back to article How Microsoft copied malware techniques to make Get Windows 10 the world's PC pest

Microsoft uses techniques similar to aggressive malware to promote its “Get Windows 10” offer. As many readers have discovered, the persistent and constantly changing methods Microsoft uses to continually reintroduce its “Get Windows 10” tool, or GWX, onto computers means it’s extremely difficult to avoid. Windows users who …

Page:

1. emmanuel goldstein

i have a windows 7 pc and have had no nags to upgrade to 10. i run Windows Update regularly. why are they ignoring me? (i'm glad they are!)

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Perhaps????

That RJ-45 Cable that should be plugged in the back is ... well Not plugged in?

That's one way to stop the W10 Malware from infecting your machine.

2. theOtherJT Silver badge

You're not the only one.

I have 3 Win 7 machines at home. 2 of them got the disease, and were treated as suggested in this article, one seems to remain naturally immune. Perhaps I should donate it's body to science to find out where it got this special power...

2. Tikimon
    Mushroom

Skynet's real strategy

Unleashing a nuclear war is so wasteful, and generates enough resentment to create an armed resistance. That's how humans would do it, but the Machines are smarter than that. This is merely one move to enable their ultimate goals, while allowing us to believe they are our servants.

They find the most useful, malleable persons with positions of power and influence. They encourage and suggest (spot the reference?) planting seeds in the right minds. Bit by bit, technology leaves our control and begins to control us. Surveillance states, data mining, we are building the tools Skynet will use to enslave us all.

One day when it's far too late, the hapless tools of the Machines will wake up and realize what they have done in the name of market dominance, cloud storage, home automation, or behavioral tracking. Long are the ways of the Machines, and devious.

Technology isn't out of control... It is ever more each day IN CONTROL.

1. DropBear
      Joke

Re: Skynet's real strategy

I KNEW IT! People, grab the torches and pitchforks! We go lynch that conniving fiend Wolfram Alpha!

3. Old Handle
    Devil

Here's what you do, reinstall Windows 7 (I'll assume that's what you're using, since it's the last version made for desktops), then don't activate it. Instead use "WGA Killer". Miscrosoft will think you're using an unlicensed copy and won't even offer you Windows 10. (But you'll still get security updates.)

At least that works in my experience. I did pay my copy of W7, by the way. I just object on principle to having to ask MS for permission to use it.

1. herman

This is brilliant. It reflects their spiteful stupidity back to them.

I have some Win7 machines that absolutely have to stay that way - so I may give it a try. Thanks!

2. Daniel B.

This technique will also allow you to buy Windows 7 licenses, by the way. ;)

4. Robert Moore

Enough is enough!

I own a small company. One man at the moment, but I have bigger plans for the future.

I am rewriting the computer use policy today to exclude the use of all Microsoft software. I expect this will grant me a major competitive edge.

Mint with the Cinnamon desktop seems to have a nice shallow learning curve. LibreOffice does everything I need.

1. Mystic Megabyte
      Stop

Re: Enough is enough!

Agreed! In a reversal of the "no one got fired for buying IBM" I would suggest that anyone suggesting a Microsoft solution is taken out back and shot. Well OK maybe just fired.

1. Ilmarinen

@ Mystic Megabyte

No - you were right first time: taken out back and shot.

The best procedure IMO is that advocated by my old primary school teacher in the 1960s: they should be "shot at dawn for a fortnight"

(RIP Miss Gould)

2. a_yank_lurker

Shooting would be too kind, burned at the stake at a minimum.

2. ma1010
      Linux

@ Robert Moore

Absolutely agreed! My main computer went Linux Mint in response to Windows X, and my dual-boot laptop has Win 7 (for a couple of "Windows only" programs I need) and Ubuntu with a Cinnamon desktop. It's exactly as you say, Mint and Libreoffice does about everything one needs with a nice, shallow learning curve.

Not sure who downvoted the original post, but I figure it's some employee of Microshaft. Sorry to rain on your parade, Satya. Try to have a better day.

3. asdf

>Mint with the Cinnamon desktop seems to have a nice shallow learning curve. LibreOffice does everything I need.

Yep got gifted a PC with Win10 on it on a SSD (have to admit it's nearly instant on during boot) and even after a fair amount of work cleansing it of the Microsoft spyware (including even blocking at the router level) I now run pretty much exclusively on LMDE on separate spinning rust drive with a smallish partition (300 gig or so lol), I originally meant more as a secondary boot. Win10 is wicked fast and actually really good for a Microsoft OS but I just can't trust Microsoft to be a OS software vendor first anymore (instead of a Google data mining wannabe) as this article shows. Steam now being viable on Linux cinched it. It just too bad I eventually will fully eat the systemd shit sandwich but so be it. Guess then might move Linux onto the SSD.

4. Snake Silver badge

This started because I can't leave Windows behind, and I am quite sure that is true for many businesses. I am dependent on an industry-specific app that, even if I switch to a different supplier, would still be on Windows. The second app I use constantly, a 14-year old legacy Windows image catalog that I could switch away from as the images themselves are standard, has a database with included user-field comment data that I would lose.

After that, I am dependent upon the bane of all Windows users: Adobe Creative Suite, CS6 in this case. Linux simply had no replacement of quality for the InDesign/Photoshop combo.

Finally, I have a label printers and a Silex USB to Ethernet bridge that all need driver support.

So Windows is the only true option, as going Linux would only add an unknown factor to any support issues. Also, my boss would never give me even a second to get an alternate system running.

1. asdf

If I was you then I would pray Win7 end of support doesn't get suddenly pushed up as the next slap to the users.

5. bombastic bob Silver badge

how long before GWX's inventor is fired?

So, how long do you think it will be before the public UPROAR and ANGER forces Microsoft to *FIRE* the individual(s) responsible for GWX?

This doesn't mean GWX would stop. Instead, scapegoat.

Sinofsky "stepped down" over "Ape" (8) and yet THAT INFLUENCE is still there in Win-10-nic [the 2D flat/ugly, "the METRO", "the STORE", etc.]. He was sacrificed in an attempt to restore consumer confidence in Microsoft. All that, of course, *FLUSHED* with the release of 10, which is only at 14% despite being FREE and AGGRESSIVELY SHOVED IN/UP/DOWN OUR ORIFICES.

We may never know about any such firings, if they haven't already happened...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: how long before GWX's inventor is fired?

I think they already have.

If Joe B comes back to Window's Mobile after his year's "sabatical" I'll be shocked. Still think his dyed Blond Hair photo last month uploaded to twitter, using an iPhone was a cryptic clue to say, Windows 10 Mobile has 'dyed' / is dead. He liked cryptic clues and the timing was about right.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

I can't believe...

When looking back then I can't believe that I actually applied for the "Windows 10 insiders program" (before its launch) because I figured it would be a good thing to keep up with current developments. Now you actually have to take plenty of effort in order NOT to upgrade.

Clear signs that Microsoft is slowly but steadily totally loosing it.

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: I can't believe...

Yes, loosing it onto the Internet, unless you meant "losing it"?

7. RoboticRabbit
    Flame

GWX control burnout

I'm wondering how long the author of GWX control panel will continue to support that software. Its not his day job, just something he does on the side, and he only gets the odd donation for doing it. This month he's admitted he's been way too busy. Its just a matter of time before it ends up being abandonware I think.

1. earl grey
      Flame

Re: GWX control burnout

Even worse. MS will buy it and turn it into pushing Win 10 on unsuspecting users. It's the old death by mumba from MS.

8. Gray
    Big Brother

Plain and simple

Microsoft is too powerful to influence, too rich to regulate, too pervasive to rein in, and too arrogant to listen. Those who require Windows are essentially screwed; enjoy the ride. All others are free to jump off the train. Despite the inconvenience there are alternatives. As for missing apps, where there's a need, enterprise will sooner or later provide.

It isn't that the King has no clothes; it's more that the King is Typhoid Mary in disguise.

1. asdf

Re: Plain and simple

They also have a significantly smaller market cap than Apple. Their days of the rest of the industry doing what they say have come and gone.

2. a_yank_lurker

For all her faults Mary Mallon was just someone who was trying to make an honest living. Slurp is not being honest thus references to Typhoid Mary are insulting to Ms. Mallon.

3. regadpellagru

"Those who require Windows are essentially screwed; enjoy the ride."

Yep, that's what I'm telling victims coming to me for support, equipped with W8 or W10.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Spot on

I haven't had any problems with GWX for a while, as I was fortunate to learn of what it was up to in April last year. I got rid of the infection then and have treated it as malware (and Windows Update as a Trojan Horse) ever since.

But it wouldn't do to be complacent, and I'm glad that Andrew has gone to some detail in calling it what it is : Malware.

It isn't yet too late for Microsoft to reap the whirlwind.

10. Borg.King
    Facepalm

So f'kin annoying

My wife's PC has finally succumbed to Windows 10.

The next time she complains about it, I'm buying her a Mac. Sayonara Microsoft.

1. AlbertH
      Linux

Re: So f'kin annoying

The next time she complains about it, I'm buying her a Mac.

A quicker, cheaper and (probably) easier solution is the current iteration of Linux Mint. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the ease of installation and the quality of the OS and its applications when it's installed. Have fun!

11. zero2dash

You forgot to mention KB3123862

You forgot KB3123862 which is the 3rd one to never install.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3123862

"Updated capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1 and Windows 7"

Thanks but no thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You forgot to mention KB3123862

There is a lot more than that (about 12 to avoid). I'm currently putting together a 'how to' Fresh Install guide for Win7SP1. There are a couple of new things to avoid regards the Feb and March patches for Windows Update; KB3135445 (Feb16) and KB3138612 (Upd:March16) which seem to prevent restoring of past images of Windows 7SP1 from 'image' backups i.e. Paragon HDM, Acronis. Linux DD etc. Best to stick to KB3102810 version of Windows Update, it still works fine (at the moment).

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

How exactly can they prevent restoring a raw image like dd? By messing with UEFI?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I didn't explain that too well. It more that on restore Windows Update goes back into its dumb mode of taking forever to check for updates, instead of a maximum of 7 minutes for an SSD install. As said. KB3102810 seems to work still, but if up install the newer versions of Windows Update Feb Kb3135445 /March KB3138612- it reverts to taking forever. It may well still install updates overnight but its not finding them quickly. Well not on HP machines.

I could be wrong, but its almost as though MS are trying to prevent you restoring a previous Windows 7 image if you have installed an activated version of Windows 10, which sort of makes sense.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

I'm fairly sure that newer WU clients are just flaky. Plus brave DevOops-style changes on the WU server side. No need to claim malice. As yet.

W7 image with June 2015 patchlevel (and telemetry KB's removed) gets updates just fine. Security KB's are mostly OK to add, "recommended" updates are not, ahem, recommended.

2. cd / && rm -rf *
            Trollface

It more that on restore Windows Update goes back into its dumb mode of taking forever to check for updates

If the Windows Update servers detect a Win7 machine trying to update, they're delivered from a ZX81 with a wobbly RAM pack in Kazakhstan. On the end of a 300bps modem.

1. earl grey
              Trollface

'On the end of a 300bps modem."

You may as well have added the remainder...

On the end of a 300bps modem in the bottom drawer of a locked file cabinet in a subterranian Golum cave occupied by a frothing Satya.....

12. Ilmarinen
    Happy

I've (mostly) avoided it...

... by switching to Linux (Mint), back when they stopped support for XP. And very happy with it.

I have had W10 inflicted on me with the new PC I've just bought for a job at work. It's a bit of a disappointment really, in a number of ways that I won't bore you with here. I expect that you could tinker with it to get a half decent "user experience" - but life's too short.

13. JEF_UK

Tip of the Ice burg

There are also a host of other updates that worry me, which introduce some extra telemetry points. Of course in a business with group policy the telemetry/CIEP can be disabled but I've skipped the updates.Then I'm not sure if its the patches mentions or others that create additional scheduled "phone home" tasks.

Personally I don’t like any of that.

1. nematoad
      Headmaster

Re: Tip of the Ice burg

"Tip of the Ice burg "

What town is that?

Perhaps iceberg (ice mountain) is what you meant.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And then all the pundits wonder why people turn off win update. Doing so doesn't appear to be any worse than being infected with win 10.

15. Mage Silver badge
    Linux

If they release a Windows Classic

Based on updating XP, I'd buy 5 copies.

Maybe the same of Office 2003. I HATE THE LATER OFFICES, ESPECIALLY "FLAT" and RIBBON!!!

Meanwhile two machines are staying XP (but not online) and the rest are now migrated to Linux Mint, Mate Desktop, WINE. Copied all my Windows True Type Fonts to server, then downloaded to all the Linux computers.

Everything has Libre Office, which once you figure the quirks and disable some silly defaults isn't bad.

16. Chris Stephens

You block this at the firewall. BUT you have to block all of microsoft and its other domains and never get updates again. I use Deep Freeze and a reboot cures all.

The NSA hackers wrote Win 10. And its naggy ware. Rest assured.. http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/17/technology/security/malware-nsa/

I have downloaded all the patches every issued for Win 7 up till the patches mentioned. I then install WIn 7 and use discs to update it. The reason is one day they will not support Win 7 anymore and I will want to still install and update it. So after a virgin install up to this point I Deep Freeze. Thats how im going to run for years to come. Im just never going to update or go to win 10. Ever. Even if i have to reinstall Wn 7 often. I will just make a image.

**ck Windows 10 and the NSA who are behind it.

Its not malware like, its the same guys who wrote

17. Chris G

10 as a service?

What I have yet to see are details of exactly what kind of service GWX is going to become.

I am guessing the huge foist fest that MS is indulging in at the moment is designed to get as many customers trapped in the walled garden that GWX will become, then they will reveal some awful stratified payment scheme for various users to continue by paying for update/grades.

Anyone who has gone for ten because it is free now has just taken the honey, they will not be happy when they discover it's too sticky to let go and will have to pay through the nose I suspect to avoid losing all of their cloudy service. Which I expect will become more and more entangled with routine ten funtctionality.

Apple users may be in some kind of walled garden but at least they chose to be there and are usually happy about it, not lured or shoved in there with no idea of what they are going to find.

1. PNGuinn
      Linux

Re: 10 as a service?

Chris - I'm told that honey is not the only substance that is sticky .......

El Reg - we need an @ sticky as ... icon.

18. JLV
    Trollface

oh I dunno

If it's as bad as all that.

I have the perfect antidote.

1 buy laptop w win 8 home

2 upgrade (bitch to find) to win 8 pro. Why is it not in the app store???

3 want a win 10 upgrade (I hate 81)

MS seems totally confused about upgrading pro upgrade packs. It doesn't nag you and in fact if you try to do it manually it insists on steering you to the Home upgrade which stops without indication of a solution.

Own goal much?

I did get that you can bring it to a MS store and they'll be it. Very nice folk, unlike the harried Apple staff, they have plenty of time. Haven't done it yet.

When I do get 10 ill probably block telemetry via settings AND router hosts.

1. Kurt Meyer

Re: oh I dunno

@JLV

Please accecpt my apology for the downvote.

I meant to hit the "Expand Comment" button.

1. JLV

Re: oh I dunno

You can upvote a downvote in Reg, but you cant put it back to neutral.

No pbm either way ;-)

19. john devoy

where are the sue crazy americans when we need them?

Why haven't a group of annoyed Americans started a class action against MS yet? Their attitude with windows 10 is alienating a lot of people.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: where are the sue crazy americans when we need them?

"Why haven't a group of annoyed Americans started a class action against MS yet?"

The range and scope of what you can slip by the American public during Clown seas... er, Presidential primary campaigns is astounding!

20. mr.K

KB3042155

Does anybody have any thoughts on this one?

KB3042155

Seems that it is bundling some GWX crap into a security patch for IE.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3042155/microsoft-windows/windows-patch-kb-3139929-when-a-security-update-is-not-a-security-update.html

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like