Badges for Commentards

Today we introduce badges for commentards. This feature will be rolling out over the next few hours. Check out our story here.

This topic was created by Drewc .

Page:

1. The Vociferous Time Waster
    Trollface

Helpful, Informative

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/27/el_reg_commentard_badges/

With upvotes for 'helpful' and 'informative' posts it looks like el reg is morphing into slashdot - they already base all their posts on articles written elswhere!

2. FanMan
    Thumb Down

Great - a Bore's Charter

Rewards for quantity not quality make no sense.

1. M Gale

Re: Great - a Bore's Charter

You did see that thing about upvotes being required for a silver badge, right?

And about gold badges being selected manually by the Reg team?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about only counting posts that have a certain number of upvotes to the total?

Or looking at average upvotes per post?

(biased suggestion because I don't post much but like to think I score reasonably on this measure!)

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Isn't that what the upvote requirement is for? Admittedly you'll be able to farm more of those if you just keep on posting, assuming you can avoid being an arse and getting the opposite effect, but 2,000 upvotes is still an awful lot.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So bronze and silver badges reward activity / with a dash of upvotes for quality - and gold badges reward quality.

We can of course change the criteria for selection - but we have to start somewhere. And somewhere is here.

We will add other voting options to help determine "quality" - but any more badges we do introduce will be awarded on an automated basis.

And we welcome all suggestions for more badges - I see we have a call for purple! OK, but what is a purple badge in recognition of?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"...what is a purple badge in recognition of?"

A sore helmet?

1. LinkOfHyrule
          Paris Hilton

A sore helmet?

I see an advertising partnership opportunity there for ID Lubricants or KY Jelly to sponsor all purple badges - you Reg guys should get your sales department on to that, especially if there's a competition involved - sorest comentard wins an iPad and a years supply of helmet protector!

I'd be up for entering that!

2. VeganVegan
        Devil

Any chance of a scarlet letter being awarded?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Megaphone

Can you add a profile option that will allow those of us who don't care, to opt out?

4. Someone Else Silver badge
        Coat

In another forum somewhere I postulated the existence of a Brown Badge, awarded on the basis of the number of downvotes a poster gets, or perhaps a ratio of downvotes to upvotes.. So, someone like Barry or Eadon might qualify for this dubious distinction.

Something to think about....

3. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Hmm

Obviously this new highlights when you need to go for therapy. or a beer, instead of posting more self opinionated gibberish.

It's a bad sign that I don't even remember when I switched to current nick. Where did I leave my coat?

1. Mage Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Hmm

Ok, a search reveals it was about this week 5 years ago I changed nick. So long ago :(

:eek:

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Hmm

... and you're still here. That's truly courage beyond the call of duty.

Maybe you could a.. I don't know... a badge or something.

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Badges?

We don't need no stinkin' badges...

But I want one :)

1. jake Silver badge

@Phil O'Sophical (was: Re: Badges?)

I don't need or want a stinking badge. Just another excuse to game the system.

5. Christoph

How about a special badge for amanfrommars ? Just because.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

I'd be all for giving it a special badge and a link to its website. It's getting ever more on the money.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

AmanfromMars badge - I like

And maybe it would stop newbies reporting him.

1. M Gale

Re: AmanfromMars badge - I like

I did wonder why he's now called "aManFromMars 1".

Seriously, reported? Dammit, that martian is part of the wallpaper!

2. jake Silver badge

Speaking of "newbies", Drew ... That's amfM. Capitalization is important. Computers are literal ...

3. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
        Coffee/keyboard

DrewC wrote:

"And maybe it would stop newbies reporting him."

ROTFLMAO

You could turn it around and gives everyone who reports it a badge. Potential badge titles are: "I didn't do the research", "I failed the Turning test"*, or just plain "Suckered!". The first has wider application as a discretionary badge for people who annoy mods. The last one could repurpose the facepalm icon.

* Okay, technically it's "I gave an algorithm a pass in the Turing test."

4. Fibbles

If amanfrommars gets a badge it should definitely be green. I've always wondered why he changed his handle to amanfrommars1 as well. Did he forget his password or is it a different Martian posting?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Green?" Mars is red.

1. Fibbles

But the little men that inhabit it are not...

6. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
    Stop

Can I have a badge for all the comments I've not posted? They were all worthless shite. And by self-censoring I've saved you money on storage and bandwidth.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Self-censor badge. I like it.

Maybe for April 1.

7. Jamie Kitson

What? None for me?

After all those bloody corrections I've sent in!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What? None for me?

So Jamie - a corrections badge? That would be very cool for The Reg.

However, for this to work you and anyone else would need to send corrections in via "send corrections" and not as a post.

That would give us just one place to look at, when considering nominees.

1. Jamie Kitson

> for this to work you and anyone else would need to send corrections in via "send corrections" and not as a post.

I do. Constantly.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's way more fun being sarcastic about goofs in the comments.

2. Haku

Wouldn't a corrections badge be white? Or if you struck an advertising deal with Tipp-Ex it could be their logo.

1. Jamie Kitson

I was thinking more an Irritating Bastard badge.... what about a BOFH badge? Guess that would be internal :)

8. Klek

It would be nice if comments had numbers...

The badges are dandy, and giving gold/silver folks the ability to edit posts will be interesting!

However, I would like to propose that comments receive a number, in order that they were posted... so that when commenters refer to another's comment, we all don't go blind looking to track down the greyscale name marking the comment in question. A nice big number on each comment would be most helpful to keep track of the comment-recomment flow.

cheers.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: It would be nice if comments had numbers...

"The badges are dandy,"

Nope. Useless waste of CPU and bandwidth.

"and giving gold/silver folks the ability to edit posts will be interesting!"

No. Absolutely not. Posts are written by induhvidual commentards, and should not be re-written by pseudo-Olympic medal winners.

"However, I would like to propose that comments receive a number, in order that they were posted... so that when commenters refer to another's comment, we all don't go blind looking to track down the greyscale name marking the comment in question. A nice big number on each comment would be most helpful to keep track of the comment-recomment flow."

That number already exists. Why ElReg doesn't do exactly what you propose is beyond me.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Wow, you're a cheery one, aren't you?

Waste of CPU and bandwidth? You know, my grandpa lived through the depression and wasn't one to throw away money or time on trivial comforts... but really? Waste of CPU and bandwidth?

And, uh, the ability to edit comments means 'the ability to edit *your own* comments' - an ability you'd have done well to avail yourself of, fellow silver-badged-1024-byte-PNG-bandwidth-wasting-pseudo-Olympic-medal-winning member.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's not much bandwidth or CPU, but it's a monumental waste of time. Someone's spending time working on this and for what.

It's pretty much the equivalent of getting the gold and silver stars that I vaguelly remember being dished out in my first year in primary school for being able to tie your own laces, picking up a pencil for the teacher, telling Miss Adams that Patrick Johnson had peed on the floor, or something equally trivial.

The sad thing is, the ability to edit comments would be a benefit to the site as a whole if *everyone* had it. It seems utterly bizarre to develop genuinely useful functionality and then limit it to a subset.

9. Steve Knox
    Trollface

How about a Devil's Advocate badge

For those posts which may have received a lot of downvotes, but generated some serious conversations?

Trolling isn't all bad, you know ; )

10. Haku

Perception.

Something I'm now curious about is how will other commentards perceive the comments of those who have badges next to their names, and will there be an option to hide the badge if you receive one and don't wish to display it.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Perception.

Haku,

Since my badge appeared, someone seems to have downvoted the first half page of my posts. Heaven knows why they bothered...

Are they embittered because my badge is better than theirs? Or have El Reg turned me into a trolling monster, by giving me a golden vulture?

Yippee! Just got to edit a typo.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. jake Silver badge

Do what I do. Ignore up/down votes. They are even more meaningless than pseudo-Olympic medals.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Sometimes the downvotes are interesting. Particularly when someone takes the trouble to waste 15 minutes of their life downvoting your posts one after the other. That's downright fascinating. One hopes, this being an IT site, that they've written a script to do it...

On the other hand votes can counteract the echo-chamber that many internet forums become. For example: It's still kool to hate Micro$oft, apparently. However even if 90% of the comments on a thread are on that theme, a comment that's a bit more balanced will often find more upvotes than downvotes - even thought the composition of the thread would indicate to the contrary. I guess that means there really is a silent majority. Many people just don't enjoy an argument, which is fair enough.

Plus, I'm always willing to upvote a good pun. Or even a bad one.

11. Shonko Kid
    Mushroom

Goals?

How about some encouragement to earn badges, so It could say 'You've posted 89 times this last year, only 11 left to go for a Bronze badge' or 'You're only a few rounds of beer and a cattle prod away from a Gold badge'

1. Shonko Kid
      WTF?

Re: Goals?

Thumbs down?!? Don't you people like setting yourself goals? Or was it the suggestion that voting could be swayed by bribery and/or physical violence?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Gold, silver, bronze...

...and a rusty sheriff's badge for Andrew and Lewis, I hope.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

There should be a 'martyr for his people' badge for people who've often been heavily-downvoted in posts containing the phrase "At least [in whatever country / here] we [etc etc]"...

Perhaps badges for people who've used certain icons an absurd number of times? EG, 'I'll be here all week' for using lots of get-my-coat badges, or 'pyrotechnician' for using lots of 'flames' icons, or 'obnoxious little git' for using lots of penguin icons...

Badges like the 'top ten upvoted posts' idea but for posters who've had highly-controversial posts (tons of upvotes AND downvotes - say, upV + downV / (1 + abs(upV - downV), or something like that... Maybe that one should be a magnet: You know - polarizing?

I see what I did there...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

(Oh, and, if any of the previous are accepted, it goes without saying that there should be a badge for 'had a badge suggestion accepted'...)

And maybe a badge for people who won a Reg contest and never got their t-shirt and man that was like years ago but now never will because they attacked Andrew Orlowski's IP positions too many times. I mean... it has to happen quite a bit, right?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And maybe a badge for people who won a Reg contest and never got their t-shirt and man that was like years ago but now never will because they attacked Andrew Orlowski's IP positions too many times. I mean... it has to happen quite a bit, right?"

I'm still waiting for my packet of "Camel Balls" and -why yes- I may have disparaged Mr. Orlowski once or twice. Put me down for one of those.

14. b166er

A pendant for chief pedant?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon