back to article Star Trek to go boldly back onto telly, then beam down in streams

Star Trek will return in a new series in 2017, but the venerable program will quickly disappear from screens other than those subscribed to US broadcaster CBS' "All Access" video-on-demand platform. The as-yet-un-named re-re-re-re-reboot* "will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, …

Page:

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: Will it be fun to watch...

Mein Deutsch ist gerusty so I'm not entirely sure WTF that was but it certainly looked to be amusing. Haben Sie einen upvoten!

1. Seanie Ryan

this thread reminds me of ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQLQ56tkO6Y

2. rtb61

The term reboot is just a PR hack to tie into computer jargon. Were the 2 follow star treks a reboot, absolutely not because they did not follow onto the originals and were just pretty lame, very poor story, second set action movies, with that poor story just barely enough to tie together the often pretty silly action scenes. Pretty much a lame cash in on the original franchise and they did a ton of damage to that franchise.

New TV series, I just know it going to be some half assed 90210 in space, to target a younger audience.

Pretty much the last two movies killed the franchise, the second one even worse than the first.

A smarter reboot would reuse the theme but dump that particular universe as unrecoverable.

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
      Joke

"The term reboot is just a PR hack to tie into computer jargon."

Maybe it's a service pack.

1. Simon Harris

More an OS upgrade that forgets to tell you in the installation instructions that it's going to wipe everything important that you wanted to keep.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope it is a massive failure

CBS along with everyone else wants to add 'exclusives' to their online streaming offerings. What good is it if you have to subscribe to CBS, ABC, Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, HBO, ESPN and on and on and end up spending $200 a month?

If it were on TV I'm sure I'd watch it. Making it online streaming only I won't even watch the teaser episode on TV - what's the point, since I can't watch the rest? If it is any good it'll be available elsewhere down the road and can be binge watched.

Only people who've already abandoned traditional cable/satellite TV would be interested in this, but even among them unless they already subscribed to CBS (and why the hell would you?) the only new subscriptions they'll get are from die hard Trekkies who are afraid not watching them when they come out will mean 'spoilers' when they go to a Trek con.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

The word that has been eluding me

is relaunch.

5. Stevie

Bah!

I believe, strictly speaking, a reboot is when a previously run series is re-imagined anew, like the new Star Trek movies.

Though I may have lost touch with this particular piece of vernacular in the decade or so that I haven't given a flying fuck.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon