the domestic spies at GCHQ. I expect it's really about how smart meters can be used to further compromise our privacy, rather than securing it.

2. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

"could leave the taxpayer out of pocket by £4.5bn"

I thought these suppliers were all private companies now.

3. Bill_Sticker

Smart meter downside

Increased Unit sensitivity for higher unit readings and bills - Check

New 'Smart' unit MTBF, @7 years instead of @25 for the old type - Check

Higher unit cost of each new meter going straight on your electric bill - Check

Higher costs of electricity because of Carbon taxation - Check

Can they really cut off your supply remotely? - Check

Hey, they're new and sparkly. So why does everyone suddenly look depressed?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smart Meters have been introduced as part of a much much bigger picture. Smart Grid!

The Smart Grid is expected to save millions, while allowing more renewable energy sources onto the grid.

5. This Side Up
    WTF?

Complete and utter bilge!

Consumer Engagement Strategy "has been informed by a range of UK and international evidence and seeks to drive uptake and support behaviour change to deliver maximum benefits for consumers from smart meters.”

Which tells me exactly nothing. Typical post-truth politician-speak.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon