back to article Sir Terry remembered: Dickens' fire, Tolkien's imagination, and the wit of Wodehouse

Sir Terry Pratchett has left us at the age of 66, but he has gifted the next generation a massive archive of fiction and non-fiction that will delight, amuse and inform readers for years to come. It's a sad day at the El Reg offices, many of us were devoted fans. He was born on April 28, 1948, and wrote fiction as a teen. At …

Page:

1. 9Rune5

Re: Reading order?

CoM is a mixed bag of sorts. The first time I read it, I remember thinking it was 'okay'. I stuck with it however, and 'Guards! Guards!' (as well as 'Mort') was the big payoff as far as I am concerned.

To me it makes sense to turn the wary reader onto 'Guards! Guards!' first before tackling the earlier DW novels. Either way, a new reader must read beyond the first two books to get the full DW reading experience.

With my son however, I expect I will gradually introduce the stories before reading age and hopefully he will catch on that way. (he is just 4 m.o. so I still have time to re-adjust my strategy)

Just one more novel to go... I had wished for many more, but what was provided was truly generous. Thank you Terry.

1. Peter Prof Fox
    Thumb Up

Skillful writing technique

He was able to tell a story slowly without being boring for one minute. A master of the slow-burn joke you should have seen coming-up two pages ago, so when the punch-line comes you're ashamed at not being alert as well as tickled by the way he's strung you along. The same goes for parodies, satires and turning what's un-obvious into 'see it was there in front of you all along -- Now do you understand'. A classic example of Pratchet's humanism is when (amongst other minorities being exploited and attacked, Dwarves, Golems, -- the usual stuff) there's a female werewolf major character in a policeMANs role. Police 'dogs' fine but women! Very unsettling. Dwarves have a venerated 'home' back in the hills but where is her 'home' in all senses?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Skillful writing technique

Ah, yes, Angua... a woman for whom the comment that she can be a bit of a bitch for a few days every month has to be taken a bit more literally than usual!

2. James 36

RIP

I am reading this at work trying to not to weep at my desk. I love his books and need to reread them.

Another vote for Guards Guards as an intro

for an IT angle what about the troll in the freezer whose intelligence increases as the temperature drops ?

I particularly love small gods.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIP TP

I met Terry several times at various (and rather wonderful) Unicorn Theatre productions of his books, and found him unfailingly charming and modest. It was nice to see the witty chap I'd chatted to on CIX was the same in real life. I won't join the debate about what t read first as it depends so much on what your sense of humour is, but will add that I have reread several of his books many times - Interesting Times, Night Watch, Mort are all excellent.

I am also a proud owner of a rarity, an unsigned copy of Mort :)

1. JimC

> an unsigned copy of Mort :) was Re: RIP TP

But is it a properly unsigned copy of Mort? i.e. one that has been taken along to a book signing, opened by the master, but not actually written in?

4. Someonehasusedthathandle

Quoting Big Fish seems apt.

"Most men, they'll tell you a story straight through. It won't be complicated, but it won't be interestin' either."

"A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him, and in that way he becomes immortal."

Farewell Sir Terry

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drinking Songs!

A great loss, my condolences to his family.

I think tonight will require the sinking of a few pints in his honour, before trying to kick off a bit of a sing-song with a round of 'A Wizards Staff has a Knob on the End' and Nanny Ogg's favourite 'The Hedgehog Song'!

6. Tim Worstal

The thing is

When one of the books was based upon something you know well the most absurd jokes were actually the true bits.

The Truth is the best satire of the newspaper business since Scoop and probably better. And in Making Money the truly absurd thing about all of the economics is that it's absolutely completely and totally correct.

Yes, even down to the hydraulic computer for modelling the economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MONIAC_Computer

Although, to be fair, it's only one half of the economics profession who thinks that if you can get the model right then it will affect the real economy.

7. Thecowking

He'll be missed in my house

I recently got round to rationalising the Pratchett books in my house and passing the spares on to the deserving. I didn't want to be greedy though, so I kept the books he signed for me as they're probably not worth as much as the pristine ones!

Today I was on a clearly very dusty train as my eyes started to moisten quite noticably as I read "The Colour Of Magic" on the way to the office.

I met him a few times and enjoyed that he took the time out to visit my school (for such was the place of our first meeting) and I always found him patient and amusing.

My first Pratchett was The Light Fantastic back in 1988 or so when I was really far too young to be reading them. Luckily no one told me so I kept on reading them.

A pint shall be raised to him tonight.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Pint

Re: He'll be missed in my house

I don't know. Should you raise a pint to him? Or should it be a glass of something blue or green and sticky, that's been lurking in a crusty bottle at the back of the bar since a holiday about 20 years ago?

2. Terje

You didn't just happen to have Susan as a teacher did you?

1. Thecowking
        Thumb Up

My teacher of the time had black hair with a silver streak. So some kind of negative of Susan, possibly from traversing the universes.

8. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Oook :o(

Ahem, > "usually wearing in his trademark black fedora "

I recall reading an interview when he stated it is a "Borsalino".

I wrote to him once, ending, as usual wiht "Irealise you are very busy and will understand if you are unable to reply". After a couple of months I got a reply, apologising for the delay, and responding in detail to what I'd written.

de Chelonian Mobilus!

9. DeVino
    Pint

I thought that "Raising Steam" was a rather odd book when it came out as it contained just about every character in the Discworld. Now it seems to make sense as it's like having a curtain call for everybody.

I also never met the man and in some ways I mourn more for Sam Vimes, Moist Lipwick and the Librarian.

Which perhaps is how Mr Pratchett might like it. Thank-you sir for some great times. Especially Night Watch.

10. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Small Gods

Everyone supporting ISIS, the Taleban, Al Quaida, or indeed any religious moveoment that believes in killing people should read Terry Pratchett's "Small Gods".

1. David Nash Silver badge

Re: Small Gods

"Everyone supporting ISIS, the Taleban, Al Quaida, or indeed any religious moveoment that believes in killing people should read Terry Pratchett's "Small Gods"."

And those that don't.

11. Putters

Both my favourite authors gone now ...

First George MacDonald Fraser* and now Terry Pratchett*. Their two series account for about 50% of the fiction on paper in my house.

No more Sir Harry and now no more Rincewind :o(

* I wonder if it's just because I like long footnotes ? They just don't work so well in ebooks !

1. jjk

Re: Both my favourite authors gone now ...

And Harry Harrison. And Patrick O'Brian. And Jack Vance. All within the last few years.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

And tragically and far too young - Iain M Banks

2. Bleu

... and Jack Williamson, he still wrote a few great stories at a very advanced age.

Death happens, part of the human condition.

More of a tragedy for Sir Terry was more that he had to put up with early senility from his early fifties or late forties.

Come to think of it, I am thoroughly sick of Internet obits in general, every comment piling on to be more piously regretful than the last. I am quite sure that Sir Terry Pratchett would agree.

12. Ol'Peculier
    Unhappy

Dollars?

Will really miss PTerry. He did a web chat on a forum I was a member of once just before he announced his embuggerance kindly spending an hour or so answering questions.

Anyway, El Reg. when did Brits start donating dollars to research?

1. jai

Re: Dollars?

As I recall it was a million dollars worth of UK Sterling.

13. jjk

ZX-81

"In 1980, he moved into PR and became the press officer for three nuclear power plants run by the UK's Central Electricity Generating Board."

"A computer enthusiast since the early days (his first machine was a Sinclair ZX81), [...]"

Well, of course.

1. Robert Baker
      IT Angle

Re: ZX-81

"In 1980, he moved into PR and became the press officer for three nuclear power plants run by the UK's Central Electricity Generating Board."

"A computer enthusiast since the early days (his first machine was a Sinclair ZX81), [...]"

Well, of course.

Maybe he was in charge of the ZX81s which controlled the power plants. :-)

14. Amorous Cowherder

I was never huge fan but anything I did read by him, I always thoroughly enjoyed. The typical British sense of humour was so well captured. It's never nice when someone who gave so much genuinely innocent pleasure to so many, is no longer around.

15. Dodgy Dave

Among many gems

...was his 'pork futures warehouse' where ghostly pig carcasses faded in and out of existence as the economy rose and fell. Absolute genius.

I will savour his few remaining books that I've yet to read, like bottles of vintage Bordeaux.

16. Tanuki

I can kinda imagine him having specified that his coffin should be made from Sapient Pearwood.

17. Benjol

Haven't read one in years, but must say that I think they are truly the only books that have ever consistently made me chortle out loud.

1. Vic

I think they are truly the only books that have ever consistently made me chortle out loud

I've had the same effect from reading Robert Rankin and David Langford. And both of those authors had forewords by Pterry[1].

Vic.

[1] Which is why I read them in the first place :-)

18. Simon B

An amazing author, a legend who I will greatly miss. Long live the great a-tuin

19. Isendel Steel

RIP

Not fortunate enough to have met him. But he has provided me with hours of entertainment with the Discworld (in all its printed forms), and pause for thought with the Long Earth and Nation.

Farewell.

20. Ashton Black

I've read and re-read most of them down the years. Being a D&D and fantasy literature fan, the Colour of Magic/ Light Fantastic really tickled my funny bone. I do remember looking forward to each book, to find out which story arc it would be for. I think he wasn't considered "literary" for the simple reason, his style was fun and accessible, without a degree in English Lit.

Very sadly missed.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Life Changer

A great loss of somebody who changed my life.

I remember being told about the colour of magic by a friend when it was released. I was not interested - I didn't read books! But I remembered the name. Some years later, when at an airport about to depart on a long flight to the w.indies for a holiday, I thought about what I would do on the plane (and whilst sitting round the pool). I saw a book stall and thought hmm. By then there were 6 books in the discworld series so, having a bit of an addictive personality, I bought all six. I started to read the colour of magic whilst waiting for the plane and had read 2 books before we landed - I was hooked. Since then I have become a big reader, TP started all of that - not just discworld but lots of comic fantasy (Robert Rankin, Tom Holt, etc).

I had the fortune to meet Sir Terry only once (as with others on the forum it was a book signing, for Jingo). The queue was long but even so, her took the time to chat, and sign other items brought along (he signed a DEATH christmas card to me, and penned 'the turtle moved' on a discworld map. What a great man.

You will be sadly missed.

Bootnote - When I told my wife about the sad departure of Sir Terry yesterday she said 'that was a surprise'. "Not really", I said, "It was a million to one shot". She naturally didn't get the reference, but I'm sure most here will.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: A Life Changer

"Bootnote - When I told my wife about the sad departure of Sir Terry yesterday she said 'that was a surprise'. "Not really", I said, "It was a million to one shot". She naturally didn't get the reference, but I'm sure most here will."

My wife would get the reference. It was she who introduced me to Discworld :-)

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooook :(

Ooook :(

What more can be said?

23. Sweeper

Sir Terry is easily my favourite author and always will be. I reread every book in a year back in 2008. It's time to start again. Maybe we should have a mass Terry Pratchett / Reg Reader day somewhere.

24. Scott K
    Facepalm

Truckers, Diggers and Wings

I started reading his books as a nipper Truckers, Diggers and Wings. They dragged me into his mind, his world and told me it was OK to think differently. I haven't stopped since, never met the man but wanted to many times. Now it looks like I never will unless it's a pint in the mended drum.

Legend who will be missed and his books will be re read and re read I just find it hard to grasp the fact the discworld has supernova'd there are no more stories from that land to be told. Just a final farewell on Twitter which broke me.

So long and thanks for all the books. (I know, I know)

Favorite quote hard to decide. This I still use to explain quantum physics!

'“ASTONISHING, said Death. REALLY ASTONISHING. LET ME PUT FORWARD ANOTHER SUGGESTION: THAT YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A LUCKY SPECIES OF APE THAT IS TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE COMPLEXITIES OF CREATION VIA A LANGUAGE THAT EVOLVED IN ORDER TO TELL ONE ANOTHER WHERE THE RIPE FRUIT WAS.”

― Terry Pratchett, A Blink of the Screen: Collected Short Fiction'

25. Aub the IT Bloke
    Unhappy

I have to admit to being deeply saddened by the loss of Pterry, I have every book, quite a few of them in pristine unsigned hardback, and they've been the only thing I have actually wanted for birthdays and Christmas for years, the Mrs will be at a loss.

Now (to go for a tech angle) I'm sure I'm not alone in this but for the last 20 years I have been naming computers after the characters from Discworld, both at home and at work. There is such a rich variety of characters that you can always find something that is appropriate. My personal favourites include :-

Rincewind - bit of a crap server but ran for ever.

Twoflower - my laptop that travelled the world with us.

Luggage - NAS filer that stored everything but you were never quite sure if it was going to eat a disk.

Now modern standardised naming conventions have taken over at work I wonder how long the likes of these will last. I think we should all try to make sure there's at least one representative of Discworld on every LAN, in honour of the man that made it all possible.

1. Ol'Peculier

I had a dev server once called Magrathea...

2. DaveMcM

Three of the various PCs and NAS servers dotted round my house go by the names Holly, Hactar and Hex... The hardware gets replaced from time to time but the names remain.

Sir Terry will be sadly missed in this house after years of bringing joy through his writing.

I feel like I may have some rereading to do....

3. kwhitefoot
      IT Angle

Count this as a footnote

I know what you mean by modern (I think), but really things are not modern simply because they are current or new.

Many of my colleagues describe C# as modern; I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

26. fritsd

incredibly good writer

I enjoy reading immensely. Especially Pratchett.

And I believe I'm very clever.

But while reading the Discworld series, I noticed some kind of unexpected development:

The first books read like very humorous fantasy novels, great for a bit of light escapism.

But some (not all) of the later books, as he grew in his craft of master storyteller, contain layers that I found difficult to penetrate and understand.

There are some of his books, maybe beginning with Small Gods, that shows that he imbued the world he perceived with meanings that are difficult to explain or to talk about. Yet during the whole book he managed to convey these meanings in a way that I usually understood. (after re-reading in some cases). It's like he wrote about things, in our real world, that most people probably don't even know exist, and that are difficult to explain in words.

Maybe that just means I haven't understood them very well :-) but here follows a list of what I personally *believe* he talks about:

Small Gods - religion (I understood, but what a wonderfully insightful book!)

Jingo - the difference between police and military

Hogfather - mythology (I think I understood after re-reading a few times. Completely blew my mind)

The Fifth Elephant - love (I feel like I'm missing a large part of what he's saying, this was the most difficult book for me)

Thud! - terrorism

many of the witches' books - duty, and the maintenance of a society

He just kept getting better and better!

And if you read them all, then it's a mixed bag of "easy" and "difficult" books, and maybe for you a completely different subset is easy or difficult.

It's like he was saying: "the Discworld, just like our world, is a complex mess. Deal with it, and be happy with it!"

1. Huw D

Re: incredibly good writer

Jingo was (unless I'm missing the point) about Jingoism.

My (country/religion/football team/dad) is better than your (country/religion/football team/dad) and specifically used to refer to excessive/agressive foreign policy.

That sort of thing.

27. Mad Scientist

Books never written

I discovered Terry back in the 80s and went on to play several of his characters on stage. He was generous to let a bunch of amateurs loose on his masterpiece but was incredibly supportive through the years.

I remember in his first biographical notes he said he would write about his experiences at the nuclear power stations if he thought anyone would believe him. I would have wondered what he left out. I shall be reminiscing later with a the Archchancellor (amongst many DW roles).

I will miss his razor wit and would loved to have seen him deconstruct our current times.

Favourites?

Moving Pictures, Lords and Ladies, Jingo,Maskerade and Making Steam. Best introductions Mort,Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters

28. Deryk Barker

I've never managed to get through an entire Prachett novel - and comparing anyone to Wodehouse is simply a non-starter, DIckens too for that matter.

But I have to congratulate him on flourishing after working on the Bucks Free Press, which I remember from my early days as a completely awful rag.

And the nobility of his final years.

29. 4ecks
    Pint

Farewell dear friend.

Although I never met him personally, he has been with me all my adult life.

I'm saddened by his passing, but still chuckling at the jokes that I'm remembering.

I fondly remember being able to tell when there were other fans of his on the train in the morning by the massive increase of laughter and giggles I could hear whenever a new book came out.

I still can't get the name of the local school right - Bangabandhu Primary always comes out as Bhangbhangduc.

The handle 4ecks was pilfered from The Last Continent.

Another beer in your honour Sir!

30. Blank Reg

Oh Waily Waily :(

31. C. P. Cosgrove
    Pint

By coincidence, I finished re-reading 'Witches Abroad' on the morning of his death.

I am at least theoretically banned from reading any of his books in bed, my beloved always accuses me of making the bed shake when she is trying to get to sleep. She hasn't quite managed to stop me yet.

I too will raise a glass to his memory.

Chris Cosgrove

32. Bleu

My sister

gave me a book that I very much like.

She did not 'gift me with' a book.

Terry Pratchett has given the english-reading world much good writing, he did not 'gift' the world 'with' it.

Yes, that usage of 'gift' as a verb originated in New York, very recently, and irritates the hell out of me, even worse, people who claim to be writers, as on this article, don't even seem to recall give, gave, given, it becomes gift x with, gifted x with, gifted x with.

Illiterate crap.

Cheap as hell.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon