back to article Idiot millennials are saving credit card PINs on their mobile phones

More than one in five 18-24 year olds (21 per cent) store PINs for credit or debit cards on their smartphones, tablets or laptops, according to research conducted by Equifax in conjunction with Gorkana. In the same survey of 500 people across all ages more than a third of young adults (38 per cent) said they also use their …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wish I could be there...

To see the look on their face after managing to steal both my phone and wallet, break my phone PIN within 10 attempts, figure out which card the one random PIN in my memos is for (the one I can't change FWIW) then to realise that, as a millennial, there's about $20 in total across all my cards anyway!

Sucks to be you theif! Oh, wait :s

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Try telling them though...

that it's foolish, and they should use a password manager, and they'll turn around and self-diagnose themselves with stress and anxiety related short term memory disorder and accuse you of harassing and bullying them, you CIS white piece of trash.

3. herman

Keepass and KeepassX

I use KeepassX and it is available on all my devices - cell phones too. I can't remember hundreds of different passwords.

4. DaveNullstein

encrypted?

Article doesn't mention if they are using password managers or other encrypted storage to do so.

This is a meaningless piece of trivia. I'm a genXer and I store passwords on my phone. Who the fuck doesn't?

5. nautica Silver badge
    Holmes

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Q: What makes a millenial an idiot?

A: Aversion to work.

Thinking is work; thinking is bad; ergo any new technobauble which reduces the need to think is guaranteed to be snapped up by the millidiots.

Millenials need not apply here. You can be spotted a mile away, and, thankfully, you're not protected by the government (which, laughably, is becoming overrun with millenials).

6. Jimbo 6
    Boffin

One question remains...

... given that The Yoof record all their PINs on their fondleslabs (which may - or may not - be a good idea, see previous posts) :

Do they actually back up that info anywhere else ?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5 out of 5 do. It's just that the other 4 aren't dumb enough to admit it to a random survey guy/girl.

8. The Quiet One

Nothing new here...

I setup a new mobile for a user and to make sure ActiveSync was picking up contacts, i took a quick look in the address book app.

And there it was, clear as day.....The first contact, "Mrs Abbey Pin" who, mysteriously, only had a 4 digit phone number.

At the very least, make it look like a real number and then make the first or last 4 your PIN...or better yet, just remember it. How hard can it be?

9. AndrewDu

The kids have grown up with this stuff and have totally swallowed the government line about "if you've got nothing to hide...". Their view is why would anyone want to steal MY stuff when there are all these rich bastards around?

Works fine until your grandfather sends £300 to some scammer somewhere because you got mugged in Madrid, or some other place you've never been to. (Nearly happened in my family; did happen to a friend).

My god-daughter wrote her PIN on the actual credit card itself - but it was OK (she said) because it was written with the digits in the reverse order. Then she was shocked - shocked, I say - when her big brother emptied her bank account. Once bitten...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon