back to article Debian Linux founder Ian Murdock dead at 42

Debian GNU/Linux founder Ian Murdock has died. He was 42. Murdock is best known for launching the open-source distro in 1993. Just last month, he joined the technology startup Docker in San Francisco. Debian guru ... Ian Murdock On Monday afternoon, he posted a string of distressing and erratic tweets, revealing he had …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mental illness

A torrent of shit and relying on alcohol can push you to the edge. I was there on October 5th 2011, the day that Steve Jobs died. Couldn't see any future, absolute rock bottom and tried to take my life. Ended up in hospital for two weeks, but 4 years on, things are better than they have ever been.

Never, ever, ever give up!

2. Wayland Sothcott 1

Re: Mental illness

That sounds like an external force affecting you. Maybe you ate something toxic or a cist burst in your body or someone was beaming microwaves at you. Did you feel physically unwell or was it all emotional?

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some human decency needed here...

Conclusion jumping has reached new heights, I see. This man's barely cold and you're all trying to pin it on the cops somehow. It's distasteful, and it's disrespectful to his memory. I had a colleague who had a nervous breakdown, and this series of events, the paranoia and confusion of his communications and the brushes with law enforcement remind me of that event. (I'm anonymously posting to hide that person's identity, not mine - mental illness is a stigma, especially in careers where you're paid to think)

'A private matter' means exactly that. No conspiracy, just grief at sudden loss. If there was any hint of wrongdoing, do you really expect that everyone close to Murdock would refuse to comment?

If I were his neighbour, I wouldn't comment on the matter either (assuming that they were even at home at the time), but not to sustain some conspiracy, but out of normal human decency towards someone whose last days on earth were clearly very troubled.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Some human decency needed here...

Whilst I respect his right to privacy, I don't think it's disrespectful to him to consider that the police were a factor in his death given that his last communications were a very public shout-out to his followers that the police had abused him and that he wanted the rest of his life to be about ending police brutality. If anything, from what he wrote, condemnation of the police is what he would have wanted.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If a murder victim leaves a message that her husband did it you expect him to be investigated, not for people to suggest that he be left alone out of respect for his dead wife. Why would this be any different? His final messages are crystal clear.

3. Wayland Sothcott 1

So it would be normal for a neighbour not to comment, fair enough but the lack of comments does not mean lack of something to comment on. You can't say "someone would have said something" if the police are victimizing people who make reports to the police. Saying something is the very thing they would not do if the police did him in.

2. billium

What a sad end to the year.

Thoughts and best wishes to Ian's family and friends.

Debian Stretch user.

3. Michael Habel

RIP

Sad to see such talent disapear like that.Kinda makes me wonder just how flawed the open source community is? Thinking of that other guy who built RiserFS.

On another note does anyone even bother with Diebian (Outside of Ubuntu), anymore? it seems to me they might as well merge together, and call it Debuntu. As if you need some info on how to do something in Debian. 99% of the time its been answered on their Forums.

1. Roo
      Windows

Re: RIP

"On another note does anyone even bother with Diebian (Outside of Ubuntu), anymore ?"

Poor taste.

Have a downvote for failing to correct bad-taste spelling.

1. Tom 7

Plonker - there are more copies of Raspbian running in my daughters primary school than there are windows now.,

2. Snar

Why does Ians death make you "wonder how flawed the open source community is"?

3. Wayland Sothcott 1

Debian is a good platform on which to build your own distro. SteamOS for instance or use the Perfect Debian Server instructions to be lead through the build process from the ssh prompt.

4. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Was going to reply earlier, but was busy- came back to see others had made very similar points to those I'd intended.

If you hadn't posted this under (nominally) your own name via an established account, I'd have dismissed it as a troll, or at least a transparent attempt to smear the open-source community under some vague premise.

You're taking two very different cases, comparing Ian Murdock's situation with that of the guy that killed his wife, and then you're using these isolated cases as the basis for suspicion regarding the (huge) open source community in general? Seriously?

And yeah, I thought that the whole thing was somewhat inappropriate at this time as well; I wasn't sure whether to give you the benefit of the doubt on whether "Diebian" was a typo or not.

1. 404

I know exactly where he was going and I'll use the terminology: 'The creative class within the open source community in general is subject to societal pressures that make them less likely to deal with a non-linear problem in a non-destructive way.' There. Pure drivel. But it sounds good and sciency.

Suicide is private and very immediate, been there but have considered since that i would prefer an honor guard with my passing. Anyone notice an uptick in shootings lately? It's universal, we dun gone crazy.

4. CAPS LOCK

We see so far because we are standing on the shoulders of giants...

...Ian Murdock was one of the giants.

5. Wayland Sothcott 1

Deb + Ian excellent OS

I am sad and concerned that this high profile person has been killed. When you hear of suicide threats you think oh yeah he did it. But then if you're going to remove an obstacle to closed source spyware being placed in the OS you would want it to look like suicide so you would plant that meme.

6. Unicornpiss
    Alert

I think it's a shame

...that he died, and IF he was mentally ill and suicidal that no one was there at the crucial moment to help him. His last hours of life seem to have been spent in a depressed, confused state, and no one should have to go through that, not even counting what his family and close friends must be going through right now.

If you assault a police officer, you are normally not going to be treated well by them, regardless of if you're altered, confused, or just an asshole. Unfortunately most cops in my experience are going to subdue first and ask questions later, not make much of a distinction. If you're in a more enlightened area you may just get "Tased" or restrained, if you're in a more backwards area where spelling your name correctly is apparently all you need to become a cop, you may get severely beaten or killed. This is unfortunately life in every part of the world, not just the US.

Not knowing the whole story, it appears that Mr. Murdock was having a bad time of things. He was apparently arrested and let go once, then again later. It sounds like he may have killed himself, which is a damn shame. As most of us that have been depressed know, even a day can make a huge difference if you can get through the rough patch.

It is a sad testament to genius that the most driven, intelligent, visionary people often live the most torturous lives and self destruct. Even the not so genius in our field seem to have a much higher incidence of dying young.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I think it's a shame

"If you assault a police officer, you are normally not going to be treated well by them"

You clearly haven't had any dealings with the police. Assault charges do not necessarily mean that the accused did any assaulting whatsoever. Assault charges are commonly used to pre-emptively discredit a witness and weaken their case for suing the tits off of the police for THEIR assault. And there is also the "assaulting the policeman's boot with your face/head/privates" flavour too. This will happen when the victim is either alone or when any witnesses are not going to come forward; and basically comes down to the word of the victim versus the word of several policemen; who will be backing each other up.

This has happened to me and quite apart from the travesty of justice; being thoroughly stitched up by the very people who are paid to stop that sort of thing; and the -basically- being forced to pay for being beaten up there is a longer-term danger in that "assaulting the police" becomes part of your records...this ensures that any future dealings are likely to go badly....even "good" police will see that assault charge and will not know how genuine it is, so will be more hair-trigger in their approach and the bad ones will just straight up come out swinging.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He sounds like a man committed to exposing police abuse, certainly not suicidal.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151229024414/https:/twitter.com/imurdock

8. AyaVeg

So sad

Sending my condolences to his family.

This is the time to say thank you to the man that created my favorite operation system.

I have been using Debian for the last 15 years.

R.I.P

9. mIRCat
    Linux

A revolutionary

Goodbye sir. So long and thanks for all the Debians.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suicide

SSRIs are not necessarily the answer, and if they are an answer, they're not in every case; but in many and possibly all cases a low serotonin level is involved. You can experience a plunging serotonin equilibrium and become suicidal. Then a few days later return to more-or-less 'normal' with no longer thinking of ending your life.

It is an appalling thought, how many people surely kill themselves who would not have a few days later. Especially with easy access to firearms (I say this as a firearms enthusiast. It is the only aspect of free availability of guns that troubles me).

My hunch is that the vast majority of suicides would not have killed themselves if they'd waited it out another week or two. Of course, they all needed support.

11. pewpie

Only recently discovered the joys of Debian.. this is shitty news of the highest order.

12. Kiwi
    Linux

1st Lemmy, now...

Two people who helped shape my life (Lemmy was a huge influence on my musical tastes and how I play Bass), one I never realised was in my own age group.

My first taste of Linux was probably Knoppix for a rescue job, but I was soon using Debian when I began to build servers, and in time began using it indirectly when I started with Ubuntu. I also used Debian to bring new life to old hardware, including a machine that'd had an argument with a lightning bolt and would not run XP for more than a few seconds (something I assumed with Debian only using a generic driver whereas Windows used a driver that tried to make full use of the damaged hardware, and crashed as a result)

Like so many others, his actions led to something that changed my life, something that I benefited from in a very significant way.

Ian, sir, you did a great thing for so many. You and your family have a lot to be proud of. Thank you for all you did to make this world a better place.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like