back to article Microsoft can't tell North from South on Bing Maps

Microsoft has misplaced Melbourne, the four-million-inhabitant capital of the Australian State of Victoria. A search on Bing Maps for “Melbourne, Victoria, Australia” says the city is at 37.813610, 144.963100 which we've screen-captured above (or here for those reading our mobile site). The co-ordinates are right save for one …

Page:

1. Hans 1
      Windows

Re: Penguins

> I think we have now established that BING stands for "Because It's No Good".

I always thought it stood for "Bing Is No Good", after all, recursive acronyms are kewl ...

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And let's not forget the important military and public health consequences.

Based on Melbourne's new location, I think that an imminent kaiju attack is a definite risk. Are the Aussie armed forces and health services ready to deal with an attack by Godzilla, Mothra or Gamera? I don't think so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And let's not forget the important military and public health consequences.

If those guys try to attack Australia they'll get just what they deserve!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

don't knock bing maps

In the UK, Bing maps give you ordnance survey maps, much better than Google.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternate explanation for mix up:

I believe MS were trying to show the direction our data will be going...Clearly Northern hemisphere... Whereas the direction of privacy / controls is clearly going South!

4. Stevie

Bah!

But I thought that outside of Bartertown there were no cities left in that post-holocaust hellhole.

This "Melbourne" you speak of was knocked over in the pocyclipse. I seed it on the Tell.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: Bah!

Maybe that's the answer. Mad Max isn't a tale of nuclear apocalypse survival, but is instead a story of the rural Aussies who were left behind after Bing Maps moved all the cities, towns and infrastucture to other parts of the world.

If you think nuclear weapons are terrifying, try messing with Microsoft!!

5. kain preacher

So are we going to see Godzilla attack Melbourne or Perth ?

6. jmc787

they fixed it. bloody spoilsports.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like