back to article Apple iMac 27-inch 2013: An extra hundred quid for what exactly?

The original iMac, launched back in 1998, was a breakthrough product that rescued Apple from being sucked into the sort of death spiral that Blackberry is currently speeding down. But now, in 2013, the latest version of the all-in-one desktop computer appears to barely merit a press release from the Apple mothership. In fact, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Spoonsinger
      Pint

Re: I've climbed so far up Apple's butt in recent years, etc..

Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery. (or is that beer - can't remember).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Amorous Cowherder

It was nice to have a Mac but when it got too long the tooth after 5 years use I went back to Windows and I must say I am actually enjoying Windows again now using Windows 7. Sure the clean design of OSX and the gorgeous screen on my iMac are nice to have but I simply can't afford the silly premiums Apple want on their kit, so Dabs and Billy Gates got my money.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Two views on the lack of DVD drive

It ensures everyone has to buy an external DVD drive to plug into it, and you know Apple won’t allow any third party crap, so its more money for them.

What a load of Shite. I use a Samsung USB DVD drive on my MacBook Air and MacMini regularly.

So

Citation Please?

1. Maharg

Re: Two views on the lack of DVD drive

Sorry, I assumed they would do this, I guess the same way you are assuming they don’t, unless of course you have one of the new iMacs this article is about, in which case I was mistaken.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Headphone socket

I'd just like a headphone socket that was easy to get to rather than hidden somewhere in the acres of brushed aluminium round the back.

The one upside of losing the optical drive is that there's no longer a DVD slot for me to idly push an SD card into and spend the next few minutes swearing.

5. Vociferous

Ah the original iMacs...

That brings back memories. So horribly slow and unstable, so horribly overpriced - and yet they sold so horribly well.

1. Joe Gurman

Re: Ah the original iMacs...

Erm, when did you borrow one? Obviously you never used one for much time. They were reliable, sturdy, virtually never crashed or hung. They banished serial ports and introduced USB and digital movie making to the masses. The only thing bad one could justifiably say about them was that replacing the CD drive was worse than pulling apart a 2013 model.

1. Vociferous

Re: Ah the original iMacs...

Oh I used the ifuckers plenty, back in the early nineties. They were horribly, HORRIBLY, slow and unstable. The MacOS of the day didn't have dynamic memory allocation, which not only meant that you had to manually assign RAM to apps (and if you got it wrong they'd crash), but that you frequently got hilarious situations like that you were typing in Word, then the computer ran out of RAM, and you a) could not save your work because there was not enough RAM, and b) could not close programs because there was not enough RAM.

Oh how we laughed.

And the hockeypuck mouse! And the keyboard which, if you typed too fast, just drped chrcters! And of course it was ridiculously overpriced to boot.

But hey, it was pastel colored and in one piece and didn't confuse users with choice or options, and that was apparently all that mattered.

6. dougal83

Clearly not for doing any work...

If I got one of these (for free, as I would not buy one) I'd install windows and replace the unergonomic keyboard and mouse. Surely you'd go insane with that keyboard if you did a weeks work on it?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fluctuating value

A discussion that came up with a friend surrounded when the best time is to buy new Apple hardware, and the answer seems to be as soon as it is released.

Apple very rarely drops its prices between refreshes. The £1599 27in iMac will be £1599 11 months from now, when Intel has a new generation of CPU, Nvidia has a new generation of mobile GPU, and the rest of the AIO market has started including 802.11ac and PCI-E SSDs as standard, in many cases for less money.

There's another related point too. Memory (and to a lesser extend, storage) prices fluctuate. If 8GB of memory costs twice as much in 8 months as it does now then the iMac is better relative value. And the opposite is true of course.

I first thought this back when the hard disk factory flood was causing mechanical disk prices to skyrocket. Apple's intransigence over its prices was actually hurting the company.

Not sure what relevance any of this has, but it's not a point people often make.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like