back to article Brexit: UK gov would probably lay out tax plans in post-'leave' vote emergency budget

The UK government would be likely to have an "emergency" budget shortly after next month's EU referendum if there is a "leave" vote. It would use that budget to give clarity on its priorities for changes to the tax regime. Its proposed changes to the corporate tax regime would be influenced by the eventual trading relationship …

Page:

1. Jess

Re: MEPs make the laws

No. They vote on the laws. They don't propose them.

That is one thing that could seriously do with changing,

But it's certainly not a good enough reason to leave.

1. TheTick

"But it's certainly not a good enough reason to leave."

Only if there was a reasonable possibility of this changing in the future. But I don't see any reform in the direction of more democracy and accountability coming from the EU in the foreseeable future.

Elected representatives proposing and repealing laws is pretty much the most fundamental reason to stay in or leave the EU. All of the other problems stem from this basic failure of representative democracy. So yes, it is a good enough reason, and it is the reason I will vote to leave.

I would urge you to not take it lightly.

1. Jess

I will take it lightly because of the following.

I have voted in every election I was able in the last 34 years.

Never has my vote contributed to any MP who votes on the laws my country makes.

However in the EU elections it has.

Therefore I get more representation with the EU than without it.

I don't see any reform in the direction of more democracy and accountability coming from Westminster in the foreseeable future.

1. TheTick

That's an appalling reason to vote to stay in the EU.

Are you seriously saying that fundamental matters of accountability, democracy, legitimacy and all the rest are less important to you than the fact the person you like got elected as an MEP in your region?

Jess, that MEP you like has almost zero power. He/She cannot propose legislation, nor propose to repeal legislation. If you are happy with that level of power then I pity you.

I don't see much reform coming from Westminster either, but the current setup is significantly better than the setup in the EU and is therefore an improvement from the current situation.

1. Jess

Re: that MEP you like has almost zero power

Still more representation than I personally get from voting in Westminster Elections.

So therefore I totally dismiss all sovereignty arguments as completely irrelevant.

However there are much more important reasons to stay.

Freedom of movement and the fact that the EU prevents the national bickering between countries escalating into something more serious are the primary ones.

If we end up in the EEA, that would be fine, and the irony of the position we would be in being exactly what the UKIP falsely claim we are in currently would amuse me.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

MEPS make the laws???

No they dont. They can ionly block them, and even that is pretty hard to do when its a 'regulation'

Another golden EU myth.

MEPS have as much power as the UK house of lords.

The EU house of commons doesn't exist. There are bureaus and commissions full of paid people who take backhanders from any lobbyist they want, to initiate any law they want, so long as they can craft a plausible politically correct excuse for doing it.

If someone said 'you will lose 30% of your savings if we leave the EU Id still vote out. I might be able to make it back if we left, and trust me, the EU would have it anyway.

1. H in The Hague

Norwegian option

The Brexiters seem to think that an arrangement like Norway has would be a viable solution. However, I seem to remember reading in one of this morning's papers that this arrangement only covers the free circulation of goods, not services.

Does anyone know more about that?

Not having free access to the EU services market would be likely to have a major impact on the UK banking and IT industries.

Do any of our readers work in IT or banking? :)

1. Jess

Re: Norwegian option

Large contribution to the EU budget with nothing in return. Requirement to enact the majority of EU rules and laws without any veto or voting rights. Freedom of movement, with less opt outs than EU members.

I can see the Brexiteers loving that.

On the upside, Britain is usually the country vetoing or watering down good laws. (Protection for steel, anti-corruption powers, etc.)

2. Richard Parkin

Parliament is sovereign not the People

Parliament is sovereign, not the people so a vote for brexit will only be put into effect if a majority on MPs are in favour, which they are not. The whole thing is a charade like the Scottish referendum where scotnats were promising to "stay" in EU and keep the £, neither of which were remotely possible.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Here is an idea for the twats at the top.

Tell me the benefits of staying in the EU

Tell me the benefits of leaving the EU.

No making up numbers, no wild claims you can't back up and no "my mate says that if X then Y will happen"

Or just be honest and say, "actually, I don't have a clue what will but I'd rather take my chances with staying / leaving the EU"

1. itzman

Re: Here is an idea for the twats at the top.

Benefits in staying in the EU:

Benefits of leaving: We can sack the UK government and UK government will be 100% responsible for UK legislation.

1. James 51

Re: Here is an idea for the twats at the top.

Actually if we remain in the EEA or want to sell a bunch of stuff to the EU Brussels will still make a lot of UK law.

4. Jess

Re: "stay" in EU and keep the £, neither of which were remotely possible.

Actually they both were.

Of course they would keep the pound, have you never seen Scottish bank notes? The question really was whether both versions would be linked. When Southern Ireland left the UK, its pounds were linked to ours for decades. Even to the extent of having the same size coins.

The EU would not have wanted to lose territory and citizens. It would not have been in the remainder of the UK's interests to have it on the outside. Any technicalities would have been sorted out.

And if we wanted them to stay in the EU, we could easily have managed the situation. (Dissolve the union, so that either we were all out or none out.)

1. Richard Parkin

Re: "stay" in EU and keep the £, neither of which were remotely possible.

Of course I meant pound sterling. The Scots could call their currency whatever they wished but it would not be sterling.

5. Jess

You can't make any accurate predictions,

because we don't know how it will pan out.

We don't know if the UK will survive intact.

We don't know if we will be in the EEA or not.

(If we were to be, then Brexit wouldn't really bother me.)

Will we get a deal at all?

Will the EU actively help businesses to relocate to remain within the EU?

Will it be Cameron or Boris negotiating?

Will there be a snap general election?

Will the rest of the world spring to our rescue, or take advantage of our situation?

It seems to me about as good a move as Nokia ditching their own systems for Windows. We could all see it was a likely train wreck, but they still did it.

1. itzman

Re: You can't make any accurate predictions,

But that hasn't stopped any of the doom mongers has it? Making 'accurate predictions'

Its a bit like climate change 'the science is settled...but we need another 10 million greenbacks just to make sure..'

Of course there is one thing we DO know for certain, if we leave the EU. WE will be able to make a lot more laws unique to Britain. And we will be able to - unless a British government removes the power, vote the lawmakers out if they do a more than usually venal, corrupt and incompetent job.

And that is all I need to know.

1. John Hughes

All I need to know that once again, scratch a Brexiter it turns out they're also a climate change denier. Odd, that.

2. billat29

"WE will be able to make a lot more laws unique to Britain."

Well, yes and no. The UK is currently signatory to 14,000 treaties (source: FCO website) so that is going to limit our options.

And, if we are going to sell into various jurisdictions, then we might have to enact certain laws to enable us to trade there.

And those might just turn out to be the ones that we think we can repeal if we leave......

1. lorisarvendu

""WE will be able to make a lot more laws unique to Britain."

Well, yes and no. The UK is currently signatory to 14,000 treaties (source: FCO website) so that is going to limit our options.

And, if we are going to sell into various jurisdictions, then we might have to enact certain laws to enable us to trade there.

And those might just turn out to be the ones that we think we can repeal if we leave......"

Those advocating Exit seem to think the UK will then be able to throw out all EU laws it doesn't like and make up it's own to suit itself, regardless of how the rest of the world sees us. Like sorting out those pesky immigrants once and for all by either denying them any housing/child/employment benefits, or simply slamming the door in their faces. However if we're outside the EU and we start passing draconian laws that go against the spirit of Human Rights, we could see ourselves at the wrong end of some pretty unpleasant economic sanctions. We're currently protected from trade embargos and tariffs because we're in the EU, not because we're British.

3. H in The Hague

"WE will be able to make a lot more laws unique to Britaiit'n. "

I may have misunderstood something, but I thought that on the whole Brexiters are in favour of less legislation rather than "lots more laws'.

Anyway, on the whole EU legislation sets minimum standards. The UK can, and does, have stricter legislation in many areas (e.g. in the UK a lot of work on gas and electrical installations can only be done by a qualified technician, while here in NL it's a free for all). Or are you trying to say that British citizens deserve weaker consumer standards and employee protection? Now, I'm right of centre, but I still feel that protection of rights in these areas is essential.

"And we will be able to - unless a British government removes the power, vote the lawmakers out if they do a more than usually venal, corrupt and incompetent job."

We only get that opportunity every five years or so. And if your constituency is a safe seat and you don't like your MP then your vote counts for little in first pass the post elections such as those for the Westminster parliament. I get the impression that on the whole parliamentary candidates are more loyal to their party than their constituents. See also someone else's comment that their vote had never really counted in Westminster parliament elections, although it had in EU parliament elections.

4. James 51

You go be a unique and special little flower. Let the rest of us live in the modern, interconnected world.

6. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Coat

All of you

have missed the final small print paragraph at the bottom of the Lisborn treaty

"Member states are free to leave the EU subject to the usual military formalities"

<<<running for the door

7. Bob Rocket

Scottish Independence ?

The Scots Nats, who have a majority in Scotland, want independence from the Union and retention of EU membership.

It will be a long time/cold day in hell before any UK Government allows another independence referendum, however if the UK votes Out then the Scots Nats have stated that they will run their own referendum.

The Scots Nats should campaign for Brexit as that is the only way to gain their stated goals.

Incidentally, if the Scots Nats leadership continue to side with the rest of the established UK parties (including the Hated Tories) then they will be annihilated at the next election. (Labour were punished across the UK for getting into bed with the tories).

1. Jess

Re:Scots Nats should campaign for Brexit as that is the only way to gain their stated goals.

That wouldn't work. (Unless they campaigned for the English to vote leave and the Scots to vote remain.)

The only way the validity of their recent plebiscite would be undermined is if they UK as a whole votes to leave, but Scotland votes remain, and the vote is higher than the vote to remain in the UK. (Which seems likely at present.)

Anyone voting to leave in Scotland would be voting for the whole UK to leave intact.

Anyone voting to stay is voting for the whole UK to stay.

A solid vote to stay in Scotland but an overall UK leave vote would undermine the referendum, because of a material change.

They would then have to be asked if they wish to be an independent state within the EU, or to remain in the UK but leave the EU. (Or alternatively, PM Boris could send the tanks in, of course.)

8. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Of course any independent country can close it's borders if it so wishes. No post-Brexit government would go that far, but they will have the power to control all migration into the UK."

Since the tabloid press is making HUGE CAPITAL headlines about illegal immigrants arriving on the shores of Britain in their DOZENS, may I just point out that the "closing" of borders makes absolutely no difference to illegal immigration. If you don't want to risk your life, you can probably just come here as a tourist and then not leave. Now you are an illegal immigrant, and the border control didn't manage to stop it.

Brexit won't solve that issue, unless it also means that in the future all dark-skinned people, or people with an eastern European accent, in the UK are to be automatically assumed to be here illegally. Brexiters must then also logically be for mandatory ID cards, permanently carried, and "random" controls on our streets.

You should probably be careful what you are asking for.

9. Jess

Re: scratch a Brexiter it turns out they're also a climate change denier

On the upside, Brexit would be good for the environment.

Britain is the country that keeps vetoing and watering down EU environment regulations.

Currently there are 28 Countries with compromised regulations. After Brexit there would be only one.

It would be good for the environment, just not ours.

10. strum

>*I* don't trust the democratically elected UK government

Why should I trust an unelected cabinet or an unelected House of Lords?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like